gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 07:26:28 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Byrds  (Read 9521 times)
wind chime
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 25, 2005, 05:14:34 PM »

Let there be discussion... Smiley

Watcher of the skies...watcher of all...
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2005, 05:21:27 PM »

Love 'em, particularly the country stuff in the late '60s.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2005, 05:50:22 PM »

VERRRYYYY interesting photo.  Not seen them in the studio with Skip.  Any more where that came from?
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2005, 05:55:16 PM »

The most underrated band of all time.
Just got two incredible live shows from Jan 4 1970 from Joel. Great stuff.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Old Rake
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2005, 06:01:50 AM »

Every era of the band was phenomenal in their own way.

Plus: the band's former member's albums are ALSO all phenomenal in their own way.

Love them. DEEPLY.

"Notorious" is my favorite, but the others are almost all up there with it. "Younger" and "Sweetheart" and the first two and "5D" and "Dr. Byrds" and "Easy Rider" and "Untitled" and and and and...well, I'm not the BIGGEST Byrdmaniax/Farther Along fan, but there ya go. And I like the reunion album, so what are you gonna do about it?
Jason
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2005, 01:07:21 PM »

What a phenomenal, underrated, undervalued band. There is so much more to this band than "Turn! Turn! Turn!". Favorite album is Sweetheart of the Rodeo. "Hickory Wind" gets me every time, I don't care how many times it's mentioned.

We need a Gram Parsons thread in here.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2005, 01:09:31 PM »

How about an International Submarine Band thread?

Joel5001
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2005, 10:43:03 PM »

I'm down, although I've never heard the entire album, just the tracks included on the Rhino Gram Parsons anthology.  Glad you're digging those 1970 shows.

Oh, I like the look of the new board.  Just made it back from Christmas with the family.  I'm now the proud owner of the new Band box.  But back to the Byrds, who prefers the GP vocals on the alternate tracks on the Sweetheart reissue?  They're great, but I'm still partial to the originals.

"First of all, let's get one thing straight: Crack is cheap. I make too much money to ever smoke crack." - Whitney Houston
wind chime
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2005, 11:45:58 PM »

I'm down, although I've never heard the entire album, just the tracks included on the Rhino Gram Parsons anthology.  Glad you're digging those 1970 shows.

Oh, I like the look of the new board.  Just made it back from Christmas with the family.  I'm now the proud owner of the new Band box.  But back to the Byrds, who prefers the GP vocals on the alternate tracks on the Sweetheart reissue?  They're great, but I'm still partial to the originals.

I think Roger does Christain Life perfectly...even better than Gram...Roger sounds more the part to me...Gram is trying but doesn't make it.

One Hundred Years...I think Gram is great on the outtake but again, Roger and Chris harmonize beautifully on the orignal released version. I downloaded a Gene Clark version and its not bad but not even close to the Byrds version (even though he is a byrd)

wind chime
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2005, 11:47:26 PM »

VERRRYYYY interesting photo.  Not seen them in the studio with Skip.  Any more where that came from?

Just do an image search on McGuinn and you get a tonne of pix...this one came from some site www.mlode.com but its got more to the address...

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2005, 02:17:56 AM »

I think Roger does Christain Life perfectly...even better than Gram...Roger sounds more the part to me...Gram is trying but doesn't make it.

I couldn't disagree more. Roger's gross imitation-parody of Gram is, to my ears, one of the worst moments in the Byrds' career. And the You Don't Miss Your Water vocal isn't far behind.

Matinee Idyll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2005, 04:22:56 AM »

I heard the two vinyl anthology thing... I love "Eight Miles High", fantastic song.
monkee knutz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2005, 08:54:48 AM »

I've got a friend that could care less about the Byrds. I don't understand it. He loves the 60's and everything about the era, but doesn't 'get' the Byrds. He doesn't dislike them, they've never clicked for him. He's a bit puzzled, too.
Crazy man, CRAZY.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2005, 09:41:23 AM »

Love the Byrds.  The first few albums are great, but the albums beginning with Younger than Yesterday are even BETTER.  YTY is my favorite, hands down.  And I own and listen frequently to everything from YTY through Byrdmaniax, Dr Byrds, and Farther Along.   Love the solo stuff as well.

Is there anyone out there that is as nuts on the Untitled version of  Lover of the Bayou as I am?

That Untitled Live stuff was just about as good as it gets.  What in the hell were they on when they live recorded Eight Miles High for that album???
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2005, 10:20:50 AM »

I've got a friend that could care less about the Byrds.

So your friend does care about them, eh?

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
b.dfzo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2005, 08:06:12 PM »

Used to listen to Sweetheart of The Rodeo on an hourly basis...great country-rock album, though it only has, like, two or three actual country-rock tunes, and that's including a bonus track..."One Hundred Years From Now", "Nothing Was Delivered", and "You've Got A Reputation" - that last one should have been on the album originally! The rest is really just straight-up country, whether it be country, with touches of rockabilly, honky-tonk, bluegrass, southern gospel, etc.
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2005, 08:11:50 PM »

Love love love the Byrds music.  It took a while, because their famous music from 1965 didn't register with me initially and still isn't my favorite Byrds music.  But Notorious converted me with a wallop, and the great music done post Hillman scattered all over those last albums were a great followup.  Plus they led me to the Flying Burrito Brothers.  What more could you ask for?
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2005, 08:47:22 PM »

Love love love the Byrds music.  It took a while, because their famous music from 1965 didn't register with me initially and still isn't my favorite Byrds music.  But Notorious converted me with a wallop, and the great music done post Hillman scattered all over those last albums were a great followup.  Plus they led me to the Flying Burrito Brothers.  What more could you ask for?

Same here, to a word.

donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2005, 07:25:04 AM »

An umatched body of work from McGuinn and company over a period of less than ten years.
cta
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2005, 09:53:24 PM »

I love how McGuinn has a perfect sense of rhythm...it's a very tangible rhythm that feels warm and cozy. 

I'm very partial to their 8 Miles High/Turn Turn Turn type stuff.  That country rock thing never really grabbed me by the cojones and lifted me above the shyte...to steal a line from Jimmy in the movie "The Committments".

I just couldn't get into their post-Crosby stuff.  Tried a few times, just can't take to it.  It's good playing, no question there...but the music seems like it's lacking color and dimension.

Feh.
Lester Byrd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2005, 10:12:48 PM »

How can we possibly be this far into a Byrds thread with no mention of Gene Clark yet?!?!

"Feel a Whole Lot Better", "Set You Free This Time", "She Don't Care About Time"--Awesome stuff.

Oh, and "Eight Miles High" is mostly his, too.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2005, 11:08:54 PM »

Because we may be tired of talking about him! I'm a little sick of it, myself.

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx