gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 03:29:20 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dennis Wilson solo recordings  (Read 28267 times)
peerke
Smiley Smile Associate

Pom-pi-dom-pi-dom

View Profile
« on: October 05, 2007, 06:06:07 AM »

Here is a three part text I prepared for another message board. Since they had a major crash some time ago and a lot of their messages were lost, I'll publish it here.

Feel free to comment or correct me.

Part 1 - Hubba Hubba - Dennis' unreleased solo-album

No one would have expected that the middle of the Wilson brothers would blossom like he did. For the first few years, Dennis was seen as the Beach Boys pin up. The epitome of Sixties West Coast cool. The only surfer in the Beach Boys. The good looking boy who sat behind his drums, smiling at the girls and getting them wild shaking his long blond hair.
Later he got even more stereotyped as a drug-abusing, womanising, Manson disciple.

Yet, those are only small aspects of his personality. In Dumb Angel: The Life and Music of Dennis Wilson he is portrayed by Adam Webb as a very generous, romantic soul and a prolific and songwriter.
But that creative aspect only became visible after many years in the background.

When Brian slowly started to withdraw from his role as leader of the band, the other members had to fill the gap. To everyone's surprise it was Dennis who delivered the goods, often in collaboration with others: first with a little help from Brian, then with Steve Kalanich and Gregg Jakobson.

This started around 1968 and evolved over the next years.
According to engineer Stephen W. Desper (whose book Recording The Beach Boys is highly recommended), Dennis worked on his song in the morning studio sessions before the group came in to work on their stuff.

(The quotes from Mr. Desper are not from his book, but gathered from various posts, often months or even years apart, on various BB forums.)

Stephen Desper: "Although Dennis has a reputation for banging more than his drums while on the road, he was a musical natural in the studio. If he did not know how to play an instrument, and he wanted to use it on a track, he would learn enough of the playing technique to record and then continue to learn. Too bad he was treated as the black sheep of the family -- but it forced him into more solo situations."

"He recorded in the morning and the rest of the gang came in during the afternoon hours. Depending on what was happening, he either stayed or went to surf or whatever.
I'd say about half his time was spent by himself in the studio (with this engineer). As an independent he recorded lots of song starts, but only stayed with them a few days -- short attention span.”

"As far as the group was concerned, it was Dennis fooling around in the studio every morning on his stuff -- until Warner called with a deadline."

When Warners rejected the proposed track list for Sunflower, the Beach Boys turned to Dennis, because they knew he had a lot of song that were almost finished.
"Then all of a sudden Dennis' tape productions were given a listen, and deemed quite good" continues Desper, "Good enough to be finished by the group. It was not until the pressure was on that Dennis was even considered a producer. Up until then, he had been doing all the vocal parts himself, but now under the Warner clock, the entire group got involved with his productions, taking them over and finishing what Dennis could not."
That help sometime came from Brian, but mostly it was Carl who took it on him to finish the song.
"Dennis did not object…. It was his artistic temperament that Dennis had trouble controlling. He had gotten use to working by himself on his material. Not rejected, but forgotten by the other guys, all of a sudden Dennis was a means to getting the job done. Dennis wanted acceptance, but not at the price of being overridden on artistic decisions. Dennis had become a good producer without the group, but when THEY needed him, he found acceptance. By the time that happened, Dennis had his own confidence -- the group was just a side-bar issue to him."

Sunflower included four songs written by Dennis, including 'Forever'. The track, considered by many to be his first masterpiece, earned him some much sought praise from brother Brian and father Murry. This gave him enough confidence to try it on his own.

On December 4, 1970, Dennis Wilson was the first of the original Beach Boys to release solo material. To test the waters for a solo album, a single 'Sound Of Free' b/w 'Lady' was released outside the US, under the moniker of Dennis Wilson & Rumbo.

Both songs were recorded in the Add Some Music era. 'Lady' was started on December 26, 1969 and finished exactly a month later. In this period Dennis started working with Beach Boys session keyboardist Darryl "Rumbo" Dragon. Darryl would later gain some fame on his own as the Captain in Captain and Tenneille.

The gentle ballad with simple Maestro drum machine and lush strings was presumably inspired by his new love Barbara Cherren and certainly influenced by Ennio Morricone.
The song was later covered by Spring as 'Fallin' In Love' - changing the word "lady" to "baby" for gender purposes. This version was released on their 1972 United Artists debut American Spring and also as the b-side to their single 'Shyin' Away.'

Here's a clip Dennis performing 'Lady' with the Beach Boys, probably filmed on March 1, 1971 for the David Frost TV-show in Philadelphia PA: http://nl.youtube.com/profile_video_...7640F594DE6CC2

According to Alan Boyd, the 16 track master for 'Lady' is on one of the two Sunflower master reels, which shows that it would blend perfectly with the BB sound.

There's a rumour that Dennis would have recorded a new version of 'Lady' in 1976 as 'Flowers Come in the Spring', but that version remains unreleased (if it exists).

That could not be said for the a-side: 'Sound Of Free' is a blast of rock that would stick out on any Beach Boys album of this era. It is however, co-written with cousin Mike Love and there are rumours of vocal contributions from Brian and Carl.

Despite some limited success in the UK, the single attained the status of 'collectors item'. The only re-release of these tracks is on the Rarities album, where the original mono mixes are featured. Both songs have appeared on various bootlegs over the years, but mostly in stereo mixes.

In the Summer of 1971, at the final stages of finishing Surf's Up a conflict arouse around the sequencing of the songs. Dennis wanted to finish the album with his song 'Wouldn't It be Nice To Live Again', but Carl objected.

Enraged, Dennis withdrew the song and his other offerings for the album (‘4th of July’ and possibly ‘Fallin' In Love’) too. According to Andrew G. Doe (author of the excellent The Complete Guide to the Music of the Beach Boys), one of the few people who actually heard it, "The original BB version of "Wouldn't It be Nice To Live Again" is easily one of the best three unreleased BB tracks I've ever heard - it is just staggeringly magnificent. You wouldn't believe Dennis could sing so sweetly, and the background vocals... awesome. Not having this on Surf's Up was a major, major loss."

But according to Stephen Desper it was not only about the sequencing. There were other matters were involved. "Dennis was going through a lot of depression and anxiety in his personal life at this time. That, along with the commercial response to Sunflower where he did have songs, made him very moody about putting more of his work on the next album.
Dennis also had issues with Mike. There was much behind-the-scenes bickering and quibbling at that time which I was not privileged to, but Dennis was unhappy more than he was happy. His drink induced mood swings became more extreme as time went along as his participation in sessions became less."

Around the same time, Dennis had an accident with that prevented him from drumming for several years. Apparently he cut some nerves and muscles in his hand while hitting through a plate glass door.

That doesn't prevent Dennis (or give him a good excuse) to start working in earnest on a solo album, in collaboration with Darryl Dragon and engineer Steve Desper. The sessions take place in Brian's home studio, which give him the opportunity to work whenever he feels like doing so.

Among the songs recorded for this album, which Dennis - evidently none too seriously - claimed to be titled ed Poops or maybe Hubba Hubba, are 'Baby Baby', 'Sea Cruise', 'Behold the Night', 'Ecology', 'Old Movie' and 'Barbara'.

'It's A New Day', like 'Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again', a collaboration with Stanley Shapiro, started as a a commercial for Dry Command anti-perspirant, but was later finished with a Blondie Chaplin lead and considered for release on a Beach Boys album.
Another song, 'Baby Baby', described by Alan Boyd as "an eccentric old-fashioned little rocker on which Dennis seems to be doing his best to sound like Leon Redbone... " was once played by the band during their 1972 fall tour.
The intro of 'Ecology' later grew into 'All Of My Love'. Alan Boyd again: "After that intro, there are two unfinished segments, one of which incorporates the piano riff that later was the foundation for "River Song." As a matter of fact, on the second segment of "Ecology," the only vocals consist if Dennis repeating "Run Run, river run..."

Of special interest is a assemblage of several segments made by Dennis and Daryl, that is pressed onto an acetate. Bootleggers later gave it the name of 'Quad Symphony' because there are "three movements":
- a duet piano sonata and accompanying organ duet, both performed by Dennis and Darryl;
- the 'All of My Love' vocal choral
- a lush piano piece with delayed electric guitar lines and drums.
Of course this piece was never meant to be released in this form.

Stephen W. Desper explained it's origin in February 2003: "All of those recordings are my property and I have the April 1971, 30 ips, 1/2 inch 4 track masters in my collection. Back then, I was asked by the Audio Engineering Society (AES) to give a paper and presentation to the Hollywood section on Quadraphonic recording technique for my fellow engineers. I asked Dennis Wilson and Daryl Dragon to help me in the production of the sound portion of the demo. I recorded Dennis and Daryl playing a piano duet, miked four different ways. I recorded Dennis doing a drum solo. It was than that I recorded 'Barbara' and mixed it to two different formats in Quad.
In the talk I demonstrated eight different miking techniques and recording styles and various echo chamber imaging techniques using Barbara. In one segment, Dennis overdubbed his voice more than 350 times to make the sound of a large choir ("Steve, the big speakers are on." -- refers to the studio speakers used by Brian to hear the mixes in mono and for playbacks in the studio.)
The AES talk lasted about forty minutes and was well accepted. Although the Beach Boys, under my direction, never recorded using the Quadraphonic discipline but rather a Surround discipline, the AES figured it would ask me to present the ideas since I was one of a few engineers exploring these new multi-channel techniques of production back in 1971"

Among the unfinished songs are a couple of love songs to Barbara: one is called 'I've Got A Friend'. That track is never bootlegged, but it seems to exists on tape as an unfinished backing track - no vocals. Another is the beautiful April 1971 demo for 'Barbara' was released in 1998 on Endless Harmony. It is presented as a piano duet between Dennis and Daryl, but it was meant to receive a string arrangement.

Dennis was very interested in string arrangements in that period, but had to find a balance, as shown on 'Make It Good' which is practically drown in it.

Stephen Desper once more: "Brian was the master, and Carl was not far behind -- if not equal.
Dennis was more conventional, serendipity at times, certainly planning as he went along and as events presented themselves, such as string sessions.
Sometimes Carl would book (minimum booking is three hours) a string or horn date for the songs he was working on, and if he finished early, Dennis would use the remaining time to add strings or horns to his songs, even if he had no plans to -- thinking up the arrangements on the spot, with the conductors help."

Although Desper later claimed that "90% of it [was] 90% done", many of these songs for the Dennis Wilson - Daryl Dragon album were still unfinished, when in early 1972, Dennis effectively sealed the fate of the album by submitting two of the songs to The Beach Boys. The epic and monumental tearjerker 'Cuddle Up' and the aforementioned 'Make It Good'. Both appeared on Carl And The Passions - So Tough - and clearly showed their origins as solo recordings unrelated to the rest of the group's material.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2007, 07:59:40 AM »

"This version was released on their 1972 United Artists debut American Spring and also as the b-side to their single 'Shyin' Away.'"

Nope - it was the B side of the 1973 Columbia 45 sure enough, but wasn't on the UA album, largely because it wasn't recorded until after the album was released. Interesting point - the Spring version uses the original instrumental track as a foundation.

"The only re-release of these [Rumbo] tracks is on the Rarities album, where the original mono mixes are featured. "

That would be the swiftly withdrawn Australian Rarities album, not the American Capitol release.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2007, 09:43:08 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2007, 08:14:31 AM »

Here's a clip Dennis performing 'Lady' with the Beach Boys, probably filmed on March 1, 1971 for the David Frost TV-show in Philadelphia PA: http://nl.youtube.com/profile_video_...7640F594DE6CC2

Shocked
The link is not working. Anyone could re-upload this? I've never seen this video

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2007, 08:21:20 AM »

Shocked
The link is not working. Anyone could re-upload this? I've never seen this video

Yeah I was hoping this would work too, I never even knew that footage of this was out there
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2007, 09:31:21 AM »

Shocked

Yeah I was hoping this would work too, I never even knew that footage of this was out there

This must be a hoax because that footage has never surfaced, only stills from the appearance exist to my knowledge. If this person has access to that footage I will be utterly astounded. Show me dude.
JS
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2007, 09:36:10 AM »

BTW there is some DW footage over the track of "Lady" on You Tube but that footage is unrelated to the song...it was lifted from the Vic Kettle Dec. '68 tour film. The '71 TV footage of DW singing Lady has never been seen since it aired.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2007, 10:20:49 AM »

""The only re-release of these [Rumbo] tracks is on the Rarities album, where the original mono mixes are featured. ""

Isn't the Dennis/Rumbo Lady featured on Super Furry Animals' Under the Influence compilation CD?
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2007, 05:04:49 PM »

I wonder what would have happened to the Beach Boys if Slip on Through or Forever had been a hit single.  Dennis was the obvious choice as a frontman for the group, being the most popular with the fans, and with his newly unfolding compositional and production talents, I really think he would have poised to take over Brian's lead role in the group.  But his songs all stiffed on singles, so he continued to be the "uncommercial" and "erratic" Dennis, and Brian gave the leadership and production role to Carl.  Still, around this time Dennis was featured singing Never Learn Not to Love and Fallin' in Love (that was the title announced on tv, not Lady) on television, as if he was being promoted as a lead , if not the lead, singer in the group.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2007, 07:26:30 PM »

I wonder what would have happened to the Beach Boys if Slip on Through or Forever had been a hit single.  Dennis was the obvious choice as a frontman for the group, being the most popular with the fans, and with his newly unfolding compositional and production talents, I really think he would have poised to take over Brian's lead role in the group.  But his songs all stiffed on singles, so he continued to be the "uncommercial" and "erratic" Dennis, and Brian gave the leadership and production role to Carl.  Still, around this time Dennis was featured singing Never Learn Not to Love and Fallin' in Love (that was the title announced on tv, not Lady) on television, as if he was being promoted as a lead , if not the lead, singer in the group.

During that performance on David Frost the BB's did three songs...Forever, Fallin In Love(Lady), Vegetables. Seems Dennis was the focal point and creative leader even if it only lasted for a minute.
MBE
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2007, 11:14:58 PM »

I do hope it shows up one day.
49ersphil
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2007, 10:04:12 AM »

I do hope it shows up one day.

All things must surface.
It will one day.

Close your eyes and lean back and listen to wind chimes
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2007, 09:37:25 AM »

Don't hold your breath. Although, it might surface before the guy who started this thread does. Hoax.
JS
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2007, 06:33:47 PM »

By the by, I'm an idea guy and I have one for David Marks.  I find his musical style/voice and vibe having alot in common with Dennis's music.
What about a album by David covering DW songs?

Congrats on the book, by the way!  Great read (as was the DW book)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 01:45:06 AM by Oregon River Rider » Logged

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
peerke
Smiley Smile Associate

Pom-pi-dom-pi-dom

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2007, 11:13:36 PM »

Part 2: Pacific Ocean Blue

When the Beach Boys recruited the rhythm section of the South African band The Flame, Dennis was happy to work with these new members. He was the first to use drummer Ricky Fataar and bass player Blondie Chaplin on studio sessions for his song 'Carry Me Home'. It was offered for Holland, but then Dennis got second thoughts. He found this Vietnam-themed ballad too depressing for a Beach Boys record and withdrew the offer. The emotional song remains unreleased.

During the Beach Boys' three year recording hiatus following that album, Dennis kept writing and occasionally recording.

There's a rumor that he had a hand in Joe Cocker's big hit 'You Are So Beautiful', especially since he sometimes sang it during concerts. Billy Hinsche confirms that Dennis was there when the song was being written and that he helped Billy Preston write it.

In Spring 1974 the engineers Steve Moffitt and Gordon Rudd built a new Brothers Studio in Santa Monica with the latest 16- and 24-tracks equipment.
According to some stories, Dennis was enthusiastic to try out the new surroundings. Among the titles that are credited to him in this period are 'Our Love Remains', 'Grateful Are We For Little', Children', 'Marble Sittin' at the Kitchen Table', 'Don't Want Much, Just a Country or Two, Maybe a Planet', 'Before It’s Through', 'Helen Keller' and 'Holy Man (and Slow Booze)'. Not much is known about these songs except that they are all co-written with Steve Kalinich.

But then again, these sessions may never really have taken place. According to Steve Desper, 'Grateful Are We For Little' was something that he had worked on with Brian back in the late 60s or early 70s. When he sang it to Alan Boyd, he instantly recognized the melody as what eventually became 'Saturday Morning In The City'.

Alan Boyd also stated that "'Holy Man (and Slow Booze)' seems to be a mis-translation of sorts. There's a tape labeled 'Holy Man' and 'Slow Blues'. Two separate tunes on the same tape."

In autumn of 1974, Dennis returned to the band as a drummer and, after Ricky resigned, his friend James William Guercio joined to play the bass. Guercio was also the owner of Caribou Records and soon The Beach Boys tried to record a come back album in his Caribou Ranch studio in Colorado.

When that didn't work out, the sessions continued throughout the Summer of 1975 in the Brothers Studio, in Santa Monica. Dennis collaborated there with members of the band: 'River Song', which he already brought live a few times in 1973-74, was finished by brother Carl, while Mike Love wrote the lyrics for 'Pacific Ocean Blues', after Dennis showed him the melody over the phone.
Mike also contributed lyrics to '10,000 Years'. That song was never finished as Dennis kept working on it during the next seven years. He and Mike couldn't agree which direction the song should go. At one time Al mentioned he wanted to record it for his projected solo-album. No vocals have ever surfaced.

'Miller Drive' is a wonderful yet unreleased duet with America's Gerry Beckley.

Carl also contributed to another song co-written with Steve Kalinich: 'Rainbows'. Dennis played drums and Moog bass synthesizer and Carl is audible in the backing vocals.

When finally is decided that 15 Big Ones will be released instead of one album of covers and an album with new compositions, Dennis is very unhappy. He refuses to let the band use any of his songs.

Knowing the internal friction in the band, Jim Guercio decided it was time to help his friend. He offered Dennis a two-album deal on Caribou Records with an $100,000 advance. But Guercio also knew what Dennis lacked: focus. He had a tendency to leave work unfinished. So there were some conditions. Dennis was granted complete artistic license but only if he agreed on a structured recording process. "We can go anywhere you want,' Guercio told him, 'but only if you work on one track at a time."
Dennis longtime friend and drinking buddy Gregg Jakobson was brought in to produce the sessions, but also as collaborator and anchor.

Under the working title of Freckles, the sessions started in September 1976 and ran through to spring of the following year.

"It's a homemade kind of album," confirms Gregg Jakobson, "without a lot of studio players. Dennis created it as he's gone along, track by track. It was really built in the studio... That's pretty unique.... It's one of the things you don't do. ... Dennis comes into the studio in the morning and stays until he's tired. I think it's innovative in the way it's produced and evolved.”

With total freedom, Dennis did precisely what big brother Brian had been doing for years; using the studio as a diary or notebook.

"Dennis really felt he could do whatever he wanted," continues Jakobson, "If he had an idea, he had the room in that studio, and the time and the engineers and the inclination and the support just to really fool around until it was the way he really wanted. It was really nice. The clock was never running. It was never a concern."

In the studio, Dennis concentrated on playing the keyboards, leaving most of the drumming to Beach Boys touring band member Bobby Figueroa, Ricky Fataar and the legendary Hal Blaine.

Over the years his voice was reduced to almost a single octave. Some claim from the deteriorating was the result of an injury sustained in a 1974 fight, others contribute it to alcohol and substance abuse. Whatever, it remained intimate and expressive - like someone whispering in your ear.

Among the backing vocalists were an uncredited Carl Wilson, plus Curt Boetcher, Billy Hinsche, Bruce Johnston and new wife Karen Lamm.

Recently divorced from Barbara, Dennis had met Karen Lamm in Autumn 1975. Although only 23, the actress born as Barbara Karen Perk, was the ex-wife of Chicago's keyboardist Robert Lamm. Dennis and Karen married on May 21, 1976 in Kauai, Hawaii. They co-wrote two songs: 'Time' and 'You And I'.
However during the recording of the album, the marriage collapsed and the were divorced just after the release.

Of course the curve of this love affair was reflected in many of the songs.

Guitar chores were handled by Ed Tuleja and Eddie Carter, the latter doubling on bass with the great Jamie Jamerson and Chuck Domanico. The horn section was Bill Lamb, Michael Andreas, Lance Buller, Janice Hubbard & Charlie McCarthy.

The recordings were engineered by Earle Mankey and John Hanlon. "I just thought he was really avant-garde - he was an amazing artist,' says Hanlon, 'He wasn't afraid to experiment, to fall into space. He was very out there. He wasn't afraid of being different."

Dennis Wilson's first and only solo album Pacific Ocean Blue (Caribou) was released on September 16, 1977 as the first result of the Beach Boys contract with CBS.

side 1
1. River Song
2. What's Wrong
3. Moonshine
4. Friday Night
5. Dreamer
6. Thoughts of You

side 2
1. Time
2. You and I
3. Pacific Ocean Blues
4. Farewell My Friend
5. Rainbows
6. End of the Show

Pacific Ocean Blue is very different and far rockier than any Beach Boys release.

The almost title track, the strangely funky 'Pacific Ocean Blues' with some of Mike's finest ecologically-minded lyrics started out as a BB song for 15 Big Ones, but in the released mix, the band's contributions are buried in the mix, to highlight other accents.

The other funky song is 'Dreamer'. It's driven by a repetitive bass harmonica line, played by Dennis, as most of the instruments on this track "about Christ".

Another rocker didn't make the final track list: the lyrics of 'School Girl' probably weren't pleasing Karen too much!

But most of the other songs are slow paced. A lot of them a laments of the loss of his love: Karen, with whom he was breaking up during the latter part of the recordings.

The centerpiece of the album are a couple of song about the breaking up of his marriage to Karen. 'Thoughts Of You' is one of Dennis' most heartbreaking songs, with beautiful delicate piano lines supported by string (slowed down to half-speed) much subtler than on the earlier 'Cuddle Up.'

Another beautiful piano dominated song is 'Time'. "That's about coming home after a tour and floating into L.A. on a 747. Thinking about her....just a spontaneous thing."

The album closes with a last break-up song 'End of the Show', which can also be seen as a humble message for his fans: 'Thank you very much for everything I've ever dreamed of...'

The atmospheric album charted in the Billboard Hot 100 at a respectable #96.
It went on to sell over 100,000 copies, thus outselling the next couple of Beach Boys albums. This scared the living daylights out of some band members, but Brian reportedly loved the album. In the outside world however, the album failed to earn Dennis the widespread respect he deserved.

Perhaps Dennis was partly to blame too, as he didn't exactly support the album. "To me, this album is lightweight," he declared in September 1977. "It has no substance. The next album is a hundred times what Pacific Ocean Blue is. It kicks. It's different in a way. I think I have more confidence now that I've completed one project, and I'm moving on to another... "

A small tour was planned, but although some rehearsals took place with the BB touring band, and venues were booked, it never materialized. At that time the Beach Boys were close to a split and apparently going out on tour solo was considered not-done.
Dennis was allowed to sing some Pacific Ocean Blue tracks at a few 1977 Beach Boys shows, but that was about it.

In October 1977 'You And I' b/w 'Friday Night' was released as a single in the US.
The b-side is a spontaneous song, as Dennis explained at the time: "It's a memory of when I was young and Friday night came. The white punks were out having fun. I am the white punk!"
The gentle samba-tinged ballad on the a-side was co-written with Greg and Karen. Dennis confirmed that it is about her too, although they were already separated when the single was released.
It indeed is the sweetest sounding song of the album and fitted well between The Eagles and Jackson Browne on the radio. It should have been a big hit, yet it somehow never caught on.

In Europe however, 'River Song' b/w 'Farewell My Friend' was chosen as the single.
'River Song' had been knocking around for years. The opening piano riff dates goes back to the early Seventies.
Dennis explained the origin of the song to David Leaf: "A few years ago, I was in the High Sierras walking by this river, that was very small and it kept getting bigger and bigger....that's the guitar sound on the track. And then thinking, Los Angeles vs. the High Sierras, it just makes me sick to think of what's happening here. That's the lyrical idea; Carl assisted on some of the lyrics. Musically, it came from the river."
While you can hear Carl in the massive choir in the intro and Alexander Hamilton's Double Rock Baptist choir was brought in for this song, Dennis stated that "Ninety per cent of those voices are mine."
An immaculate production, an ecological theme, gospel overtones... it should have been a big hit. It wasn't.

A rough mix, taped on to a cassette and dating back to 1973 or 1974 can be found on many bootlegs and this song was chosen to represent Dennis on the Ten Years Of harmony compilation.

For the b-side the sole composition penned by Dennis himself is chosen: 'Farewell My Friend'. It's one of the greatest songs of lost ever. Dennis wrote it as a eulogy for Otto "Pops" Hinsche, father of Carl Wilson's former brother-in-law and Beach Boy session musician Billy Hinsche.
Dennis Wilson: "My best friend died in my arms, and I came to the studio. I knew that he loved the Hawaiian Islands [hence the singing whales in the intro]; the song just happened, sort of a happy farewell. It's written for Otto Hinsche. I carry a picture of him everywhere. When my father died, Pops saved my life in a way."

Allegedly when the Beach Boys first came together to discuss and mourn Dennis' death, they put on this song.

Both singles failed to chart. But finally that was not what Dennis was after. "Dennis wasn't looking for a hit," says Carli Muñoz, "Dennis was going for the emotional - what worked for him, what had emotional strength and basically what sounded good."

The album was re-issued on cd in 1991 by Epic, as part of the re-issue programme of the Caribou/Epic Beach Boys albums. But it went out of sale soon and that added to the album's reputation as a lost classic, with copies fetching over $100 a piece on internet auction sites. (I should add that I bought my cd some five years ago at a fair for less then $2!)

In an interview in 2001, to promote his book Dumb Angel: The Life and Music of Dennis Wilson, author Adam Webb explains why the album is no longer available: "The legalities of putting the album out have always been a problem in the past. POB was originally released on Caribou - a subsidiary of CBS that was owned by James Guercio of the band Chicago.
The Beach Boys left CBS in 1979 (I think, off the top of my head) and Caribou would have ceased to exist too. So there's problems there as to who owns the masters. Is it James Guercio or is it CBS? Or is it Warner Bros - as the Beach Boys were signed to them when work on POB began in 1974/75.
Also, Dennis recorded a lot of material. He also recorded over a lot of material - that was his perfectionist/short attention-spanned style. The tapes are not in one location and they were not well documented.
Throw into that the complexities of Dennis' estate (married 5 times, twice to the same woman), the nature of his death, and the friction in The Beach Boys and it's a very complicated situation.
The bottom line seems now to be that James Guercio does own the masters, or some masters at least, and seems to be into the idea of putting them out. That's unconfirmed - but what seems to be rumored."

These days Pacific Ocean Blue is considered by many to be the finest Beach Boy solo project and a re-issue or, better even, some kind of box set would be more then welcome, as such a strong body of work deserves wider recognition.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2007, 01:23:03 AM »

This is a bit of a gray area, but I think Brother was opened summer 1973.

"With total freedom, Dennis did precisely what big brother Brian had been doing for years; using the studio as a diary or notebook."

Good line - I thought so when i wrote it for the updated ComGuide in 2004.  Roll Eyes [sorry, cheap shot...]

"The Beach Boys left CBS in 1979 (I think, off the top of my head)"

About 1986, I think, after the self-titled album - word is they they were 'let go'. JWG definitely owns the rights to the masters: this was settled maybe two, three years ago.

Excellent articles, articles rather. Would make great liners when the DW box set comes to pass.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 01:31:54 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2007, 03:28:10 AM »

Excellent articles, articles rather. Would make great liners when the DW box set comes to pass.

It's a pity none of us will actually be alive by the time it comes out...

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2007, 04:54:11 AM »

I fully intend to live forever, or die in the attempt.

mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2007, 05:01:36 AM »

In all seriousness Andrew, do you think a DW box set will eventually come out? Or at worst (which is still good) a re-issue of POB... I mean is there any talk that you (or indeed anyone) know of that they are going to re-issue POB soon? I am lucky enough to own it on vinyl but I would kill (not literally) to have it on CD, in fact Id probably buy 3 or 4 copies for backup in case it goes out of print again!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2007, 05:40:59 AM »

In all seriousness Andrew, do you think a DW box set will eventually come out? Or at worst (which is still good) a re-issue of POB... I mean is there any talk that you (or indeed anyone) know of that they are going to re-issue POB soon? I am lucky enough to own it on vinyl but I would kill (not literally) to have it on CD, in fact Id probably buy 3 or 4 copies for backup in case it goes out of print again!

I'd say a POB reissue is far more likely than a DW box, and I don't see it happening soon. JWG isn't much enamoured of the music biz right now.

Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2007, 05:59:15 AM »

anyone heard the dennis song "our love" ? POB outtake maybe? not to be mixed up with "all of my love"

mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2007, 06:46:53 AM »

I'd say a POB reissue is far more likely than a DW box, and I don't see it happening soon. JWG isn't much enamoured of the music biz right now.

That's sad to hear, I really hope JWG decides to atleast sell the rights to it then if he isn't planning to release it any time soon. And even though a DW box set is unlikely that would be a mouth-watering prospect. I'm gonna keep dreaming and hoping for a DW box set. That along with the SMiLE box set (which is top of the list) I think are the two most enticing things for me, I would buy them both in an instant, though I spose any new BB/BB Solo material I would buy in an instant. What about the likelihood of a Carl Wilson re-release for his two albums or a LBWL re-release? (I would still buy it despite it being pretty bad). And in regards to the Bruce Johnston re-releases, are they Japan-only releases? Because I saw Going Public on CD in a record store in Sydney and it was a Japanese release. I mean is that the only "legal" means of hearing the album on CD?
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2007, 08:46:02 AM »

On Luxuriamusic, they stated that POB would be re-released on CD by Sony in 2008... With bonus tracks.  3D
« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 08:47:55 AM by SloopJohnB » Logged

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2007, 09:31:48 AM »

Regarding a POB/DW reissue or new release...stuff is happening.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2007, 09:33:18 AM »

I love stuff.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2007, 09:40:57 AM »

So...Peerke...what about the video clip of "Lady"??
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx