gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 10:44:11 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: brother records 2fers cds  (Read 6301 times)
wiggbuggie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 29, 2007, 01:06:12 PM »

why dont any of them have any bonus tracks like the capitol 2fers do in the 60s? Their are lots a great songs they could of put on like 4th of july, lady, just got my pay, runnin bear etc
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007, 01:50:26 PM »

why dont any of them have any bonus tracks like the capitol 2fers do in the 60s? Their are lots a great songs they could of put on like 4th of july, lady, just got my pay, runnin bear etc

That option was discussed, but ultimately nixed by Capitol. At one point, there was going to be a Brothers Rarities collection as well. To do it right, the Warners albums would probably have to have been reissued individually in order to include a good selection of bonus tracks. It was deemed a better marketing plan to issue the albums as two-fers with no bonus tracks.
BananaLouie
Smiley Smile Associate

Columnated ruins domino

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2007, 04:25:04 PM »

I'm not familiar with Runnin Bear, who wrote it?

"I'm not a genius. I'm just a hard working guy." - Brian Wilson
Wilsonista
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2007, 04:46:45 PM »

That would be RUNNING Bear, not Runnin Bear.

It's a cover of a song written by the Big Bopper. His friend Johnny Preston had the hit. The BB version is an outtake from 15 Big Ones. I don't think vocals were cut for it.
wiggbuggie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2007, 05:19:56 PM »

the song was completed actually i heard it on a boot.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2007, 06:15:08 PM »

Is it just me, or are those two-fers getting harder & harder to find?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
thomasogg
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2007, 06:44:25 PM »

You obviously haven't been to HMV in Leeds, where they got hundreds of 'em (and they've started turning the covers around for some reason, so 20/20, Surf's Up, Holland, etc. are all facing forwards...) Yeh, I really wish there were extras on these CDs. In fact, I wish they'd re-release the BB albums, or at least the established classics (Today, Friends, Surf's Up, Holland, etc), individually, with extras, out-takes, etc. They've recently re-released the Monkees back catalogue in great cardboard sleeves, and entire bonus CDs featuring out-takes and so forth - would be great if they could do the same with the BB's! Having 2-fer's almost seems to imply the albums aren't worth owning on their own...
« Last Edit: October 29, 2007, 06:55:19 PM by thomasogg » Logged
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2007, 06:47:20 PM »

Agreed, thomasogg. On all counts. (Except HMV, which I don't know a damn about, being in Minneapolis. But we have the twofers here in our local indie stores.)

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
thomasogg
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2007, 06:57:34 PM »

It stands for Her Majesty's Voice and is a popular music/film shop in the UK, or at least it was last time I was living there... Not to be confused with HIV.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2007, 06:58:24 PM »

I know what it is. Just noting we haven't got 'em.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
wiggbuggie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2007, 07:10:22 PM »

yea a collection of rarities and such would be great the closest thing is the good vibrations box set the has some of the unreleased songs from the 70s
thomasogg
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2007, 08:05:05 PM »

How much of an influence do the remaining Beach Boys have on releases stemming from this period, i.e. how much of a say does Mike Love have on whether Dennis'unreleased Surf's Up songs are added onto any future CD re-release? I'm sure you see what I'm getting at...
BananaLouie
Smiley Smile Associate

Columnated ruins domino

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2007, 09:07:46 PM »

Nope they're practically impossible to find in record stores, I had to order Today/Summer days, Sunflower/Surfs up and Passions/Holland.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2007, 09:13:48 PM by Jason Byzewski » Logged

"I'm not a genius. I'm just a hard working guy." - Brian Wilson
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2007, 09:51:42 PM »

It stands for Her Majesty's Voice and is a popular music/film shop in the UK, or at least it was last time I was living there... Not to be confused with HIV.

It stands for His Masters Voice, the unofficial name for The Gramophone Company, founded in the UK in 1899. The name came about because of the famous painting of a dog looking into the horn of a gramophone (originally a cylinder player).
« Last Edit: October 29, 2007, 10:17:07 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2007, 10:15:27 PM »

« Last Edit: October 29, 2007, 10:17:34 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
thomasogg
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2007, 10:47:26 PM »

Actually it stands for Helen Mirren's Vagina. And that's true that is...
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2007, 01:10:07 AM »

(...)
Having 2-fer's almost seems to imply the albums aren't worth owning on their own...

I totally agree. What a shame since it certainly is a matter of marketing if a record is perceived as being worth owning on its own. Personally, I came to fully appreciate some of the Beach Boys' albums when I bought the vinyl versions. Carl and the Passions for instance really came to life for me, while I didn't like it in particular before, being exclusively focused on Holland, its superior "b-side". Also, these twofer editions seem to imply the Beach Boys never made one great album from start to finish except for Pet Sounds, the great, utterly untouchable exception. A while ago that very fact even made me sort of dislike the Pet Sounds album quite a bit... 'til I gave it yet another spin, that is. Smiley
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2007, 07:03:26 AM »

I know there were two issues of twofers.  The most recent one is still available.  All of the twofers are in print and can be ordered.  There is a brochure accompanying the WOTS compilation.

As for turning the covers over, I've done that on all of my "extra" copies so when flipping through I'm visually tempted by more choice and variety. 
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2007, 08:08:15 AM »

If I'm not mistaken, I think they also have HMV in Canada.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2007, 08:17:28 AM »

As for turning the covers over, I've done that on all of my "extra" copies so when flipping through I'm visually tempted by more choice and variety. 

Of course it could be a way to trick people into buying CDs twice without realizing it.
Beach Boy
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got tears in the morning

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2007, 08:18:58 AM »

Nope they're practically impossible to find in record stores, I had to order Today/Summer days, Sunflower/Surfs up and Passions/Holland.

I had to order much more, but I got almost all 60ies album at a very large store, which I really like. But now there isn't any Beach Boys CD there.  Angry

Late at night
When the whole world's sleeping
I dream of you
Close to you I feel your sweet heart beating
I dream of you
wiggbuggie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2007, 07:55:16 PM »

well the easiest place to get them is online like amazon and ebay
Zander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2007, 03:33:05 AM »

I asked the same question ages ago on the Blueboard and Andrew Doe told me that Capitol / Brother released the Hawthorne CA collection to compensate for no additional tracks on the Brother 2-fers. Again, that compilation didn't cover some of the tracks we would've liked....

They say I got brains but they ain't doing me no good, I wish they could...
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2007, 03:42:34 AM »

I asked the same question ages ago on the Blueboard and Andrew Doe told me that Capitol / Brother released the Hawthorne CA collection to compensate for no additional tracks on the Brother 2-fers. Again, that compilation didn't cover some of the tracks we would've liked....

But heaps of those tracks on Hawthorne, CA are still from the Capitol years anyway
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2007, 03:43:58 AM »

If I'm not mistaken, I think they also have HMV in Canada.

And Australia too
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx