gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:54:34 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys trivia... Add yours...  (Read 20177 times)
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: December 21, 2009, 02:26:18 AM »

There's one song on '20/20' that was written by someone who's been convicted of murdering someone with his own hands. And it's not 'Never Learn To Love', but 'Cotton Fields'!

I hope Jim Gordon didn't play drums on 20/20. What a trifecta that would be. police

Does anybody know if he did? If so, than '20/20' had creative imput from THREE convicted murderers... That would be something...

I'm finally going to be able to convince everyone the Beach Boys were cooler than the Beatles.
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 21, 2009, 03:02:40 AM »

There's one song on '20/20' that was written by someone who's been convicted of murdering someone with his own hands. And it's not 'Never Learn To Love', but 'Cotton Fields'!

I hope Jim Gordon didn't play drums on 20/20. What a trifecta that would be. police

Does anybody know if he did? If so, than '20/20' had creative imput from THREE convicted murderers... That would be something...

I'm finally going to be able to convince everyone the Beach Boys were cooler than the Beatles.

I don't see how that makes them cool Shrug But sadly, I reckon there'd be some people that would find that fact cool.
rogerlancelot
« Reply #77 on: December 21, 2009, 04:16:54 AM »

So sorry, Beatles have the "coolness" factor that the Beach Boys will never have. But the BB go much deeper if you think about it.....
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 21, 2009, 04:38:42 AM »

The Beach Boys were the forefathers of gangsta rap... Not only did they hang out with (future) murderers, they were dissing their East Coast rivals in a song before 2Pac and Biggie were even born!
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 04:42:25 AM by shelter » Logged
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 21, 2009, 05:36:02 AM »

LOL

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Beckgtr09
Smiley Smile Associate

I've been in this town so long......

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 21, 2009, 04:40:13 PM »

How many times were the Double Rock Baptist Church Choir used on songs that either the band used  or for solo material ? And we're they compensated for their involvement ? Also whatever happened to them to them since then HuhHuh

If the live show at Wembley was " fantastic " when they opened for Elton John, was it ever recorded and would it be the best live show they ever did at that time Huh  Huh

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 21, 2009, 05:02:01 PM »

How many times were the Double Rock Baptist Church Choir used on songs that either the band used  or for solo material ? And we're they compensated for their involvement ? Also whatever happened to them to them since then HuhHuh

Compton pastor accused of embezzling $800,000 in church funds
The Rev. E. Joshua Sims of Double Rock Baptist Church has been arrested after an 11-month sheriff's investigation. He allegedly used the money to pay for personal luxuries.
August 20, 2009|Alexandra Zavis

A Baptist minister was arrested Wednesday on suspicion of embezzling more than $800,000 from the church he leads in Compton to pay for personal luxuries, including an expensive car and swimming pool, officials said.

The Rev. E. Joshua Sims, 47, pastor at Double Rock Baptist Church in Compton, was taken into custody without incident about 9:30 a.m. at his home in Corona, said Steve Whitmore, spokesman for the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department. Sims' arrest concludes an 11-month sheriff's investigation, Whitmore said.

http://articles.latimes.com/2009/aug/20/local/me-church20

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 21, 2009, 05:15:49 PM »

OK, I'll bite....

1) Two times; for the performance of "That Same Song" on the 1976 TV special, and for the recording of Dennis Wilson's "River Song"
2) Probably, but it wouldn't surprise me if there were some "accounting" mix-ups, and the check never got there
3) See TheOtherAnonymous' above post
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 21, 2009, 11:06:42 PM »

1) Two times; for the performance of "That Same Song" on the 1976 TV special, and for the recording of Dennis Wilson's "River Song"

Checking C-Man's website, he lists them as singing on "Pacific Ocean Blues" and puts them as possibly singing on several Bambu cuts
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 23, 2012, 12:33:32 PM »

Correction:
Leadbelly wrote Cotton Fields
Phil Spector co-wrote I Can Hear Music
Charles Manson co-wrote Never Learn Not to Love

I would still like to know if Jim Gordon played on anything on '20/20'. Cause that would make it an album made with the help of no less than four convicted muderers. That's pretty bizarre...
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: August 26, 2012, 10:54:04 AM »

Correction:

I would still like to know if Jim Gordon played on anything on '20/20'. Cause that would make it an album made with the help of no less than four convicted muderers. That's pretty bizarre...

20/20 really is a killer album.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 27, 2012, 08:25:44 AM »

Correction:

Jeezus Christ, this is weird. I never realized it before.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
EthanJames
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 27, 2012, 09:07:39 AM »

Bowie cut at least one album in Berlin...

Elton cut an album in France...

REM recorded an album in London...

Elton John actually did 3 Albums in France.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 27, 2012, 09:31:29 AM »

Jim Gordon plays on Cabinessence, at least.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 27, 2012, 10:03:02 AM »

Here's a few trivia questions....

-How many times has Brian recorded "Back Home"?

-Who produced "The Beach Boys" and what group was he popular for producing?

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: August 27, 2012, 10:11:35 AM »

Here's a few trivia questions....

-How many times has Brian recorded "Back Home"?

-Who produced "The Beach Boys" and what group was he popular for producing?

1. Too many. Grin

2. Steve Levine, and Culture Club was one of his successes. (IMO, there are some really great Culture Club records like 'Church Of The Poison Mind' and 'Do You Really Want To Hurt Me' and 'Karma Chameleon' that have stood the test of time as well-produced and well-performed records, image and 80's retro scene aside)

If anyone thinks Steve Levine's stock and trade was all about tightly produced 80's pop, here is a link with him discussing and dissecting the sounds and styles of Motown: http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/musicblog/audio/2010/nov/10/music-weekly-motown-special-sound?INTCMP=ILCNETTXT3487

Hearing this makes me wish he had used more of the Motown sound when he did Beach Boys '85, but ultimately he wasn't hired to craft that kind of sound for the band and they were looking for a bandwagon-jumping "hit sound", so that's the technique(s) he applied, current to 1984.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: August 27, 2012, 07:47:09 PM »

The answer to my first question may lead slightly off-topic, but:

-if the Beach Boys (Brian) were not the first self-produced group/artist in rock/pop then who was?

-If Capitol Records presumably thought the SMiLE music too out there, then what was the reaction to the even weirder Smiley Smile?

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 27, 2012, 10:18:11 PM »

-if the Beach Boys (Brian) were not the first self-produced group/artist in rock/pop then who was?

Elvis was the true producer of all his 50's RCA sides, though he wasn't credited as such.

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 27, 2012, 10:24:29 PM »

The Teddy Bears, Eddie Cochran and Jan & Dean are also early examples.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: August 28, 2012, 08:37:33 AM »

Important to note that the term "producer" has meant different things through the years, and in the 50's and 60's the word "producer" was often not used in favor of "A&R Rep" or something similar. So your label had an A&R Rep who on any given day might be out scouting new acts to sign, listening to stacks of demos from publishing companies trying to place new songs, or sitting in on a session from one of their stable of artists.

The thing about Elvis on RCA - Chet Atkins was assigned to the sessions as an RCA staff producer (or A&R rep, whatever term is preferred). It feels like RCA sent him there to make sure everything was handled professionally and that their money investment was safe. Atkins basically strummed some rhythm guitar and watched as Elvis and his core band tore up the studio in a musical sense. Didn't Chet Atkins even call his wife to the studio to also watch what was happening with Elvis, because he thought he was seeing something really special and different go down?

How about Dylan's early 60's output? Was the producer/A&R rep really affecting the actual songs or performances in the way a Phil Spector was trying to control everything? I don't think so. Apart from the nuts and bolts organization tasks and keeping everything running smooth, many so-called producers were simply not doing anything close to what Brian or Spector were doing.

As far as self-production, how about Buddy Holly? Yes he had a guru in the studio to oversee and make some technical calls that Buddy wouldn't know about, but basically those classic tracks were in a large part due to Buddy himself "self producing" the music in what we'd now call "pre-production". They just went in a banged out the songs that Buddy had built up in the months before in his mind and at whatever rehearsal area the band played.

I agree about Elvis acting as producer, much more in the 50's though. It was Elvis' own call from what I understand whether they had a good take, and he'd work the sh*t out of that band take after take to get what he wanted. It would seem Elvis, like Brian Wilson demanding take after vocal take when everyone else thought the keeper was already on tape, was on a different plane of perception when hearing the music played back, and could sense when something was just a little off in the feel, the performance, or the overall vibe of a song.

Therefore, even in 2012, Elvis' 50's RCA songs are those where you cannot possibly find something a little off that you'd think could have been improved in any way. I'm not saying perfect, but the sounds are exactly what the song called for. And that was ultimately Elvis' call in the studio, from all indications.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 08:51:14 AM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 28, 2012, 10:45:38 AM »

Important to note that the term "producer" has meant different things through the years, and in the 50's and 60's the word "producer" was often not used in favor of "A&R Rep" or something similar. So your label had an A&R Rep who on any given day might be out scouting new acts to sign, listening to stacks of demos from publishing companies trying to place new songs, or sitting in on a session from one of their stable of artists.

The thing about Elvis on RCA - Chet Atkins was assigned to the sessions as an RCA staff producer (or A&R rep, whatever term is preferred). It feels like RCA sent him there to make sure everything was handled professionally and that their money investment was safe. Atkins basically strummed some rhythm guitar and watched as Elvis and his core band tore up the studio in a musical sense. Didn't Chet Atkins even call his wife to the studio to also watch what was happening with Elvis, because he thought he was seeing something really special and different go down?

How about Dylan's early 60's output? Was the producer/A&R rep really affecting the actual songs or performances in the way a Phil Spector was trying to control everything? I don't think so. Apart from the nuts and bolts organization tasks and keeping everything running smooth, many so-called producers were simply not doing anything close to what Brian or Spector were doing.

As far as self-production, how about Buddy Holly? Yes he had a guru in the studio to oversee and make some technical calls that Buddy wouldn't know about, but basically those classic tracks were in a large part due to Buddy himself "self producing" the music in what we'd now call "pre-production". They just went in a banged out the songs that Buddy had built up in the months before in his mind and at whatever rehearsal area the band played.

I agree about Elvis acting as producer, much more in the 50's though. It was Elvis' own call from what I understand whether they had a good take, and he'd work the sh*t out of that band take after take to get what he wanted. It would seem Elvis, like Brian Wilson demanding take after vocal take when everyone else thought the keeper was already on tape, was on a different plane of perception when hearing the music played back, and could sense when something was just a little off in the feel, the performance, or the overall vibe of a song.

Therefore, even in 2012, Elvis' 50's RCA songs are those where you cannot possibly find something a little off that you'd think could have been improved in any way. I'm not saying perfect, but the sounds are exactly what the song called for. And that was ultimately Elvis' call in the studio, from all indications.

Nice post. I think Chet was only at a comparative few early Elvis sessions. Steve Sholes was the main "company man" who was merely a warm RCA body to sit in the control room and take sleeve credit.
With Buddy, I would say that is a case of co-production with Norman Petty, an unfairly overlooked figure in the Holly story. I'd say that situation was similar to mid-period Beatles records, with the band controlling their music overall, but allowing for major contributions from their more trained/seasoned producer.
Eddie Cochran had a setup similar to that of Les Paul. He not only produced his own early hits, but played all the instruments as well.
Good note on Dylan there. John Hammond, Tom Wilson and Bob Johnston definitely took more of a documentary approach to capturing Bob.

Exapno Mapcase
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 28, 2012, 10:53:39 AM »

Dennis had a bigger c*ck than Ringo.  Try posting that on the Hoffman board and see if you don't get flamed.

Honk! Honk!
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 28, 2012, 11:17:54 AM »

Dennis had a bigger galo than Ringo. 

Dennis had a bigger schwantz than Ringo?  My God, Ringo is 5'6".  No wonder Dennis was so popular with the ladies.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #98 on: August 30, 2012, 02:21:29 AM »

Correction:

in that BEACH BOYS & SATAN movie, which I haven't gotten around to seeing yet ....DAMN MY BUSY SCHEDULE!!!
Is the thesis one of a demon possessed Beach Boys?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 09:24:53 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx