gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681029 Posts in 27628 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 16, 2024, 10:39:28 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The cocaine tapes  (Read 9021 times)
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 17, 2007, 12:50:57 AM »

It's been said that Brian and Dennis recorded some demos in a studio sometime in 1981-ish. But, the recordings that are circulating sound more like they were recorded in somebody's house. There is various talking, coughing, and other noises throughout songs. Also, you can barely hear Brian sing. Does anybody know exactly when and where these recordings took place? Does anybody know how these recordings came to be in the hands of the general public? Are there any more recordings from this period that exist, but don't circulate? The version of "Oh Lord" is over seven minutes, but it's still incomplete. It's pretty obviously two separate versions of the song put together. Were the "cocaine tapes" that circulate recorded on the same day?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
MBE
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 03:41:51 AM »

Night Blooming Jasmine might be Brian and Dennis in 1981. Some think the 1979 recording date listed on the "Brian Wilson" CD is suspect. The cocaine tapes were done around 1981 at Leon Gravey's house. He was a friend of Dennis'. What you heard are the tapes. Informal demos are what they really are more or less.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 03:56:18 AM »

But I believe that "Stevie" (great song !) was overdubbed later with horns, right?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 05:09:36 AM »

I believe the fellow's name is Garby Leon.  THe "Cocaine Tapes" demos were from informal sessions at his home, where he had a grand piano & a Hammond organ.  Garby was a speaker at the 2003 Dennis Wilson bash.  If I remember right, he was not a "drug buddy" of Dennis, but rather a fellow with a degree in music who somehow befriended Dennis and used to take care of his property while he was on tour.

"Stevie" was co-produced by Garby & Dennis.  There were sessions held for it in the Fall of 1980, at either Village Recorders, Western Recorders, or both.  During an interview with Andrew Doe a few years later, Chuck Britz recalled working on the song.  Horns were overdubbed in January '81 at Sounds Good Recording.

The first mention of "Night Blooming Jasmine" indicated it was recorded a year later (Fall of '81).  Supposedly they started (but probably never finished) a few other songs in professional studios in late '81 / early '82, such as "City Blues" and "Dancin' USA"...however these have yet to circulate.

In his hotel room "interview" with Les Chan & friends (December '81), Brian says he wrote "City Blues" with Dennis, so I would definitely credit that as a BW/DW cowrite, despite what Brian said in 2004 to the contrary.

Thanks to the "Add Some Music" fanzine & Jon Stebbins for this info.  David Leaf, too.
Bill Barnyard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2007, 09:12:05 AM »

The studio sessions were held at Village Recorders; certainly 'Night Blooming Jasmine' was cut there.

Cool

I guess I've got a way with girls
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2007, 09:41:42 AM »

As C-man said, Garby Leon it is. A very interesting fellow, more of an intellectual and classical aficionado than a drug hang.  He truly loved Dennis and described him to me as an "acrobat". Garby reportedly has reels of tape of Brian and Dennis jamming on Hammond and baby grand, writing songs and probably coughing and laughing a lot. People inside the BB's extended family pulled the plug on this collaboration because of the substances being shared. Garby claimed the brothers were doing well and were happy to be creating together. His version of the story always emphasizes the happiness of creating together and not the drugs. Others tell tales of Brian being found face down on Venice Beach close to death. Knowing what I do I'd imagine both versions are true.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2007, 04:32:17 PM »

Others tell tales of Brian being found face down on Venice Beach close to death.

Oh sh*t. I've always wondered if Brian ever OD'd. In fact, I was actually debating on whether or not to ask that. Hard to imagine Brian was once that bad off...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2007, 12:50:44 AM »

What is "Night Blooming Jasmine"?

phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2007, 04:12:42 AM »

What is "Night Blooming Jasmine"?

A demo recording of Night Blooming Jasmine can be found on the extended and remastered BW88 album as part of it made its way into the Rio Grande suite on that very record.
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2007, 04:15:21 AM »

Night Blooming Jasmine might be Brian and Dennis in 1981. Some think the 1979 recording date listed on the "Brian Wilson" CD is suspect. The cocaine tapes were done around 1981 at Leon Gravey's house. He was a friend of Dennis'. What you heard are the tapes. Informal demos are what they really are more or less.

I agree, 1979 is too early

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2007, 08:10:45 PM »

I agree, 1979 is too early

My theory:  Tom Murphy, who recalls engineering "Jasmine", was also Dennis' engineer for most of "Bamboo".  He may have reused a reel left over from the last days of the "Bamboo" sessions, and therefore dated 1979, two years later for the Brian/Dennis stuff.  Perhaps Mr. Boyd could tell us if that's where that 1979 date came from.  But according to my records, the Boys (with Brian and without Dennis) had a gig on the east coast either that day or the day before and the day after in 1979, which would mean Brian and Dennis were probably not together that day.  Plus, like I said, there's no mention of that song anywhere unitl late 1981, when we were told it was recorded that Fall.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2007, 10:01:36 PM »

Great thread about a little-documented time in the BBs history. I'm sure everyone involved would prefer not to remember those times, but gosh, some pretty decent songs were started then.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2007, 02:57:13 AM »

I'm oddly facinated with "Oh Lord". On one hand, Brian's voice is REALLY shot, and the demo is long and unfocused. But, Brian did sing the demo with passon, like he really meant it. It's beautiful and haunting, but also sad all in one.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2007, 02:59:35 AM »

My copy of the "cocaine sessions" also has about 12 and a half minutes of Brian talking to two guys that sound in their teens. They sound like a bunch of nervous kids.  Cheesy Any idea where this recording comes from?

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2007, 04:44:05 AM »

My copy of the "cocaine sessions" also has about 12 and a half minutes of Brian talking to two guys that sound in their teens. They sound like a bunch of nervous kids.  Cheesy Any idea where this recording comes from?

Well, that sounds like the "interview" Les Chan and friends did with Brian in his hotel room, San Carlos, December '81.  On that one, you can hear him talking to Carolyn (his nurse/girlfriend) and at one point he calls Dennis' room...Dennis was "not feeling well" and was unsure if he'd play the show that night (he didn't...there's tape of the concert, and Bruce announces from the stage that they're gonna sing "Happy Birthday" for Dennis, who is back in his hotel room throwing up...Bruce implies it was from food poisoning).
Anyway, Brian mentions such recent compositions as "Stevie", "Sweetie", "Night Blooming Jasmine", and I think "City Blues".  He even sings a bit of "Stevie" and "Still I Dream Of It" for the fans.
pendletone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2007, 05:08:11 AM »

I'm oddly facinated with "Oh Lord". On one hand, Brian's voice is REALLY shot, and the demo is long and unfocused. But, Brian did sing the demo with passon, like he really meant it. It's beautiful and haunting, but also sad all in one.

Yes, yes and yes - Brian's voice on this one is so passionate it almost hurts!

Well, that sounds like the "interview" Les Chan and friends did with Brian in his hotel room, San Carlos, December '81. 

That's the Les Chan interview for sure.

I think Brian also mentioned Carl's album?

Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2007, 09:31:16 AM »

There's a story from this '81 period that an eyewitness recounted to me about Dennis playing the piano and Brian stalking around the room with a leather belt doubled into strap length in his hand.... and he kept saying to Dennis, "Remember dad? " And then BW would whack the belt across his hand, or across the piano. "Remember Dennis? Remember dad?"And he kept doing it harder and Dennis was playing louder and more intensely...with Brian whacking away saying..."Remember!!??" I always think of this anecdote when i hear "Oh Lord".
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2007, 11:12:36 AM »

There's a story from this '81 period that an eyewitness recounted to me about Dennis playing the piano and Brian stalking around the room with a leather belt doubled into strap length in his hand.... and he kept saying to Dennis, "Remember dad? " And then BW would whack the belt across his hand, or across the piano. "Remember Dennis? Remember dad?"And he kept doing it harder and Dennis was playing louder and more intensely...with Brian whacking away saying..."Remember!!??" I always think of this anecdote when i hear "Oh Lord".

Wow that's quite the story Jon.  Was Brian doing this jokingly or was he actually serious?  Sounds pretty scary either way.

And I LOVE "Oh, Lord".  I wish the sound quality was better...Brian has never sang with such conviction.  The fact that his voice is shot adds to the overwhelming pain of the song. 
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2007, 01:18:21 PM »

Hmm, I don't see them being in that sort of atmosphere during the recording of "Oh Lord". They seemed to be a bit more mellow and passionate than irate.

There is a cleaned up version of "Oh Lord" circulated (done by a fan) which sounds much better.

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2007, 04:01:00 PM »

There MAY be a studio version of "Oh Lord", too...ASM reported that Brian played a tape of the song to someone who visited his house in the fall of '82...that could have been the demo, or it could have been a studio track (AGD, if by any chance you were the visitor...please chime in!)...then in the early '90s I was told that David Leaf had heard the song (perhaps he was the "visitor"), and I was under the impression that this was a studio version, but who knows (David obviously does). 

And, believe it or not, Brian reportedly was cuting a track for "Oh Lord" with Steve Levine in 1984...but I have no idea if finished vocals were recorded for it.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2007, 12:07:14 AM »

Speaking of "Oh Lord", can anybody transcribe the lyrics for me?

Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2007, 11:09:05 AM »

There MAY be a studio version of "Oh Lord", too...ASM reported that Brian played a tape of the song to someone who visited his house in the fall of '82...that could have been the demo, or it could have been a studio track (AGD, if by any chance you were the visitor...please chime in!)...then in the early '90s I was told that David Leaf had heard the song (perhaps he was the "visitor"), and I was under the impression that this was a studio version, but who knows (David obviously does). 

And, believe it or not, Brian reportedly was cuting a track for "Oh Lord" with Steve Levine in 1984...but I have no idea if finished vocals were recorded for it.

I've heard that "Oh Lord" was considered for the '85 album, or that Brian at least attempted to record it around that time.  Given how the '85 album sounded, I'm almost glad it was never completed.  I honestly think that any studio version of that would just water down the emotion in Brian's demo.  It would have to be really "underproduced", which the '85 album clearly was not. 

That being said, however, I would still love to hear a version with better sound quality so that I can actually understand what Brian is singing half the time.  All I can make out is the chorus ("make me sad from everything, please let me see all there is to see", or something like that).  Beyond that I can only pick out random little phrases during the verses ("let me hear their song, let me be okay forevermore").  Wow.  I can barely hear it but this song totally knocks me out every time.
warnakey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2007, 04:46:35 PM »

I read on some website that the song Oh Lord was written by Dennis, and was intended to be on his second album Bamboo.

I agree that the song is the best from the cocaine sessions. Its amazing.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2007, 06:43:07 PM »

I read on some website that the song Oh Lord was written by Dennis, and was intended to be on his second album Bamboo.

I agree that the song is the best from the cocaine sessions. Its amazing.

Yeah, I just read that last night.  Clearly inaccurate.
Anyway, I think Brian sings something about the children, then the "let me hear their song" part.
My cassette copy ends after a few seconds of "Heroes and Villains"...and I mean the tape literally ends, but is anybody else's version any longer?
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2007, 08:35:45 PM »

Other than "Oh Lord", the thing that interests me about the "cocaine tapes" is the version of "Heroes and Villians". Remember, Brian would always leave the stage whenever the song was played in concert. So, why would he suddenly record a "demo" of it?

My version of "Heroes..." ends abruptly. I would assume that the original tape ended at this point.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx