gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680876 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 09:00:46 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Lucky Old sun review thread!  (Read 45248 times)
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: September 20, 2007, 10:11:35 PM »

begining of California Role reminds me of Winchester Cathedral, which is kinda vaudville, isn't it?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: September 21, 2007, 02:50:11 AM »

begining of California Role reminds me of Winchester Cathedral, which is kinda vaudville, isn't it?

I am reminded of "DW Washburn" by the Coasters (written by Leiber&Stoller) by that intro.
I agree that the singing is kinda like Al Jolson.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2007, 08:44:17 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #152 on: September 21, 2007, 08:43:18 AM »

I agree, it's very 1920s-esque.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: September 21, 2007, 09:51:16 AM »

Well then, "California Role" might be Brian's belated revenge on the New Vaudeville Band whose "Winchester Cathedral" stole the 1966 Grammy For Best Rock Song away from "Good Vibrations"!
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: September 21, 2007, 10:02:02 PM »

I've been listening to this thing all day, and I'm just in awe at parts of it.  It's very intelligently written, and like SMiLE has things going on in 5 different levels.  Here's just a few random thoughts I noticed while listening to it...

-  Along with the 'journey through the day' vibe of the movement, there's also a 'journey through Brian Wilson's life" vibe in the movement. 

- "Oxygen to the Brain" seems to come around at about the afternoon part of the movement... if it starts at dawn and ends in the early hours of the morning.... "Oxygen to the Brain" is about Brian's laziness and his whole quirky health-kick, slept through the 70's persona.... so essentially, in the day Brian describes in "Lucky Old Sun".... Brian doesn't wake up, fittingly, until sometime in the afternoon.  "Open Up, Open Up, Open your eyes".....  Brian sings this so tenderly in concert, wow!  He sounds flat out amazing on the parts near the end of the song, so expressive.  Not only does he sing lightly and expressively in his 'kinda falsetto' voice he has now, but he also has other parts where he shouts the song, and it sounds great!  He and his cowriters perfectly made a song that shows off his insane side and also opens up and gets soft and beautiful at the same time.  Great song, one of my favorites he's done in years.  The musical production on this is out of site, too, listen to the march going on in the background during the chorus. 

- "Live Let Live" seems to be an ecological song praising the beauty of California's sea, the lyrics are exceptional, I love this song.  Again Brian sounds great on this live, in my opinion.  They double a lot of the lines, but his quasi-falsetto weak whispy voice sounds great doing these light melodies in this whole entire piece.  It's kind of got a "Sail on, Sailor" vibe, and although I can't make it out completely it's got some really beautiful lines about the fish and the whales in the ocean, etc with Brian doing everything from sailing to scuba diving apparently, lol!

- "Mexican Girl" grows on you, and I suppose is a homage to the hispanic population of southern california.  The Mariachi Horns show up in the narration and then the song after it, as well. 

- "California Role" is great.  Obviously written by Van Dyke Parks, and the lyrics about how basically anybody can go to california and make their way is great... he's got something in there too about Rock & Roll with a wordplay thing going on about Roll/Role etc. that's just phenomenal. 

- "Forever She'll Be My Surfer Girl" is just majestic, think about the different things going on there.  One, he's singing about the girl in the preceding piece, "Good Kind Of Love"; Two, he's singing about his first love....; Three, he's singing a generic love song anybody can relate to...; Four, he's singing about the first ballad he ever produced, which drove him on to fame.... and it's all kind of wrapped up in the same damn song.  There's no black and white, it could easily be about any of those things, and kind of is all at the same time... kind of like life really is, no blacks or whites just lots of grays.  He's consistantly writing and has written songs that are 4 or 5 levels deep and mean different things to different people all at the same time.  That's no easy task, that's masterful.

- "Going Home" kicks ass.  Put in the frame of the movement representing Brian's progression through life, it kind of represents this current period of his life, with "Home" representing him rightfully regaining his position as a relevant musician, but also of course representing spiritually going home as he heads towards his impending death!  The acapella break with "At 25, I turned out the lights!" is just jaw droppingly good.  Admit it.  It's easy.  It's simple to point at, but Nada do deus it doesn't get much better than that, that is EXACTLY what we want to hear Brian Wilson say! It's incredible, frankly.

- "Southern California" is just achingly beautiful.  The main little melody and the harmonies in the chorus are nothing short of gorgeous, you can hear your heart break when you hear them sing that.  Brian's broken voice just makes you want to cry it's so perfectly suited for this song.  This is proof that used properly, Brian's current vocal range and condition is just as much an instrument as it ever was.  "In Southern California... Dreams wake up for ya" what a beautiful sentiment, how is it possible that somebody that has been through so much hell and loss in his life, can find it in his muddled mind to see something so beautifully optimistic?  Just stunning that he's capable of this in this stage of his career and life. 

Brian knocked it out of the park with this.  SMiLE holds precedence because of it's historical significance and it's creativity, but this song suite is just as valid and perhaps even more beautiful than SMiLE.  If you're the type of person that can make a good argument for the "Today!" album being a masterpiece, then I think you have to concede that "That Lucky Old Sun" is a masterpiece in it's own right.  Just stunning to me!  Such a great album, I cannot *wait* for the studio versions. 

« Last Edit: September 21, 2007, 10:12:19 PM by Ron » Logged
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #155 on: September 22, 2007, 01:34:38 AM »

I completely agree with everything you've just said, Ron. And I couldn't have described "Going Home" better:

- "Going Home" kicks ass. 

Enough said. This could easily become a "Wilson Classic", along with "Midnight's Another Day".

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: September 22, 2007, 07:07:02 AM »

I completely agree with everything you've just said, Ron. And I couldn't have described "Going Home" better:

- "Going Home" kicks ass. 

Enough said. This could easily become a "Wilson Classic", along with "Midnight's Another Day".

Yup! On the youtube video, you could see a bit of the narrative 'video' in the background,  I imagine the entire songsuite makes more sense and gets better if you have the appropriate video to go along with it.  I didn't mention "Midnights Another Day" above because it's pretty generally loved, no need for me to go back over it. 
kshane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: September 22, 2007, 10:03:30 AM »

Has anyone mentioned the music that the band is playing under the narrative sections? I started paying attention to that on the third or fourth listen. It's quite beautiful, reminding me of Gershwin in some parts.
eden
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: September 22, 2007, 11:01:11 AM »

So what's the clearest version doing the rounds atm?
I've only got hold of the first night and it's OK but could be better.
I've really grown to love the songs which on first hearing I didn't. "forever..surfer girl" is growing on me and I can hear "Good Kind of Love" sounding a bit like "Soulfull Old Man Sunshine", a really swinging tune. The groove on 'California Role' is also excellent, really groovy!
CWTL completely brings back the memories of the night and from that moment through to the end I'm just blown away. I still get a lump listening to MAD, every time.
'Going Home' is up there with 'Do it Again' as my fave Brian 'rocker', the 'At 25' breakdown going in to the harmonica solo had me in shivers on the night and it still does, it's beautiful AND it rocks, that's what I love about Bri's rockier tunes.
I cant wait (can't wait..) to see an official release of this, as a DVD-Audio in surround with the video's from the show on screen. How good would that be? I'm also really excited as to what Bri and band will get around to next. It looks like things could be getting really interesting (in a good way!! Grin )
carl r
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: September 22, 2007, 02:39:40 PM »

'California Role' sounds to me like something Elvis could've sung in Las Vegas - who'd have thought these tracks would all be so "big band" in a very unironic early 70s way ? especially agree with the comment about the background  music in the commentaries... really great stuff.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: September 22, 2007, 03:02:39 PM »

Well, Brian did record some tracks with big-band backing -- both the original Christmas album and the mid-70s songs like "Life is for the Living." He likes Sinatra-style stuff, too -- recall the lounge-y "I wanna be around" from Smile.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: September 23, 2007, 02:56:15 AM »

'California Role' sounds to me like something Elvis could've sung in Las Vegas

I'm sorry but I totally disagree. This doesn't sound like the stuff Elvis did in the 70s (not only Vegas) imo...
If you're talking about Costello, then I don't know.....

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: September 23, 2007, 01:22:29 PM »

Somebody asked what the clearest version is, mentioning that opening night is OK. I've found several versions of the opening night, there is an uncompressed WAV out there if you search...sounds very much like somebody had  a Zoom with them...

I've been listening to it a LOT. Everyone to whom I have played "Going Home"  loves it, though most don't hear the lyrics or realise their significance.

I think the only track that doesn't work in context for me is Mexican Girl...though I do love the ending and segue into the next section. As a stand alone song, I quite like Mexican Girl.

Otherwise Brian has proved again that he is one of the few artists who can craft an album...rather than just put together a collection of songs. You have to accept that SMiLE was putting together something that was almost complete...but this is new (or at least 90% new). Brian has done it again. He takes us on an emotional journey, and a journey through the decades...from 60's LA to the present day and his present state of mind. And he does it with songs...every one of which stands up on its own but the whole compels you to keep listening. THAT is an album. It is a complete work. And in this case, it is probably a masterpiece.

I echo the thoughts of those who say "I can't wait for a studio version". But I do hope Brian and co keep it pretty much as it is here..rather than padding it out to 45 minutes....a work is complete when it is complete, and TLOS is complete in my humble opinion. Maybe produce a multi page CD booklet (or vinyl gatefold) with images as projected in the stage presentation......then do a live DVD in the mold of BWPS before a special audience.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #163 on: September 23, 2007, 01:44:58 PM »

This just in - had a word with Scotty last night in Edinburgh: the song in "TLOS" that was originally "Wondering What You're Up To Now" is "California Role".

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
eden
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: September 23, 2007, 04:07:59 PM »

I've heard the Wednesday now and I think, apart from the digital ticks (at least on my copy), it's clearer in general but the balance of instruments/vocals and the 'power' of the sound isn't so smart compared to the mondays. It's much easier to hear the lyrics though and work out what the vocal harmonies are up to.
Interesting that '..up to now' became 'California Role', it reminds me of an Hawaiian version of 'Don't Be Cruel' in places Smiley
I feel the same as others about Mexican Girl - I can take it or leave it mostly though that 'L&M'ish chord sequence near the end, with the harmonies on top, really do it for me.
I was wondering whether 'Southern California' was always supposed to close the piece. Lyrically it sounds like it should have come earlier - dreaming, waking up, etc. It's a lovely ending though, sort of an epilogue to the piece.
XY
« Reply #165 on: September 24, 2007, 02:32:26 AM »

Sorry if this was posted before, but I hear the 1980 outtake "Going To The Beach" in "Good Kind Of Love".
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: September 24, 2007, 06:56:11 AM »

To me, after listening a few more times, the song that dissapoints the most is "Morning Beat"!  When I listen to SMiLE, I kind of get overdone with allll of the Heroes and Villians stuff which comes in a similar spot, I don't know why I'm never happy with the first proper 'track' of either album.  Hmmmm...

chris.metcalfe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: September 25, 2007, 01:11:23 AM »

One of several sublime moments last night in Birmingham came when Brian said, half way through the first half, ' let's sing Lucky Old Sun'... and they went into a 2-minute  a capella of the song, after which someone said 'do you really want to do Lucky old Sun now Brian, and BW said, 'oh no, we'll do it in the second half, that was just a sample!' The a capella was spectacular. Its true antecedent, and I'm surprised no-one's mentioned this, is 'Soulful Old Man Sunshine'.  In the full version, Mexican Girl totally took off (a bit like Fire in Smile live), so those who've only heard the tapes should reserve judgment. Brian fluffed his start of 'Midnight' coming in a bar ot two too early, but it only served to highlight an incredibly powerful performance, backlights against his white shirt, really just Brian and Scott with gorgeous harmonies. Ditto harmonies on the Southern California ending. 'Forever You'll...' really is a great song.

Other highlights for me:
- the greatest hits at the end, which seemed a bit perfunctory in 2004, were done with real passion and verve last night, and not overdone. Great theatrics from the girls from Stockholm (especially the larger one, hmmm), and BW's bass playing was great.
- overall BW looked so much better than in 04, totally with it (though what was that joke about 'China'??)
- When the strings came in for the first time in the evening, on the 'you know it seems...' part of 'Wouldn't it be nice', the Symphony Hall was awash with sumptuous sound in deep blue light
- 'Little Girl I Once Knew' - fantastic performance

I got a feeling this could be the last time Brian plays in the UK. I hope not.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2007, 02:05:31 AM by chris.metcalfe » Logged
absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: September 25, 2007, 03:50:48 AM »

I'm certainly not disappointed with Morning Beat, I think it gets things off to a flying start and if/when it is recorded for release this track will hook in listeners who aren't Brian fans.

From the recordings I'd agree that the "hits" package after Sun is performed with more verve than in 2004 - certainly on the recordings I have from '04 and the concert I attended in Portsmouth. Not that they were at all bad in '04, hell it got me dancing and I never dance, but there's more "umph" this time around.

And Brian isn't slurring any words. He sings them like he's enjoying them...and that's great to hear.
Count Takeshi
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: September 25, 2007, 04:37:47 AM »

I was at Manchester and just want to say what a great performance it was.  Brian's vocals have sounded great in the bootlegs but live they are even better. He's really putting everything he's got into this and it's great to see.

I guess Brian did the same China joke in Birmingham, which is before Little Girl I once knew he says "The first two notes sound Chinese but the rest is American," kind of funny because when they play the first two notes it does sound a bit Chinese.
He fluffed the start of MAD at Manchester too, but the intro is long and I didn't realise he had got it wrong until he said the same line twice.
All in all, a beautiful performance that I will never forget.

I do wonder about how much this tour has been promoted though because I got lost on my way and had to ask directions to the Palace Theatre. I spoke withthis dude for a few minutes and he asked me what I was going to see. I said Brian Wilson and it turns out he is a fan but had no idea Brian was playing Manchester that night or was even in the country.
If there is another tour over here, I hope they can reach out and let a few more people know they are coming.
chris.metcalfe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: September 25, 2007, 05:35:55 AM »

The promotional flyers for Manchester and Birmingham did not include the other dates, which implies that different companies were responsible for different parts of the tour - not a good sign. Having said that, Birmingham SH was pretty much full.

On a frivolous note, just thought I'd mention that while Jeff Foskett has slimmed down a lot since his surgery in 2004, Scott and Darian seem to have both put a lot on around the middle! Time for some H.E.L.P.? Taylor looked delightful and good-natured throughout.

At Brum BW simply said ' I dedicate this song to China' which was a bit obtuse even for the rest of the band.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: September 25, 2007, 06:39:17 AM »

I like your 'obtuse' comment, That's a good way to describe the way Brian acts sometimes...

on one of the SMiLE bootlegs of the live concerts, there was this great thing he said... they had this little game they'd play after one song, where Brian would ask the band if they wanted to go on a trip, and then they'd banter around a bit, and eventually settle on that they wanted to go to Hawaii! Then they'd sing Hawaii, see how funny that is?

So anyways, at this one show, they kind of started that conversation a bit, with Brian going "Hey, you guys want to go on a trip?"  but then they got sidetracked because somebody said something about Jeff's shirt.  So for about a full minute, they talked about Jeff's shirt and some other things, all the while Brian's quiet.  After what seems like forever, Brian says something like

"HEy! Hawaii's A Great Song We Could Sing!"
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #172 on: September 25, 2007, 06:51:16 AM »

Scott and Darian seem to have both put a lot on around the middle!

Maybe Brian needs to give them some health tips  Cheesy

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
kshane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: September 25, 2007, 08:33:46 AM »

Something that I don't think has been mentioned is that not only is Brian's singing voice much improved, his voice on the narrations is very clear with no slurring. I know they were pre-recorded, but it shows that he can do it.
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: September 25, 2007, 09:06:13 AM »

Something that I don't think has been mentioned is that not only is Brian's singing voice much improved, his voice on the narrations is very clear with no slurring. I know they were pre-recorded, but it shows that he can do it.

I thought Brian did a great job as well when he "voiced" himself for the Duck Dodgers cartoon a couple of years back; sounded a lot like his younger self. He reportedly had a great time during the DD recording session which may have convinced him to do the spoken word portions of TLOS himself.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx