gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:35:17 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blue Moo - 17 Jukebox Hits From Way Back Never - with Brian  (Read 5642 times)
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« on: October 05, 2007, 02:53:12 AM »

anyone familiar with the song "Speed Turtle", performed by Brian Wilson?

http://www.workman.com/products/9780761147756/

Put a nickel in the jukebox, assuming you can locate a jukebox, and that you remember what a nickel is. Here's legendary Beach Boy Brian Wilson singing lead and 10-part harmonies on "Speed Turtle." The incomparable Neil Sedaka crooning "Your Nose." B. B. King brings you a wistful "One Shoe Blues," Gerry and the Pacemakers offer "Mersey Lullaby," and relative newcomer (in this seasoned company) Patti LuPone of "Evita" fame sings—what else—the "Rabbit Tango." And then there's the hit single from Boynton's Your Personal Penguin sung by the impossibly cute Davy Jones of The Monkees. I mean jeepers, even Sha Na Na is here.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2007, 05:11:25 AM »

You can hear a small snippet of the track in the video on the page you gave the link to... But I had never, EVER heard of it.

The woman in the video states that "they" (who? Not Brian) wrote a "beach boys" kind of song, and Brian agreed to sing and arrange it. It sounds very synth-ish, low-cost production though.

I've watched it again and the (complete?) lyrics are readable in the video:

I want to tell you of the most amazing thing I know
You've got to just stand back now, and watch it go
It is compact, streamlined, built to last
Shiny and green and so incredibly fast

It's a SPEED TURTLE! Whoa ho!
It's a SPEED TURTLE! Oh no!
Man alive, it's in overdrive, go, little turtle, go, go

You know, it makes a little humming noise and moves like lightning
Its superstock power is a little bit frightening
And when that maniac gets going, well hang on to your hat
It can tear across the road in just three hours flat!

« Last Edit: October 05, 2007, 05:17:56 AM by SloopJohnB » Logged

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2007, 05:43:28 AM »

anyone familiar with the song "Speed Turtle", performed by Brian Wilson?

http://www.workman.com/products/9780761147756/

Put a nickel in the jukebox, assuming you can locate a jukebox, and that you remember what a nickel is. Here's legendary Beach Boy Brian Wilson singing lead and 10-part harmonies on "Speed Turtle." The incomparable Neil Sedaka crooning "Your Nose." B. B. King brings you a wistful "One Shoe Blues," Gerry and the Pacemakers offer "Mersey Lullaby," and relative newcomer (in this seasoned company) Patti LuPone of "Evita" fame sings—what else—the "Rabbit Tango." And then there's the hit single from Boynton's Your Personal Penguin sung by the impossibly cute Davy Jones of The Monkees. I mean jeepers, even Sha Na Na is here.

Great find SMiLE-Holland... I never realised that this even existed so thats kinda neat to see Brian guest appearing on another album even if it isn't that great of a song
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2007, 06:06:52 AM »

You can hear a small snippet of the track in the video on the page you gave the link to... But I had never, EVER heard of it.

The woman in the video states that "they" (who? Not Brian) wrote a "beach boys" kind of song, and Brian agreed to sing and arrange it. It sounds very synth-ish, low-cost production though.

I've watched it again and the (complete?) lyrics are readable in the video:

I want to tell you of the most amazing thing I know
You've got to just stand back now, and watch it go
It is compact, streamlined, built to last
Shiny and green and so incredibly fast

You know, it makes a little humming noise and moves like lightning
Its superstock power is a little bit frightening
And when that maniac gets going, well hang on to your hat
It can tear across the road in just three hours flat!

Sounds like Spider-Pig to me....  Grin

Would love to hear it. this year we got alot of new recordings by Brian. I'm very thankful for that.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2007, 07:03:11 AM »

I didn't really find it....I saw it being mentioned on the Mt Vernon&Fairway forum.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Alf64
Smiley Smile Associate

I have a License To Quill

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2007, 08:23:20 AM »

Serenade So will we be seeing brian in a turtle suit singing? Happy Dance
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx