gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:46:50 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Last known pictures of Dennis and Carl  (Read 153819 times)
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #400 on: July 29, 2015, 01:30:48 PM »

This of course is far from being the last picture of Dennis and yet it has a strong connection to his end. The following was posted by Ed Roach on facebook (Dennis Wilson 1944-1983). Thanks for sharing this Ed! I felt strange when I saw it...

Funny how life gets in the way at times; had to neglect DW's page for a few days.
However, I had read people discussing the things Dennis was diving for 'that day'.... This is the image he pulled from the ocean floor, undamaged & tightly sealed in a sterling silver frame.
Was absolutely blown away years later when Karen told me that after that day it forever sat on her mantle. They both found such piece & contentment in the image; only hope they have truly found it now

So this is the photo that Denny brought up out of the water?  Wow.

In contemplating the events of that fateful, terrible early evening, I've always found the fact that Dennis brought a photo of he and a loved one back from the ocean floor such a touching gesture on his part.  Sad, but romantic.

I've often wondered what the photo looked like.  I guess I always pictured a kind of formal, Wedding Day-styled portrait, or something.

But this photo is so heartwarming, I can see why Denny wanted to preserve it.

I'm really glad that Mr. Roach shared it with us.

EDIT: About how long did the picture sit at the bottom of the marina, again?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 01:35:40 PM by R. Smith » Logged
DennysDrums83
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #401 on: July 29, 2015, 01:52:22 PM »

What happened to the photo of Carl from the Concord Pavilion that was posted earlier in this thread?  I've never seen it.
PhilSpectre
Smiley Smile Associate

May You Never Hear Surf Music ... Again

View Profile
« Reply #402 on: July 29, 2015, 02:01:56 PM »

« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 02:10:47 PM by PhilSpectre » Logged
PhilSpectre
Smiley Smile Associate

May You Never Hear Surf Music ... Again

View Profile
« Reply #403 on: July 29, 2015, 02:14:42 PM »

Maybe it's just me projecting hindsight, but in that 1983 shot with Bruce, DW's eyes look 'dead', lacking the spirit, humour and hope of the pic posted of him and Carl earlier in this thread. Dennis' eyes remind me of pics of Elvis in 1977, where you get the feeling he's given up and knows he's 'too far gone to turn around' re. the lifestyle/ drugs, almost resigned to the inevitable.
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #404 on: July 29, 2015, 05:27:08 PM »

Thanks, I'm glad to see you all appreciate the photo. 

It was probably at the bottom of the slip for a couple of years, at least.  Karen had it framed in this really expensive sterling silver frame, and I guess it must have been water tight, for it to have been preserved as it was for that long.

https://www.facebook.com/roachclips68
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #405 on: July 30, 2015, 01:15:10 AM »

Wait, that's the actual copy of the picture Dennis brought up that day?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #406 on: July 30, 2015, 05:25:25 AM »

This is a question for Ed Roach, or any other photographers out there...

Ed, I hope you don't take this question the wrong way; it's not intended that way. But, I wanted to ask you about something that has, for lack of a better word, bothered me ever since I read the reports about Dennis's last day alive in 1983. Since it involves a Beach Boy, in this case Dennis, I thought I'd finally ask. It's basically a two part question.

First, after throwing some items, including a framed picture, into the Pacific Ocean, is it reasonable that Dennis knew EXACTLY where to locate it - at the bottom of the ocean, years later? I mean, when items are thrown into an ocean, do they drop straight down and stay there, not being swept away by the undercurrent?

And second, no matter how well-made or expensive a picture frame may be, it is still a picture frame. And the actual picture is, well, made of paper. After sitting at the bottom of the Pacific Ocean for a few years, how is it possible that the paper picture can even survive, much less look in pristine condition?

Thanks, Ed, for all the great photos and reminiscences of Dennis you've given us.
harrisonjon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #407 on: July 30, 2015, 05:37:33 AM »

I'm referring to Landy cutting contact off between Brian and Carl in the mid-'80s.

The videos of Brian and Carl around Live Aid are very awkward. Is that because Landy is floating around or because Carl thinks Brian is going to say something totally spaced out?

On the Dennis last day issue, do the other people who were with Dennis that day bear any responsibility for not trying to stop him making those last dives?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 05:39:49 AM by harrisonjon » Logged
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #408 on: July 30, 2015, 05:50:13 AM »

First, after throwing some items, including a framed picture, into the Pacific Ocean, is it reasonable that Dennis knew EXACTLY where to locate it - at the bottom of the ocean, years later? I mean, when items are thrown into an ocean, do they drop straight down and stay there, not being swept away by the undercurrent?

And second, no matter how well-made or expensive a picture frame may be, it is still a picture frame. And the actual picture is, well, made of paper. After sitting at the bottom of the Pacific Ocean for a few years, how is it possible that the paper picture can even survive, much less look in pristine condition?

Not much undertow in a Marina, so items might not drift too far. And these items weren't dropped out at sea, they were basically thrown overboard from his parking spot. If you show up to work in your parking spot, in the same place for years, you'd be able to find it again.

Photographic film is sturdier than a sheet of plain A4. Also, if it's pressed up tight against the glass, then as long as the glass doesn't shatter, it could reasonably be watertight.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #409 on: July 30, 2015, 06:35:53 AM »

Wait, that's the actual copy of the picture Dennis brought up that day?

I stand to be corrected by the guy who took it, but I very much doubt that.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #410 on: July 23, 2016, 11:06:58 PM »

Just stumbled upon this one of Dennis taken in 1983:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=873386669434099&set=o.168908843320461&type=3&theater
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 12:17:33 AM by phirnis » Logged
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #411 on: July 23, 2016, 11:44:10 PM »

All I see is a box with an x in it.  Brow

phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #412 on: July 24, 2016, 12:18:50 AM »

All I see is a box with an x in it.  Brow

Fixed the link. Smiley
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #413 on: July 26, 2016, 11:40:14 AM »

I don't think I've ever seen that one before. Is it just me, or did Dennis always tilt his head to the side in all of the later pictures? Somewhere in this thread AGD mentioned that another picture recently surfaced that is a new candidate for the last picture ever taken of Dennis. I wish I had asked him about it while he was here.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #414 on: July 26, 2016, 11:43:38 AM »

One of the saddest BBs pictures ever... Sad

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #415 on: July 26, 2016, 12:40:09 PM »

Maybe I already said this in this thread a long time ago, but I'm always wary of reading too much into random candid photos.

Dennis was in bad shape in 1983 by most accounts; I don't think this latest photo really speak any more to that one way or the other. I've seen perfectly healthy young people look weird in photos simply because of how it was captured; eyes awkwardly closed, etc.

I don't know if it was in this thread or elsewhere where some purported 1983 photos were shown and elicited comments like "you can tell he didn't have long", etc., and then it turned out the photo was from like 1981 instead.

I've seen pics of Dennis in 1983 where he looked better than his worst moments in 1980, and so on.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #416 on: July 28, 2016, 02:34:12 AM »

One of the saddest BBs pictures ever... Sad

I could be wrong but he looks like he is mimicking Gage.

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #417 on: July 28, 2016, 07:52:48 PM »

Is that Shawn? she's cute. Dennis looks awful, though. Sad to see.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #418 on: July 28, 2016, 08:37:25 PM »

Is that Shawn? she's cute. Dennis looks awful, though. Sad to see.

During the time Dennis and Shawn were together, after they had Gage, I would think they would have all 3 made appearances at least at some BB shows. Did Mike just avoid/stonewall all three of them completely? I cannot imagine how excruciatingly awkward it would have been for a woman who stated she believed he (Mike) was his daughter, and she resembled Mike, but Mike wouldn't publicly accept paternity, to have this family unit (including Mike's probable grandchild) still making appearances and hanging out backstage at periphery of BBs shows.  

Was the divide so great in '82/'83 that Mike could just insulate himself from them by distance/proximity at shows, and pretend they were not his concern? Yet I have seen photos that someone posted on here of Shawn and Gage at a late '80s (1988 I think?) BB show backstage, where Mike is visible in the same photo as both of them. So I would think there was - at least at some point, past Denny's passing - some minor contact at minimum. Certainly a sensitive subject, and one I've never heard any information about. I've sadly witnessed similar excruciatingly awkward divides at my family, also between an estranged father and daughter, at family reunions/birthday parties, and you could cut the tension with a knife.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 08:42:07 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #419 on: July 28, 2016, 09:14:12 PM »

Given the talk about Shawn and Mike and Dennis, I thought I'd share this photo. It was from mid 1988 in San Diego.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 09:17:32 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #420 on: July 29, 2016, 08:22:29 AM »

I wonder if that whole ordeal makes the book...?
The 4th Wilson Bro.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #421 on: July 29, 2016, 01:39:05 PM »

Given the talk about Shawn and Mike and Dennis, I thought I'd share this photo. It was from mid 1988 in San Diego.

So, if that's Shawn (and I assume it is), it appears she is handing something to Mike or he is handing something to her……either that or they are holding hands. 

Or is it simply an optical illusion?  Anyone?
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #422 on: July 29, 2016, 01:47:19 PM »

So, if that's Shawn (and I assume it is), it appears she is handing something to Mike or he is handing something to her……either that or they are holding hands. 

Must be an illusion.  I'm seeing Shawn's index finger on her left hand pointing.  There is no physical contact going on.
The 4th Wilson Bro.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #423 on: July 29, 2016, 01:56:32 PM »

Must be an illusion.  I'm seeing Shawn's index finger on her left hand pointing.  There is no physical contact going on.

Yeah, you may very well be right.  But I can't quite seem to rule out that Mike is reaching out, and possibly touching her.

Oh, well.
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #424 on: July 30, 2016, 01:06:31 AM »

http://denniswilsonthebeachboys.tumblr.com/

Anyone ever seen the two avatar pictures at the top of this site? They look like they could've been taken in 1983, don't they?

Well spotted - they've been posted now.

The Beach Boys outdoor concert on the island of Maui, Hawaii, 1983

These of defiantly some of the last photos of Dennis, if the last maybe?
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx