gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:54:52 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Holland
5 - 72 (40.9%)
4 - 69 (39.2%)
3 - 30 (17%)
2 - 5 (2.8%)
1 - 0 (0%)
0 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 163

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Holland  (Read 109506 times)
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #175 on: July 07, 2013, 02:27:56 AM »

Holland is a tremendous album from start to finish (and Funky Pretty is amazing btw), although admittedly it is a little short (aren't almost all of their records??)

Anyway, I think this would've made for a damn good track-listing (no We Got Love coz it's lame):

1. Sail On Sailor
2. Steamboat
3. Big Sur
4. Beaks Of Eagles
5. California
6. Hard Times

7. Trader
8. Carry Me Home
9. Leaving This Town
10. Only With You
11. It's A New Day
12. Funky Pretty

12. Mt Vernon & Fairway EP
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 07, 2013, 02:58:54 AM »

I agree with that, except for the fact that I think 'Carry Me Home' is a definite album closer, if there ever was one.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #177 on: July 07, 2013, 01:35:56 PM »

I agree with that, except for the fact that I think 'Carry Me Home' is a definite album closer, if there ever was one.

Hmm, I think Carry Me Home is a bit too intense and hard-hitting to end an album on. Second to last track would probably be better, with Funky Pretty to round the album off and lighten the tone.
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 22, 2013, 12:19:45 AM »

i gave this record a 1 but I really love Sail On Sailor. That song is one of The Boys' greatest accomplishments.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: August 22, 2013, 07:14:45 AM »

i gave this record a 1 but I really love Sail On Sailor. That song is one of The Boys' greatest accomplishments.
What? A one?
Have you listened to this whole album? It's one of the most creative output the band has ever released and one of the last great albums! Track by track, there's something here for everyone. If you've only listened a couple of times, perhaps it grows on you? All I know is that the beach boys accomplish something amazing without that much help from Brian…please don't ream me for saying that, but with Brian only involved in the writing of the first and last songs and the EP, it seems the rest of the guys took up the gauntlet on this one.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: August 22, 2013, 04:37:59 PM »

What? A one?
Have you listened to this whole album? It's one of the most creative output the band has ever released and one of the last great albums! Track by track, there's something here for everyone. If you've only listened a couple of times, perhaps it grows on you? All I know is that the beach boys accomplish something amazing without that much help from Brian…please don't ream me for saying that, but with Brian only involved in the writing of the first and last songs and the EP, it seems the rest of the guys took up the gauntlet on this one.

I just don't like the self conscious roots rock style they adopted with Ricky and Blondie... I also find the songwriting very lacking both on this album and CATP... some of the songs, particularly those by Dennis and Blondie, are absolutely dreadful. The terrible tag on Only With You always makes me crack up "All I want to do - OOOO is spend my life with you - OOOO." Dennis wrote some great songs from 1968-1969 but, who knows, Daryl Dragon must have corrupted him into writing absolute pap. Only With You, Barbara, and Make It Good are some of the worst songs I've ever heard, lyrically and musically,and they all came from Dennis during this period.
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: August 23, 2013, 05:13:12 PM »

it just needed to be done.

Sunflower and Surf's Up 4 life
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 24, 2013, 12:41:07 PM »

I think "Steamboat" is pretty cool. Dennis should've written more songs like that and "Celebrate The News".
bluesno1fann
« Reply #183 on: August 31, 2013, 10:36:07 PM »

I find this album to be slightly overrated. Still great but admittedly I prefer "Carl and the Passions".
"Sail on Sailor" is the standout, one of the best tracks off this album. "Steamboat" is pretty good, although it can get a bit boring.
The California saga could have been a lot better, especially "Big Sur". I prefer the "Landlocked" version of "Big Sur".
After that the album goes up with "The Trader". The next three tracks are also pretty good, especially "Leaving this Town".
"Mount Vernon and Fairway" is a bit too silly in my opinion, but still highly interesting. Love Jack Rieley's narration!
Overall, I give this album a 3.5 out of 5. The album is a near-classic, no doubt about that. But if they gave this album a little bit more time and work on it, better production, make it less boring, replace "Big Sur" with the "Landlocked" version, and add "We Got Love", "Hard Times" and possibly "Carry Me Home", the album would have been one of the best the Beach Boys ever made. Oh well...
RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 16, 2013, 02:14:19 AM »

Definetely in my top-5 all time favorite albums ever. Maybe in top-3 even. This could have been their
best album, easily, if they'd just chosen the album tracks more wisely. Such a shame they left off stuff like
Carry me home, Hard times and We got love. Those should've been on this record. I love the sound and
production of this album, just perfect.

Sail on sailor: 4/5
Perfect opener. Blondie's vocals are awesome, lyrics are good. I love the sound of the whole thing,
nothing they ever made before or after sounds the same. It's so unique.

Steambot: 3/5
Dullest track of the album. I hated it first. Only Dennis track I haven't liked straight on from first listen.
And it kinda kills the flow right after Sail on sailor. This should've been moved somewhere else in my opinion.
Not a bad song though.

Big sur: 4/5
Best thing Mike ever wrote, that's enough said.

Beaks of eagles: 3/5
Spoken parts are bit dull. But I still love it. And this really makes the last part "California" for what it
is, one of the best "fun songs" ever. But it doesn't work so well if it's taken out of it's context, meaning the album.

California: 5/5
Like I just said, incredible! Best part is the opening and the first lines by Brian of course. But it isn't as
great if you listen it separately. Even though the single mix is better than the album one. This is just pure gold.

Trader: 4/5
Love this, maybe best Carl track after Long promised road. Not pefect, but not far away. Really, really great track.

Leaving this town: 4/5
That synth solo! And the fade-out with Mike is amazing. Classic.

Only with you: 4/5
I wish Dennis would've had the lead on this, even though I like Carl's vocals too. It just would've been a 5/5 song
with Dennis. Though the version he recorded later isn't as good as this one. It goes on for too long, the ending of this
version is a lot better.

Funky pretty: 5/5
Perfect end for an almost perfect album. I love every part of this, but especially the synths and all the weid sounds in
the background. It's just so funky!

Mount Vernon & Fairway: 5/5
Don't really think this as a piece of music, even though the music parts are fantastic. Once again: the synths!
So great. They did the right thing when they didn't put this on the album itself. It's perfect on its own. Oh and the Pied piper!
Makes me laugh every time :D

So for the album I give 4/5. Even though it's more like 4.6 or something. It just could have been better. But still I love it. It's the best album to
listen when you're depressed. It makes you feel a lot better.
slippingonthrough
Smiley Smile Associate

Male eagle walking down the street....

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: February 20, 2014, 09:15:28 PM »

Holland is probably one of my favorite Beach Boys Albums. Sail On Sailor is one of the best songs they made in 1970s shame it wasn't a hit. Steamboat actually makes me feel like I'm on a steamboat, a great Dennis song. The California Saga is probably my favourite part of the album. Big Sur is beautiful and features Mike's best singing and lyrics. The Beaks of Eagles may not be everyone's cup of tea but I love it. I like how the minor key poem readings contrast with the major key choruses. And California is just a fun, country-like beach boys song which anyone can enjoy. I also love the flutes that connect each song. The Trader is probably Carl's best song and another highlight. Leaving This Town didn't catch on me at first but now I think it's great (That keyboard solo is awesome). Only with you is probably the only song where i think they could have done better after hearing the live version (I don't really like the you-oo bits). Funky Pretty  lives up to it's name (it does sounds like Mt. Vernon).

5/5. Great, enjoyable album. I don't think the Mt. Vernon should count as part of my score, It really isn't part of the album.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 09:18:47 PM by slippingonthrough » Logged
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: March 03, 2014, 04:16:01 PM »

Another Lp that attracted the hippie//stoner crowd..  This Lp + Surfs Up LP  went beyond the core BB audience .. This LP was VERY popular in its day.. Cover art OK ///  music 4/5  .. The only song here that  bothers me  is Fairytale  // Mt Vernon.. Yea I know im in the minority here.. BUT.. I like the back ground music a lot but the rest of it is a children's record which doesn't interest me one bit.. I find a full grown adult recording + writing this then throwing a fit when it wasn't going to be included on  the lp alarming.. The rest of the LP is very good and my only other criticism  is Steamboat a little to long for my taste..
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: March 03, 2014, 04:36:01 PM »

Another Lp that attracted the hippie//stoner crowd..  This Lp + Surfs Up LP  went beyond the core BB audience .. This LP was VERY popular in its day.. Cover art OK ///  music 4/5  .. The only song here that  bothers me  is Fairytale  // Mt Vernon.. Yea I know im in the minority here.. BUT.. I like the back ground music a lot but the rest of it is a children's record which doesn't interest me one bit.. I find a full grown adult recording + writing this then throwing a fit when it wasn't going to be included on  the lp alarming.. The rest of the LP is very good and my only other criticism  is Steamboat a little to long for my taste..
Thank god for Fairy Tale Music. I always use this as a replacement in my playlist.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: March 03, 2014, 05:06:20 PM »

Yea when they compiled the fairytale music and put it on the 93 box set I was overjoyed.. Great music.. Dare I say a little Smile ish..?  Maybe it reminds me of the music box Bicycle Rider refrain..?  I always wondered what Reprise reps said when Carl forced  the fairytale onto a separate bonus record.. And Brian must have been very fragile to write that ..  Which now makes me think of Child of Winter for some reason..
clinikillz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: March 12, 2014, 05:34:55 AM »

1. Sail On, Sailor
2. The Trader
3. California Saga: Big Sur
4. Leaving This Town
5.. Funky Pretty
6. California Saga: California
7. Steamboat
8. Only With You
9. California Saga: The Beaks of Eagles
10. Mt. Vernon and Fairway (A Fairy Tale)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 05:42:34 AM by clinikillz » Logged
Sangheon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: November 19, 2014, 04:11:39 AM »

1 Sail on Sailor
2 Trader
3 Leaving This Town
4 Carry Me Home
5 Only With You
6 Funky Pretty

7 Steamboat
8 Big sur
9 The Beaks of Eagles
10 California
11 We Got Love
12 Mt. veron and fairway
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #191 on: November 30, 2014, 07:58:44 PM »

My wife and I have been together for a long, LONG time.  We only got officially married 3 years ago this coming February in Jamaica.  The three main songs played at our ceremony...

1.  The Wedding Song...Paul Stookey  Serenade
2.  Only With You...Beach Boys   Kiss
3.  Turn Your Lights Down Low...Bob Marley Cool Guy

So Holland is a pretty important album for us...although Lucy like Dennis's version on Pacific Ocean Blue a lot as well. Pirate

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #192 on: February 02, 2015, 10:34:47 PM »

This sounds like a much more natural and worthy follow-up from Sunflower than Surfs Up. I haven't heard CATP:ST. It has that same cohesive flow of sounds and ideas. It's the perfect blend of gritty 70s sound and the old 60s harmonies, of progressive ideas and throwbacks to their noble roots. It also just plain sounds good. Definitely their best '70s release by far.

The best track is Sail on Sailor, which is probably the best song the band made in the 70s, and what I would most imagine a hit single from the band in the new decade to sound like. The worst is Only With You, which is so monotonous it put me to sleep and so syrupy sweet it could cause diabetes.

I love the cover art. Along with Smiley, Wild Honey and SMiLE it's probably the best to ever grace a Beach Boys cover.

Now, regarding the EP... What the actual fuc|< did I just listen to? I mean, it's not bad...But it's certainly not good either. I do love what Brian was trying to do, but it's all so weird and flawed in its execution that it's hard to really enjoy. It's too bizarre and, kinda boring, to be funny. There's something vaguely creepy about it that keeps it from being serene or sweet. The story itself is nonsensical and meandering which keeps it from being compelling or imagination-inspiring. I really do appreciate the general idea, but I agree that it could have greatly benefited from more work, a better writer collaborating on it, and perhaps more material to flesh it out into a truly satisfying story. I have mixed feelings about Jack Reilly's narration too. It has a warmth to it. Like your dad, or a soothing audio book reading you a bedtime story. But it's also pretty monotonous and unexpressive which keeps me from getting truly engaged with the whole thing. So, as it exists now, it's definitely a curio. A WTF recording to perplex yourself with or spring on your friends with no context to weird them out. But little more. I also felt a connection to SMiLE with this that others seemed to pick up on. In that sense, there's a whole other dimension of interest with this surreal recording.

Overall, I give the whole thing a 4. I wonder how the fairytale would have been if Brian stayed engaged throughout.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 12:24:25 AM by Mujan, B@st@rd Son of a Blue Wizard » Logged

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: February 03, 2015, 01:40:41 AM »

Have you heard the music (edited) without the narration? Some people can take it better that way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ0hrRM4B4Q

Please delete my account
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #194 on: February 03, 2015, 09:34:43 AM »

Have you heard the music (edited) without the narration? Some people can take it better that way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ0hrRM4B4Q

Sounds very nice, but very unfinished and bare in that context.

I just wish the concept had been fleshed out properly back in the day. Very ironic and maddening that the band was so dismissive of Brian's last really creative idea for them, and caused him to completely lose interest in it, and the three years later they're dragging him into the studio out of greed and desperation, and gladly accepting the crap* he shovels out. Really really sad story. Almost poetic justice in a way, except that we the listeners got cheated out of some really great music (a fully realized musical fairy tale and another great collaboration album in '76)

*No offense to Brian, but 15BOs is pure junk. Not his fault though--he wasn't ready to be shoved back into the studio. When he got his bearings again, he made love you, which is a classic.

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
KDS
« Reply #195 on: April 16, 2015, 10:49:22 AM »

After some of the missteps of CATPST, the new Beach Boys lineup hit the ground running with this 70s classic - a FIVE. 

The album kicks off with the excellent Sail On Sailor. 

Then, you have the mini-epic, Steamboat.  Carl brings more great vocals on a wonderful Dennis song. 

Next is perhaps Mike Love's finest hour - the three part California Saga.  On this song, The Beach Boys found their 1970s sound.  Its a shame they didn't stick with it.

The Trader is another good Carl song.

Leaving This Town is one of the most underrated songs in the history of TBB.   It almost sounds like the music Pink Floyd was doing at the time.

Only With You, another beautiful Dennis song.

The album closes with Funky Pretty, a fun song. 

If not for Endless Summer, we might've got more albums like this.  Sadly, that's not the case, and quality control went down the tubes pretty quickly.  It would be almost 40 years before The Beach Boys put out an album this good (no offense, Love You fans). 

PS------When I rate this album, I don't include the Mt. Vernon Fairytale.  Quite frankly, I'm glad its a separate EP.  Just my opinion, but I don't think its one of Brian Wilson's finer moments, and completely doesn't fit with Holland at all.  I know a lot of people here like this EP, but I'm not a fan. 
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: September 25, 2015, 09:45:31 AM »

1. Sail On Sailor 5/5
2. Steamboat 4/5
3. Big Sur 5/5
4. Beaks Of Eagles 5/5
5. California 4/5
6. Leaving This Town 5/5
7. Only With You 4/5
8. Funky Pretty 4/5
9. Mt. Vernon And Fairway 5/5

The last truly great album from The 'Boys.
Easily 5/5.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
KDS
« Reply #197 on: September 25, 2015, 09:48:20 AM »

1. Sail On Sailor 5/5
2. Steamboat 4/5
3. Big Sur 5/5
4. Beaks Of Eagles 5/5
5. California 4/5
6. Leaving This Town 5/5
7. Only With You 4/5
8. Funky Pretty 4/5
9. Mt. Vernon And Fairway 5/5

The last truly great album from The 'Boys.
Easily 5/5.

The Trader? 
You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: March 26, 2016, 09:57:22 AM »

Their second best album after Pet Sounds, lots of atmosphere on tracks like Steamboat and The Trader.

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: May 07, 2016, 03:06:42 PM »

This is such a strong album, mostly minus Brian, it kind of boggles the mind that they couldn't continue to make quality albums like this. All of the guys were writing, and it's nice to hear Mike able to do something other than sun/fun/cars/girls lyrics. I would call this the best group oriented effort after Sunflower.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx