gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 11:07:58 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Last known pictures of Dennis and Carl  (Read 153855 times)
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #350 on: October 21, 2014, 01:10:08 PM »

It seems to have been taken at the same time as the 'selfie' further back n this thread.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #351 on: October 21, 2014, 01:19:16 PM »

It seems to have been taken at the same time as the 'selfie' further back n this thread.

If the selfie pic you are referring to is this one:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=439124076189292&set=o.168908843320461&type=1&relevant_count=1

I think this one really just breaks my heart, because he looks so much older than 38 in this photo. 
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #352 on: October 21, 2014, 01:28:21 PM »

If the selfie pic you are referring to is this one:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=439124076189292&set=o.168908843320461&type=1&relevant_count=1

I think this one really just breaks my heart, because he looks so much older than 38 in this photo. 

Somehow I hadn't seen this. Thanks for the link. I hope this works:

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #353 on: October 21, 2014, 01:43:15 PM »

That's the one, and yes, he looks older in that one. Angry
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #354 on: October 21, 2014, 05:39:47 PM »

I think even that photo doesn't look too bad for circa 1983 Dennis.

It's ironic, two of the worst pics/pieces of footage I've ever seen of Dennis were both high profile TV/media events: He looks far worse at the white house event in June, 1983. I'd also say his appearance with the group on the Dick Clark 30th anniversary TV special (presumably from late 1981 or early 1982) was really bad. It's probably not coincidental that they never do a close-up on him. But he looks so off on that footage that it's hard to believe it's him.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #355 on: October 21, 2014, 05:42:45 PM »

The real question is what he looked like in late December, 1983.

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
Sound of Free
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #356 on: October 21, 2014, 07:45:01 PM »

Granted they're from far away, but Dennis looks pretty good in the photos from Candlestick Park.
wild neon sins
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #357 on: October 21, 2014, 07:50:41 PM »

I remember some post about a shot of Denny with a white beard, and thinking "WTF ? Nice to know that, for once, I was right.  Grin

David Dalton threw in references to Dennis having white hair/werewolf beard in his last years in his Beach Boys/Manson Gadfly & Mojo features so that could've caused a false memory.

eta: it's less how he looks physically that makes it a sad pic for me, but how he he looks emotionally if that makes any sense. 

obsessive/morbid post warning:

is there a date on the photo of him holding Gage, that's in Denny Remembered, it's the last photo just before the BBFun tribute repro & end section celebrating The Beach Boys (page 159). He's in a car I think (it's a bit hard to make out because of the picture quality), w/ somebody next to him, Gage on his knee w/ a bottle, an unlit cigarette in his mouth and (to me anyway) a really bleak expression on his face.

Can't post it without photographing the book - I've seen it online as well but it's buried in a facebook fan page.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 08:38:00 PM by wild neon sins » Logged

"And suddenly I find myself, listening to a man I've never known before,
Telling me about the sea..."

Looking for contributions for a Dennis fanzine
https://denniswilsonzine.tumblr.com
wild neon sins
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #358 on: October 21, 2014, 08:47:17 PM »

If that picture is indeed from 1983, then Dennis looks surprisingly not too bad. I’ve seen photos and footage of him from 1981 and 1982 where he looks far worse.

Looks now like it's actually from 82.

Thanks Ed.
https://www.facebook.com/roachclips68/photos/a.168909366653742.1073741827.168908843320461/277684415776236/?type=1

eta: Bily Hinche took the photo and he says it was "taken during a Beach Boys tour - in Casper, WY, July, 1983 ... "https://www.facebook.com/roachclips68/photos/a.168909366653742.1073741827.168908843320461/277684415776236/?type=1&comment_id=278083269069684&offset=0&total_comments=15
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 11:59:40 AM by wild neon sins » Logged

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #359 on: October 30, 2014, 11:13:08 PM »

Indeed. Reckon all of you saying "he looks good" were royally tricked by that 1st shot; Dennis hung his head towards Billy, so we see only one side of the coin, so to speak. Meaning, the aging doesn't show much.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #360 on: October 30, 2014, 11:20:13 PM »

Indeed. Reckon all of you saying "he looks good" were royally tricked by that 1st shot; Dennis hung his head towards Billy, so we see only one side of the coin, so to speak. Meaning, the aging doesn't show much.

Recently a new candidate for "last known pic of Dennis" has emerged, in the hands of a private collector: dating from late September, he looks reasonably good (considering), and his beard has a few mild white patches.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #361 on: October 30, 2014, 11:26:28 PM »

Any chance he or she can come down & show that pic? Do some talks with them.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #362 on: October 30, 2014, 11:27:38 PM »

Nope. That's all I was told.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 11:29:30 PM by The Legendary AGD » Logged

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #363 on: October 30, 2014, 11:31:43 PM »

Well, I won't believe till I see it, then. Dennis's last pics - those I've seen here - are bad.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #364 on: October 30, 2014, 11:43:08 PM »

So you're calling me a liar ? Listen up lady, no amount of "English is not my first language" will allow you to squirm out of this one.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #365 on: October 31, 2014, 12:10:28 AM »

Gee, you're such a drama magnet. 1st, I don't go on repeating "English" bit too often, or anymore. 2nd, you said you saw a new "last pic of Dennis" where he looked fairly good. But thing is, it's all in the eyes of the beholder. What if I wouldn't share your opinion & still think he looks bad?

Edit. Okay, you didn't actually saw the picture, just told the collector's description. Still, I would rather see it myself than take his/her word on Dennis looking good. Check up the TWGMTR reviews thread - there were some that didn't like - oh, shock! - the suite! In the same way, we'd have disagreements over 1 single picture. Do I make sense now?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 12:46:38 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #366 on: October 31, 2014, 08:23:07 AM »

"Drama magnet".  I've hearda "Chick magnet", but never "Drama magnet". I'll have to use that one sometime.  Cheesy

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #367 on: October 31, 2014, 09:21:30 AM »

Nowadays a lot of people have a mobile phone in their pockets and are constantly taking pictures.  We (or one of his friends) would probably have one of Dennis on the day he died if it happened now and not 1983.
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #368 on: October 31, 2014, 01:21:50 PM »

I'd be surprised if there weren't any photos of him taken at Christmas if he was with his family. Holidays are usually the times when one is most likely to be photographed, even back then.

But then again, I don't know how he spent his last Christmas, so I couldn't really say.

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #369 on: October 31, 2014, 06:03:26 PM »

Actually, I remember somebody on here mentioning that they saw a show from around 1996, and Carl drank throughout the show. It was also mentioned by one of the experts here(possibly AGD?) that the whole issue with Landy and the "autobiography" had taken a huge toll on Carl.

Don't remember that. Was it an audience member or insider? Only ask as how would an audience member know what he was drinking? Heck, he did summer tours for over 35 years in some pretty hot weather at those outdoor gigs. Doesn't mean it was alcohol.

A rock star drinking through an entire rock show? NEVER!!!!

I wonder how many of us drink through this entire board.
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #370 on: October 31, 2014, 09:52:52 PM »

Andrew's famous churlishness is both dramatic and magnetic. And never let it be said that RR isn't capable of giving as good as she gets!!

Cool Guy

(ducking for cover...)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #371 on: November 01, 2014, 12:22:33 AM »

But then again, I don't know how he spent his last Christmas, so I couldn't really say.

From the People article "Death Of A Beach Boy":

"A few days before Christmas he checked into the detox unit at St. John's Hospital and Health Center in Santa Monica. Dr. Joe Takamine, who runs the 21-day detox program, said a blood test taken on admittance showed a.28 alcohol level and traces of cocaine. "He told me he was drinking about a fifth of vodka a day and doing a little coke," Dr. Takamine adds. "I put him on 100 mg. of Librium every two hours so he could come down slowly and maybe start the program in five days." On Christmas, however, he suddenly left. He spent that day drinking with a friend. At 3:30 a.m. Dec. 26, he reportedly checked into the Daniel Freeman Marina Hospital but walked out the next day and later met with Shawn. Then he took off again."

Jon can fill in the finer detail but I doubt family and/or photos played much of a part that day.

wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #372 on: November 01, 2014, 11:49:14 AM »

From the People article "Death Of A Beach Boy":

"A few days before Christmas he checked into the detox unit at St. John's Hospital and Health Center in Santa Monica. Dr. Joe Takamine, who runs the 21-day detox program, said a blood test taken on admittance showed a.28 alcohol level and traces of cocaine. "He told me he was drinking about a fifth of vodka a day and doing a little coke," Dr. Takamine adds. "I put him on 100 mg. of Librium every two hours so he could come down slowly and maybe start the program in five days." On Christmas, however, he suddenly left. He spent that day drinking with a friend. At 3:30 a.m. Dec. 26, he reportedly checked into the Daniel Freeman Marina Hospital but walked out the next day and later met with Shawn. Then he took off again."

Jon can fill in the finer detail but I doubt family and/or photos played much of a part that day.

Thank you, AGD. Very sad, but good to know.

wild neon sins
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #373 on: November 05, 2014, 08:19:50 AM »

Refound this while sorting through random things/pics saved - was posted on ebay last year by somebody selling a set of Dennis' drumsticks.

details from the listing:

Large photo

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #374 on: November 05, 2014, 02:54:09 PM »

Looking at that pic, I would heavily question it being late September 1983. More like June/July. Towards the end, Dennis wasn't that well-groomed.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx