gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680811 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 01:00:00 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Connections  (Read 6212 times)
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 26, 2006, 12:27:36 PM »

I enjoy discovering new connections between various artists, bands, and musicians.

I've been a fan of Frank Zappa and Little Feat for many years.  I've especially enjoyed the Little Feat allbum cover art.

No doubt some of you already know this but I'll share anyway.

Lowell George played with Frank Zappa in the late 60's.  Jimmy Carl Black referred to George by the size of his feet.  An Artist by the name of Neon Park did the cover art for Weasels Ripped my Flesh.

When Lowell George formed Little Feat he took the name with him for his new band.  He also Used Neon Park to design several Little Feat album covers.

So. How about you?  Got any neat obscure "connections" to share?

This could be fun in the vein of six degrees of kevin bacon Cool
Jason
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2006, 12:42:27 PM »

Roy Estrada was also in Little Feat and played with Zappa.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2006, 12:46:40 PM »

Most of this really isn't "obscure", but I've always loved the massive Byrds/CSN(Y)/Hollies/Buffalo Springfield/Loggins and Messina/Richie Furay Band/Mynah Birds/Rick James/Souther Hillman Furay/Desert Rose Band/McGuinn Clarke Hillman/Flying Burrito Brothers/International Submarine Band/CPR/Firefall/Spirit/Jo Jo Gunne/Heart/Rising Sons/Captain Beefheart and the Magic Band/The Seeds/Poco/Eagles/Ricky Nelson/Linda Ronstadt/Nitty Gritty Dirt Band/every band in the entire world interconnection.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2006, 12:49:47 PM »

LA is pretty sickeningly incestuous.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2006, 12:51:05 PM »

Aegir

That CSNY and family tree takes up much of my record collection :D
Beckner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2006, 01:19:37 PM »

Ive oft dug on the Black Sabbath/ Rainbow/ Deep Purple love affairs. But you all know that.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2006, 01:47:47 PM »

so make some connections for us...I don't know much except that Blackmore was still active recently and that Deep Purple went through some transformations....

I once saw Jefferson Starship perform featuring  former Turtles Drummer John Barbata and the warm up act was Flo and Eddie, formerly of the Turtles and formerly of the Frank Zappa band ............who once featured Lowell George  of Little Feat......(see first post on thread)

Jason
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2006, 01:50:36 PM »

Sean O'Hagan was a member of Microdisney, Stereolab, and The High Llamas and almost worked with the band in the late 90s. Bad idea.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2006, 02:05:22 PM »

The Misfits: Glenn Danzig, original lead singer, went on to form Danzig and Samhain; replaced by Michale Graves, formerly of Mulch, later of Graves and Gotham Road; Dr. Chud, formerly of the Misfits and Sardonica and various Michale Graves projects, formed Dr. Chud's X-Ward; the Misfits reformed with bass player Jerry Only on lead vocals; the reformed band includes Dez Cadena and Robo of Black Flag, and for a time included Marky Ramone of the Ramones. Their "Project 1950" album featured guest vocals from Ronnie Spector of the Ronettes and keyboarding from Jimmy Destri of Blondie, of which Debbie Harry was formerly in Wind in the Willows.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Beckner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2006, 02:11:28 PM »

There are many. In brief:

Dio was in Rainbow and Sabbath and then went solo. Jimmy Bain was in Rainbow and then in Dio's solo band. I think, Bain was in the first Ozzzy solo lineup with Randy Rhoads.
Ian Gillan was in Deep Purple and for one disastrous record, sang for Black Sabbath. Ritchie Blackmore was in Deep Purple and Rainbow.

Vivian Campbell was in Dio's band and then went and joined Def Leppard. Black Sabbath also had ELO's drummer Bev Bevan (I think that's his name) on for a tour  while Gillan was the singer.

Useless metal knowledge!
cabinessence
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2006, 02:26:00 PM »

Flo and Eddie  booked  Wally Heider Studios (many connections through that place) to record T Rex songs like Get it On under the supervision of Tony Visconti who'd later produce Iggy Pop who somewhere around this point was hanging out with former Zappa recording-artist Alice Cooper and Brian Wilson doing lines and singing Shortenin' Bread

Aynsley Dunbar drummed with Jefferson Starship AND with Flo and Eddie,  as well as Zappa, and Bowie, whose producer Tony Visconti was married to Paul Macca discovery Mary Hopkins who did a duet with David B. (who did a duet with John Lennon), whose costume designer was the mother of Slash, who was the product of an interracial romance rather like that described in the song Brother Louie, written and originally performed by Hot Chocolate who also delivered Mary Hopkins her last top twenty hit Think about Your Children, and who were given their recording break by John Lennon who liked their cover of Give Peace a Chance and had it released through Apple...John Lennon's girl friend May Pang would later marry producer Tony Visconti. May was rival for John's affections with Yoko who was backed by Flo and Eddie on at least one occasion...
« Last Edit: January 26, 2006, 02:51:57 PM by cabinessence » Logged
al
Smiley Smile Associate

Home again Home again jiggety jig...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2006, 04:04:29 PM »

my head is spinning..... Mary Hopkin also sings on Low of course.....
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2006, 04:21:54 PM »

This one's kinda boring, anyway...

Elvis Presley's bass player in the late 1960's-early 1970's was Jerry Sheff. Jerry actually played bass on the Doors' L.A. WOMAN album. And also on the follow-up (without Jim Morrison), OTHER VOICES. I don't know about FULL CIRCLE.

Also, his son, Jason Sheff, is the fine bass player/singer for Chicago, whose other lead singer, Robert Lamm, was married to Karen Perk Lamm, who was married (twice) to Dennis Wilson, who was married to Shawn...no, nevermind...
Beckner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2006, 04:32:17 PM »

Yeah, the less said the better on that one.
Evenreven
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2006, 02:51:23 AM »

David B. (who did a duet with John Lennon), whose costume designer was the mother of Slash,
Now THAT is the best piece of rock trivia I've ever heard. I will memorize it and use it to dumbfound friends. Grin
Sir Rob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2006, 03:02:00 AM »

Elvis Presley's bass player in the late 1960's-early 1970's was Jerry Sheff. Jerry actually played bass on the Doors' L.A. WOMAN album. And also on the follow-up (without Jim Morrison), OTHER VOICES. I don't know about FULL CIRCLE.

Also, his son, Jason Sheff, is the fine bass player/singer for Chicago, whose other lead singer, Robert Lamm, was married to Karen Perk Lamm, who was married (twice) to Dennis Wilson, who was married to Shawn...no, nevermind...

Jerry Scheff and Presley guitarist James Burton also play on 'King Of America', possibly the greatest album by the 'other Elvis' but billed, interestingly (or not) as 'The Costello Show'. 

In history, we painted pictures grim.  The devil knows we might feel that way again.
pavlos brenos
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2006, 03:11:24 AM »

Skip Spence: a common link between Jefferson Airplane, Quicksilver Messenger Service, Moby Grape and The Doobie Brothers................................
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2006, 04:13:24 AM »

Jerry Scheff and Presley guitarist James Burton also play on 'King Of America', possibly the greatest album by the 'other Elvis' but billed, interestingly (or not) as 'The Costello Show'. 

Then you can also connect Elvis to Gram Parsons and from there to all of LA, because Gram used much of the TCB band for his albums.  And his stuff was produced by Merle Haggard's engineer, and Gram wanted Merle, so now you can connect in country music.

Sun Records also is the source of many connections.  Think of it -- one man discovered and signed Elvis, Jerry Lee Lewis, Johnny Cash, Carl Perkins, Roy Orbison, and Charlie Rich.  And most of them toured together at one time or another.
pavlos brenos
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2006, 04:21:54 AM »

Has anybody heard the famed Sun Records "Million Dollar Quartet" sessions with Cash, Lewis, Orbison and Presley? I know Charly Records had it out about twenty years ago for a brief moment in time........
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2006, 04:23:14 AM »

It's been a long time....RCA released a CD of them.  Cash really isn't there, though -- mostly was a photo op.
koeeoaddi there
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2006, 04:44:21 AM »

the photos for the mighty Incredible String Band's Wee Tam and The Big Huge album were shot in Frank Zappa's garden.
my little photo is one of them.
pavlos brenos
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2006, 05:02:54 AM »

http://shop.elvis.com.au/prod396.htm
Cash, Lewis, Perkins and Presley: sounds like a good 'un.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2006, 08:59:31 AM »

Johnny Cash does not appear on the CD.
It's amazing. Buy it.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to: