gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680994 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 13, 2024, 11:59:37 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Great song - coulda been better!  (Read 16017 times)
thomasogg
« on: October 19, 2007, 06:51:39 PM »

Here's a interesting one: Beach Boy songs that could/should have been great, but something went wrong and they blew it! Not blew it perhaps, but damn it, it coulda been better! Personally i'd say 'All This Is That', the fade out could have been terrific but the production is all wrong.. Carl's gorgeous vocal kicks in and it's great, but then it just suddenly and clumsily leaps back into the mix, whereas it really should have been kept to the fore alongside Mike's chanting and the piano. You might disagree, but it bugs me everytime i listen to the track. I generally don't particuarly approve of remixing and remastering etc but this track is crying out for someone to mend that fade. (I not yet heard the version on 'Warmth of The Sun' - perhaps they have..?)

Anyway, anyone feel a similar way about a BB track (send nominations, and messages going on about how great you happen to think 'All This Is That' is so f*** me!, to the site folks!)
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2007, 07:13:07 PM »

I'm not sure if I'd call it a great song, but "This Car Of Mine" is a catchy little tune with a good vocal by Dennis.  But it's a very short song, one of the shortest they made, and doesn't really go anywhere.  It seems like another verse, with maybe an alternate chorus would've made it a better song...

« Last Edit: October 19, 2007, 09:02:12 PM by Ebb and Flow » Logged
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2007, 07:44:42 PM »

About half of the Beach Boys '85 album would've sounded great with the BB's classic 60s sound instead of Steve Levine's dreadful production, with more creative input from Brian (unfortunately he was "Landy-fied" at the time), and with Mike Love sounding less nasal.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2007, 08:24:01 PM »

I've always thought that "Meant For You" had great potential to be a really great three minute song, had somebody written more lyrics, and possibly a middle eight.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
thomasogg
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2007, 08:33:19 PM »

Just thought of another: 'Don't Go Near the Water'. It's too over-produced by far, almost as if they're desperately trying to compensate for the songs slight-ness by filling it full of distracting noises and sound effects. It would've worked better i think had they just recorded it stripped down 'Friends'-style.

(As a footnote, for years i'd always thought it was Carl singing the great section in the middle: saw the song video on u tube yesterday and turns out it's Al. Eeeh, well i never....)
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2007, 08:45:44 PM »

"409" - guitars could've rocked more
"California Girls" - one minor complaint - tag should've been longer
"Wild Honey" - too slow, strained vocal; listen to Blondie Chaplin's take in the early 70's
"Lady" - tremendous song, under produced; would've liked a more prominent guitar like the version performed on the David Frost Show
"Let's Put Our Hearts Together" - great underrated song, poor performance though
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2007, 08:34:42 AM »

"Oh Darlin!". Great love song, terrible production. Mike's singing is also not very good and I prefer Brian's early version to Carl singing on the released one. The background-parts are very dumb imo with just one or two good ideas. Bruce's "god only knows how I love you..."-tag is also kind a misfit imo. The song itself though is great

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2007, 08:38:59 AM »

"Oh Darlin!". Great love song, terrible production. Mike's singing is also not very good and I prefer Brian's early version to Carl singing on the released one. The background-parts are very dumb imo with just one or two good ideas. Bruce's "god only knows how I love you..."-tag is also kind a misfit imo. The song itself though is great

The first half of that album could almost fit under this discussion, except in my opinion those songs aren't great. They are, however, a lot better than what those recordings/production choices made them sound like. KTSA, even with the same songs, could have been decent instead of bad.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2007, 08:50:10 AM »

The first half of that album could almost fit under this discussion, except in my opinion those songs aren't great. They are, however, a lot better than what those recordings/production choices made them sound like. KTSA, even with the same songs, could have been decent instead of bad.

I agree with you guys. Side A of KTSA should've really ROCKED, but it didn't. When Bruce Johnston came back as producer, he did a great job cleaning up the sound vocally, but a lot of the tracks are too slick, or sterile.
Beach Boy
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got tears in the morning

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2007, 09:14:05 AM »

I agree with you guys. Side A of KTSA should've really ROCKED, but it didn't. When Bruce Johnston came back as producer, he did a great job cleaning up the sound vocally, but a lot of the tracks are too slick, or sterile.

Yeah, see "School Days".

Great song that could have been better? "Gettin' Hungry", I don't like the parts with just the vocals.   Angry  "Loop De Loop", good song but Al messed up with the production.
"Problem Child" without the childrens' voices (same with "Santa's Goin' To Kokomo" and "Make It Big" movie version could have been better.

"Here Comes The Night" is not rockin' enough (same with "Darlin'"), and the disco version is too long. "Good Vibrations" is compared to the sesssions a joke.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2007, 09:17:20 AM by Beach Boy » Logged

Late at night
When the whole world's sleeping
I dream of you
Close to you I feel your sweet heart beating
I dream of you
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2007, 09:25:01 AM »

"Devoted to You" - without the "Party!" overdubs. Thankfully, we got this one on the "Hawthorne, CA" CD!

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
Beach Boy
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got tears in the morning

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2007, 09:26:59 AM »

"Auld Lang Syne" without the message from Dennis, but that's too avaible.  Cheesy

Late at night
When the whole world's sleeping
I dream of you
Close to you I feel your sweet heart beating
I dream of you
thomasogg
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2007, 06:17:03 PM »

It's pretty wll known that 'Let Him Run Wild' is a track Brian himself is unhappy with, but i disagree with the great man as to its faults. It ain't his vocal performance, it's the occasionally muddy production that spoils what is obviously a tremendous song in itself. The second chorus in particular doesn't come off as it should i feel. Wish it coulda got the same production polish afforded the 'Pet Sounds' tracks...
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2007, 08:51:10 PM »

"It's Ok" - petters out too early.  Would have been a bigger hit fleshed out to a longer tune. 

Same with "Good Timin".  Gorgious song that end way to early.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2007, 10:37:07 PM »

This Whole World is a verse short, it should have been a hit single but too short! ,Lookin At Tomorrow is also a verse short, It's Ok is also a verse short, I hate to do this but I would put some harmonies (not alot) on Caroline No, Santa Ana Winds has a great beat but should have been released with its original lyrics, Keepin The Summer Alive needed to rock like its live, Lady Lynda needed stripped down production.
doc smiley
Smiley Smile Associate

Timeless pounds the livin' daylights outta trendy

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2007, 01:36:58 AM »

"It's Ok" - petters out too early.  Would have been a bigger hit fleshed out to a longer tune. 

How about a proper beginning? That fault is the only reason this wasn't a much bigger hit...

also "Getcha Back" decent song... horrible vocal from Mike... should have been redone... don't know what Steve Levine was thinking there...
« Last Edit: October 21, 2007, 01:38:37 AM by doc smiley » Logged

"A voice or a song can be so comforting to someone who really needs it."
..................................Brian Wilson, 1990
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2007, 02:15:44 AM »

When I read this question, the title track of KTSA immediately came to mind.  I would remove the "duh-duh-duh" bass vocal, which they wisely didn't use when performing it live.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2007, 02:17:18 AM »

How about a proper beginning? That fault is the only reason this wasn't a much bigger hit...

Around 2004 or 2005, Mike & Bruce were using the intro to "California Beach" as the intro to "It's OK", and it worked perfectly!
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2007, 11:34:50 AM »

also "Getcha Back" decent song... horrible vocal from Mike... should have been redone... don't know what Steve Levine was thinking there...

Mike's vocal on GETCHA BACK sounds nasally to the extreme, almost as if he was doing it on purpose.  Compare it to his vocal on MALE EGO.  Then again, maybe Steve Levine made it sound that way.

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2007, 01:47:21 PM »

Mike's vocal on GETCHA BACK sounds nasally to the extreme, almost as if he was doing it on purpose.  Compare it to his vocal on MALE EGO.  Then again, maybe Steve Levine made it sound that way.

Mike seems to be quite proud of his "multiple voices"... I wouldn't be surprised if his vocals on Getcha Back were really done on purpose.

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2007, 04:48:15 PM »

'Nearest Faraway Place'...Weak lead organ (Sorry Bruce) Sad
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2007, 02:17:27 PM »

'Nearest Faraway Place'...Weak lead organ (Sorry Bruce) Sad

I think that is such stinky, stinky cheese that it doesn't reach the "great song" requirement before the qualifying "could've been better" part. Oh, it could've been better..by total abandonment and reinvention.

That said, we all have our preferences. If you like it, I will work hard to remove it from my 20/20 and somehow give it to you. MAKE IT GO AWAY.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2007, 09:56:34 PM »

Grin
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2007, 03:17:33 AM »

That said, we all have our preferences.

Yes we do Luther and I quite like it. Of course it's nowhere near one of my favourite Beach Boys tracks, but I still think it's a decent song. It's quite relaxing I think. I wish I could compose a song like that
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2007, 05:50:57 AM »

Our Car Club would've been great with better lyrics.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx