gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680824 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 04:20:08 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: City Blues HELP!  (Read 3606 times)
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« on: January 26, 2006, 08:59:27 PM »

what did scotty benet contribute to lyrics? i looked at the lyrics on surfermoon.com...there really isnt much...i guess i could get my hamburger sessions out, but im not at home at the moment

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2006, 02:41:40 AM »

Are you sure his contributions were lyrical? I know he basically "wrote" the solo that Clapton played...and i know he's written with Brian [No Tears in Heaven?  Is that what it's called?], but i didn't know he had a lyric credit for "City Blues"...

All of My Dad's Truck's on-line tracks all in one place!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2006, 03:39:37 AM »

Yeah I think the credits say "additional lyrics by...."

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2006, 04:55:22 AM »

Scott says he wrote the lyrics to the second verse, because in the demo Bri sang the same lyrics both times.

Interestingly, I was just listening to that clandestine hotel room interview a couple of fans held with Brian in December '81, and when asked about recent songs he'd written, Bri mentions that one, and says he wrote it with Dennis and Garby Leon (athough I think he misprounced Garby' s name).  Not that he RECORDED it with them, but that he WROTE it with them.  So maybe they deserve a credit too...

C-Man Cool
Jim McShane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2006, 05:38:34 AM »

Are you sure his contributions were lyrical? I know he basically "wrote" the solo that Clapton played...and i know he's written with Brian [No Tears in Heaven?  Is that what it's called?], but i didn't know he had a lyric credit for "City Blues"...

"No Wrong Notes In Heaven" is the title of the song he wrote with BW. Neat song, it's on The Dotted Line CD, which I highly recommend.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2006, 07:26:52 AM »

Scott says he wrote the lyrics to the second verse, because in the demo Bri sang the same lyrics both times.

Interestingly, I was just listening to that clandestine hotel room interview a couple of fans held with Brian in December '81, and when asked about recent songs he'd written, Bri mentions that one, and says he wrote it with Dennis and Garby Leon (athough I think he misprounced Garby' s name).  Not that he RECORDED it with them, but that he WROTE it with them.  So maybe they deserve a credit too...

C-Man Cool

But you don't know if he was talking 'bout City Blues, do you?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2006, 05:12:10 PM »

He said he wrote "City Blues" with Dennis and Garby.  His words, exactly.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2006, 05:02:52 AM »

Oh thanks. Cool to know that. From this view, you're probably right that Dennis and  Garby Leon deserve a credit. Great song btw

- Jack Rieley
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2006, 06:51:38 AM »

Yep, one of my faves.  A lot of reviewers diss Clapon's guitar part, saying it's too over-bearing and un-Brian like, but I for one really dig it.  I think it fits, and it STILL sounds like a Brian song.
Everytime I listen, I think Dennis would be proud to have Clapton on a song he and Brian wrote.  I think he would approve of Brian's version very very much.

I also think how it could have been a summer hit for the Beach Boys in '82...if only.

C-Man
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2006, 06:59:11 AM »

Yeah, if only they would have still been a "relevant" group and not that oldies-thing.

You know hat? I don't care if this sounds like Brian. I mean Pet Sounds, Smile, etc. wouldn't have happened if he tried to sound like The BBs

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx