gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 12:40:05 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Holland
5 - 72 (40.9%)
4 - 69 (39.2%)
3 - 30 (17%)
2 - 5 (2.8%)
1 - 0 (0%)
0 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 163

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Holland  (Read 112217 times)
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: November 10, 2011, 01:39:47 AM »

Beaks of Eagles is a really nice song. Clearly some serious effort went into it. The poem was a really nice choice, I don't think it's an overly pretentious choice for recitation, it's a rock solid poem, but rustic and straightforward enough to not feel out of place, especially after the wonderful lyrics on Big Sur. The juxtaposition between the recitation and song parts is excellent, and gives the song a really dynamic character. Personally I love that track.

I really believe Mike was a natural born poet. It seems he often got hung up on writing songs for his audience instead of himself though. On Big Sur you can really hear what he was capable of, it's his best effort lyrically, and a song he was clearly proud of.

Of the trilogy I still think California is the weakest song, and is my least favorite track on Holland. But maybe that's just me.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
wokka
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 14, 2011, 01:52:08 PM »

from an album i never played to one i truly love.....stop typing now and go put it on.....back....yep..just awesome....
trader in particular...yet another of carls incredible songs from this period......
not as great as SUFS UP...but still a must have album.....
i love everything from TODAY TO CARL AND THE PASSIONS..warts and all....
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 04, 2012, 04:05:58 PM »

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned in this thread, after a quick search of the board I noticed it had been given brief discussion on some other threads so I'd thought I'd mention it here.  For all the crappy reviews Holland has received aside from this board (at least most of the one's I have read have been negative) Rolling Stone nominated it for album of the year in 1973 and what not.  So I thought I'd go and read their original 1973 review of the album, and I was really happy to see how positive their review was! They rave about the album, and while I disagree with their assessment of Steamboat, I think this review really captures the essence of the album, and what I would want people to read before listening to Holland.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/albumreviews/holland-19730301

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
Puggal
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 16, 2012, 10:35:56 AM »

I got this on vinyl for £2 and i love it even more. although my copy didn't have the EP  Angry

It's WAY too short though. A revised tracklisting could probably have 'Out In The Country' at the start, then as normal sticking 'Hard Times' after the Trader, and a finished Carry Me Home at the end....

I'll give it a 4. Really good, but could be much better.

Just how could it be much better? Provide clear and irrefutable evidence to support your argument.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 17, 2012, 06:48:24 AM »

Nice one. Going through my old posts in another thread and posting nonsensical arguments doesn't make you look like an ass at all. No sir.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 26, 2012, 04:21:14 AM »

I'm a big fan of the Blondie & Ricky era and I love both studio albums from that period. Even though I think the songs here are inferior to the ones on Carl and The Passions (none of Dennis' compositions stands up to 'Cuddle Up', same with Brian and 'You Need A Mass Of Help' and with Al/Mike and 'All This is That'), the band seems to be working here as a whole, and the album's got a better flow. But it's a great album and if it wasn't for 'The Beaks of Eagles' with its boring poetry, I'd say it's perfect. A few other minor complains would be that I think 'Only With You' should've been sung by Dennis in his soulful manner and 'Leaving This Town' could've been less lengthy.

For me, one the best moments is Brian's lead on the first two verses of 'CS : California'. I don't worship everything the man does, but that sweet, innocent and childlike voice coming through and breaking that serious atmosphere formed through the past tracks reminds me that this is still The Beach Boys.

4.5 points.
TheLazenby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 04, 2012, 09:07:25 PM »

"We Got Love" is actually a really fantastic song that should've been added to the CD or something.  (The two Flames were screwed twice by the Boys at large - once with this song, and once again with the completely unreleased "Hard Times", which by any other band could've been an easy radio hit.)

Having finally listened to the whole 'California Saga' trilogy, I really like The Beaks of Eagles.  A lot more than Californ-I-A, even.
Banana
Smiley Smile Associate

Mike Love, Not War!

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 05, 2012, 10:55:48 AM »

Maybe the most underrated LP in their entire catalog?  I think so.  Seems to have sunk without a trace in 1973...and it really deserved a far better fate.  What else can one say about "Sail On, Sailor" that has not already been said.  It's simply breathtaking with an absolutely awesome lead from Blondie.  I've always found it interesting that you could add in a "new" lead voice to the mix...but it still SOUNDS like a Beach Boys song.  "Steamboat" took a few listens before I really got into it...but once it gets under you skin it's hard to shake.  Carl's lead on this track is "interesting".  They've got some interesting harmonies going on later on in the song (the whole Mr. Fulton part).  It's such an odd song...full of weird sounds.  I'll admit to being a big sucker for the California Saga.  Great piece of work by Mike and Al...perhaps their best ever.  I actually like this version of "Big Sur" versus the earlier version...the harmonica is nice.  "The Beaks of Eagles" is interesting.  Somehow the poem works.  Al's musical interludes are simply awesome...as is the ominous music/voices playing behind the narration.  "California" is just one of those songs you cannot help but like...almost childlike.  Wonderful harmonies.  I love Mike's lead on this track.  "The Trader" I used to like this song more than I do now.  Carl's singing is absolutely sublime as is the music...but Jack Rieley had really worn out his welcome by this point.  The backround harmonies are also awesome.  I guess in the end I could care less whatever Rieley penned tripe Carl is singing because it simply sounds so great!  "Leaving This Town" is the worst song on the LP.  Way too boring...way too long...especially when they had "We Got Love" which at least in my opinion is far better song.  "Only With You" is a wonderful Dennis track...wonderfully sung by Carl.  "Funky Pretty" is what it is...another looking into the weirdness of Mr. Wilson.  Not a bad track...but still kind of a throwaway.  This LP deserves to be heard by more people.  I've always felt that this was the last time they were actually trying to move foreward artisically.  After this...it was just King Mike Love and his Endless Attempt to Recreate the Summer of 1963.  Brian went to la-la land...Dennis started forging out on his own and I think Carl found himself the odd man out until he just kind of stopped caring too much.

"You wanna have the '409' sound, right?  On 'Help Me, Rhonda'?"

"Honkin' down the gosh-darned highway..."

"Cried so hard...teardrops on my bed...COME ON MUTHAF*****S!"
Zargo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 05, 2012, 07:59:14 PM »

A few comments:

'Sail on Sailor' is the most overrated Beach Boys song to me... aside from the hook of the three word chorus, it's a dreary mess.

'Only with You' is my favourite Dennis composition, other than River Song. Gorgeous! I just wish they could've retained the beautiful tag from his solo version. Maybe I should edit together the two versions.

'Funky Pretty" wasn't much on first listen but as mentioned by a few on this thread,  the tag is one of the most fabulous pieces of music/vocal work ever! It's up there with those of 'Till I Die' and 'It's OK.' The band knows it's good too, because they are happy to have it continue for a good long time.

The rest of the album is  pleasant (particularly the saga) without being stuff I play too often. I'm not generally a big fan of 5 minute plus songs unless they really need to be that long (and I don't feel any of the songs here do).
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #159 on: July 25, 2012, 01:51:08 PM »

Holland - one of their best, period. Those who think it's pretencious? Go listen to some Pink Floyd and you'll hear some genuine pretenciousness. Yes there's poertry and moog solos but as always with the pre-76 Beach Boys, everything is used tastefully, in moderation and with tact. They get it just right. Anyway, here's how i rate this incredible album:

SAIL ON SAILOR: 5/5
STEAMBOAT: 5/5
BIG SUR: 4/5
BEAKS OF EAGLES: 4/5
CALIFORNIA: 5/5

TRADER: 5/5
LEAVING THIS TOWN: 4/5
ONLY WITH YOU: 4/5
FUNKY PRETTY: 5/5

MOUNT VERNON & FAIRWAY: 5/5

Overall: 5 out of 5. Classic!
Banana
Smiley Smile Associate

Mike Love, Not War!

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: July 25, 2012, 06:41:59 PM »

I appreciate the fact that they were still trying at this point to move forward.  They were not rehashing old memories...but trying to remain a relevent musical group.  I truly feel "Holland" was the end of an era...the last LP that was well put together from beginning to end.

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 26, 2012, 11:44:21 AM »

This is truly the Beach Boys at their peak of the 70s, this is def a 70s rock album. It's so good, it needs more recognition. I think some of the songs could get spiced up by their live versions like Funky Pretty, with the addition of the drums on the live track, it would only help this song get even better.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Banana
Smiley Smile Associate

Mike Love, Not War!

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 26, 2012, 06:59:51 PM »

Agreed.  They were really hitting their stride at this point...which makes it all the more sad that internal strife essentially shut down the creative process for several years.  When "15 Big Ones" finally emerged it wasn't so much a continuation of the artistic progress of "Holland" as it was a step back.

SgtTimBob
Smiley Smile Associate

Music Maker Extrodonaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #163 on: January 15, 2013, 02:24:05 AM »

I've been getting into this one for the first time, recently. I've not gone near too much 70s BBs stuff because I know that Brian became less and less involved at this point, and the big BB's draw for me was always his imaginative compositions and arrangements. However, there is a lot to like on Holland, I've discovered. The various members of the group bring some delightful tunes, and I really like the production; it doesn't draw too much attention to itself and is simply easy to listen to.

I'm not particularly taken with Sail On Sailor, it seems like pretty standard fare and therefore is the least interesting thing on the album to me. It's perfectly good song writing and well executed, but it's just a little bit too ordinary (as if it's the obligatory verse bridge chorus affair before we move on to more interesting stuff). I love the California Saga stuff, the way the poetry effortlessly bumps into the songs and harmonies is really quite marvellous. The Trader is just pure brilliance.

However... for all the amazing stuff that the other members bring, it's those rare glimpses of Brian peeping over the edge that somehow pop out at me. Funky Pretty is downright hypnotic, the way that synthesizer pulls you in is amazing and the fade tag with Mike's descending bass part is sheer genius.

For all it's flawed silliness there is something truly haunting and heartbreakingly beautiful about Mt Vernon and Fairway.

zachrwolfe
« Reply #164 on: February 18, 2013, 05:22:07 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 09:25:54 PM by zatch » Logged
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #165 on: February 18, 2013, 11:45:23 PM »

Hey, I've recently started to expand my horizons of BBs music and as part of this, I downloaded Holland, of which I previously had heard only Sail On Sailor. I was just wondering who it is that is singing the very low part on Steam Boat. It sounds lower than Mike usually explores, and reminds me very much of a choir-type bass way of singing, contrasting The BBs non-formally trained way of singing I am used to. I am not terribly familiar with Ricky Fataar's voice, so is this him? Or maybe Mike recorded faster and slowed down? Or Mike singing unaltered?

Downloaded??!! Go buy the album already! One of the best album covers (and thebest back cover) the group ever released, plus great liner notes on the 2-fer.

zachrwolfe
« Reply #166 on: February 19, 2013, 12:10:03 AM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 09:25:50 PM by zatch » Logged
Les Garçons de la plage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: March 01, 2013, 10:35:07 AM »

A return to form after Surf's Up and Carl and the Passions (not to say neither was that bad really - both have their moments) and another one I have overlooked. Could be their last meaningful collective effort.
4/5 it is.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 01, 2013, 11:05:07 AM »

I would like to (eventually) get a turntable and build a record collection, though I don't have a terrible amount of money and the money I do accumulate ends up going to recording equipment. Until then, iTunes it is.

I download, buy the CD, get the vinyl, whatever. Nothing wrong with downloads in my opinion.

If you eventually want a record collection: Get down to Goodwill at this moment and start buying records! Their vinyls cost 50 cents a piece, at least where I live. Their record collection usually sucks, but you find gold sometimes:

My father surprised me with a gift a few weeks ago: an entire box of Beach Boys vinyls from Goodwill (also included was a pristine Pacific Ocean Blue and some Jan and Dean albums). He got like 20 some mint condition Beach Boy albums for nine dollars Shocked

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: March 01, 2013, 11:08:11 AM »

I would like to (eventually) get a turntable and build a record collection, though I don't have a terrible amount of money and the money I do accumulate ends up going to recording equipment. Until then, iTunes it is.

I download, buy the CD, get the vinyl, whatever. Nothing wrong with downloads in my opinion.

If you eventually want a record collection: Get down to Goodwill at this moment and start buying records! Their vinyls cost 50 cents a piece, at least where I live. Their record collection usually sucks, but you find gold sometimes:

My father surprised me with a gift a few weeks ago: an entire box of Beach Boys vinyls from Goodwill (also included was a pristine Pacific Ocean Blue and some Jan and Dean albums). He got like 20 some mint condition Beach Boy albums for nine dollars Shocked
What miracle, all I find are horrible Christmas records.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: March 05, 2013, 06:56:26 PM »

Hey, I've recently started to expand my horizons of BBs music and as part of this, I downloaded Holland, of which I previously had heard only Sail On Sailor. I was just wondering who it is that is singing the very low part on Steam Boat. It sounds lower than Mike usually explores, and reminds me very much of a choir-type bass way of singing, contrasting The BBs non-formally trained way of singing I am used to. I am not terribly familiar with Ricky Fataar's voice, so is this him? Or maybe Mike recorded faster and slowed down? Or Mike singing unaltered?

Assuming you mean the bass vocals in the verses in the left channel (and then near the end in the refrain), I think it's unaltered Mike. He's just not using any of his personae that we've come to associate with him.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: March 14, 2013, 01:40:07 PM »

Not bad, not bad. Sail On Sailor and Funky Pretty both kick ass and the stuff in between is mostly just okay. Weaklink for me was Leaving This Town... was just a bit too strained.

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 12, 2013, 08:13:17 PM »

I'm going to give this a 1. All the songs besides Sail On Sailor and Funky Pretty are bad to mediocre. The poetry reading track is absolutely ridiculous.

Sunflower and Surf's Up were great albums, elevated by the inclusion of several Brian tracks. Here, however, only one song can be considered a true Brian track (Funky Pretty), and all the other members' songs are simply not up to par. The songs on this record are actually quite boring, lacking good hooks and melodies. That is, after all, what I want from The Beach Boys, and indeed all the music I listen to.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 08:16:12 PM by Miss Amanda Jones » Logged
zachrwolfe
« Reply #173 on: June 12, 2013, 08:14:53 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 09:04:41 PM by zatch » Logged
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: June 13, 2013, 10:40:54 AM »

Had a relisten recently and I like it a lot more now. Everything from "Sail on Sailor" to "Trader" is very good (though "Leaving This Town" still doesn't do much for me). And Mt. Vernon and Fairway kicks ass. Tongue

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx