gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681101 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 23, 2024, 10:50:37 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Lucky Old sun review thread!  (Read 45308 times)
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 16, 2007, 01:16:21 PM »

The one thing I can't tell in any recordings Smiley is how well the harmony is done and things, you can't really get a good judge of the mix and the different things that are going on.  I hope he releases a live version or a studio version of this, it would be great!  Some parts of the "Lucky Old Sun" harmonies just sound incredible but you can't tell exactly what's going on in the boots, especially at the end of "Good kind of Lovin" or whatever it's called. 
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 16, 2007, 02:22:40 PM »

Peter - There is already a live recording of TLOS floating around.

I'd HATE it if someone PM'd me a link. It would really make me glum!  Cry

It would totally ruin my day if someone PM'd me a link to that recording......

Mine too. Without a doubt!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 16, 2007, 05:20:26 PM »

Edit: Sorry just realised you can't post links to bootlegs..my bad  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: September 16, 2007, 05:21:56 PM by We'll run away » Logged

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 16, 2007, 05:31:05 PM »

"The Sun Keeps On Shinin'
He rolls around heaven above
A Little Bit of Lovin' and a kissin and a huggin
That's how they know it's love!"

Brian Wilson had to write that.  LOL. 
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 16, 2007, 06:05:38 PM »

Parts of it sound inspired by Van Dyke's "Song Cycle."
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: September 16, 2007, 09:28:46 PM »

Can someone Please Make me happy  Grin

Subtle. LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 17, 2007, 04:53:29 AM »

The recording I found is very clear, and all I did was one google search.  I can certainly make out all the lyrics and get the harmonies. It isn't professional but it is better than the SMiLE boots that were circulating in the days after SMiLE was debuted.

I've been playing it at work, and people here like it. I am still amazed by it.
Count Takeshi
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 17, 2007, 06:42:13 AM »

I've listened to the boot 4 times now. TLOS is magnificent, far better than I had dared hope it would be. 
On my first listen I wasn't totally convinced that Mexican Girl should be there but the more I listen the more it fits. I've also thought that maybe Going Home and Southern California should be swapped around

Anyway, I'm look forward to the Manchester show even more now I've heard it already.
XY
« Reply #108 on: September 17, 2007, 07:08:02 AM »

I'm probably the only person to praise "Mexican Girl" as one of the highpoints of the new work. There are so many great pieces in it, I can't get enough of it. I wish that some parts would be a bit longer, like a completed "Can't Wait Too Long", it's so good that I want more.
Count Takeshi
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 17, 2007, 07:43:26 AM »

Oh yes, that was possibly my only disappointment, Can't Wait Too Long is too short. I'm sure it was a great surprise for those that witnessed the premier but I knew it was coming and thought we'd get a little more than we did. 
Hopefully it will be longer on the now eagerly awaited CD release :-) For a standard 45-50 minute CD it needs something to be added. Speaking of which, I wouldn't want the extra time taken up by an extended Forever My Surfer Girl because I think it works better in it's shorter form.

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 17, 2007, 07:59:29 AM »

Can someone Please Make me happy  Grin

I like happiness. The happiest thing another person can do is to make someone else happy. Anyone wanna make me happy too?  Grin Wink
Steve
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 17, 2007, 08:40:24 AM »

the key to happiness is reading the board rules...
« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 04:02:07 PM by Jaymie's Dad » Logged
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 17, 2007, 09:04:10 AM »

I am so happy.  Grin Grin Grin
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: September 17, 2007, 09:47:53 AM »

*nothing*
« Last Edit: September 18, 2007, 01:32:38 AM by SloopJohnB » Logged

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: September 17, 2007, 10:10:38 AM »

This is ridiculous.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 17, 2007, 11:34:52 AM »

Wink
« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 02:45:24 PM by bossaroo » Logged
HighOnLife
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 17, 2007, 12:52:31 PM »

Don't any of you have any google-fu?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 02:20:22 PM by Pvt. Gripweed » Logged

"I don't do drugs. I am drugs."
Malc
Smiley Smile Associate

It's all about 'harmony' ...

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 17, 2007, 01:11:56 PM »

Hmmm - I fear too much publicity and the ol' Zap site won't be long for the world !  Undecided

www.facebook.com/beachboysalbumsleeves - a cool place to visit !
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 17, 2007, 02:35:39 PM »

This might not be pertinent, but I get the feeling that the impact of this tour and work are being blunted by Brian touring so much between BWPS and TLOS.  At least a couple of the reviews seem to indicate that, as well as ticket sales.   But hopefully that won't prevent a release.  I think a good live recording would work as well or better than making a formal studio recording. 
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 17, 2007, 02:50:56 PM »

This might not be pertinent, but I get the feeling that the impact of this tour and work are being blunted by Brian touring so much between BWPS and TLOS.  At least a couple of the reviews seem to indicate that, as well as ticket sales.   But hopefully that won't prevent a release.  I think a good live recording would work as well or better than making a formal studio recording. 

I do think the extensive touring is probably holding down sales--it isn't a once-in-a-lifetime occurrence to see Brian in the UK now. It's an annual one.

As for the album, I have to disagree. I think that Brian's voice is just not consistently good enough. Granted, if it were a composite mix taking the best parts of each night, maybe it could be OK. But I don't like background audience noise, either.

I'd rather have a true studio effort. Don't misunderstand--not an overwrought one. I don't want the passion removed, or something slick and slimy like Imagination. But I think the band could very easily do their work in a couple of days (as they did with Smile), and then spend slightly more time making sure BW gets his parts down with both heart and accuracy.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: September 17, 2007, 04:05:10 PM »

Curiosity killed the cat.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 04:06:17 PM by Jaymie's Dad » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 17, 2007, 05:02:16 PM »

I do think the extensive touring is probably holding down sales--it isn't a once-in-a-lifetime occurrence to see Brian in the UK now. It's an annual one.

As for the album, I have to disagree. I think that Brian's voice is just not consistently good enough. Granted, if it were a composite mix taking the best parts of each night, maybe it could be OK. But I don't like background audience noise, either.

I'd rather have a true studio effort. Don't misunderstand--not an overwrought one. I don't want the passion removed, or something slick and slimy like Imagination. But I think the band could very easily do their work in a couple of days (as they did with Smile), and then spend slightly more time making sure BW gets his parts down with both heart and accuracy.

I agree Luther, I would much prefer a studio recording to a live one.  Aside from the fact that I'm not big on live music, I think that especially in Brian's case, a studio recording will bring out the best in Brian and the band.  Too much gets lost in a live mix, even if it is done professionally.  Besides, this is Brian "dog ears" Wilson we're talking about.  The king of the recording studio.  As well as TLOS has been received, I can't imagine Brian not wanting to get into a studio to record it.  If the production is anything like on "Midnight's Another Day", I think it has the potential to be an amazing recording. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 17, 2007, 05:25:10 PM »

Just heard Wedensday's show.  Much clearer, Brian sounds much better, and the addition of Taylor apparently much healthier and singing her parts makes it a muuuuuch better show. 
carl r
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 18, 2007, 03:01:44 AM »

Want to add my voice to the chorus of approval here... went on the last RFH night on Sunday, loved it!

Brian's voice was much better than I'd ever imagined. I almost thought at some points that he was doing a great impersonation of The LovesterTM (on california girls for example)

Standout tracks on the night were "Sloop" and - of course - MAD. The snatch of "Can't wait too long" physically took my breath away. Lucky Old Sun's patches of brilliance are, well, brilliant.

I enjoyed the hits set at the end, perhaps not as much as the rest of the show.

A little comment: "she knows me too well" being one of my favourite songs, and being perfectly arranged on record, its hard to better this live, maybe they should think of an acapella version, or...

Great night. Hope everyone here catches this soon.
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: September 18, 2007, 04:18:48 AM »

To be honest I didn't see the point of doing 'She knows me too well' (sung by Jeff), I know its a good song, but I'd rather hear Brian singing something else than just doing another track off 'Today' for the sake of it.

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx