gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:41:01 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Aren't You Glad" (early draft)  (Read 3372 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 04, 2007, 07:34:35 PM »

I'm not done with this yet, but here are some early workings on the Beach Boys' "Aren't You Glad." I'm doing it in my typical manner of covers: not going verbatim or reinventing, but somewhere in the middle. Slightly rearranging, mostly by mis-memories.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/2eq21i

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2007, 12:38:07 PM »

This is really great, loved the keyboard doodles at the beginning and throughout. Also like the piano/choppy guitar throughout and the subtley different chord changes you put in there.
When it kicks off at 0.52 it betters the feel of the original for me (I always preferred the live version to the studio one), I think you have been successful in freshening it up!
What do you use to record (equipment wise)?

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2007, 02:21:12 PM »

What do you use to record (equipment wise)?

A MacBook Pro with Digital Performer software. Then a tc electronics 4-channel interface (I almost always am recording alone, so I don't need more than 2 simultaneous channels, and often not more than one. On those rare but lovely occasions I'm recording a drummer, I usually can get it done with three or four channels, because I am not such a fan of isolating each drum. If I ever got that picky, I could still submix.). For keyboards I am using a now decade-old Alesis QS8.1. I gave up my old piano when I moved into an apartment for reasons of space and volume, and recently passed up a Hammond for the same reasons. For condenser mics I use ASM MK-319s, and I have a few SM57s and 58s around, of course.

I am really not an audiophile or gearhead at all. I'd record with pretty much whatever I could get my hands on. And in fact, I often have. Neither technology nor technique keeps my attention for long.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2007, 11:08:51 PM »

Thats a lot more equipment than me anyway! I have a bit of a skeletal setup, I use my tascam 4 track as my mixer for whatever goes into my old MAC G3, its a bit of a temparamental machine and won't put up with me trying to update it in anyway! I only have one mic (a beyer dynamic) but am not sure whether to get another one, I don't know much about them, would you recommend anything?

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2007, 02:22:55 PM »

I only have one mic (a beyer dynamic) but am not sure whether to get another one, I don't know much about them, would you recommend anything?

'fraid I'm the wrong guy to ask.

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx