gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:05:48 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: psychedelic songs by otherwise non-psychedelic bands  (Read 8114 times)
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2006, 05:39:27 PM »

Edge of Reality -- Elvis (sort of -- closest he ever got).

Best choice yet.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Chris D.
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2006, 05:46:25 PM »

I thought you'd agree. Funny how people peg Lynch as such a cold, distant, weirdo dude when he's the most traditionalist-in-a-good-way director we have.
Fargo served no other purpose but laughter at the haw-haw stupidity of the characters.  Northern Exposure was even better.
The Straight Story wasn't ironic in the slightest. When he shows people going to Heaven, HE MEANS IT! I love that. Straightness does not have to mean boredom, it can provide a most disturbing slant on the mundane when combined with a brilliant mind (see also Byrne, Devo).
If you dug Lebowski, I'll check it out (besides, Julianne Moore is my crackpot honey-doll).

To continue the digression just a little more...yes!!!  Lynch is all about the everyday and human, but since he doesn't always present it that way literally, people run away.

I agree, Northern Exposure was better and I hate that show (aside from the female lead).

The Straight Story is a perfect example.  The Coens, and most directors, spend way too much time trying to be clever to pull something like that off.

Lebowski isn't all bad.  If you rent a lot, pick it up some night if you're curious.  I think it's sort of their version of a John Hughes movie -- goofy fun -- which is why I like it and don't really care for their other stuff, which tries too hard to be deep from what I've seen.  Big Lebowski isn't as great as anyone will lead you to believe, but compared to their other stuff I think it's too silly to hate.  It's got some decent moments, but I will say this (and if you want to go on we'll continue in a film thread): I feel like a lot of new directors, even guys I like such as Wes Anderson, try too hard to write people as they think people are, instead of writing real people.  That is, they don't understand people for sh*t and are probably elitist scumbags.  It's painful to see how detached their views of people are, and I assume this is why you say they hate their characters.  They do.  I'm anti-social as all f***, but when I write fiction I don't set out to write characters I hate, no matter how much of a loser I create in the process.  You have to want to know why they're a loser and what their stance is on that.  People like the Coens see life as a joke but can rarely be funny.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2006, 06:05:01 PM »

The gospel has been spake. Amen.

monkee knutz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2006, 06:40:00 PM »

I have to say you hooked me with that Heavyarm stuff you sent me. I got all his LPs on vinyl now!
Killer! The Gourd is such an incredible poet. His Sundown LP is definitely in my top 10 fave LP's of all time. Bury it with me.
Here's an odd choice for bubble-psyche- a tough Boyce & Hart 45, In Case The Wind Should Blow.
This is one for all you Soft-Pop lovers. Unbelieveably, undeniably phenomenal. Discover.....
http://s48.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=34ALSFZMOYZAN1961B967CRJ6G
richardsnow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2006, 08:13:53 AM »

Silver Birch-Del Shannon

LaurieBiagini
Smiley Smile Newbie

Songwriter/Singer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2006, 09:59:13 AM »

How about William Shatner's "Lucy In the Sky with Diamonds", or "Mr Tambourine Man"?  That's pretty far-out if you ask me.  Grin

Check out my music on my website: http://www.myspace.com/lauriebiaginimusic
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2006, 10:23:50 AM »

How about William Shatner's "Lucy In the Sky with Diamonds", or "Mr Tambourine Man"?  That's pretty far-out if you ask me.  Grin
HELL yes.

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx