gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680853 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 12:36:14 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Lucky Old sun review thread!  (Read 45246 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: September 18, 2007, 05:13:52 AM »

To be honest I didn't see the point of doing 'She knows me too well' (sung by Jeff), I know its a good song, but I'd rather hear Brian singing something else than just doing another track off 'Today' for the sake of it.

It's one of my favorite Beach Boys-songs, so I am very happy that it was played. Guess everyone has another opinion of it

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Jim McShane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 18, 2007, 07:23:13 AM »

Just heard Wedensday's show.  Much clearer, Brian sounds much better, and the addition of Taylor apparently much healthier and singing her parts makes it a muuuuuch better show. 

I gotta go find that... even the September 10th show sounds great, I can't imagine how good Wednesday would be. That excerpt from Can't Wait Too Long is utterly gorgeous. Even on the audience recording the harmonies are magnificent.

I wonder if we'll get many opportunities to see this show here in the midwestern USA.
chris.metcalfe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 18, 2007, 07:48:56 AM »

This might not be pertinent, but I get the feeling that the impact of this tour and work are being blunted by Brian touring so much between BWPS and TLOS.  At least a couple of the reviews seem to indicate that, as well as ticket sales.   But hopefully that won't prevent a release.  I think a good live recording would work as well or better than making a formal studio recording. 

As for the album, I have to disagree. I think that Brian's voice is just not consistently good enough. Granted, if it were a composite mix taking the best parts of each night, maybe it could be OK. But I don't like background audience noise, either.

I'd rather have a true studio effort. Don't misunderstand--not an overwrought one. I don't want the passion removed, or something slick and slimy like Imagination. But I think the band could very easily do their work in a couple of days (as they did with Smile), and then spend slightly more time making sure BW gets his parts down with both heart and accuracy.

... and yet the DVD 'live' version of Smile is the one I listen to these days - hardly ever the CD.
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 18, 2007, 04:43:56 PM »

I'd Love Just Once to See You, and others... on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/burner007

whee!
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 18, 2007, 06:59:05 PM »

While listening to my new favorite section:
"little bit of lovin,
a huggin and a kissin"

on the 2nd song...anyone notice a similarity to that?

it sounds a whole lot like the ending to Maxwell's Silver Hammer!

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
chris.metcalfe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 19, 2007, 12:52:15 AM »

From the clip I heard, I thought the start of California Role/Roll sounded like the New Vaudeville Band! But very 1967. Sounds like it has huge potential to be the best thing BW has done since about 1970. I'm going on Monday (Birmingham Symphony Hall - certainly before the RFH was refurbished, the best sounding concert hall in the UK - all suspended on rubber, apparently).
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 19, 2007, 06:32:52 AM »

Does anybody else think that "Forever you'll be my surfer girl" sounds like "don't stand so close to me" by the Police??
Yorick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 19, 2007, 08:33:08 AM »

Did I hear correctly that one of the sentences Brian sings is: "Every girl the next Marilyn"?
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 19, 2007, 10:50:22 AM »

Yep. As in Marilyn Monroe.
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 19, 2007, 12:39:46 PM »

I've listened to TSOL a few times and only MAD stands out for me, so far.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: September 19, 2007, 03:41:19 PM »

Did I hear correctly that one of the sentences Brian sings is: "Every girl the next Marilyn"?

I think the next line is "Every guy, Errol Flynn"
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 19, 2007, 04:30:01 PM »

Actually, I think it's "every guy, Rocky Pamplin"

Easy mistake to make.
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 19, 2007, 07:03:16 PM »

To be honest I didn't see the point of doing 'She knows me too well' (sung by Jeff), I know its a good song, but I'd rather hear Brian singing something else than just doing another track off 'Today' for the sake of it.

It's one of my favorite Beach Boys-songs, so I am very happy that it was played. Guess everyone has another opinion of it

No. I agree with you. Its one of my favourite Beach Boys songs too.. Very under-rated in my opinion.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 19, 2007, 08:31:09 PM »

So, as far as I know, this hasn't been answered yet. Is "Goin' Home" in TLOS the Paley sessions tune?

Not sure, is 'Going Home' doing the rounds with a different title, it's not on Paley Sessions bleg?
Parts of it were also very similar to "Rollin' up to heaven", minus the filthy lyrics!

I kept hearing "Rollin' up to Heaven" throughout the entire piece. In fact, one of the lyrics to part of a song is "Rollin' up to Heaven all day long". It makes me wonder if Brian has actually heard the song before.  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: September 19, 2007, 10:49:36 PM »

No. I agree with you. Its one of my favourite Beach Boys songs too.. Very under-rated in my opinion.

Don't get me wrong - I love the song! But partly the reason I like it is because of the way Brian sings it and to be honest though Jeff is a good singer i'm not really struck on his voice.

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 20, 2007, 12:09:50 AM »

For me the highpoints are MAD, Oxygen To The Brain and Southern California and the Been Too Long snippet also. These 3 new ones feel like 70s BW compositions to me and have that classic BW feel. The Southern California melody is really beautiful.

I like Going Home a lot too, and Good Kind Of Love is growing on me. I'm not massively keen on FYBMSurfer Girl, Mexican Girl, Live Let Live or California Role but I may come round to these and certainly when they're recorded in a studio I might prefer them. I must admit the mock English accent at the start of Califonia Role does my head in a bit and I wish Brian will sing this on the eventual recording, but I suspect it'll remain the same. Overall though the piece has surpassed my expectations and it's great to hear new and fresh sounding compositions from Brian. It has a really 20s feel throughout - I can't put my finger on why. Maybe it's the instruments used.

That boot of the 12th seems to be missing Been Way Too Long - has anyone found a boot that isn't missing this bit?

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #141 on: September 20, 2007, 12:30:53 AM »

"BWTL" is the underscore to a short video section of the Wilson Brothers - lasts under a minute, towards the end of the piece.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
harveyw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 20, 2007, 01:18:19 AM »

Don't get me wrong - I love the song! But partly the reason I like it is because of the way Brian sings it and to be honest though Jeff is a good singer i'm not really struck on his voice.

It's one of my favourites too, and on the opening night Brian sang it with Jeff (an octave below). It certainly sounded better with Jeff singing solo, but yes it does kind of defeat the object.
What I'd really love to hear is Brian singing another song off Today far more suited to his current register: In The Back Of My Mind.
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 20, 2007, 08:27:13 AM »

I must admit the mock English accent at the start of Califonia Role does my head in a bit and I wish Brian will sing this on the eventual recording, but I suspect it'll remain the same.

I like Scott's intro and don't think of it as a mock English accent-- it's really an imitation of the singing style that was popular in the 20s. The pronunciation is a little bit different, but it's more like early movie actors in the U.S. were taught to speak for the "talkies."

I like California Role, but I'm a sucker for that corny stuff. I even love Beatles songs like Honey Pie, too.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 20, 2007, 11:01:17 AM »

What I'd really love to hear is Brian singing another song off Today far more suited to his current register: In The Back Of My Mind.

I'm TOTALLY with you on that one.  Brian could definitely pull this one off with his current voice, and the band/Stockholm Strings could nail Brian's brilliant arrangement.  As much as I love "She Knows Me Too Well", Brian obviously can't sing it anymore (the singing down the octave thing he does doesn't work), so I don't really see the point of doing it in concert.  Jeff sounds great, but nobody can replicate Brian's amazing vocal on the original.

As for "In the Back of My Mind", you never know...I never thought I'd hear Brian do "I'd Love Just Once To See You" in concert, so there's always a chance!
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: September 20, 2007, 12:04:57 PM »

i think this set of songs are prolly the most non-meloncaly tunes Brian's wrote since 1967

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 20, 2007, 12:21:52 PM »

I must admit the mock English accent at the start of Califonia Role does my head in a bit and I wish Brian will sing this on the eventual recording, but I suspect it'll remain the same.

I like Scott's intro and don't think of it as a mock English accent-- it's really an imitation of the singing style that was popular in the 20s. The pronunciation is a little bit different, but it's more like early movie actors in the U.S. were taught to speak for the "talkies."

I like California Role, but I'm a sucker for that corny stuff. I even love Beatles songs like Honey Pie, too.

Yes you're right - this only occurred to me today as I realised there'd be absolutely no reason to sing a song about California in an English accent!

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
eden
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 20, 2007, 05:23:59 PM »

The legendary Dickie Crickets!?!...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PlhJOzH0gY

Grin
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 20, 2007, 08:07:48 PM »

[/quote] Exactly. I hear Al Jolson when I listen to it.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: September 20, 2007, 08:12:48 PM »

Has no one here watched Singing In The Rain? The Beautiful Girl segment is a perfect parody of the style Scott is singing in California Role.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx