gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:50:11 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 19 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Last known pictures of Dennis and Carl  (Read 153793 times)
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2007, 01:12:53 AM »

There used to be a lot of 1995-1996 concert videos of the beach boys on YouTube. Carl didn't really look good in any of them.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Beach Boy
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got tears in the morning

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2007, 02:49:34 AM »

Quote from: pixletwin
When were the interviews for the EH DVD conducted?  I thought he looked pretty bad in those.

Not the same times as the others... Alan knows for sure, but I think it was the previous year.

November 6, 1996 to be exact.

edit: June 11, 1996

6/11/96 - sometimes I should use my brain  Roll Eyes

This is the date for the Nashville interviews I guess, but what about the footage where Carl is saying stories from 1961 'til 1966?

Late at night
When the whole world's sleeping
I dream of you
Close to you I feel your sweet heart beating
I dream of you
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2007, 10:22:47 AM »

I am sure the cancer had started by 1995-96.

Ahh...I've always wondered if Carl was already sick when he & Brian had that falling out that ended the brief reunion. It's always seemed odd to me that it was Carl who didn't want to work with Brian, rather than Mike.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2007, 10:25:42 AM »

I am sure the cancer had started by 1995-96.

Ahh...I've always wondered if Carl was already sick when he & Brian had that falling out that ended the brief reunion. It's always seemed odd to me that it was Carl who didn't want to work with Brian, rather than Mike.

Well, Mike always said that he wanted to work with Brian. He does so to this day. On the other hand we don't know if it was a "don't wanna work with him"-thing or more dissatisfaction ith the material....

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
XY
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2007, 10:47:40 AM »

This is the date for the Nashville interviews I guess, but what about the footage where Carl is saying stories from 1961 'til 1966?

That's right, the Nashville interviews.

Well, Mike always said that he wanted to work with Brian. He does so to this day. On the other hand we don't know if it was a "don't wanna work with him"-thing or more dissatisfaction ith the material....

Mike was always one of Brian's biggest supporters as long as he was the main cowriter.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2007, 10:51:34 AM »

Mike was always one of Brian's biggest supporters as long as he was the main cowriter.

Yes, but that's what "working together" means to Mike, and I can understand it. It was just that Jaymie's Dad seemed surprised that Mike wanted to work with Brian.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2007, 12:11:02 PM »

Nah, more surprised that Carl & Brian had a falling out,as it was supposedly always "The Wilsons vs the others" and Mike was always supposedly the bad guy.
Actually, I'd love it if Mike & Brian collaborated again).

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2007, 01:00:23 PM »

My impression was that Carl wasn't that bowled over by the Paley sessions songs. While you can debate the merits of some of the other stuff Carl sang on in the early 90s (SIP, for example), I don't know if he was entirely wrong.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2007, 04:48:30 PM »

It would suprise me if Carl enjoyed singing on Love/Melcher songs more then Wilson/Paley songs.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2007, 08:03:45 AM »

Soul Searchin' is better than anything on Summer in Paradise.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2007, 10:39:15 AM »

Quote from: Jaymie's Dad
Nah, more surprised that Carl & Brian had a falling out

Their estrangement was a seed that Landy planted and nurtured. It took them a long time to repair their relationship, even after he was out of the picture.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 10:45:02 AM by Emdeeh » Logged
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2007, 11:13:58 AM »

So when did that estrangement first occur? By 1976, 1983? I remember having read somewhere that Brian and Carl started not talking much too each other as early as 1973.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2007, 05:43:11 PM »

There is a video interviewing Brian around 1981. The one where Brian is sitting next to Carl and cracks Carl up. They seemed to be cool there.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2007, 07:11:50 PM »

I'm referring to Landy cutting contact off between Brian and Carl in the mid-'80s.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2007, 08:16:51 PM »

There is a "video" on YouTube of the song "I Wish For You" that is a bunch of pictures of Carl as the song plays. In several of the pictures, Carl's beard is totally white. Does anybody know when those pictures were taken?

MBE
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2007, 08:21:47 PM »

He was very grey from about 1990-93
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2007, 08:53:42 PM »

Did he start dyeing his hair? There are video's from 1995-1996 on YouTube where is beard is brown.

Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2007, 05:06:38 PM »

There is a "video" on YouTube of the song "I Wish For You" that is a bunch of pictures of Carl as the song plays. In several of the pictures, Carl's beard is totally white. Does anybody know when those pictures were taken?

That would have to be in 1993. After that, he started coloring it.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2007, 10:54:59 PM »

Can anybody post some more late period photos of Carl?

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2009, 12:27:45 AM »

I thought I would bump up this thread, since somebody recently was asking about this subject.

Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2009, 06:20:16 AM »

Slightly off topic, but I find these years to be the scariest Brian-years to me.  He looks nothing like Brian Wilson.  Ironic, since he looks healthy and normal...right?  But something's so very wrong.  I can't explain it.  What the hell was Landy prescribing him?

What ever he was on...it was set to "11."
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 06:32:10 AM by Bean Bag » Logged

shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2009, 06:41:09 AM »

But something's so very wrong.  I can't explain it.  What the hell was Landy prescribing him?

I'd say it's the eyes. On that second picture he's got that wild eyed look that people usually have when they're on speed or XTC (not saying that he was, of course).
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2009, 06:45:21 AM »

Presumably losing a lot of weight also had an effect - sometimes takes skin a while to catch up but Brian's looks taught.

But that taughtness also reminds me of how Ginger Spice Geri Halliwell  looked during one of her fitness bouts.

Whew, Brian and Geri in the same post!

“We live in divisive times.”
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2009, 07:34:21 AM »

I agree, it's both -- the intense eyes and the weight loss.  In a way, his eyes have had the hard look (since when, the early-mid 70s?) and haven't lost it.  He still has that "roaming hawk" (I just made that up!) look today.  Tight mouthed...eyes intense and fixed.  Looks freakin' angry and paranoid.  But in combination with the nearly emaciated look...it adds up to something new.

urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 20, 2009, 08:15:13 AM »

It's all of that and the face lift he had.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 19 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx