gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680784 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 10:53:18 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Earlier versions of River Song  (Read 2830 times)
NightHider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 22, 2007, 12:19:32 AM »

I have been fishing around to hear this earlier than POB version of River Song for awhile now and no one is biting, so.....before I spend waaaay too much cash to hear just one song, I wondered if someone can set my expectations?

Beach Boys River Song 1973 'rehearsal recording' -

Who all sings on this rehearsal recording?  How finished was it?  Was there an instrumental track or is this just piano and vocals?  How does it sound in comparison to the POB fiished version?  Any other info or opinions on this version of River Song to a guy about to drop some cash?

Beach Boys River Song performed live in 1973 -

Which shows was this performed at in 1973?  Which shows are in circulation?  Soundboard or audience recordings?  Sound quality?  How did the guys sound?  Any video of this performance in circulation?

As always, any input is appreciated!! Or, if someone knows where I can hear it....... Wink
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 01:11:58 AM »

The rehearsal is taken from a KABC-TV clip from 1973 - sounds like all the band in the studio to me, a much rougher edge than the POB version. I think Blondie takes such lead as there is.

There's a live performance doing the rounds, at Hartford CT, 8/24/73. Audience recording, and they sound good. They also did the song at a Nassau Coliseum gig earlier in the month, but I'm not sure if tapes of that exist.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 05:07:47 AM »

My recollection of the KABC-TV clip is that "River Song" is rehearsed instrumentally, with no vocals.  Been awhile since I've listened to it, so I could be wrong.  Either way it's not the entire song, just a snippet.  Sadly no video circulates, just audio.  Better than nothing though!

And tape does indeed exist of the '73 Nassau Coliseum concert (aside from the professional multi-track, I mean).  So there's two live performances of the song on the collector's circuit.  The Hartford version is better known and probably better quality (haven't listened to Nassau in a long time, but do listen to Hartorfd at least once a year)!

mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2007, 07:18:30 AM »

Gee, I never knew that tapes of them performing River Song were actually circulating. Boy, I'd love to hear them Wink
El Goodo
Smiley Smile Associate

coffee man

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 06:36:39 AM »

Not instrumental only but missing some background vocals and the whole ībreaks my heartī vocal section.
What vocals there are sound good with the BB fullness but the most obvious difference is the piano melody is now overpowered by the same melody on electric guitar but works well enough
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 06:40:19 AM by El Goodo » Logged
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2007, 09:48:46 AM »

Off topic, but couldn't resist: El Godoo, that's got to be the coolest avatar ever seen on this board. I love O Lucky Man, probably my very favorite movie.
NightHider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2007, 02:12:45 PM »

Can someone please clarify if the River Song listed on my Bamboo CD as 'alternate' is something different than the 'rehearsal recording'?  Do the BB sing on this Alt track?

On this 'alternate' track, at the very beginning you can hear the 'wind' of the tape as it starts to roll and then some background chatter that goes on  thru the initial piano playing with no choir vocals.

Thanks...   
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2007, 06:02:38 PM »

Can someone please clarify if the River Song listed on my Bamboo CD as 'alternate' is something different than the 'rehearsal recording'?  Do the BB sing on this Alt track?

On this 'alternate' track, at the very beginning you can hear the 'wind' of the tape as it starts to roll and then some background chatter that goes on  thru the initial piano playing with no choir vocals.

Thanks...   

Yes, it's different.  That's a rough mix of the song at an earlier stage (around 1974).  The same track evolved into the "POB" cut.  The "rehearsal" from KABC 1973 is as I describe it above:  short and without much (if anything) in the way of vocals. 
NightHider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2007, 07:03:22 PM »

Alright, so it appears there are FOUR different recordings of River Song in circulation as follows:

Two live versions with the BB on vocals from concerts in 1973 - both are audience recordings/both with Blondie on lead vocal.

One finsished cut as appears on the released POB.

One Alt mix that was an early  'work in progress' and eventually ended up as the 'base' track for the POB released version.  This version is essentially the same as the POB version overall, minus the choir vocals.

Is this correct?  Some seem to believe that the Alt mix has BB on vocals.  Any disputes here? 

Special thanks again to those who have 'chimed in'.  Really restores my faith in mankind in these trying times.  I am very interested in hearing any live versions of this song.....

« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 07:19:19 PM by NightHider » Logged
roll plymouth rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2007, 07:28:39 PM »

I assume you've seen this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HCOR6-ccHI

If not, enjoy!!

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2007, 07:30:32 PM »

Alright, so it appears there are FOUR different recordings of River Song in circulation as follows:

Two live versions with the BB on vocals from concerts in 1973 - both are audience recordings/both with Blondie on lead vocal.

One finsished cut as appears on the released POB.

One Alt mix that was an early  'work in progress' and eventually ended up as the 'base' track for the POB released version.  This version is essentially the same as the POB version overall, minus the choir vocals.

Is this correct?  Some seem to believe that the Alt mix has BB on vocals.  Any disputes here? 

Special thanks again to those who have 'chimed in'.  Really restores my faith in mankind in these trying times.  I am very interested in hearing any live versions of this song.....

I'm sure the alternate mix from '74ish has two Beach Boys on vocals (Carl & Dennis).  Not sure about the rest, but I don't really hear 'em.

There might be a FIFTH version in circulation...the monitor mix from the choir session as seen in the Ed Roach promo film.  That was on Youtube awhile back, maybe still is.  
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx