gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681102 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 23, 2024, 02:40:20 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 19 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Last known pictures of Dennis and Carl  (Read 155935 times)
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 27, 2009, 07:19:28 PM »

Well, that's part of the story, but nothing was ever that simple with Dennis...
He was at Carl's house in Malibu, with Carl & Pop Hinsche, during the time when Carl had his back injury.  He was changing a Sparklets water bottle, the old glass kind, with the really thick glass bottom.  When it smashed, the curved bottom was sticking straight up in the air; he cut the bone on his foot almost all the way through! 
Being up in Malibu, they felt it quicker to rush him to the hospital in Santa Monica, rather than wait for an ambulance.  Pop & Carl, (with his bad back), got him into Carl's Bentley for the drive.  Carl later told me that all Dennis was concerned about was getting blood on the car's interior...

Damn....it sounds to me that he was lucky to have even lived through it. Imagine how much blood he probably lost.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 29, 2009, 01:24:24 PM »

Actually, it would be more honest to say that was his look that week.  The man was such a chameleon, that at times it seemed he could change his look almost overnight!  Seriously, he could shave, and have a full-face beard the next week.  Ditto with the way his hair grew.  Heck, it was even somewhat true with his injuries; I remember him first struggling to play the piano after he had cut his hand so bad.  That led to him getting back behind the drums.  And, when he practically cut of his foot changing a water bottle at Carl's, they told him he'd never be able to move his toes again.  A couple of months later, he said "Look at that!"  and I watched him wiggle his toes...  Quite a unique individual, that man. 
Hey Ed, I always wanted to ask you something and I hope this is the revelant place: was Dennis pleased with POB, the mix and the songs when he released it?

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 03, 2009, 07:43:25 AM »

thanks to a kind friend, here is the article i was remembering about from my above post.
published in circus magazine, issue 142 october 26th 1976. clint eastwood on front cover.
"surfer boy
beach boy: the dennis wilson interview" scott cohen

i had it a little wrong. no motorcycle pic...dennis was talking about his motorcycles and said maybe in a year he could start one when his foot is better. the following is from the article...
cohen: what happened to your foot?
wilson: i go out to carl's house and i smoke a little grass and carl's father-in-law's there and carl's back is out so he asks me to help him with the water sparklers. so pop and i go around back and i'm barefoot and so loaded and i'm trying to maintain because pop is saying, "don't ever get loaded--it's bad for you. i've been in manila and i was in a concentration camp and you just don't get loaded---life is too dear." he goes on and on and i'm going, (sings) "everything is beautiful," just having a great time. so, in the middle of this great dream, i pick up the bottle of water and it slips out of my hand and it's going to the ground in slow motion, and as the bottle's going down i say, "ah f.uck, what do i do?" so i jumed up and came down on the broken glass. the cut was from the big toe to the little toe. i'd like to show you ... i used to be able to wiggle each toe individually, but since the tendons on the little toe were so small, the surgeon had to sew them all together, so now they all move together.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2009, 07:45:09 AM by Steve Mayo » Logged

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 03, 2009, 01:21:48 PM »

Wow, fantastic; I don't remember ever having read or seen this article before. 
Now I feel a little guilty, but I'd like to 'clear up' Dennis' version, just a little bit:

A brief explanation first, as to why I feel o.k. editing Dennis here; first off, when Gregg Jakobson and I first saw each other after years, (and this was years ago), we almost instantly were laughing at how much easier & better life has become since each of us excepted, (in my own case finally accepted), being diagnosed with ADHD.  We then had a good laugh at how obvious it was that all three of us, Dennis included, were obviously extreme cases, and probably many of our close friends, relatives & lovers were/are, too.  Then I couldn't help but wonder; if Dennis had been diagnosed way back when, and, equally important, could have stopped self medicating, well...  Lord knows what might have been.

I explain this to point out why I feel entitled to edit Dennis here, even though this was one fiasco I missed first hand.  Reading the article reminds me of reading some of my posts the next day, or of things I've said or written in publications, then later regretting that I wasn't clear, or was hard to follow.  My brain just works a little different than 'regular' ones do, and Dennis' did, too; he in his own totally unique, pedal-to-the-medal (thanks, Jon!) way!  I'm sure this had a lot to do with how we often seemed to 'fill in the blanks' for each other; and with why our friendship last so many years, through thick & thin.  O.K.,sorry, the story:

thanks to a kind friend, here is the article i was remembering about from my above post.
published in circus magazine, issue 142 october 26th 1976. clint eastwood on front cover.
"surfer boy
beach boy: the dennis wilson interview" scott cohen

i had it a little wrong. no motorcycle pic...dennis was talking about his motorcycles and said maybe in a year he could start one when his foot is better. the following is from the article...

cohen: what happened to your foot?

wilson: i go out to carl's house and i smoke a little grass and carl's father-in-law's there and carl's back is out so he asks me to help him with the water sparklers. (ed. "He went to change a Sparklett's 5 gallon water bottle, back when those babies were solid glass.  And, true to form for Dennis, he didn't just flip it over; he tossed it in the air - I've always pictured somewhat like Tom Cruise, mixing drinks in"Cocktails", (coincidentally), then he leaped in the air a few feet") so pop and i go around back and i'm barefoot and so loaded and i'm trying to maintain... and i'm going, (sings) "everything is beautiful," just having a great time. so, in the middle of this great dream, i pick up the bottle of water and it slips out of my hand and it's going to the ground in slow motion, and as the bottle's going down i say, "ah f.uck, what do i do?" so i jumped up and came down on the broken glass. the cut was from the big toe to the little toe. (ed.  "He's using that analogy for distance; where he cut was more like at the ball of the foot, straight across.  As I had said before, almost straight through the bone!) i'd like to show you ... i used to be able to wiggle each toe individually, but since the tendons on the little toe were so small, the surgeon had to sew them all together, so now they all move together.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2009, 01:31:06 PM by Ed Roach » Logged
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 03, 2009, 01:41:38 PM »

thanks for the inside story on that incident ed. i was going by memory and for me 33 years is a long time. so when i had the whole article emailed to me (lost my magazine in the fire) i thought i would post what i was remembering from.

edit anything you see. i always welcome fuller versions of stories i remember having or what i read here.

thanks again!  Smiley

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: August 27, 2009, 11:23:57 AM »

Years ago I was told that this was the last picture of Dennis....

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 27, 2009, 08:39:30 PM »

Could anybody post some more concert pictures of Dennis from around 1982-83? I don't think I've seen to many.

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: August 27, 2009, 09:26:15 PM »

He wasn't at too many.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 27, 2009, 09:58:10 PM »

True. I forgot about that.

Nicko1234
« Reply #134 on: August 28, 2009, 07:58:43 PM »

My impression was that Carl wasn't that bowled over by the Paley sessions songs. While you can debate the merits of some of the other stuff Carl sang on in the early 90s (SIP, for example), I don't know if he was entirely wrong.

Going back to this very old post...

Bruce has commented that he felt that working on the Paley Sessions was underwhelming in every way and that indicates to me that it wasn`t just the quality of the material that was a problem for the band. Brian`s involvement may have been limited (isn`t it widely considered that Soul Searchin` was mostly written by Paley?) and who knows how much production Brian was capable of.

When talking about a possible re-union album, Bruce still says that he wouldn`t want Brian producing so perhaps he`s aware that he couldn`t do it on his own after all he`s been through...
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: August 28, 2009, 09:15:48 PM »

While Brian indeed is not all over the writing of "Soul Searchin'," according to Paley he got so jazzed up about it after he heard it in semi-completion, he flew over to London to work on the song in a hotel with Paley (who was working on another project in London).

I've never heard that Brian was antyhing less than enthusiastic during the Paley sessions.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 28, 2009, 11:09:54 PM »

I read that Brian was in complete control, production wise, on the aborted reunion album. I'd love to go back in time as a fly on the wall for those sessions.

Beckgtr09
Smiley Smile Associate

I've been in this town so long......

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 31, 2009, 10:18:30 PM »

Somewhere in my collection, I have a picture of Dennis holding Gage at the Jamaica concert they did in I believe 1982. It's kinda strange to see Mike in the background giving Dennis the look of " that's my grandson and son in law who is also my cousin " vibes. If I can find it I'll ask the person who took the picture if I can post it.

Ted

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: September 01, 2009, 06:06:48 AM »

Somewhere in my collection, I have a picture of Dennis holding Gage at the Jamaica concert they did in I believe 1982. It's kinda strange to see Mike in the background giving Dennis the look of " that's my grandson and son in law who is also my cousin " vibes. If I can find it I'll ask the person who took the picture if I can post it.

Ted

That would be great.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 02, 2009, 10:32:14 PM »

Ted

That would be great.

I thought that Mike never believed she was his daughter.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 02, 2009, 11:06:27 PM »

I wonder how Mike treated Gage? I mean, at least when Dennis was still alive. Did Mike accept him as a grandson?

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 12, 2009, 07:50:40 PM »

Even with the picture being fairly small and taken at a weird angle, you can still see how old he looked by then.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #142 on: September 13, 2009, 09:19:27 AM »

I wonder how Mike treated Gage? I mean, at least when Dennis was still alive. Did Mike accept him as a grandson?

Still doesn't, officially. During her life, Mike never publicly accepted that Shawn was his daughter: I believe the closest he came was in the early 80s when she was backstage with Dennis, and he remarked "no daughter of mine takes drugs".

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 13, 2009, 10:01:17 AM »

Just as an aside, I remember an interview where Al was asked about Shawn and he just broke out in a big grin and said "Shawn was Mike's daughter" as if he had no doubt on the subject at all.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 13, 2009, 10:48:18 PM »

Still doesn't, officially. During her life, Mike never publicly accepted that Shawn was his daughter: I believe the closest he came was in the early 80s when she was backstage with Dennis, and he remarked "no daughter of mine takes drugs".
That's cold. The absolute least he could have done was treated Shawn and Gage as family. For Gage's sake.

Was it Shawn that died, or her mother? I've heard conflicting stories. I remember in the Steven Gaines book it was mentioned that Shawn was pretty sick with cancer. That was way back in, what, 1983?

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: September 13, 2009, 10:49:46 PM »

Just as an aside, I remember an interview where Al was asked about Shawn and he just broke out in a big grin and said "Shawn was Mike's daughter" as if he had no doubt on the subject at all.
I wonder if that's what caused the falling out between him and Mike?  Grin

XY
« Reply #146 on: September 13, 2009, 11:13:29 PM »

Even with the picture being fairly small and taken at a weird angle, you can still see how old he looked by then.

Dennnis old Huh I've never seen a single picture of Dennis looking old. You've got to be kidding! Even with all the drugs and drinks, he looked pretty good for a almost 40 years old I think. The only pics I know where he looked kinda strange are the ones from 83 with his sons.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 13, 2009, 11:19:32 PM »

Dennnis old Huh I've never seen a single picture of Dennis looking old. You've got to be kidding! Even with all the drugs and drinks, he looked pretty good for a almost 40 years old I think. The only pics I know where he looked kinda strange are the ones from 83 with his sons.
Somebody a few months ago on here posted some pictures of the group at some kind of press conference with Dennis that seems to have been sometime in 1983. Dennis looked like he was in his 60's.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #148 on: September 13, 2009, 11:40:58 PM »

That's cold. The absolute least he could have done was treated Shawn and Gage as family. For Gage's sake.

Was it Shawn that died, or her mother? I've heard conflicting stories. I remember in the Steven Gaines book it was mentioned that Shawn was pretty sick with cancer. That was way back in, what, 1983?

Shawn died in LA, September 2003, aged 38, of liver cancer. No idea if Shannon Harris is still alive: I would imagine so.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: September 14, 2009, 04:37:44 AM »

Shawn died in LA, September 2003, aged 38, of liver cancer. No idea if Shannon Harris is still alive: I would imagine so.

How tragic for Gage to have never known his father and lost his mother so early.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 19 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx