gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680853 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 07:40:15 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What if the BB had faked 15 Big Ones? (more than they did!)  (Read 4676 times)
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: November 09, 2007, 02:27:07 AM »

Just a theoretical thread here, I was thinking about how the success of Endless Summer had brought about new interest in the BB and how people wanted to know what Brian was up to, which ultimately in part contributed to Brians comeback.
Obviously the result was that Brian had deteriorated somewhat, but what if in an attempt to save face, and to present Brian as a functioning and vital artist still at the top (or near) of his game the other BB had conspired to make a 'fake' comeback album containing outtakes from previous albums (this in the time when much wasn't known about the BB recording history).
Obviously sometime years later people would learn the true origins of these tracks, but at the time it would be hailed as a new set of great Brian songs.
New remixes could be done adding synth textures and bits and bobs to make them sound contemporary for 1976, the other BB could resing and finish off some of the other tracks as well.
Here's some off the top of my head which could have been included (i'm sure there's others I've missed);

Soulful Old Man sunshine
Can't wait too long
Good timin
Sailplane song/Loop de loop
Games two can play
My solution
Trombone Dixie (with words, maybe like Had to phone ya)
It's OK (I know it's a new one but it would work in context)
When girls get together
I just got my pay
HELP in on its way
Good time

Thats only 12 potential songs, but you could throw in some other BB ones for a bit of weight;
Carry me home
I'm going your way
It's a new day
We got love
4th of July
San Miguel
Wouldn't it be nice to live again (That old favourite!)

Stuff like Susie Cincinatti, Sound of Free and Lady was already technically released so would not count.

All i'm thinking is, seeing the amount of attention focused on 15BO and the BB at this time and seeing how much of the 'Brians Back' campaign was a farce and was forced, why didn't they just go the whole hog and claim these were new songs by the still functioning genius Brian Wilson?
Of course the whole thing would crumble once Brian would be back on the stage but thats another matter...

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 03:54:49 AM »

This is a great idea. Thumbs Up

By the way, I know it was recorded afterwards, but does anybody know the reason why the band didn't release It's Over Now or Still I Dream of It on an album?
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 04:30:24 AM »

They were originally part of Adult Child which I think was rejected by the band and the record company.
What would have been great if Brian had followed up the fictional 15 BO with a Double album of all new late 70s material maybe in 1977/1978 - a sprawling 30 song album a bit like the White Album, just lots of weird new Brian Wilson tracks. If the profile had been raised by 15BO and it had been a success then just the sheer massiveness of a new double album would be cause for celebration. As well as the stuff on Love you (minus ding dang and Good time) you could have;

Marilyn Rovell
Sherry she needs me
Lazy Lizzie
Hey little Tomboy
California Feeling
Almost Summer (the great lost Beach Boys single of the era)
My Diane
Life is for the living
Its over now
Still I dream of it
It's trying to say
Lines
Everyone wants to live
Winter Symphony
She's got rhythm
Matchpoint of our love
I'm begging you please
That special feeling

Imagine all that, mixed and sequenced in with the stuff on Love you and you would have a no holds barred album of crazy and enjoyable music!

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007, 05:12:08 AM »

By the way, I know it was recorded afterwards, but does anybody know the reason why the band didn't release It's Over Now or Still I Dream of It on an album?

They were part of the unreleased "Adult Child" album and would've sounded out-of-place on their later albums (unless they were re-recorded). 
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 05:14:54 AM »

They were part of the unreleased "Adult Child" album and would've sounded out-of-place on their later albums (unless they were re-recorded). 

I figured that was the reason, but still I don't understand why albums have to be "cohesive" like that. I mean shouldn't a band just release its best songs no matter what?
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2007, 05:16:50 AM »

Interesting theory, matt-zeus. To some extent, Brian DID try your idea with Getting In Over My Head and Brian Wilson Presents Smile. Not too many newly-written songs in those projects.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 05:18:39 AM by Sheriff John Stone » Logged
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2007, 05:17:46 AM »

They were originally part of Adult Child which I think was rejected by the band and the record company.
What would have been great if Brian had followed up the fictional 15 BO with a Double album of all new late 70s material maybe in 1977/1978 - a sprawling 30 song album a bit like the White Album, just lots of weird new Brian Wilson tracks. If the profile had been raised by 15BO and it had been a success then just the sheer massiveness of a new double album would be cause for celebration. As well as the stuff on Love you (minus ding dang and Good time) you could have;

Marilyn Rovell
Sherry she needs me
Lazy Lizzie
Hey little Tomboy
California Feeling
Almost Summer (the great lost Beach Boys single of the era)
My Diane
Life is for the living
Its over now
Still I dream of it
It's trying to say
Lines
Everyone wants to live
Winter Symphony
She's got rhythm
Matchpoint of our love
I'm begging you please
That special feeling

Imagine all that, mixed and sequenced in with the stuff on Love you and you would have a no holds barred album of crazy and enjoyable music!

That would be a cool idea too. It amazes me that The Beach Boys didn't just release some of this stuff (as you are suggesting) even if it's spread over several albums. I mean the material is there (and most of it's pretty good), so why not use it and therefore that brings in more money for the band?

Edit: Also what about "Stevie" that is a pretty cool song I think.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 05:19:03 AM by mikeyj » Logged
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2007, 06:44:40 AM »

Edit: Also what about "Stevie" that is a pretty cool song I think.

It's a great song but I don't think it was done until about 1980, still should have been released though!

Interesting theory, matt-zeus. To some extent, Brian DID try your idea with Getting In Over My Head and Brian Wilson Presents Smile. Not too many newly-written songs in those projects.

No, but we know where all those songs came from, if no one had heard or new of the bootlegs, we might have a different view of those songs. I'm proposing that the Beach Boys pretended all that stuff was new to the public to create a fake impresioion!

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2007, 09:37:09 AM »

Stuff like Susie Cincinatti, Sound of Free and Lady was already technically released so would not count.
Well, since Susie Cincinnati WAS  on 15 BO, that shouldn't DQ it! LOL

Seriously, though, I agree 100%. That wouldve bought time for Brian to make a real comeback album. Hell, they did basically the same thing for 20/20...why not do it in 1976?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2007, 11:47:23 AM »

Well, since Susie Cincinnati WAS  on 15 BO, that shouldn't DQ it! LOL
[/quote]

Originally it was a B-side in 1970 (can't remember which single!)

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2007, 01:57:42 PM »

One of the Sunflower singles. I can't remember which myself, either.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2007, 02:45:57 PM »

Most likely Add Some Music.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2007, 05:42:58 PM »

If I remember from the Sunflower/Surf's Up liner notes right, then it was add some music.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2007, 11:39:25 AM »

Do you mean to tell people that Brian wrote Soul of Free and Fourth of July? I'm totally against that. But as making out Soulful Old Man Sunshine, etc as new Brian songs would be ok.

I just don't think it would be right to take credit away from Dennis.

But then again, I suppose that is what they were trying to do on the Surfs Up album according to Bruce.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2007, 12:15:48 PM »

Do you mean to tell people that Brian wrote Soul of Free and Fourth of July? I'm totally against that. But as making out Soulful Old Man Sunshine, etc as new Brian songs would be ok.

I don't think anyone said that. The first batch of songs in the original post were Briancentric. Then he said, "Thats only 12 potential songs, but you could throw in some other BB ones for a bit of weight," and listed some non-Brian potential contributions to the group. Then the third batch, which included those Dennis songs you named, were listed as "already technically released so would not count." But not that they would've been released as "Brian" songs.

Basically, matt-zeus seems just to be saying that instead of releasing so much bullshit in 1976, they could've or should've released an album of good unreleased material, mostly Brian's, but with the good unreleased contributions of the others, too. And that those two Dennis songs, while good, weren't unreleased, and so were ineligible.

I agree that they left too much quality unreleased, by the way, and released absolute trash for most of 15BO.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2007, 04:31:33 PM »

I don't think anyone said that. The first batch of songs in the original post were Briancentric. Then he said, "Thats only 12 potential songs, but you could throw in some other BB ones for a bit of weight," and listed some non-Brian potential contributions to the group. Then the third batch, which included those Dennis songs you named, were listed as "already technically released so would not count." But not that they would've been released as "Brian" songs.

Basically, matt-zeus seems just to be saying that instead of releasing so much bullmerda in 1976, they could've or should've released an album of good unreleased material, mostly Brian's, but with the good unreleased contributions of the others, too. And that those two Dennis songs, while good, weren't unreleased, and so were ineligible.

I agree that they left too much quality unreleased, by the way, and released absolute trash for most of 15BO.

Thats exactly what I meant (not, passing off Dennis songs as Brians songs)!

Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2007, 07:40:25 PM »

It is...Sound of Free.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2007, 09:59:32 PM »

It is...Sound of Free.

oops. I knew that. Smiley

I think that coming out with an album instead of 15 Big Ones would've been great. However, maybe soon after Endless Summer reached the top of the charts would be the perfect time for that. Late 74 or early 75 as opposed to waiting til 76.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
MBE
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2007, 12:48:34 AM »

There was a great outtake from 15 Big Ones that nobody has mentioned called "Michael Row The Boat Ashore". Mike's lead is nice, Brian's reaching some high notes and it has an interesting and fairly tranquil production.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2007, 02:58:18 AM »

Yeah, that's a good one.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
8o8o
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2007, 05:19:23 AM »

There was a great outtake from 15 Big Ones that nobody has mentioned called "Michael Row The Boat Ashore". Mike's lead is nice, Brian's reaching some high notes and it has an interesting and fairly tranquil production.

I honestly think that that's one of the worst things they ever recorded - much rather listen to "Sea Cruise". At least that's good fun.
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2007, 06:19:29 AM »

I'd say Mony Mony wasn't the worst cover they did at the time. Btw, who does the falsetto bv towards the fade-out. That's not Brian, is it?

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2007, 03:15:18 PM »

I'd say Mony Mony wasn't the worst cover they did at the time.

Worst cover the Beach Boys ever did: there's a debate that could go on for days. There's certainly no lack for options.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2007, 03:45:28 PM »

Somebody finally mentioned this song! Thank you!

This is my favorite unreleased Beach Boys' song of all. Love it. I read somewhere that Al produced it but it is so Brian. The "Sloop John B" intro, the backing track, the "allelujah" backing vocals, and Mike's lead vocal is great. I'm surprised they and/or Brian never resurrected this one.
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2007, 04:24:05 PM »

I've never been struck on it myself. The pipes (whatever they are) remind me a lot of the ones on 'Fernando' by Abba. I usually file this one next to 'Ding Dang', 'Carnival', 'Battle Hymn of the republic' and 'Rollin up to heaven'.

An all covers 15BO would have been a good option too, as well as the 8 which are on there originally they could have waited a bit longer and served them up with these (not all done at the time);

Sea Cruise,
Mony Mony,
Ruby Baby,
You've lost that loving feeling,
Shake Rattle and roll
On Broadway
Shortenin Bread

That all makes for one enjoyable if slightly turgid covers album!

By the way, is 'Short Skirts' a cover or an original?

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx