gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680810 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 11:51:31 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Intelligent songwriting  (Read 3224 times)
bsten
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 20, 2007, 06:04:25 AM »

There was a post about You need a mess of help to stand alone. That song is clearly underestimated. It's always been one of my favorite BB songs. Yes it's kinda strange but at the same time not. And I guess that's the strength of Brian and the BB. Just listen to the ending of the song - how many different melodies can you find? The same with This whole world? Could someone please tell me what key that song is in?
Cheers
Bengt Stenstrom
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 11:12:08 AM »

There was a post about You need a mess of help to stand alone. That song is clearly underestimated. It's always been one of my favorite BB songs. Yes it's kinda strange but at the same time not. And I guess that's the strength of Brian and the BB. Just listen to the ending of the song - how many different melodies can you find? The same with This whole world? Could someone please tell me what key that song is in?
Cheers
Bengt Stenstrom

I don't have a piano in front of me but I remember jamming on it with Darian years ago and IIRC it's in G.  Anyone else?
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007, 01:11:50 PM »

Mess o' Help is indeed pretty firmly in G.

Bsten, if it's This Whole World you were asking about, well, that's one of the endearing things about the song, of course: every few bars, it goes into a different key area.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2007, 01:24:08 PM »

Mess of Help is one of my favorites as well. I actually prefer it over Marcella.
Alongside A Day in the Life of a Tree, it's probably Jack Reily's best shot at writing a decent lyric.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2007, 01:27:53 PM by phirnis » Logged
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2007, 01:33:37 PM »

Mess of Help is one of my favorites as well. I actually prefer it over Marcella.

Me too, by far. Not even close.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2007, 01:56:13 PM »

Bsten, if it's This Whole World you were asking about, well, that's one of the endearing things about the song, of course: every few bars, it goes into a different key area.
That one and Wonderful are just crazy.  Who but Brian Wilson could do that?
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2007, 02:15:35 PM »

Zappa did all the time. But Wilson did make it sound fluid and singable, at least on TWW. (Wonderful is kind of an awkward melody until you're used to it.)

Dr. Tim
Smiley Smile Associate

"Would you put a loud count on it for us please?"

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2007, 02:16:59 PM »

This Whole World starts in C, but doesn't stay there long (modulating to Am and then C#/Db and then all over the place).  It modulates back to C for the second verse (after "But when they leave you wait alone").
Thus:
C     
I'm thinkin' 'bout this whole world.

C............F....................Em7.......G....... Am...............F
Late at night I think about the love of this whole world.
A............F#m7......Bm7....E7.....C#m
Lots of diff'rent people ev'rywhere.
Db....Db/C.......Gb/Bb....Ab7....Bbm..........Bbm/Ab....Gbmaj7
And when I go anywhere I see love, I see love, I see love.

Bb.......................................................Ebmaj7                   
When girls get mad at boys and go, many times they're just putting on a show
Bb................................................F.....G
but when they leave you wait alone.
(From the Cabinessence pages)

« Last Edit: September 20, 2007, 02:20:49 PM by Dr. Tim » Logged

Hey kids! Remember:
mono mixes suck donkey dick
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2007, 06:55:48 AM »

Zappa did all the time. But Wilson did make it sound fluid and singable, at least on TWW. (Wonderful is kind of an awkward melody until you're used to it.)

Like I said, who but Brian Wilson and Frank Zappa could do that? Wink
You're absolutely right, of course.  Zappa was an incredible composer.  I'm listening to Peaches en Regalia right this very second.  Re: Wonderful, that melody and those changes had me hooked at first listen.  Incredible stuff.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2007, 01:04:43 PM »

I enjoyed Wonderful right off, but I can't say the melody was so intuitive. With a song like TWW, it almost didn't feel full of key changes--it seemed like a song you could sing along to right off. Those changes, to me, were more natural.

bsten
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2007, 04:16:02 AM »

Thanks for your replies. Exactly what I meant - Brian can/could write complex songs and still sounding very simple, like This whole world. It will probably take a 100 years till the music critics understand that... His "school" of songwriting ought to be in all schools of music.
Bengt
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2007, 03:23:39 PM »

Girls on the Beach, The Warmth of the Sun, You Still Believe in Me, (several songs on the Friends album), are some more songs with odd chord changes at the top of my head.

I don't think the Beatles did that as much, but I'd have to think about it. Perhaps Michelle, Good Night and Here Comes the Sun. Then again, I haven't looked at the chords, so perhaps there might be a better list of Beatles songs that are simple sounding yet complex.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx