gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680853 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 12:24:07 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rollin' Up To Heaven  (Read 2569 times)
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 20, 2007, 10:35:28 PM »

What do you guys think of this song?  Grin Musically, I think it kicks butt.  Smiley I have a few questions about it. Does anybody know when this was recorded? I have read that it was done sometime between 1972-73. But, I have also read that it was recorded at the Caribou Ranch in 1974. I thought the tapes from the Caribou seesions didn't exist anymore? I have one more question. Who does the falsetto bit? Is it Brian?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
MBE
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2007, 02:08:58 AM »

Ok this was recorded fall 1974 done at Caribou. It doesn't have a real name but it was refered to as Hard Times in the Badman book. This has nothing to do with Ricky and Blondie's song called Hard Times. I like it very much and like it's humor showing that Brian even during his mid 70's retreat retained some humor about him. Yes that's him singing the high part, one of the last times he sang before his voice was self damaged in 1975. The Caribou tapes have been turning up the last few years but I don't know how many.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2007, 10:53:03 AM »

AKA the 'dirty' version of "Ding Dang"  Roll Eyes

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2007, 11:22:34 AM »

Love it too! The guys sound like they're really having fun with this...

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
She Dont Know A Thing
Smiley Smile Associate

She don't-she don't-she don't know...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2007, 12:24:45 PM »

Probably one of the funniest BBs songs, and a good glimpse of Brian's wacky humor.

"I like I'm So Lonely off of The Beach Boys (85).  Classic smoky voiced fat brian music.  And the sax just seems to fit."-Donald
"Perhaps a pic of a bearded, 300+ pound BW with an unbuttoned shirt chain-smoking and playing piano--drinks lined up atop it--in a dark, seedy San Diego gay bar would have hit the spot. For me it would have, anyway." - Luther
"Al Jardine responds by playing that looping, loopy bass line that promises us that Jardine's insanity will never end - it's as eternal as the ocean's waves."-Dada
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2007, 08:27:51 PM »

Did Brian "write" the song? For some reason, I always pictured Dennis as the 'instigator" of that song.  LOL

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2007, 08:29:47 PM »

AKA the 'dirty' version of "Ding Dang"  Roll Eyes
People always refeer to it as the "dirty" version of "Ding Dang", but personally, I hear nothing in common with the two songs.

XY
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2007, 10:00:13 PM »

Brian stated in '74 that he has an unfinished project with Roger McGuinn going. Did he mean "Ding Dang"?
MBE
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2007, 02:42:08 AM »

Brian wrote it as far as I can tell. It has his stamp all over it in the vocal complexities and layered production. I don't hear much in common with Ding Dang either, other then that they are structured in the same fashion.

I am pretty sure Ding Dang was what Brian was referring to.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx