gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:13:49 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Holland
5 - 72 (40.9%)
4 - 69 (39.2%)
3 - 30 (17%)
2 - 5 (2.8%)
1 - 0 (0%)
0 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 163

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Holland  (Read 109596 times)
wingsoveramerica
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: October 21, 2016, 11:49:12 AM »

I think the complete California Saga is one of the best things the group recorded!

Jon G.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: October 26, 2016, 04:05:37 AM »

On the album proper, not a bad track in sight. 5/5.

As for "MV&F": the compilation that is "Fairy Tale Music" from the GV 30 Years box set is a masterpiece. 

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
The Loud Braggart
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: January 01, 2017, 04:56:51 AM »

Sail On, Sailor 4.5/5 = Great song, should have been one of the BBs last hits. And it could have been if they brought in Ray Charles to do it for them, it’s the perfect song for him to sing. Blondie sounds good, but this song only comes to its full right if it were sung by an even way more soulful voice. Blondie’s voice gets more and more soulful the older he gets, but back then it didn’t differ enough from the others to bring him in the group for that.

Steamboat 4.5/5 = Authentic, Dennis at his best. Competes with the raw title track from his (first) solo album for my all-time favorite Dennis Wilson song.

Big Sur 3.5/5 = Good to see Mike doing something else than surf/girls/cars stuff and bring it to a good end.

The Beaks of Eagles 3.5/5 = The narration doesn’t bother me at all, even if it's about birds pairing... The music is quite good, but not good enough to make me regret that it gets interrupted all the time. Especially not when Mike is talking with his relaxing and (might I add) sexy voice.

California 4/5 = The Mike/Al collaboration comes to an end with the best track of the California Saga musically.

The Trader 4.5/5 = Carl shines most on the album, vocally speaking.

Leaving this Town 3/5 = Overrated, it’s nothing more than okay to me.

Only with You 2.5/5 = I don’t even really like the oo-ooh’s that much, but it’s still the most interesting thing that happens in the song.  The ending of the song sounds like it wants to go somewhere better, but it can’t, because it would sound too similar to another song.

Funky Pretty 4/5 = Quite funky and quite pretty. The outro is almost half the song, maybe a bit long, but maybe therefore it serves as a good “album closer”.

The fairy tale = The strange thing is not that a grown man writes a fairy tale, but that the fairy tale is on an otherwise quite dark and mature album. It contrasts with the rest of Holland in some way. Starts off promising as a fun addition to the album with spoken word alternated with some music, but fails to hold the attention till the end.

All in all a fun little album, and consistent, with all members adding something good to it. This sounds more like the follow-up album of Sunflower than the actual follow-up album of Sunflower, which was good but in its own right. The strange thing is that the album has a quite dark feel, but it seems only because of Steamboat and the album cover. They should have stayed longer in Holland, or at least continued in this style for another album or two. This is in my top 5 BB albums and I rate it a high 4.5.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 05:00:42 AM by The Loud Braggart » Logged
Decarlo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: January 17, 2017, 06:52:44 PM »

I love this album.It seems to flow nicely.I just have a problem with Funky Pretty.just don't like it.not sure why... would rather we got love..I Love Steamboat.. On the whole Holland captures a nice groove..
KDS
« Reply #204 on: March 17, 2017, 10:46:03 AM »

I love this album.It seems to flow nicely.I just have a problem with Funky Pretty.just don't like it.not sure why... would rather we got love..I Love Steamboat.. On the whole Holland captures a nice groove..

It's pretty popular, but frankly, I think it's by far the weak link on the album. 
KDS
« Reply #205 on: March 17, 2017, 09:03:29 PM »

2KDS: Do you dislike "Funky Pretty" because it's synthesized? LY is not your bag either - would it be right to say you don't like synths in pop unless it's heavy metal/ glam?

Its not really synths that I dont like.  I just think the song itself is weak.
KDS
« Reply #206 on: March 18, 2017, 03:00:24 PM »

I'm curious to know what in "Funky Pretty" makes it weak. Will you tell?

Hard to describe.  I just think, when compared to the first 8 songs on the album, there's a drop in quality.  Just doesnt do it for me.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: March 18, 2017, 03:06:26 PM »

I agree. I think at best "Funky Pretty" is kind of interesting, with its weird little meandering synth lines or different vocal bits intertwining. But it lacks any musical punch, and the lyrics are so fucking dumb.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Adult Child
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: March 18, 2017, 03:15:35 PM »

Blondie's vocal in the last minute and 30 seconds of 'Funky Pretty' is just so haunting though.

"In my opinion it makes Pet Sounds stink - that's how good it is!" - Dennis Wilson

"Our records were really very good. We're very talented and we know how to do what we do." - Carl Wilson

"The thing is, I'm just pooping along. Some people buzz along. I poop along. I just can't help it; that's the way I am. I'm just a pooper." - Brian Wilson
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx