gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680755 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 02:01:00 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Lucky Old sun review thread!  (Read 45227 times)
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: October 05, 2007, 06:47:24 AM »

I love the instrumental to that track, and don't mind everything going on, I actually think the lyrics are pretty good too.  I just don't have a problem with it.  I'm still not super high on "Morning Beat".  There's good parts but it's nowhere near as good as every other song (including Mexican Girl) on the set.

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: October 05, 2007, 08:44:24 AM »

I feel Mexican Girl really is the weakest point of TLOS. I only hope that the "glory hallelujah" at the end is drawn out a measure or so longer. If feels like it just ends to soon.

Heres hoping the actual recording is as sweet and entertaining as the boots. Tongue
absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: October 06, 2007, 06:15:00 AM »

Not sure what you don't like about Morning beat, Ron, but I do get what people say about Mexican Girl.

Lately I've been forwarding through Mexican Girl when listening to TLOS...not that I think its bad, I just find that my train ride to work is around 30 minutes long and I need to cut out one track and it's Mexican Girl that goes.

To be honest, I have to say, if Mexican Girl is the "worst" song in TLOS....that speaks volumes about the quality of Brian's new suite. Because Mexican Girl in itself is in no way bad...and some of the musical stuff going on underneath the vocals is very interesting.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: October 06, 2007, 11:53:04 AM »

Not sure what you don't like about Morning beat, Ron, but I do get what people say about Mexican Girl.

Lately I've been forwarding through Mexican Girl when listening to TLOS...not that I think its bad, I just find that my train ride to work is around 30 minutes long and I need to cut out one track and it's Mexican Girl that goes.

To be honest, I have to say, if Mexican Girl is the "worst" song in TLOS....that speaks volumes about the quality of Brian's new suite. Because Mexican Girl in itself is in no way bad...and some of the musical stuff going on underneath the vocals is very interesting.

I think you're absolutely right...I'm not fond of "Mexican Girl", but I would hardly call it a bad song.  The other songs surrounding it are just so good that "Mexican Girl" suffers by comparison.  And who knows, maybe a studio recording will make me like it. 
planet_jake
Smiley Smile Newbie

The hypnosis of our minds can take us far away.

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: October 07, 2007, 01:06:21 PM »

I'm sorry I'm so late to the thread, but could someone Please Make me a happy BW fan?

phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: October 31, 2007, 01:03:24 PM »

Having just listened to the Friends bonus tracks, it struck me how much TLOS reminded me of Brian's arrangement of Old Folks At Home/Ol' Man River.
doc smiley
Smiley Smile Associate

Timeless pounds the livin' daylights outta trendy

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: October 31, 2007, 07:36:20 PM »

having just recently heard the Birmingham show from the 24th of September.. it really makes me look forward to the studio version.... in the week between that show and its debut.. there is a noticeable change in some of the arranging, backing vocals and such showing that it really is still a work in progress....

sadly, the only track that still leaves me real cold is "Oxygen to the Brain"... ecck (IMHO)

"A voice or a song can be so comforting to someone who really needs it."
..................................Brian Wilson, 1990
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: October 31, 2007, 07:50:01 PM »

Re "Oxygen...," that's funny. Many people I've heard from rate it as one of the top three or so songs from TLOS.

To me, it's good. Catchy, kind of silly-sounding, but with some heavy content.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
doc smiley
Smiley Smile Associate

Timeless pounds the livin' daylights outta trendy

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: October 31, 2007, 07:56:01 PM »

Roll Eyes

silly sounding... and just a bit to much like Brian's early 80's Landy like material....

again  your opinion can vary.. its just imho

Roll Eyes

"A voice or a song can be so comforting to someone who really needs it."
..................................Brian Wilson, 1990
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: October 31, 2007, 08:05:09 PM »

just a bit to much like Brian's early 80's Landy like material....

I've had that thought.  One of those "I used to be bad off, but I'm better now!" lyrics that creep me out, actually.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
RONDEMON
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: October 31, 2007, 08:15:24 PM »

It's been more than a month and after taking a break from it, I find that TLOS is still a great piece of work, just like Smile was after I first heard the live versions. Different than Smile to some capacity, but really a strong collection of song. Some of Brian's best melodies. There are some great rocking parts and it's not as esoteric as Smile or even Pet Sounds. It almost reminds of Wild Honey in a way. Still conceptual but chilled out with nice grooves. Midnight's Another Day and Goin Home are IMO some of the most heartfelt song BW has sung in a long, long time.  The interludes are even great as well. Too bad the California Saga on Holland wasn't as captivating.

I'm very excited for the studio version to say the least. I hope they bring it to Boston, I think I could convert some non-BW believers especially that acapella section near the end.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 08:16:54 PM by oranjuly » Logged
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: November 01, 2007, 09:47:19 AM »

having just recently heard the Birmingham show from the 24th of September.. it really makes me look forward to the studio version.... in the week between that show and its debut.. there is a noticeable change in some of the arranging, backing vocals and such showing that it really is still a work in progress.

Yeah, I noticed that, too.  Actually, two weeks had elapsed since the debut and the Birmingham show.  That's twice as long as they had to rehearse the thing before the debut.  There are some really cool instrumental parts on the 24th recording that I never heard on the other two nights that I've listened to (10th and 12th).  My biggest complaint about the 24th?  Paul Von Mertins' flute noodling throughout some sections.  Some people don't like his sax solos, but all that flutey froo-froo is what gets to me.  There are flaws, both vocally and instrumentally, on all three of the recordings that I've heard, which is why I really want a studio recording and maybe a doctored live DVD. 
XY
« Reply #237 on: November 04, 2007, 12:24:29 AM »

I already know that TLOS will rank among my favorite BB/BW albums. I loved it the first time, but it even grew on me with repeated listenings. "Live let live" for example transformed from a song I didn't like at all to a melody I can't get out of my head. Simple-sounding but effective. "Midnight" is a classic, I don't know what it is that makes it so touching, but like "Still I Dream Of It" it has that special thing. If they would only add a complete version of "Can't Wait Too Long"...
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: November 04, 2007, 07:40:16 PM »

I already know that TLOS will rank among my favorite BB/BW albums. I loved it the first time, but it even grew on me with repeated listenings. "Live let live" for example transformed from a song I didn't like at all to a melody I can't get out of my head. Simple-sounding but effective. "Midnight" is a classic, I don't know what it is that makes it so touching, but like "Still I Dream Of It" it has that special thing. If they would only add a complete version of "Can't Wait Too Long"...

If i am in line anywhere "I've got a notion we come from the ocean" is often in my brain.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: November 09, 2007, 08:52:18 PM »

Yeah, after listening to if off and on for a few months, I really, really, REALLY like "Live let Live" it was a little bit too limp wristed for me before, but the new lyrics are just awesome.  He John Denver'd it.  John Denver was great at making songs with an environmental theme that were good, solid songs and not just lip service to his latest cause... "Calypso", "Rocky Mountain High", etc.

When Brian sings this song, you get a picture painted, and it's thoughtful, fun, youthful, expressive, very well done.  It's hard to make a song with a 'cause' that doesn't sound heavy and patronizing.  That part with the "Whales passing BYE" or "Waves passing BYE!" or whatever it is sounds great.  Plus, I believe there's a part in there about Brian scuba diving.  I'm not positive...  Shocked

I also think Oxygen to the Brain is a definite highlight.  It does sound like his 80's stuff, but I don't feel his 80's output was all disposible, it's an aspect of him, it's representative of that period of his life.  So when he sings this song, it kind of is that crazy 80's Brian peeking out at us.  If the whole album sounded like that, it'd be horrible but 1 song? I love it!  Can anybody catch the lyrics in the hook? Something about "Skip the Verse, jump right to the refrain!" or something.  I can't wait for the studio versions so we can understand all the lyrics.

I like both of these two tracks because they're upbeat and positive, great music. 

Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: November 09, 2007, 11:00:46 PM »

"Good Kind of Love" is my favorite song from TLOS, if for nothing but the catchy chorus and Taylor Mills' voice in the background.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx