gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681017 Posts in 27627 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 15, 2024, 05:55:25 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Time for Today?  (Read 3256 times)
kshane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 24, 2007, 10:15:49 AM »

I'm pretty sure that Brian started this current craze of recreating classic albums in a live setting. A lot of bands seem to be doing it, and XM Radio even has a whole show the features bands recreating their classic albums.

To my knowledge, Brian has performed 7 of the 11 songs on Beach Boys Today in concert. I'm sure someone else can add to that total. So my question is, is it time for Brian to consider performing that whole beautiful album in its entirety? Obviously he won't be able to do Bull Session with Big Daddy, but they certainly could play the audio of it at the beginning of the set.  I think that would be pretty cool.

Any thoughts?
carl r
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 01:19:14 PM »

I love the album, but there are some issues though with touring it, obviously because Brian's voice is different now. Most importantly, I believe that Brian Wilson, son of Murry, has never been a charity (however genuine and nice he is). Today! hasn't got the popular kudos of Pet Sounds, so would it generate the interest to sell the tickets? 

Today's not generally as orchestral or sparse as Pet Sounds. I get the feeling having a big band with big sounds has been liberating for all concerned and allows the pace in the current set to vary considerably. So it's a bit of a tricky one, but I would hazard a guess the current setlist is as Today! as we're going to get?
Mark H.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2007, 07:58:08 PM »

It's time to tour Wild Honey!
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007, 08:15:18 PM »

Quote from: Mark H.
It's time to tour Wild Honey!

Amen to that!! I'd go see a *Today!* show too. Trouble is, Brian's been scarce in these parts (the Southeastern U.S.) for years. The only Beach Boy I've seen so far this year is Ricky Fataar.

bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2007, 09:32:49 PM »

Brian should tour some two-fers...

Today/Summer Days

and

Wild Honey/Friends
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2007, 09:47:16 PM »

I'd like to see Brian and his band do the Adult Child album.  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
XY
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2007, 10:00:55 PM »

I think now with 'That Lucky Old Sun' Brian should put that retro-touring to rest. He looks back on his life with lucky old sun, but it's more or less new music. That's the way to go. Today is yesterday. Brian doesn't need the Beach Boys? Show it!
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2007, 12:13:49 AM »

Wild Honey/Friends

Was Wild Honey ever twofered with Friends? The ones I'm familiar with are Smiley Smile/Wild Honey and Friends/20/20

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2007, 01:03:38 AM »

Wild Honey/Friends

Was Wild Honey ever twofered with Friends? The ones I'm familiar with are Smiley Smile/Wild Honey and Friends/20/20

I think there was a 70-ies reissue on vinyl from Warner that paired Wild Honey with Friends.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2007, 03:01:11 AM »

I think now with 'That Lucky Old Sun' Brian should put that retro-touring to rest. He looks back on his life with lucky old sun, but it's more or less new music. That's the way to go. Today is yesterday. Brian doesn't need the Beach Boys? Show it!

I agree. Although I would love to hear a liveversion of "Today!" or "Wld honey" (my fav BBs-album) I'd rather have Brian creating new music and tour with that stuff. Even if it isn't a new songcycle but just a few songs. But I also think he should dig a little deeper into the rarities-songs again. "This song wants to sleep with you" would be a great concert-closer and there still are some rare BBs-songs that would probably sound cool in a live setting.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2007, 05:15:03 AM »

Wild Honey/Friends

I think there was a 70-ies reissue on vinyl from Warner that paired Wild Honey with Friends.

Actually, the Warner's vinyl reissues in the 70s were combined as "Smiley Smile"/"Friends" and "Wild Honey"/"20/20", making the first set more low-key and psychedelic and the second set more rock and roll.
al
Smiley Smile Associate

Home again Home again jiggety jig...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2007, 05:23:47 AM »

Wild Honey and Friends were a two disc set in the UK (vinyl) issued in the mid 70's and I still have my copy, so I sort of associate those two together more than Smiley Smile and Wild Honey.

ANd yes, I would love Brian to do 'Today' straight through, but I was pretty pleased with the set he was doing at the RFH with a good chunk of tha album, and I've seen him do Kiss Me Baby and Please Let Me Wonder as well.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2007, 05:29:08 AM »

I love the album, but there are some issues though with touring it, obviously because Brian's voice is different now. Most importantly, I believe that Brian Wilson, son of Murry, has never been a charity (however genuine and nice he is). Today! hasn't got the popular kudos of Pet Sounds, so would it generate the interest to sell the tickets? 

Today's not generally as orchestral or sparse as Pet Sounds. I get the feeling having a big band with big sounds has been liberating for all concerned and allows the pace in the current set to vary considerably. So it's a bit of a tricky one, but I would hazard a guess the current setlist is as Today! as we're going to get?

i disagree, i belive todays!! status is growing more and more every year, but that's just me

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
chris.metcalfe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2007, 05:38:58 AM »

Actually it seemed like quite a lot of 'Today' was featured, er, yesterday, though someone else will have to tell you which tunes exactly. A large segment of this year's show is given over to that period, anyway.
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2007, 06:49:32 AM »

I'd rather not hear a Beach Boys 'Today' show, I've heard nearly the whole thing live before anyway. I'd much rather hear a whole show of rarities and new songs, something a bit revelatory.

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
kshane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2007, 08:22:36 AM »

I'd rather not hear a Beach Boys 'Today' show, I've heard nearly the whole thing live before anyway. I'd much rather hear a whole show of rarities and new songs, something a bit revelatory.

I understand that, and I share your feeling. The problem is that there are not enough of "us". By that I mean, Brian can't fill concert halls with people who want to hear new songs and rarities. He's always going to have to include a large portion of hits to satisfy the more casual fans, who are probably the majority of the ticket buyers. That is unless he decides to play smaller venues, which of course would be great, but I doubt that's in the offing.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2007, 08:32:54 AM »

I don't get why a casual fan would ever go for Brian as opposed to Mike & Bruce.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2007, 09:00:09 AM »

I just remembered that Brian performed "Good To My Baby" in 2004/05, so he's now done 8 of the 11 TODAY songs. There's no way that performing the TODAY album in its entirety is going to bring in a general audience anymore than the show he's doing now. Performing a sizable chunk of new material, obscure older tracks and the BB hits is about the best that anyone should expect.
XY
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2007, 10:54:08 AM »

I agree. Although I would love to hear a liveversion of "Today!" or "Wld honey" (my fav BBs-album) I'd rather have Brian creating new music and tour with that stuff.

'Today!' would be a great live album for a Beach Boys reunion (incl. "Guess I'm Dumb" & Campbell). But now that Brian & his band (it's time for a name) showed that they're able to create a great new album, there's no way back, sorry.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx