gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680877 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 10:38:30 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: TLOS Speculation  (Read 10839 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2007, 06:18:17 AM »

Um, you listened to the vocals on that ? Not the work of someone who gave a flying one.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2007, 12:07:57 PM »

haha, i thought they were alrite

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
carl r
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2007, 12:44:40 AM »

Interesting thread this, really interesting. I'm still wondering what it all amounts to though.

For my part, I think TLOS is a lot more than scraps of old material laced together... whilst there certainly seems to patchwork on some of the songs.

I think Live Let Live is one of the strongest things he's written in a long time... and I can't think of a track immediately similar, though parts of it sound very "Today", with the Western theme..

MAD also seems to be a bolt out of the blue, as whilst the mantra-style could be described as being like "Till I Die" the structure's entirely different.

Without wanting to drool unnecessarily, it will be interesting to see what eventually emerges as a product from this.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2007, 05:07:59 AM »

I think the song Southern California is prolly the most pretty song brian has written since say: Lay Down Burden, or Melt Away.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2007, 09:02:44 PM »

I just want to point out, in my opinion (and I could be horribly wrong), this isn't Brian just recycling stuff because he can't think of anything else.  What we're seeing here is a musical genius who has thousands of melodies floating around his head, and he frankly doesn't give a sh*t if he's used a melody before or not.  This isn't anything new to music or new to Brian; he recycled "Song For Children" into part of "Good Vibrations", he stole a melody he liked from Chuck Berry when he was barely an adult and made "Surfin' U.S.A.", he praises George Gershwin's famous variations on themes, he recorded a fabled 6 or 7 versions of "Shortenin' Bread" which he himself didn't write in the first place, etc. 

So while the album has snippets of old unreleased songs, it also has snippets of stuff he released, as well as snippets of stuff somebody else wrote, as well as snippets we've never heard before.  This isn't somebody with writers block.  This is somebody who doesn't restrain himself when it comes to making the music he wants to make!  While there may be an unwritten rule that it's not creative to re-use melodies and things you've already released, Brian has always been about breaking rules with his musical compositions.  I think the fact that he's recycling some melodies and stealing some melodies without concern exhibits that maybe he's finally getting his passion for music back into his compositions, and that's a great thing for him and for us. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2007, 09:05:55 PM »

I think the song Southern California is prolly the most pretty song brian has written since say: Lay Down Burden, or Melt Away.

Yeah!  In the same vein, definately.  Gorgeous song.   I think his half-destroyed voice actually adds a little bit to it, too... you can always count on Brian to drag out the tired, weary, whispy vocals when he does a song about reflection, or bittersweet memories.  It just sends it through the roof, in my opinion.  So half of the beauty of the song to me is the performance.  Usually, his voice kind of gets in the way of some of the things he's doing, but evvvvvery once in a while, he just perfectly meshes up with something, and this is one of those songs. 
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2007, 09:49:43 PM »

That passion shows in his vocals,too.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
gsmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2007, 07:28:57 PM »

I just want to point out, in my opinion (and I could be horribly wrong), this isn't Brian just recycling stuff because he can't think of anything else.  What we're seeing here is a musical genius who has thousands of melodies floating around his head, and he frankly doesn't give a merda if he's used a melody before or not.  This isn't anything new to music or new to Brian; he recycled "Song For Children" into part of "Good Vibrations", he stole a melody he liked from Chuck Berry when he was barely an adult and made "Surfin' U.S.A.", he praises George Gershwin's famous variations on themes, he recorded a fabled 6 or 7 versions of "Shortenin' Bread" which he himself didn't write in the first place, etc. 

So while the album has snippets of old unreleased songs, it also has snippets of stuff he released, as well as snippets of stuff somebody else wrote, as well as snippets we've never heard before.  This isn't somebody with writers block.  This is somebody who doesn't restrain himself when it comes to making the music he wants to make!  While there may be an unwritten rule that it's not creative to re-use melodies and things you've already released, Brian has always been about breaking rules with his musical compositions.  I think the fact that he's recycling some melodies and stealing some melodies without concern exhibits that maybe he's finally getting his passion for music back into his compositions, and that's a great thing for him and for us. 

Hands down, post of the month.  Thanks for putting this into words Ron.

Quote from: So cold I go burr
There are people who have taken LSD thousands of times and are as sane as Jeff Foskett. Well, that's a bad example, because Jeff hates Love You and that's INSANE.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2007, 08:26:08 PM »

Thank you!
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2007, 07:57:36 PM »

Yeah!  In the same vein, definately.  Gorgeous song.   I think his half-destroyed voice actually adds a little bit to it, too... you can always count on Brian to drag out the tired, weary, whispy vocals when he does a song about reflection, or bittersweet memories.  It just sends it through the roof, in my opinion.  So half of the beauty of the song to me is the performance.  Usually, his voice kind of gets in the way of some of the things he's doing, but evvvvvery once in a while, he just perfectly meshes up with something, and this is one of those songs. 

The moment of Southern California where it breaks back into the reprise of the "Glory halelujah" is huge selling point for me. It gives me chills everytime... Can we get this officially releases on CD now? Smiley
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2007, 12:15:24 PM »

i agree pixel!

~post of the century~
-Mikie

smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2007, 07:07:40 AM »

morning beat has that shortenin' bread feel to it.

and as for another Brian Wilson-favorite: when the band starts singing Rollin' Round Heaven All Day"... (just after California Roll)...I can't help thinking there's a bit of "Proud Mary" in there....

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2007, 05:10:42 PM »

Noticed people talkin about TLOS live recordings...Can anyone help out..??
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2007, 12:33:10 PM »

THX for the info..REALLY..!!!..You know who you are..!!!..
DJ M
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2007, 09:54:38 AM »

sorry, mistake
« Last Edit: November 23, 2007, 09:56:25 AM by DJ M » Logged
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2011, 08:52:01 AM »

Parts of Southern California have similarities to Passing By.
What parts?

Also, I've read where a couple of folks think that Passing By as at the end of The Like in I love You...where at? I don't hear it?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2011, 09:22:59 AM »

Also, I've read where a couple of folks think that Passing By as at the end of The Like in I love You...where at? I don't hear it?

Never really thought of it before, but yeah, I can see that....the wordless vocal part sounds similar, but not exactly.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2011, 10:10:51 AM »

Never really thought of it before, but yeah, I can see that....the wordless vocal part sounds similar, but not exactly.

Yeah, I heard the "Passing By" reference first time through. This was the part that confused me when early on when it was suggested erroneously that Scott Bennett had written "Southern California" entirely on his own - my first thought was, "well, he borrowed a bit of 'Passing By' for it"; it turns out, Brian himself re-purposed a bit of it instead.
GuyOnTheBeach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2011, 10:19:47 AM »

TLOS reminds me of something written in the BW88 liners about Brian never letting a good hook go to waste, very true for this album I think.

I sometimes wonder if Brian blocks certain tracks from archival releases because he has used or intends to use a part of the track.. seems unlikely but he could do I guess.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2011, 10:20:12 AM »

Yeah, I heard the "Passing By" reference first time through. This was the part that confused me when early on when it was suggested erroneously that Scott Bennett had written "Southern California" entirely on his own - my first thought was, "well, he borrowed a bit of 'Passing By' for it"; it turns out, Brian himself re-purposed a bit of it instead.
Is it the section that sings: "woah woah woah it's magical...that it happen to me"?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2011, 10:32:27 AM »

Is it the section that sings: "woah woah woah it's magical...that it happen to me"?

No, actually it's the chorus itself. Note the transition from the first line of the chorus into the second line - it sounds a lot like Brian's wordless vocal part on the FRIENDS track.
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 23, 2011, 01:19:57 PM »

I just want to point out, in my opinion (and I could be horribly wrong), this isn't Brian just recycling stuff because he can't think of anything else.  What we're seeing here is a musical genius who has thousands of melodies floating around his head, and he frankly doesn't give a sh*t if he's used a melody before or not.  This isn't anything new to music or new to Brian; he recycled "Song For Children" into part of "Good Vibrations", he stole a melody he liked from Chuck Berry when he was barely an adult and made "Surfin' U.S.A.", he praises George Gershwin's famous variations on themes, he recorded a fabled 6 or 7 versions of "Shortenin' Bread" which he himself didn't write in the first place, etc. 

I see this thread has been "revivied" but I have to say WOW this was THE post of 2007!!!  Great comments!

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Slow In Brain
Smiley Smile Associate

Rainbow Eyes

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 23, 2011, 11:54:31 PM »

Live Let Live has that Sail On Sailor vibe... Where did Mexican Girl originate from ?

"When the time comes an American can't tell the truth because the Government doesn't, that's the time to give the country back to the Indians, if they'll have it." - Sam Holland

"What draws us all closer and makes us all care. Is not what we have, but the things that we share." - Jill Wolf
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx