gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680755 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 09:52:59 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Last known pictures of Dennis and Carl  (Read 154748 times)
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #300 on: July 29, 2013, 04:22:21 AM »

Actually, I remember somebody on here mentioning that they saw a show from around 1996, and Carl drank throughout the show. It was also mentioned by one of the experts here(possibly AGD?) that the whole issue with Landy and the "autobiography" had taken a huge toll on Carl.

Don't remember that. Was it an audience member or insider? Only ask as how would an audience member know what he was drinking? Heck, he did summer tours for over 35 years in some pretty hot weather at those outdoor gigs. Doesn't mean it was alcohol.

It was in a brown paper bag, I seriously doubt it was orange juice.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: July 29, 2013, 08:52:18 AM »

I will say that between 1991 and 1997 I saw Carl backstage at nearly every California show the group did.  On each occasion I spoke with Carl briefly, saw him in his dressing room and on the band's tour bus. Not on one occasion did I see him with anything stronger than a bottle of Perrier.  Now did he retreat to his hotel room after shows and drink?  That I cannot say. But before, during and around shows during that time period I never saw him with alcohol.

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: July 29, 2013, 09:22:50 AM »

It was also mentioned by one of the experts here(possibly AGD?) that the whole issue with Landy and the "autobiography" had taken a huge toll on Carl.

I think it's difficult to determine causality between the emotional/psychological toll that the Landy issue took on Carl and his cancer.  It's possible that the stress impacted his health, but it's also possible that people mistook early symptoms of his cancer as the result of stress from the Landy issue.  Since he was diagnosed in stage IV, he probably had the cancer a long time before it was diagnosed, possibly as long as several years.
A few reliable sources have intimated to me that Carl was "not feeling well" as early as 1994.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: July 29, 2013, 09:53:40 PM »

I remember quite clearly discussing Carl with my dad back in 1996. He had heard from somewhere(I believe he said on the radio) that Carl was quite ill from some type of cancer. So there definitely was some talk about something going on with Carl before the "official" announcement.

Ok, this might seem like a dumb question. In the official announcement, we learned that Carl had lung cancer with secondary tumors in the brain. It was already stage IV by then, right?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #304 on: July 29, 2013, 09:58:20 PM »

Yeah.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: July 29, 2013, 10:07:33 PM »

In the few recordings I've heard from  that period, you'd never be able to tell anything is wrong. Carl sounded just a beautiful as ever. God Only Knows took on a new meaning. I can't decide whether his decision to tour was a good thing or not. It was very brave of him to want to keep touring, but did it eventually take more out of him than he could afford to lose?

It still kind of bugs me that Brian didn't join the group with his brother one last time on that tour.  Angry

zachrwolfe
« Reply #306 on: July 30, 2013, 12:24:18 AM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:52:43 PM by zatch » Logged
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #307 on: July 30, 2013, 01:53:07 AM »

Or was it caught early when we didn't know about it, but it just spread and progressed quickly?

MBE
« Reply #308 on: July 30, 2013, 02:25:38 AM »

Or was it caught early when we didn't know about it, but it just spread and progressed quickly?
It's hard to know with Carl. He kept a lot private and his friends respect that still.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #309 on: July 30, 2013, 03:08:22 AM »

I respect that he was a private man, and his family still probably wants it that way, but it's so frustrating as a fan!  Grin If you look at pictures and videos starting at about 1995 and on, it's fairly obvious that something was wrong. I've heard stories about him having gout(sp?) and wearing a back brace, but I can't even find out any details about that.

Gohi
« Reply #310 on: July 30, 2013, 05:20:32 AM »

I respect that he was a private man, and his family still probably wants it that way, but it's so frustrating as a fan!  Grin
Eh I don't know if that's the most tasteful emoticon choice for this discussion...
MBE
« Reply #311 on: July 30, 2013, 05:23:00 AM »

I respect that he was a private man, and his family still probably wants it that way, but it's so frustrating as a fan!  Grin If you look at pictures and videos starting at about 1995 and on, it's fairly obvious that something was wrong. I've heard stories about him having gout(sp?) and wearing a back brace, but I can't even find out any details about that.
It is frustrating as a fan. As a writer I feel I have all the good info on him as an artist or a Beach Boy. It's his true private life (especially past the seventies) I don't know much about. That's actually a choice made by me because my biographical information is mainly centered around their public life. I mean I talk about them personally, but mainly in relation to how it effected the group. Of course Carl's death ended the group basically so I asked about it. Really most of the people I interviewed just were not around the last years enough to know, or if they were I decided what they offered was enough.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: July 30, 2013, 01:10:31 PM »

I've also heard that Carl suffered from gout.

I can confirm that he wore a back brace in his later years. It was kind of noticeable when you hugged him. Grin

I've also spoken with fans who were backstage when Carl was dealing with severe back pain between 2-up shows. It's bad enough to have to stand during for one show in pain, and then have to face another one. It's rather remarkable that he didn't resort to sitting on a stool sooner.

His back problems began with that bad injury in the mid-'70s when he tried to lift a TV set and wound up in traction. He seemed to be OK in the '80s, but chronic back troubles returned in the '90s.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #313 on: July 30, 2013, 08:49:16 PM »

Playing a rather large looking Gibson in the mid 1990's probably made it even harder on his back. I wonder why he didn't trade it for something lighter?

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #314 on: July 31, 2013, 02:17:09 AM »

Playing a rather large looking Gibson in the mid 1990's probably made it even harder on his back. I wonder why he didn't trade it for something lighter?

He did play his Strat now and then

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: August 03, 2013, 12:21:23 AM »

I remember how slim - for Carl - he looked on his solo tours, and throughout most of the 80's; hadn't seen him in a couple years when the Beach Boys did Regis and Kathie Lee in 96 to promote S&S, and I thought Carl looked like he had put on a lot of weight again. Beyond that, there was just something about his appearance that concerned me. Still, I never dreamed he'd be gone less than 2 years later.
The 4th Wilson Bro.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #316 on: August 05, 2013, 09:04:07 AM »

I remember Carl looking very tired/haggard during some of the Boys' 1995 appearances. But then his overall appearance REALLY changed in 1996 when he aged drastically. It was almost like it happened overnight. Somehow, I can't help believing that a thorough medical exam as early as '94 or '95 might have ultimately saved Carl's life. But then again, who knows whether the cancer may have actually been discovered earlier than 1996?

How I wish someone in the Wilson's inner circle would write or speak publicly about the last years of Carl's life. I certainly understand the family's need to respect Carl's wishes to keep his private life private. But I don't relish the thought that I'll never know anything more about the life and death of this man that I've admired my entire life.
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: August 05, 2013, 10:18:23 AM »

when I saw carl last it was the end of may 1997 in Columbus oh. with Chicago. carl sang well but looked really tired and bad. he got huge applause after each song he sung and nodded at the crowd. but he look bad.
I thought something was wrong with him when I saw him in may 1995 on the big red boat show. even said so to our group. something just wasn't right.

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #318 on: August 05, 2013, 10:30:09 AM »

He did play his Strat now and then

The Gibson 335-style guitars he played are semi-hollow, they're not much heavier if at all than a Strat despite the body size. If he had been playing something like a specific year solidbody Les Paul, it may have been more of an issue, but even then only a few pounds heavier. The average Strats and Gibson semi-hollowbodies like Carl's usually weigh in around 8-9 pounds.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #319 on: August 05, 2013, 01:51:40 PM »

I remember Carl looking very tired/haggard during some of the Boys' 1995 appearances. But then his overall appearance REALLY changed in 1996 when he aged drastically. It was almost like it happened overnight. Somehow, I can't help believing that a thorough medical exam as early as '94 or '95 might have ultimately saved Carl's life. But then again, who knows whether the cancer may have actually been discovered earlier than 1996?

How I wish someone in the Wilson's inner circle would write or speak publicly about the last years of Carl's life. I certainly understand the family's need to respect Carl's wishes to keep his private life private. But I don't relish the thought that I'll never know anything more about the life and death of this man that I've admired my entire life.
I feel the same way. It still makes me extremely sad - on the verge of tears - to think how this wonderful man's life ended so early.
zachrwolfe
« Reply #320 on: August 05, 2013, 02:15:04 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:51:30 PM by zatch » Logged
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #321 on: August 06, 2013, 12:21:14 AM »

Oh, how I wish I would have met The Beach Boys and seen them in concert when I had the chance. It was in November of 1996, so it may have been right around the time Carl was starting to have health issues.

The 4th Wilson Bro.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #322 on: August 06, 2013, 07:53:58 AM »

Being the 4th Wilson brother, you should know plenty. Smiley

I'm afraid to talk. The fear of God that Murry instilled in me as a child still looms large – and the man has been dead 40 years.  Wink
bluesno1fann
« Reply #323 on: September 03, 2013, 03:27:54 AM »

You know what would be interesting? Finding the last known pictures of Murry Wilson!  Smiley Evil
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #324 on: September 03, 2013, 05:45:33 AM »

Trying to think... not sure I've seen a pic of him post 1967. He gained a ton of weight towards the end.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx