gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:11:53 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Did Brian ever use a Mellotron?  (Read 26424 times)
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: September 28, 2013, 08:23:02 AM »

What about the funky keyboard sound on "You're Still A Mystery"?  Obviously not a Mellotron or a Rock-Si-Chord...Andy says it's an electric piano...doesn't sound like a Wurly or a Rhodes...maybe a Hohner?

gee ... that's a tough one! when you get to the '90s, it really could be anything ...

It sounds like something like a Yamaha CP30?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYOVZlKmV5k

could be an early variation of a Hohner Pianet, but I think the Yahama sounds closer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX-H3M-kzIk

I hear a real piano and some kind of organ in the track as well. Of co-urse, they may have used a digital keyboard for all three!

Those CP30s are pretty cool. I've never owned one but have played some ... sort of like a second generation Rocksichord. The old Pianets are pretty inconsistent and finicky!

Thanks, Donny  - agreed, the Yamaha sounds closest.  And I'd like to think Benmont Tench is cool enough to use the real thing rather than a digital stand-in!  Smiley

How about the electric piano sound on "Sumahama"?  Sounds a little different than the standard Rhodes, so perhaps the CP30 or some other model of Yamaha?
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: September 28, 2013, 10:57:23 AM »

How about the electric piano sound on "Sumahama"?  Sounds a little different than the standard Rhodes, so perhaps the CP30 or some other model of Yamaha?

chorused guitar? I'm not sure I hear an elec piano in there, but it's been awhile since I've listened to it.

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: September 28, 2013, 12:33:18 PM »

chorused guitar? I'm not sure I hear an elec piano in there, but it's been awhile since I've listened to it.

Yeah, I hear that too, but there's definitely a keyboard on the track...played by Jai Winding, according to the AFM contract.  None of the musicians on that track got credited in the liners, except Joel Peskin...and this is definitely the L.A. version, not Mike's solo version.
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: September 29, 2013, 12:20:49 PM »

How about the electric piano sound on "Sumahama"?  Sounds a little different than the standard Rhodes, so perhaps the CP30 or some other model of Yamaha?

Yeah, I hear that too, but there's definitely a keyboard on the track...played by Jai Winding, according to the AFM contract.  None of the musicians on that track got credited in the liners, except Joel Peskin...and this is definitely the L.A. version, not Mike's solo version.

I can't really pick out any specific keyboard in the mix (which is pretty dense). There could easily be a Rhodes or CP30-type keyboard ... or even could be a Arp in the strings somewhere.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 12:27:40 PM by DonnyL » Logged

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: August 24, 2016, 05:30:37 AM »

I'm reviving this thread for two reasons...first, I've since seen the track sheet notations for "Sumahama", and the keyboard track is labeled "Rhodes" - so I guess that mystery is solved!
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: August 24, 2016, 05:44:31 AM »

My second reason for reviving this thread - I had the opportunity to hang out with the band a couple of weeks back, and as usual, I try to ask a couple of meaningful (from an obsessive-minded fan perspective) questions. This time around, I asked Mike and Bruce about this Chamberlin vs. Mellotron debate. I specifically asked them which of the two instruments the band used back in the day - and for what it's worth, they both easily recalled having recorded with the Mellotron, and didn't say anything about the Chamberlin. I've also seen a couple of track sheet notations from the era ("I Went To Sleep" is one that comes to mind) inscribed with "Mellotron" notations. So, whether it was a real Mellotron or actually a Chamberlin, it's clear the band referred to it as a Mellotron.

We were also talking about "Do It Again", and Bruce said the idea to use the stunted delay effect on the drum intro was actually Al's - he said Desper had the Phillips delay unit in the studio (he indicated it was a big machine, about knee-high in size), and Al said, "Why don't we put that on the drum?" - and so they did!
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 06:06:53 AM by c-man » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx