gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:07:59 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dennis Wilson solo recordings  (Read 28186 times)
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 13, 2007, 01:38:29 PM »

And regarding "Kokomo", it's just my opinion, but I think a lot of "serious" fans would be more accepting of it had been a single released from a whole album of more mature-sounding stuff.  In other words, its deliberately commercial, and although the chorus hook appeals to the lowest common demoninator, the verses actually sound fairly mature to me.  Put that in the context of 10 or 11 other songs of the kind that they SHOULD have been producing by this point in their career, and it wouldn't seem so bad.  But like you say...it's hindsight.

That's quite an intriguing prospect to think about. Imagine BW88 being a Beach Boys album with Kokomo fitting snugly between Night Time and Let It Shine. An album like that, backed by the commercial success of the number one hit single and Brian's great album tunes might've been huge.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 13, 2007, 02:40:38 PM »

Oh, mikeyj, I wanted to respond to your above post regarding sales. I don't have the sales figures but, The Beach Boys Love You peaked at #53 in the U.S. and #28 in the U.K.; Pacific Ocean Blue peaked at #96 in the U.S. and did not chart in the U.K.

As you say, you don't have the sales figures, so it's entirely possible that POB outsold Love You (I'm talking exclusively about the US here)... I just remember reading that in several places and from what I rememeber they were pretty realiable sources... but I spose there is no way of knowing.. I mean there is every possibility that Love You outsold POB, which to be honest is probably more likely.

Love You peaked higher but was on the charts for a shorter length of time, and stores were subsequently filled with Love You cut-outs for decades, still one of the easiest BB's LPs to find. I think the chart placing was optimistic compared to actual demand. POB may have only risen #96 but it charted for two months. MIU peaked at #151 and L.A. Light peaked at #100. I think the anecdote that DW's solo LP sold better than the Beach Boys during that period is probably at least partially true. Al told me the band was aware of this at the time.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 13, 2007, 02:44:16 PM »

Jon, who were in the support band for Dennis' proposed tour? (Apart from Carl!!!!).

Which songs were in the set?

DW had Carli Munoz, Ed Carter, Bobby Figueroa, Ed Tuleja, Billy Hinsche, Carl and others, plus horns rehearsing the material.  The set was the LP.
MBE
« Reply #103 on: October 14, 2007, 11:23:26 PM »

Did he rehearse any earlier songs too or just the POB selections exclusively?
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 15, 2007, 01:34:13 AM »

Jon, who were in the support band for Dennis' proposed tour? (Apart from Carl!!!!).

Which songs were in the set?

DW had Carli Munoz, Ed Carter, Bobby Figueroa, Ed Tuleja, Billy Hinsche, Carl and others, plus horns rehearsing the material.  The set was the LP.
Picture this: A 2007 Dennis/Carl tour vs. a 2007 Brian and the Wondermints tour. Oh, the possibilities...  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Alan Boyd
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: October 15, 2007, 11:10:16 AM »

On the 77 rehearsal tapes, Dennnis and the band do run-throughs on a number of POB cuts - the one track not from the album is "Baby Blue."
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 15, 2007, 11:27:08 AM »

On the 77 rehearsal tapes, Dennnis and the band do run-throughs on a number of POB cuts - the one track not from the album is "Baby Blue."

Great info Alan, thanks for sharing. I wish these recordings would ever get a proper release...but knowing that even a regular Dennis POB-cd release is a tough job....I guess probably not...

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: October 15, 2007, 03:56:36 PM »

I've always liked to think that if Dennis had done that tour with the 22-piece "orchestra", he would have closed out the show with "Cuddle Up".  Wouldn't that have been cool? 
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 15, 2007, 08:10:40 PM »

Really?!?!? "Baby Blue" is, in my opinion, one of the most beautiful songs ever in the history of music. I would sell my mother to hear those rehearsal tapes.  LOL

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx