gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680876 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 08:41:13 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Lucky Old sun review thread!  (Read 45247 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: September 15, 2007, 08:51:22 AM »

Is the music all Brian?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: September 15, 2007, 10:16:05 AM »

Man, I don't like the new lyrics for Live Let Live. The Artctic Tale ones go so much better with the melody.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 15, 2007, 10:28:29 AM »

I suspect the Arctic Tale lyrics are actually the "new" lyrics.

My guess is that Brian and Scott wrote the original version in the summer of 06. Then the soundtrack came up, and they asked Van Dyke to take a crack at the words, making them global-warming themed. The soundtrack version was just recorded in May, I hear.
Peter Ames Carlin
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 15, 2007, 12:29:15 PM »

Clay: Did you see the show in London? Or are you responding to a recorded version?

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 15, 2007, 12:54:40 PM »

I had an extraordinarily quick round-trip flight on Monday night. (Cough, cough.)
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: September 15, 2007, 01:13:26 PM »

Peter - There is already a live recording of TLOS floating around.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
eden
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 15, 2007, 01:38:42 PM »

I'd HATE it if someone PM'd me a link. It would really make me glum!  Cry
Rich E P
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 15, 2007, 01:53:34 PM »

I would love it if someone would pm me too.  Pretty Please!
Billgoodman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 15, 2007, 02:33:52 PM »

ohhh yeah a pm would be great!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: September 15, 2007, 04:34:34 PM »

Just back from tonight's show - which was outstanding in all departments. One of the best BW gigs I've EVER been to.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 15, 2007, 04:43:01 PM »

Still no P Mc?
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 15, 2007, 04:48:03 PM »

Any surprises in the setlist tonight?
Any celebrity spotted tonight?

matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: September 15, 2007, 04:49:06 PM »

Well, i've just seen it and enjoyed it!
Not very good at writing reviews so just a few points really - the startup set was okay but was way too heavy on Today/Summer Days, by far the highpoint for me was 'I'd love just once to see you'. However the band was on good form, good rapport, the energy levels were high and Brian seemed to be in great shape too!
Brians singing was certainly no better or worse than when I saw him in 2002 and 2004, some songs were good, some not so but mostly good. 'Then I kissed her' particularly was well sung (I think in the original key), nice to hear some shouty Brian vocals on some of the songs too!
I'm sure my views on TLOS echo other peoples, TLOS is a good piece certainly, rather than a new rebirth it almost sounds like it could be Brians goodbye(?), overall it has shades of Smile, Orange Crate Art, Rio Grande and 1965 era Beach Boys, but a lot of the composition style kind of reminded me of 1980s Brian, eg: BW88 and Sweet Insanity (In a good way, and I like that stuff)
'Morning Beat' has a kind of Do it again feel (with nods to 'Walkin' and 'Shortenin Bread'),
'Good kind of love' is a nice pop song with a kind of retro 50s feel,
'Forever my Surfer Girl' was better live than the demo, in fact it really came alive for me.
'Live let live' was also enjoyable live, not sure about the words but thats only becasue i'm used to the other one.
'Mexican Girl' was a good romp (I'm sure Mike Love may have written something like this at one point!),
'California Roll' has that clippety-clop kind of trademarked Brian feel,
'Oxygen to the Brain' I liked mainly because of the galloping drums - good feel.
'Midnights another day' we all know and was good live.
'Going Home' is not the Paley sessions song, its completely different - sort of a standard Brian-blues (Do it again, Back Home, I'm Broke etc) but with some nice and unexpected accapella bits.
'Southern California', a nice understated ballad with good vibes (the instrument), sort of a bit Love and Mercy-esque in style, a nice closer.
Overall what struck me was how upbeat it was, not very ballad heavy at all with only 'Midnights another day' and 'Southern California' as the real full blown ballads. IF this was Brians last work (And I hope it isn't) it's a good one to go out on as it encompasses most of his styles and is autobiographical and would be his strongest solo album I would imagine.
If its an album (which it should be) I would not be averse to having more songs on there (choice stuff from the Paley sessions and other outtakes perhaps re-recorded like GIOMH but more cohesively), the overall 'theme' is a bit flimsy so as long as musically the other stuff was up to it then Brian could make a real sprawling masterwork!!

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
al
Smiley Smile Associate

Home again Home again jiggety jig...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: September 15, 2007, 06:28:46 PM »

It was indeed a brilliant show.

Just posted a full review which you can find at

http://s3.excoboard.com/exco/thread.php?forumid=31674&threadid=172164&page=5

but I thought Brian was operating on a much higher level than I've seen before. Really involved and having fun. I think he was even playing that bass this time. Great gig!
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 15, 2007, 09:24:13 PM »

"Good Kind Of Love" ----- "Forever She'll Be My Surfer Girl"

Is just magical.  WOW
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: September 16, 2007, 02:04:26 AM »

The background part to "Going home" sounds like "oh poopie..."   Cheesy

EDIT: Damn, of course it is sh it and not "poopie"  Smiley
« Last Edit: September 16, 2007, 12:16:52 PM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
aramelus
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 16, 2007, 02:37:26 AM »

Can someone Please Make me happy  Grin
MDC
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 16, 2007, 03:28:20 AM »

Saw the concert twice and it was fabulous. And contrary to what one of the rviews said, there was at least one grown man with tears rolling down his cheeks on opening night (from the snippet of Can't Wait to Long right through MAD. Various of the TLOS melodies have been popping in and out of my head since. This morning it was Southern california and I wonder whether anyone else hears Passing By in it? I'm just relying on my memory of it so I could be off-base or on the other hand maybe it's so obvious everyone else has already been commenting on it. Let me know.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 16, 2007, 07:11:48 AM »

I like how tender Brian's voice sounds in some parts, I don't even think he did that in SMiLE.  Not that this is better than SMiLE or anything, but I love the stuff towards the end of Oxygen to the Brain, for instance.  And of course MAD he sounds pretty tender in.  I haven't heard him use his voice so expressively on anything new he's done. 
Leo K
Smiley Smile Associate

I Have Lost Touch With The World

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 16, 2007, 08:49:39 AM »

I like how tender Brian's voice sounds in some parts, I don't even think he did that in SMiLE.  Not that this is better than SMiLE or anything, but I love the stuff towards the end of Oxygen to the Brain, for instance.  And of course MAD he sounds pretty tender in.  I haven't heard him use his voice so expressively on anything new he's done. 

Good call Ron, I hear this too...the "Wilson" timbre is really heard again... beautiful.
absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 16, 2007, 10:47:10 AM »

I'd HATE it if someone PM'd me a link. It would really make me glum!  Cry

It would totally ruin my day if someone PM'd me a link to that recording......
pendletone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 16, 2007, 11:29:41 AM »

Good call Ron, I hear this too...the "Wilson" timbre is really heard again... beautiful.

Oh yes, indeed! Some notes are a bit shaky, but then Brian pulls it of with "... made me feel so aloooone"... precious!
absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 16, 2007, 12:14:18 PM »

I found a recording on the web....and I'm just listening for the second straight time.

My god, TLOS is beautiful. I really hope it gets good audiences and that Brian records it...this must be recorded for release.

MAD makes me cry.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 16, 2007, 12:39:59 PM »

Yes. MAD is good on its own, but in the context of the piece, and with the band -- it's brutally beautiful.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 16, 2007, 01:02:16 PM »

I too would love to hear from any Prime Ministers out there...

“We live in divisive times.”
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx