gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680813 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 01:56:51 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 19 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Last known pictures of Dennis and Carl  (Read 155003 times)
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2009, 08:19:40 AM »

Check out the official video to the boys' rendition of California Dreamin' from around that time. The look in Brian's eyes is almost completely identical to the one visible in the picture on the back side of Holland. He looks every bit as troubled and paranoid.
Jason
« Reply #51 on: April 20, 2009, 09:49:56 AM »

If we're talking last known pictures of Dennis, I can think of the video footage from Costa Mesa, CA in August of '83, some of which was used in An American Band. Of course there's most likely later stuff, but who knows?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: April 20, 2009, 10:35:33 AM »

Funny that no one has come up with a very late photo of Carl yet.

I believe this is quite late, but am not sure

They played North Myrtle Beach HOB June 30th-July 2nd 1997. Carl's last show was a day under 4 weeks after that.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Jason
« Reply #53 on: April 20, 2009, 10:45:45 AM »

They must have been playing God Only Knows in that picture. If I remember correctly during all of the 1997 tour that Carl participated in, he sat on a stool for the whole of every show but stood up for God Only Knows.
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 20, 2009, 10:48:32 AM »

They must have been playing God Only Knows in that picture. If I remember correctly during all of the 1997 tour that Carl participated in, he sat on a stool for the whole of every show but stood up for God Only Knows.

that's exactly what went on at the beachago show i saw in columbus, oh on last of may, 1997.

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 20, 2009, 11:39:50 AM »

Quote from: The Real Beach Boy
If I remember correctly during all of the 1997 tour that Carl participated in, he sat on a stool for the whole of every show but stood up for God Only Knows.

The last time I saw Carl, at the Raleigh concert on June 13, 1997, he was using the stool, but also standing for much of the show as well. I suspect it got harder for him to stand as the water retention effects of the steroids increased.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: April 20, 2009, 11:50:51 AM »

But something's so very wrong.  I can't explain it.  What the hell was Landy prescribing him?

I'd say it's the eyes. On that second picture he's got that wild eyed look that people usually have when they're on speed or XTC (not saying that he was, of course).

Supposedly Brian was given speed in addition to all of the meds during the second Landy period.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 20, 2009, 09:25:13 PM »

It's rumored that Carl showed up to a beach boys concert a couple weeks before he died. He was totally bald. But he supposedly mentioned to the group that he would join them soon for a few gigs. I'm kind of glad that no pictures of that have turned up, if they even exist.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
MBE
« Reply #58 on: April 20, 2009, 09:45:21 PM »

I never heard that one. I know Mike told Carl that he shouldn't tour until he was feeling better.
crabsurf
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 20, 2009, 10:41:31 PM »

This image was taken at the Concord Pavilion on August 2, 1997.  From what I remember Carl sat on a stool for the entire show and stood only when he took his lead on God Only Knows.  After that song Mike made a comment about Carl having cancer and not feeling well.

[attachment deleted by admin]
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: April 20, 2009, 11:08:38 PM »

My God that is a sad pic...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
MBE
« Reply #61 on: April 20, 2009, 11:14:45 PM »

I wonder why Carl looked so bloated. My grandfather get real thin with chemo.
jeremylr
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: April 20, 2009, 11:29:40 PM »

Thanks for bringing this topic up again.  I'm a newer member of the board.  This is one of those threads where we're discussing several themes, but going back to the 2 Corbis pics posted by Bean Bag, would those pics have been taken in the mid 1980s?  I"m not so well-versed on Brian's appearance during that decade.  I didn't realize Brian lost that much weight.  It was downright scary to look at.

I wonder what a slideshow would look like if it had pics of Brian say every couple of months from the mid '70s through the '80s.  Pretty jarring probably.
Jason
« Reply #63 on: April 20, 2009, 11:34:18 PM »

Look at the Washington DC or Long Beach, CA footage from '81 and compare it to anything from 1976 onward (even 1980, when he really began to spiral out of control) if you wanna be shocked with Brian. He would lay claim to his highest weight being around 311 pounds in 1984 on The Tonight Show (Joan Rivers guested as the host), but he was at his all-time worst in mid-1981 until his kidnapping. I would say he was more than 311 pounds. I think in one of the books it mentioned Brian being around 340 pounds.
MBE
« Reply #64 on: April 21, 2009, 01:00:51 AM »

Only the Gold book said 340. Besides What's 20-30  pounds when you are that heavy. Those pics of Brian were 1986 I think.

Here is a brief guide to help you through 1996 or so.
1962 or before he is very skinny
1963 Still not overweight but bigger. Has his hair combed forward.
1964 Slightly overweight but not too bad. Hair not combed forward
1965 He wore his hair back and forward still fairly short. A little more overweight but not a huge gut yet
1966-69 Longer hair sometimes with a gut sometimes trimmed down. Looks like he did on Pet Sounds Or Stack O Tracks. Big sideburns around the time of Smile. Beard in the summer of 67
1970 Actually lost some weight pretty long hair. Looked good
1971 Very long hair still not obese but a little heavier again. Not disheveled yet.
1972- early 73 Hair still long a little more out of it looking then before. Heavier but no beard, first real signs of decline
1974-5 Very big with beard
1976 Started off huge lost weight over the year until back to about 1971 weight. Beard
1977 Kept losing weight through the summer pretty this by mid year. Already gaining back a little by the fall but not big. Beard
1978 Looks kind of like he did in 1976 Got fairly big by the summer but only semi paunchy most of year. Beard
1979 Thinner until end of the year beard very bushy. A bit unkempt again. By end of year has gotten big again.
1980 Pretty overweight Almost as bad as 1974-5. No beard during June.  More wrinkles older looking.
1981-82 huge worse then ever, untrimmed beard, long nails.
1983 Started huge but got pretty thin by summer Some grey showing in beard. Actually looks pretty good
1984-early 85. Still with the beard eyes starting to look more haunted but not too bad.
1985-87 Semi bang very thin starting to show some signs of damage in his gait or eyes no beard
1988-90 Thin hair swept back really looking bulgier in the eyes.
1991-2 Putting on weight a lot older looking
1993-95 Fairly overweight but not too bad except 1995. Side burns
Since 1996 he has aged but looks almost the same. Teeth weirdly white since 2005 more grey since then too. Sometimes with a gut sometimes fairly fit. Very haunted eyes.
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 21, 2009, 01:27:58 AM »

That's crazy, MBE. I think we should all make lists like that about ourselves. It could give us some perspective. I'll start at age 16.

2004 - A little chubby but he was losing weight. His hair was usually short, with bangs. He had a goatee for a short time. His fingernails were regularly clipped. He still had some acne at this point.
2005 - Skinny, he had lost a lot of weight. His hair was longer, parted in the middle, almost down to his shoulders. His acne mostly clear. He got almost scarily skinny by end of year.
2006-2007 - He had shorter hair with bangs. Still skinny. He had no acne by this point. Stopped regularly cutting his fingernails around this period (so you can tell it was a dark time).
2008 - Back to a more healthy weight. He washed his hair less. His hair was still short with bangs, but starting to get longer. Grew a short beard a few times and experimented with various facial hair configurations.
2009 - Hair was longer again, but he still washed his hair less, makes it look healthier, he must've thought. His bangs are below his eyes, so he combed his hair forward but to the right, kind of a hipster look. Had a goatee and mustache. Fingernails still irregularly clipped.  Still a healthy weight. Part-time fast food job caused a few returns of acne.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: April 21, 2009, 02:15:27 AM »

That's crazy, MBE. I think we should all make lists like that about ourselves. It could give us some perspective. I'll start at age 16.

2004 - A little chubby but he was losing weight. His hair was usually short, with bangs. He had a goatee for a short time. His fingernails were regularly clipped. He still had some acne at this point.
2005 - Skinny, he had lost a lot of weight. His hair was longer, parted in the middle, almost down to his shoulders. His acne mostly clear. He got almost scarily skinny by end of year.
2006-2007 - He had shorter hair with bangs. Still skinny. He had no acne by this point. Stopped regularly cutting his fingernails around this period (so you can tell it was a dark time).
2008 - Back to a more healthy weight. He washed his hair less. His hair was still short with bangs, but starting to get longer. Grew a short beard a few times and experimented with various facial hair configurations.
2009 - Hair was longer again, but he still washed his hair less, makes it look healthier, he must've thought. His bangs are below his eyes, so he combed his hair forward but to the right, kind of a hipster look. Had a goatee and mustache. Fingernails still irregularly clipped.  Still a healthy weight. Part-time fast food job caused a few returns of acne.

LOL

Sounds like a great thread for the sandbox...

MBE
« Reply #67 on: April 21, 2009, 02:51:23 AM »

Point taken it's a silly post, but I was only trying to help him date photos. Can the fact that I am on painkillers for an operation last week be an ok excuse?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 02:53:17 AM by MBE » Logged
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 21, 2009, 03:15:27 AM »

Point taken it's a silly post, but I was only trying to help him date photos. Can the fact that I am on painkillers for an operation last week be an ok excuse?

Hey, I liked the post, but it just shows how crazy we can get cataloging the life of Brian and the Beach Boys. I'm guilty of it too sometimes - the stains are on my hands too, so I'm not singling you out. It's more... what is it about the Beach Boys that makes us fanatics want to do that, to go to such obsessive lengths? I feel like there is a research paper wanting to be written or a documentary wanting to be made about it. You know, really getting into the psyche of the Beach Boys fandom. What makes 'em tick? Why do they do what they do? What are their lives like otherwise? Their childhoods? Like Andrew G. Doe, for example. What kind of inner satisfaction does he get as he gathers minutia about concert dates and studio sessions and meticulously organizes it for his site, Bellagio 10452? Does he feel like a zen monk tilling a Japanese rock garden while he catalogs all of the Beach Boys 1977 concert dates? Is it a response to the chaos in his personal life?  Is he obsessive compulsive in other areas of his life? (just kidding about those suppositions, by the way) There's so many questions to be asked. He would definitely be the first person I'd try to interview.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 03:16:43 AM by Dada » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: April 21, 2009, 05:23:29 AM »

Hope you're ok again !

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 21, 2009, 08:13:48 AM »

Thanks for bringing this topic up again.  I'm a newer member of the board.  This is one of those threads where we're discussing several themes, but going back to the 2 Corbis pics posted by Bean Bag, would those pics have been taken in the mid 1980s?  I"m not so well-versed on Brian's appearance during that decade.  I didn't realize Brian lost that much weight.  It was downright scary to look at.

I wonder what a slideshow would look like if it had pics of Brian say every couple of months from the mid '70s through the '80s.  Pretty jarring probably.
The first picture of Brian and Carl is from the late 1986 video shoo tfor the "California Dreamin'" video.  The second is from early 1987 and the "Wipeout" video shoot.

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 21, 2009, 08:18:45 AM »

This image was taken at the Concord Pavilion on August 2, 1997.  From what I remember Carl sat on a stool for the entire show and stood only when he took his lead on God Only Knows.  After that song Mike made a comment about Carl having cancer and not feeling well.

I saw the BB's the very next day in the LA area.  I had the opportunity to sit next to Carl for about 5 minutes. I remember being struck by his appearance, it really did not even look like him.  His ankles were extremely swollen and wrapped.  He looked and acted extremely tired.  He then went out and somehow performed as well as I had ever seen or heard from him.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 08:19:58 AM by southbay » Logged

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 21, 2009, 08:37:59 AM »

Somewhat off topic, but a silly picture of BW from 05. He looks like someone's nutty grandma.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: April 21, 2009, 10:09:28 AM »

Like Andrew G. Doe, for example. What kind of inner satisfaction does he get as he gathers minutia about concert dates and studio sessions and meticulously organizes it for his site, Bellagio 10452? Does he feel like a zen monk tilling a Japanese rock garden while he catalogs all of the Beach Boys 1977 concert dates? Is it a response to the chaos in his personal life?  Is he obsessive compulsive in other areas of his life? (just kidding about those suppositions, by the way) There's so many questions to be asked. He would definitely be the first person I'd try to interview.

It's a quirk, albeit on a huge canvas. When I like something, I have this odd need to know as much about the subject as possible. The Beach Boys just pushed more buttons than most.

The satisfaction I get is that of accurately documenting Brian's life and work, if needs be demolishing long held myths in the process. Research R me.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 21, 2009, 11:05:42 AM »

I'm kind of the same way.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 19 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx