gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 06:04:04 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Holland
5 - 72 (40.9%)
4 - 69 (39.2%)
3 - 30 (17%)
2 - 5 (2.8%)
1 - 0 (0%)
0 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 163

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Holland  (Read 112117 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 31, 2008, 02:31:10 PM »

I'll say this: I don't (and can't) argue that it doesn't capture the period well. Having not been there, though, I can only guess. And for me that makes it an irrelevant point. I can only go by the quality of the songs (mostly good) and the quality of the performances (good) and my taste (brilliant, if I do say so myself!). Among my favorite 4-5 BBs albums, probably. But that doesn't equal classic album for me.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
brianc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 31, 2008, 02:39:45 PM »

I know. But to some of us, that's no compliment.

It's not meant to be complimentory, nor pajorative in nature. Just a general statement.
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: July 31, 2008, 03:24:50 PM »

I dont find it pretentious myself--in fact, I think it seems surprisingly unpretentious. I also dont really see it as "prog-rock". For me, Smile is much more prog-rock, maybe my definition of prog rock is different. Maybe Steamboat is kind of prog-rocky.

I can see the poem on the Beaks of Eagles not being everyone's cup of tea, but when I open up my heart it kind of works for me--and the backing music makes it sound even better.

Music Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 17, 2009, 10:11:26 PM »

Trader really makes this album for me, I think it's one of the best 70's Beach Boys tracks. I also like the overall sound/ production of this album, it very much reminds me of the Beatles' Abbey Road and '72 - '75 Pink Floyd.
Marty77
Smiley Smile Associate

Boys And Girls.I give you Cumbernauld Town Centre!

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 18, 2009, 05:50:16 AM »

I would really love to hear an instrumental + backing vocals version of "beaks of eagles". The background vocals are especially intriguing.

"Dont' you think the Beach Boys are boss??!! ....I don't like that surfing sh*t"
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 18, 2009, 04:40:15 PM »

I would really love to hear an instrumental + backing vocals version of "beaks of eagles". The background vocals are especially intriguing.
So would I. The poetry doesn't ruin it for me ... but it doesn't help.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Marty77
Smiley Smile Associate

Boys And Girls.I give you Cumbernauld Town Centre!

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 19, 2009, 03:24:31 AM »

So would I. The poetry doesn't ruin it for me ... but it doesn't help.

Yeah. I like the poetry. It's just Al's delivery that kind of puts me off listening to it all that often. Sounds like it was done in one take.

"Dont' you think the Beach Boys are boss??!! ....I don't like that surfing sh*t"
wallabie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: August 26, 2009, 06:19:08 AM »

Well, I´d say that "Holland" is my favorite Beach Boys Album. I really love the California Saga... it´s a good tribute to California from grown up musicians.... So if you´d ask me... "If you have to go on an uninhabitat island, which Album would you take with you" my respond would be: "I´ve been to an uninhabitate Island and I took Holland with me" Smiley

"Even a broken clock is right twice a day"
www.beachboys-germany.com
sleeptalk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 03, 2009, 11:59:04 PM »

sorry, but this one really hasn't clicked for me yet. the only song that i really dig here is "big sur," and there's a much superior alternate version of it floating around. so-called classics like "sail on sailor" and "only with you" sound off to me, for whatever reason. and brian's suite of BS at the end is the worst thing he's ever done.
sleeptalk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 04, 2009, 12:04:44 AM »

ooh, "steamboat" is pretty dope, too.

and why oh why do they have to do that stupid, stupid poetry in "the beaks of eagles?" other than that, it could have been a great song! lovely lead vocal melody, and backing vocals...
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 12:09:31 AM by sleeptalk » Logged
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: October 04, 2009, 09:12:08 PM »

It's a poem, that's why.

I think Beaks of Eagles is one of the coolest songs in the Beach Boys catalogue.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
TheLazenby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 22, 2010, 06:16:32 AM »

I listened to the "California Saga" recently, and I didn't see what was so bad about 'Beaks Of Eagles'...  I just heard "Hard Times" as well; fantastic song.  I've loving all that I'm hearing of Blondie and Rikki's BB's output.

As for "Mount Vernon and Fairway" - brilliant.  Brian's childish side at its best - take that, second movement of Smile! :-)
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 24, 2010, 01:42:28 PM »

I must be one of the only people in the word who doesn't mind Al reading poetry (I'm also thinking of "Santa Ana Winds", which isn't poetry, but the spoken intro is still reviled by most BB fans - I find it endearing in a dorky way).
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 24, 2010, 03:08:28 PM »

I like the spoken word bits in "California Saga" a lot, in fact I think they really add to the overall feel of Holland. That record wouldn't be the same without "The Beaks of Eagles".
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: February 26, 2010, 03:28:54 PM »

You ever see those videos of teenage girls lipsyncing and dancing to Barbara Ann or Fun Fun Fun or something? Imagine that with Beaks of Eagles.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
slothrop
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 11, 2010, 12:56:56 PM »

I like the spoken word bits in "California Saga" a lot, in fact I think they really add to the overall feel of Holland. That record wouldn't be the same without "The Beaks of Eagles".

Agreed. Mike always sounds so damn peaceful for how much people rag on him.
Don_Zabu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 26, 2010, 04:55:02 PM »

I like to pretend that "Only With You" is the last track. "Funky Pretty" is just way to weird for me to stomach.

Aside from that, though, Holland was definitely The Beach Boys's last true masterpiece (Love You being the last good album). I love the atmosphere, I love the singing, I love Blondie and Ricky's contributions, and I love how much it proves Mike and Al's wasted aptitude as songwriters and lyricists.
LetHimRun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 02, 2010, 05:35:57 PM »

This, along with CATP, has grown on me over the times I keep listening. I really like Leaving this Town and Steamboat. The rest are great, too. I gave it a 5, a notch above CATP.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 13, 2010, 01:26:19 PM »

I love 'Holland'.

It is the perfect album to take camping. Sitting next to a fire listening to 'Steamboat' or 'Big Sur' is surreal. I skip 'Beaks of Eagles' because I cannot listen to that poem over and over again (though the chorus' are great).

The only song I don't enjoy that much is 'Funky Pretty' - it isn't a bad song, but just like 'TM' with 'Friends', it ruins the chill vibe of the entire record. Plus I can hardly understand the vocals.

It is a short but worthwhile album. It's far from my favorite BBs album but far from the worst.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 16, 2010, 05:38:13 AM »

I got this on vinyl for £2 and i love it even more. although my copy didn't have the EP  Angry

It's WAY too short though. A revised tracklisting could probably have 'Out In The Country' at the start, then as normal sticking 'Hard Times' after the Trader, and a finished Carry Me Home at the end....

I'll give it a 4. Really good, but could be much better.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Don_Zabu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 09, 2010, 10:17:08 AM »

When it comes to Mount Vernon and Fairway, the music is quite nice, but the story itself doesn't make a whole lot of sense, and it probably would've ended up better in the hands of another writer.

Actually, I wish Mike Love had written the fairy tale proper. If "Big Sur" is anything to go on, he obviously had some poetic beauty in him at that timeframe, so it would've at the very least been an interesting combination.
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 16, 2011, 05:59:47 PM »

1. Sail On Sailor 10/10
2. Steamboat 9.5/10
3. Big Sur 8.5/10
4. Beaks Of Eagles 7.5/10
5. California 9.5/10
6. Leaving This Town 9/10
7. Only With You 9/10
8. Funky Pretty 10/10
9. Mt. Vernon And Fairway 10/10

Album Rating: 9.22

A discipline daddy.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 31, 2011, 07:57:29 PM »

Just got done listening to Holland front to back with headphones (first time actually) and either I'm nuts or I can suddenly hear Brian in the fade singing "someone say why" in a somewhat "smokey Brian" voice!

Am I crazy???
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 31, 2011, 08:14:27 PM »

is it in the right speaker? Because I hear a semi-raspy voice singing something, but I can't make out what is being sung....
______

The more I listen to Funky Pretty, the more I love it. I've put it up there with 'A Day In The Life' and 'Across The Universe' - it's such a cosmically beautiful song.

How I wish I could've been a fly on the wall during the composition/recording of this.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 31, 2011, 08:32:28 PM »

Yes, it is in the right speaker.

I was listening to somewhat absentmindedly while at work and when that line came in it was as if Brian walked into the room and said something. It just rang loud and clear as Brian. Now when I listen again, it could be anybody, but I still suspect it's him.

Funky Pretty is indeed epic and a perfect album closer.

I LOVE the version on In Concert, but the tag on the album version is just sublime and Brian's drums really ground the track in a great simple way.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx