gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:22:54 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Holland
5 - 72 (40.9%)
4 - 69 (39.2%)
3 - 30 (17%)
2 - 5 (2.8%)
1 - 0 (0%)
0 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 163

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Holland  (Read 109585 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2006, 01:29:13 PM »

To me, the low point is the EXTREEEMELY dragging "Steamboat,"
I've never heard anyone say that. I don't agree, but congratulations on an original thought!

Really, to me, "Carl and the Passions" and 'Holland" are really one big long record that to me equals "Sunflower" as my very favorite period in the group's history.

I don't quite agree--I think that if you let me pick 10-12 songs from those two albums, I would put together something that far surpasses Sunflower for me.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2006, 07:40:32 PM »

That's just for effort mostly. But I do love love love Trader and Steamboat. Maybe its pretentious but I really dig Leaving This Town 'cause it's great to listen to when you're drunk and I like the synthesizer/organ solo.

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
Jason
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2006, 07:33:05 AM »

Now if the band included It's A New Day on this album, it would've merited more than a 3 from me, maybe a 4. Seriously, that track is just that good.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2006, 10:15:51 AM »

Holland seemed to have a purpose; something totally lacking in the subsequent albums.  I don't think there's any evidence to suggest that a 95 album would've blown the others away.  There are some good Paley/BW songs and there are some weak ones.  You probably would've had an album with the feel of a 60s one.  Maybe Sean O'Hagan could've pulled off something interesting... On the other hand, by this time, the Lovester's lyrics aren't up to much - just listen to Bummer in Paradise or the stuff off his new album - even worse than Kalinich's on GIOMH, which is saying something.

You raise some interesting issues, Ed.

First, I agree that Holland did appear to have a purpose. I felt they were trying to make an ARTISTIC statement with the lyrical content, specifically the poetry, and by actually composing a "suite" with California Saga. The recordings were slick, with various noises and sound effects. The group used sound effects before, but not to this extent. The album title alone, Holland, would suggest that the group was disassociating themselves from California, yet half of the album was about California. Interesting. And remember, Holland was originally rejected by the record company.

I also wonder what the 1995 album would've sounded like and what Mike's role would've been. By that time, Mike was calling a lot of the shots, and he would've demanded major input. Would've he demanded to supply his own lyrics to the Paley tracks?

And lastly, I'm sure Steve Kalinich is a great guy who writes lovely poetry. But with very few exceptions, HIS LYRICS TO BEACH BOYS/BRIAN WILSON SONGS ARE TERRIBLE!!!!!!!!!
Glenn Greenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2006, 02:54:33 PM »

I give this a 3. I place it about at the same level as Surf's Up.

I especially love "Trader," "Sail on Sailor," and "California." 

Glenn
Howdy Doody
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2006, 07:19:33 PM »

Holland is very beautiful in spots and boring sadly in others.  Funky Pretty is a magical little song and trancends as well as Mt. Vernon and fairway is beautiful.
Carl LaFong
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2006, 12:22:25 PM »

You must hold the sleeve upside down. Not many people know that.
Apart from that: 4 points.
It is the Beach Boys attempt at a The Band album, and not unsuccessful.
CLF.
Jason
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2006, 12:32:40 PM »

I still think this is the most overrated BBs album.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2006, 12:34:53 PM »

Me too.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Matinee Idyll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2006, 05:02:05 PM »

I don't think Holland sounds any more forced, pretentious or 'band wagon jumping' than Smiley all those years before...  I think they're both great artistic statements.

EDIT:  Or "Surf's Up" for gods sake... That thing sounds like it was squeezed out of Mike Love's ass. 
« Last Edit: January 27, 2006, 05:09:51 PM by Matinee Idyll » Logged
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2006, 05:11:47 PM »

That thing sounds like it was squeezed out of Mike Love's ass.

I love when you talk like that to me. But we better keep that to PM's, my saucy Aussie.

Matinee Idyll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2006, 05:17:09 PM »

Well, I meant that in the best possible way Smiley

I think Surf's Up is a fine album, but it's no less pretentious and wanky than Holland...  That's what I like about the albums, that they sound rather forced... part of their strange, alluring charm.

My dogs hate the 'whistles' in Funky Pretty... they go nuts whenever it's on (which is rare, as it's the weakest track on the album).
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2006, 05:18:47 PM »

it's the weakest track on the album).

Word.

Matinee Idyll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2006, 05:21:19 PM »

Followed by "California"... aie.  Everyone likes that one, it shits me.   

Oh, as Ian said to Bruce Johnston Wink

The crap bass, and the crap lead vocals do me head in.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2006, 05:24:54 PM »

Keyboard bass rules. I love Mike's vocal there.

jazzfascist
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2006, 09:54:45 AM »

Probably the second best of their records in the seventies and as others have noted the most coherent, both soundwise and conceptually, also the one with the most constant quality of songs from that era. 
They head out with “Sail On Sailor“. I love this song, it has the shape of a blues, but the different chordchanges seem to be reflecting the movements of the wind and the sea, just as the pounding piano sounds like the motor of a boat, so it’s like a musical picture of a boat on the sea, one of those songs where the music and lyrics are one.
“Steamboat” not as good as SOS, but still a solid track with lots of ambience. Next up is “California Saga/Beaks of Eagles” which seems to be Mike and Al’s little element suite,  going from the mountains to the ocean, they even mimick the panoramic style of Brians piano intro from “Child”and “Look”, it’s a little bourgeois hippie and pretentious but it’s catchy and works as a suite.
 “Trader” is Carls masterpiece IMO, great song and the shift in tempo makes it very creative. “Leaving This Town” also a great song, that’s a little chordy, but without getting lost in the chords and with a beautiful outro. “Only With You” a good classically bent ballad with a funky chorus. “Funky Pretty” which is a nice funky pop song, that to some degree doesn’t sound fully realised, but still good. Ending with of course “Mount Vernon And Fairway” that creates it’s own little cosmos with some interesting music.
But all in all a solid coherent album with a stone classic, don’t know why they seemingly ran out of steam at that point.

Søren

"How can I come on, when I know I'm filthy"
BananaLouie
Smiley Smile Associate

Columnated ruins domino

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2006, 05:04:02 PM »

Among their top three best 70s albums behind Sunflower and Love You, The Beach Boy's American gothic trip, could've been really great if it included We Got Love and Carry Me Home.  Highlights are Sail On Sailor, Big Sur, California and The Trader.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2006, 05:14:07 PM by Jason Byzewski » Logged

"I'm not a genius. I'm just a hard working guy." - Brian Wilson
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2006, 05:15:51 PM »

American gothic trip...

Did you steal that phrase from VDP? I think you did.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

BananaLouie
Smiley Smile Associate

Columnated ruins domino

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2006, 05:31:16 PM »

American gothic trip...

Did you steal that phrase from VDP?

Subconscious plagerism?  Didn't Van Dyke use that term to describe Cabinessense? Huh

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2006, 05:32:22 PM »

Yep. The American Band dvd.

BananaLouie
Smiley Smile Associate

Columnated ruins domino

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2006, 05:38:41 PM »

Sorry Van Dyke...Rock On!

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2006, 05:40:56 PM »

I think he forgives you as he does one of those full-on bow/curtsies, just like in the Beautiful Dreamer DVD...

BananaLouie
Smiley Smile Associate

Columnated ruins domino

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2006, 05:43:47 PM »

I like Van Dyke besides being a talented wordsmith he's a gentleman.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 28, 2006, 05:44:40 PM »

I love him and his work. Or his work, anyway (I don't know him, so what can I say?). But I can still play around.

BananaLouie
Smiley Smile Associate

Columnated ruins domino

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 28, 2006, 05:47:10 PM »

Hmmm, this discussion is taking an unusual turn but I agree a lot of his solo work is quite good, Orange Crate Art and Discover America among others.

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx