gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:57:38 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Holland
5 - 72 (40.9%)
4 - 69 (39.2%)
3 - 30 (17%)
2 - 5 (2.8%)
1 - 0 (0%)
0 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 163

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Holland  (Read 109466 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2006, 05:48:28 PM »

Song Cycle, for me, but that's off topic of Holland, isn't it?

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
BananaLouie
Smiley Smile Associate

Columnated ruins domino

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 28, 2006, 05:49:24 PM »

Song Cycle is his first album from 68 isn't it?

"I'm not a genius. I'm just a hard working guy." - Brian Wilson
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 28, 2006, 05:51:09 PM »

yep.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

BananaLouie
Smiley Smile Associate

Columnated ruins domino

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 28, 2006, 05:52:43 PM »

It's a good one.

"I'm not a genius. I'm just a hard working guy." - Brian Wilson
jazzfascist
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 29, 2006, 06:27:58 AM »

BTW here's a picture of Robinson Jeffers who wrote "Beaks Of Eagles".

I wonder where Mike and Al got to know that poem. I don't know if he is a widely known american poet or if he was just hip at that point in time

Søren

"How can I come on, when I know I'm filthy"
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 29, 2006, 07:18:39 AM »

I just Googled and read a few biographies, and it seems his popularity in America was in the midst of an all-time low in the two decades after his death in 1962! (On the other hand, Eastern Europeans were apparently into him at the time.)

However, here might be the answer as to why he was popular with the Beach Boys, or Al anyway:

"Robinson Jeffers is frequently described as the quintessential California poet. Living for many years just south of Carmel, he set many of his long narratives at specific locations along the coast-Point Sur, Point Lobos and Pico Blanco."

- Janice Albert

jazzfascist
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 29, 2006, 09:54:36 AM »

I just Googled and read a few cadelaies, and it seems his popularity in America was in the midst of an all-time low in the two decades after his death in 1962! (On the other hand, Eastern Europeans were apparently into him at the time.)

However, here might be the answer as to why he was popular with the Beach Boys, or Al anyway:

"Robinson Jeffers is frequently described as the quintessential California poet. Living for many years just south of Carmel, he set many of his long narratives at specific locations along the coast-Point Sur, Point Lobos and Pico Blanco."

- Janice Albert

Robinson Jeffers also subscribed to a kind of animistic philosophy called “inhumanism”, something that sounds like it was a forerunner to ecologism, which might also have attracted Al and Mike. Here’s some of Jeffers thoughts:

”The first part of The Double Axe was written during the war and finished a year before the war ended, and it bears the scars; but the poem is not primarily concerned with that grim folly. Its burden, as of some previous work of mine, is to present a certain philosophical attitude, which might be called Inhumanism, a shifting of emphasis and significance from man to not-man; the rejection of human solipsism and recognition of the transhuman magnificence. It seems time that our race began to think as an adult does, rather than like an egocentric baby or insane person. This manner of thought and feeling is neither misanthropic nor pessimist, though two or three people have said so and may again. It involves no falsehoods, and is a means of maintaining sanity in slippery times; it has objective truth and human value. It offers a reasonable detachment as rule of conduct, instead of love, hate and envy. It neutralizes fanaticism and wild hopes; but it provides magnificence for the religious instinct, and satisfies our need to admire greatness and rejoice in beauty.”

Another Big Sur writer was Henry Miller but he probably didn’t supply any appropriate nature poems.

Søren

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 29, 2006, 09:56:09 AM »

Another Big Sur writer was Henry Miller but he probably didn’t supply any appropriate nature poems.

Søren

All depends on your definition of appropriate, I suppose...

jazzfascist
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 29, 2006, 10:26:53 AM »

Søren

All depends on your definition of appropriate, I suppose...

Yeah, and nature.

Søren

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 29, 2006, 08:45:36 PM »

i always defended brian on being so involved with this and i just thought about, and he only sang like one vocal for the album, which was the begining of California, forgive me/correct me if i'm wrong...though Funky Pretty/Sail On sailor are great songs...now aside from holland, the Mt. Vernon ep is steller....

i always hear people say this album is too serious, can somebody tell me why?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 29, 2006, 09:27:05 PM »

It's a drag. No humor or lightness, except on Pretty, the worst tune of all. The lyrics and tone are extremely serious, without the lightness of touch evident on Don't Go Near The Water and Feel Flows.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 10, 2006, 08:38:42 AM »

"Steamboat" rules.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 12, 2006, 03:01:36 AM »

Of course in places it lacks the lightness and humor of even Surf's Up, yet for me that's part of the fun. Personally I love the idea of the group's exerted seriousness being utterly sabotaged by the Mt. Vernon and Fairway EP. It's no wonder they didn't know what to make of that one. Only With You, Big Sur and Sailor are big favorites of mine.

By the way, I'd really love to hear the single version of "California". I've even downloaded the long deleted Ten Years of Harmony comp, but what I got to hear was nothing but the widely available Holland version. So if anyone would be so kind to provide me with any sort of 'information' about it, I'd be very, very grateful.
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 12, 2006, 10:51:18 AM »

Brian says "On my way" a couple more times during the song (you can actually hear this in the album mix at 0:52 and 1:09). There's a groovy horn part that pops up a little more prevalently after the "cypress tree" part. I think there's more banjo in there, too. Overall, it's a little bouncier and punchier, but I find the vocal mix isn't quite as good (especially at the start), but some different parts are highlighted, which is cool. The audible Brian parts are cool, too. I think I prefer the single mix, though it took some getting used to. It really picks up when the verses start.

It's available on the Greatest Hits Vol III CD (The Brother Years one).

Watch out for snakes!
theeponymuseudonym
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 13, 2006, 06:37:33 PM »

sit down kids, tis is goon be a story for ye.

1991/92 i bought the long box caribou reissue of this offering.
these are my initial recollections...
steamboat-psychedelic roll on my head.....i loved the close miked michael Love.

the california saga- many a bus ride higher than a kite groovin' on the beakes of eagles.
 the craziest BB lyric released!!! about the mother deer and son mating!!!! Wild situation indeed!!!
wall of voodoo look out!

sail on sailor, leaving this town, only with you,sounded like they had been listening  to way too much Chicago.
no wonder tey eventually hooked up. speaking of tat....
the fairy tale blew my mind...i loved this with a passion uncontested.
my girlfriend gave me a blow because she loved it so.
when the lights are allll out i can still hear the whirling magic sounds of the pied  piper thru my transistor....

domdomkingdom
raditingthruthemistynightttt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
INDEED
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 13, 2006, 07:08:00 PM »

Take writing lessons and get a spelling dictionary.

Evenreven
« Reply #66 on: February 13, 2006, 07:12:33 PM »

Funny how Mike and Matt disappeared, and another poster with no capitalised lettering and wretched spelling appears.
theeponymuseudonym
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 13, 2006, 07:34:56 PM »

you catch where i'm comin' from?
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #68 on: February 14, 2006, 01:17:35 PM »

Holland is, in my book, one of the Beach Boys’ better albums. I like it particularly because it sounds like a band that is still growing. It sounds very current and not nostalgic like a lot of their other work. And, unlike So Tough, the Flame contributions fit in a little better this time around. I like “Leaving this Town” a lot. “Sail on Sailor” is a great cut. My wife and I are quite fond of “Only With You”, which we  requested for our wedding but were denied (for that price they should play anything I say, don’t you think?). Big Sur shows Mike’s writing talent, as he did it all by himself. I was hoping his upcoming solo album would be more in this vein. I skip “The Beaks of Eagles” and get right to California; I don’t like hearing them talking about birds mating. Jardine delivers an original (for once), this time a mutation of “California Girls”. I would have liked to hear a Dennis vocal on the album, but I guess he was too busy.  His “Steamboat”, is okay. I tend to zone out on it. Funky Pretty is cool but the outro goes on forever. So, in conclusion, I name Holland the Beach Boy’s third best effort of the 70’s (after Sunflower and Love You).
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 14, 2006, 01:20:18 PM »

I don’t like hearing them talking about birds mating.

I don't like Sex And The City either.

I am diggin' your reviews. Continue.

Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 09, 2006, 12:03:37 AM »

Did ML really write Big Sur all by himself? Music and lyrics right?

That's impressive. It's one of my favorite songs of theirs.

What instrument did he write on? Surely not a sax :D

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
beachboyphil
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 10, 2006, 01:23:54 PM »

Sail On Sailor, California Saga, Leaving This Town.......all classics, but my real winner on Holland is Only With You, beautiful from start to finish.

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 14, 2006, 08:46:18 AM »

so many say leaving this town is overrated, i love it myself and it isnt overrated in my book

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 24, 2006, 11:24:23 PM »

Funky Pretty itself makes this album 5/5 regardless of what the haters say.

this album has hit for hit.

sailor, steamboat, big sur, trader, and only with you.

but for me, its all about funky pretty.

why cant you tell me why?

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 29, 2006, 09:54:06 AM »

for once, someone gives Funky Pretty some credit! i love it, it's such agreat predessor to Mt. Vernon and Fairway

~post of the century~
-Mikie

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx