gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680855 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 05:56:24 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Did Brian ever use a Mellotron?  (Read 26971 times)
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: September 01, 2013, 08:15:56 PM »

Is that what Bruce plays on This Whole World?

No, I don't think so. Sounds like a real celeste or glockenspiel to me. The Fender Rhodes Celeste is shown in the 'Time to Get Alone' sessions footage on American Band (Bruce is in fact playing it!). It's basically just a Fender Rhodes without the full range (I think 49 keys) ... they just called it 'Celeste' for some reason. I suspect it's the Rhodes used on 'The Nearest Faraway Place'. Denny is playing a full 73-key Rhodes in the 'Don't Go Near the Water' clip, but this may have been a prop for the clip.

http://www.fenderrhodes.com/img/models/silvertop/pianoceleste-front.jpg

Also, where is the Hammond heard in the home studio years?

I might be making an assumption here, or thinking of the later home studio recordings ... could be the Baldwin through a Leslie, but I feel like we don't hear the Baldwin much after '69-ish. They also had a Clavinet by '69.

Is the harpsichord on Time To Get Alone the electric one or is that an acoustic? It has such an odd sound to it. Even the way in which it's played sounds odd.

I think it's an acoustic harpsichord, maybe two. The Baldwin really sounds kind of more 'electric guitar'-like. I don't really know for sure that they recorded with the Baldwin, as I can't think of any examples, but I know they had one that they took on tour in late '67 or '68.
They were already using the Clavinet on Friends.

I don't believe so -- I think you're referring to the Rocksichord.
I'm pretty sure it's a clavinet. It's got a different tone than the Roxi stuff on the rest of the album. It's only on the song Friends and It's much more audible on the SOT stuff.

I just listened closely, and yeh you're right -- sounds like a Clavinet (on the low notes particularly). Funny thing is, I think I might hear the Rocksichord in there as well (playing the role of upright piano) ... unless it's an acoustic piano -- it's too buried in the mixes to tell.

Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: September 01, 2013, 10:08:39 PM »

They really should build a Beach Boys mellotron. From all members one "Aaaaah" stop, one "Oooooh" stop and one with "dit"s. Cheesy

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Barnshine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 02, 2013, 10:08:11 AM »

You can hear mellotron on I Wanna Pick You Up (accordion sound, 0:54):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoYk2mgE8A8

Compare with http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXGGS3fW6_A (0:28, right channel)

c-man confirms it here http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,15495.0.html
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: September 02, 2013, 11:19:18 AM »

I'm just curious, on the Rhodes Celeste - Can we think of any practical reason why they would use this model, when it was basically a standard Rhodes with less range? Portability? The name is misleading, it suggests it would sound more like a Celeste but it's just a mini-Rhodes!

The link Donny just posted:

And I have a question based on my memory, not having the videos in front of me: Do I recall seeing concert clips of the BB's playing a Rhodes-type instrument on stage that had a blue finish? Or was this the grey sparkle "Celeste" model that I'm remembering?

If it was indeed a blue Rhodes model, was this a custom color?

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: September 02, 2013, 11:21:11 AM »

<<And I have a question based on my memory, not having the videos in front of me: Do I recall seeing concert clips of the BB's playing a Rhodes-type instrument on stage that had a blue finish? Or was this the grey sparkle "Celeste" model that I'm remembering?

If it was indeed a blue Rhodes model, was this a custom color?>>

I believe the Rock-Si-Chord played by Brian onstage at the Whisky was blue...
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: September 02, 2013, 11:23:03 AM »

No, I don't think so. Sounds like a real celeste or glockenspiel to me. The Fender Rhodes Celeste is shown in the 'Time to Get Alone' sessions footage on American Band (Bruce is in fact playing it!). It's basically just a Fender Rhodes without the full range (I think 49 keys) ... they just called it 'Celeste' for some reason. I suspect it's the Rhodes used on 'The Nearest Faraway Place'. Denny is playing a full 73-key Rhodes in the 'Don't Go Near the Water' clip, but this may have been a prop for the clip.

I might be making an assumption here, or thinking of the later home studio recordings ... could be the Baldwin through a Leslie, but I feel like we don't hear the Baldwin much after '69-ish. They also had a Clavinet by '69.

Is the harpsichord on Time To Get Alone the electric one or is that an acoustic? It has such an odd sound to it. Even the way in which it's played sounds odd.

I think it's an acoustic harpsichord, maybe two. The Baldwin really sounds kind of more 'electric guitar'-like. I don't really know for sure that they recorded with the Baldwin, as I can't think of any examples, but I know they had one that they took on tour in late '67 or '68.

You don't think there's a Baldwin electric on "When I Grow Up"? and the chorus to "Good Vibrations"?
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: September 02, 2013, 11:27:31 AM »

<<And I have a question based on my memory, not having the videos in front of me: Do I recall seeing concert clips of the BB's playing a Rhodes-type instrument on stage that had a blue finish? Or was this the grey sparkle "Celeste" model that I'm remembering?

That one I know, I had linked a few color shots of those shows with the Rock-si-Chord earlier, but my memory must be going bad here...I think it may have been the Central Park gig? Or another early 70's show video where either Bruce or Dennis was seen sitting at what I thought was a blue Rhodes type of instrument? For all I know, it may just have been this grey-sparkle Celeste thing reflecting some stage lights, but I wanted to see if anyone else remembers this or can ID it.

Were they seen on stage with the Rock-si-Chord without Brian? Or did that stay in LA?

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: September 02, 2013, 11:36:42 AM »

You don't think there's a Baldwin electric on "When I Grow Up"? and the chorus to "Good Vibrations"?

If i could chime in, I actually don't hear a Baldwin electric on either of those. I think Brian preferred "real" acoustic harpsichords which he could access easily in the studios, and there are so many sessions where he's playing one (or complaining about the bad action... Grin ), I think those tracks are pure acoustic.

The hands-down, most famous example of the sound of a Baldwin electric that most people would know is heard on "Because" by the Beatles, and if you watch this video the musician demo'ing an original (and rare) Baldwin Electric just nails that sound from the Beatles. You can hear it has a different "ring" to the notes than even other electric harpsichords.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztpraz85asA#t=131

EDIT: "Because" starts at 55 seconds into the video.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 11:38:46 AM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: September 02, 2013, 11:44:36 AM »

That one I know, I had linked a few color shots of those shows with the Rock-si-Chord earlier, but my memory must be going bad here...I think it may have been the Central Park gig? Or another early 70's show video where either Bruce or Dennis was seen sitting at what I thought was a blue Rhodes type of instrument? For all I know, it may just have been this grey-sparkle Celeste thing reflecting some stage lights, but I wanted to see if anyone else remembers this or can ID it.

Were they seen on stage with the Rock-si-Chord without Brian? Or did that stay in LA?

Central Park '71 was a white (or creme-colored) Wurly, I beleive.  Crystal Palce '72 was a black Rhodes.  Not sure if the Roxi was used at the Whisky after Brian bailed,but I doubt it.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: September 02, 2013, 12:49:24 PM »

You can hear mellotron on I Wanna Pick You Up (accordion sound, 0:54):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoYk2mgE8A8

Compare with http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXGGS3fW6_A (0:28, right channel)

c-man confirms it here http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,15495.0.html

Ah! I always wondered why the accordion sounded so odd there - not bad, just strange. Thank you for the info! Smiley

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: September 02, 2013, 02:35:25 PM »

Yes, all Rocksichords are blue. The Rhodes Celeste in the 'Time to Get Alone' clip played by Bruce kind of looks blue.

DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: September 02, 2013, 02:41:07 PM »

The Baldwin didn't come out until '66, so it was not on 'When I Grow Up' ... I don't think 'Good Vibes' either. To me, the Baldwin doesn't actually sound that much like a harpsichord, more like an 'electric guitar keyboard'.

Another thing to note when listening is that the Baldwin lacks the 'chorus' effect of an acoustic harpsichord ... it only has one string per note.

DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: September 02, 2013, 02:56:49 PM »

If i could chime in, I actually don't hear a Baldwin electric on either of those. I think Brian preferred "real" acoustic harpsichords which he could access easily in the studios, and there are so many sessions where he's playing one (or complaining about the bad action... Grin ), I think those tracks are pure acoustic.

The hands-down, most famous example of the sound of a Baldwin electric that most people would know is heard on "Because" by the Beatles, and if you watch this video the musician demo'ing an original (and rare) Baldwin Electric just nails that sound from the Beatles. You can hear it has a different "ring" to the notes than even other electric harpsichords.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztpraz85asA#t=131

EDIT: "Because" starts at 55 seconds into the video.

Are there any other true electric harpsichords? Unless you count the Clavinet, I don't think there were any others manufactured, though the Rocksichord (or RMI Electra-Piano for that matter) is sometimes referred to as an 'electric harpsichord', it's technically 'electronic' ... i.e., it's not electro-mechanical.

RONDEMON
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 02, 2013, 07:12:30 PM »

I definitely hear an RMI Electra-piano on the verses of "Add Some Music" and "Passing By."

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: September 02, 2013, 07:13:21 PM »

Are there any other true electric harpsichords? Unless you count the Clavinet, I don't think there were any others manufactured, though the Rocksichord (or RMI Electra-Piano for that matter) is sometimes referred to as an 'electric harpsichord', it's technically 'electronic' ... i.e., it's not electro-mechanical.

Check this Vox out and let me know what you think after hearing it, I'm copying and pasting the link to the video from another "harpsichord" thread several months ago:

Always good info in threads like this.  Smiley

For an A/B comparison, watch this video from earlier in 1967 of a TV appearance where the Vox version of the electric harpsichord is demonstrated and played in an arrangement seemingly written to showcase the different stops of the Vox. It looks like a similar chassis to the standard Continental, and the sound is very much in tune with the late 60's.

Note that is session man Neil LeVang playing the Gibson 12-string acoustic in the video. I'm a big Neil LeVang fan, and was *this close* (holds up thumb and index finger about an inch apart...) to buying that exact guitar when it was being offered for sale. I'm glad I didn't now, I'd be even more in debt, but anyway...

Dig the Vox and see if you recognize those sounds from any familiar tunes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3DxMX7xDy4

Then compare it to this demo of the Baldwin electric harpsichord from that same era which was used on Abbey Road:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ybi2T75pzk

And it's cool to see/hear how the Rock- Si -Chord (made in PA about 45 minutes from me, BTW) sounded in comparison. There was a bigger market for electric harpsichords at this time than probably at any other time, and smaller companies like RMI cashed in on the fad.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: September 02, 2013, 07:15:45 PM »

And I'd like to know what make and model harpsichord Darian is playing on the Wondermints' "Bali" album, he got a great electric-sounding harpsichord tone on that one.

DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: September 02, 2013, 07:21:53 PM »

Check this Vox out and let me know what you think after hearing it, I'm copying and pasting the link to the video from another "harpsichord" thread several months ago:

Always good info in threads like this.  Smiley

For an A/B comparison, watch this video from earlier in 1967 of a TV appearance where the Vox version of the electric harpsichord is demonstrated and played in an arrangement seemingly written to showcase the different stops of the Vox. It looks like a similar chassis to the standard Continental, and the sound is very much in tune with the late 60's.

Note that is session man Neil LeVang playing the Gibson 12-string acoustic in the video. I'm a big Neil LeVang fan, and was *this close* (holds up thumb and index finger about an inch apart...) to buying that exact guitar when it was being offered for sale. I'm glad I didn't now, I'd be even more in debt, but anyway...

Dig the Vox and see if you recognize those sounds from any familiar tunes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3DxMX7xDy4

Then compare it to this demo of the Baldwin electric harpsichord from that same era which was used on Abbey Road:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ybi2T75pzk

And it's cool to see/hear how the Rock- Si -Chord (made in PA about 45 minutes from me, BTW) sounded in comparison. There was a bigger market for electric harpsichords at this time than probably at any other time, and smaller companies like RMI cashed in on the fad.

yeh I remember that post!

I think that's electronic as well ... not electro-mechanical. The Baldwin and Hohner Clavinet are the only electro-mechanical harpsichord-type instruments that I'm aware of having ever been made ... the others (including the Rocksichord and Vox) are basically akin to a 'Harpsi' or 'Sustain' tab on a transistor organ, though of a much more refined quality ... OR, later on, digital.

The 'problem' with Baldwin and Clavinet is that they don't have the chorus-type sound of a real harpsichord, as it would just take too many strings on a 'portable' instrument. So really, a harpsichord has never really been 'electrified'.

The Chamberlin actually had a sample of the Baldwin Elec. Harpsichord as well (labeled only 'Electric Harpsichord') -- that's a unique sound! (I used it on that album I sent you -- the outro to the first track!). Since the Beach Boys had a Chamberlin (and possibly a Mellotron as well), it really muddies the waters as far as identifying what was used where!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 07:25:23 PM by DonnyL » Logged

DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: September 02, 2013, 07:24:31 PM »

I definitely hear an RMI Electra-piano on the verses of "Add Some Music" and "Passing By."

Rocksichord ... the Electra-Piano includes a Harpsichord section that has only a couple options, whereas a Rocksichord has a lot more tabs on it. They sound similar but not the same.

RMI did in fact release a model 600A later on, 'Electra Piano and Rocksichord', but I've never seen any indication that the Beach Boys used one. They had a model 200A.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: September 02, 2013, 07:36:00 PM »

The Chamberlin actually had a sample of the Baldwin Elec. Harpsichord as well (labeled only 'Electric Harpsichord') -- that's a unique sound! (I used it on that album I sent you -- the outro to the first track!). Since the Beach Boys had a Chamberlin (and possibly a Mellotron as well), it really muddies the waters as far as identifying what was used where!

Great stuff! I'll give it a listen. They definitely don't make it easy to ID these things, do they?  Grin

Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 02, 2013, 07:53:38 PM »

I tend to think the harpsichord on When I Grow Up is just a good old fashioned harpsichord.
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 02, 2013, 07:59:35 PM »

Yeah, i don't hear anything but an acoustic harpsichord on any of the Western/Sunset/Gold Star era stuff.

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: September 02, 2013, 08:03:36 PM »

Great stuff! I'll give it a listen. They definitely don't make it easy to ID these things, do they?  Grin

One thing that helps is when the track sheets are labeled as "Roxi" or "RMI"...assuming they're labeled correctly!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 08:12:28 PM by c-man » Logged
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: September 04, 2013, 09:45:40 PM »

What about the funky keyboard sound on "You're Still A Mystery"?  Obviously not a Mellotron or a Rock-Si-Chord...Andy says it's an electric piano...doesn't sound like a Wurly or a Rhodes...maybe a Hohner?
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: September 04, 2013, 10:22:07 PM »

What about the funky keyboard sound on "You're Still A Mystery"?  Obviously not a Mellotron or a Rock-Si-Chord...Andy says it's an electric piano...doesn't sound like a Wurly or a Rhodes...maybe a Hohner?

gee ... that's a tough one! when you get to the '90s, it really could be anything ...

It sounds like something like a Yamaha CP30?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYOVZlKmV5k

could be an early variation of a Hohner Pianet, but I think the Yahama sounds closer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX-H3M-kzIk

I hear a real piano and some kind of organ in the track as well. Of course, they may have used a digital keyboard for all three!

Those CP30s are pretty cool. I've never owned one but have played some ... sort of like a second generation Rocksichord. The old Pianets are pretty inconsistent and finicky!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 10:33:05 PM by DonnyL » Logged

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: September 05, 2013, 04:17:25 AM »

What about the funky keyboard sound on "You're Still A Mystery"?  Obviously not a Mellotron or a Rock-Si-Chord...Andy says it's an electric piano...doesn't sound like a Wurly or a Rhodes...maybe a Hohner?

gee ... that's a tough one! when you get to the '90s, it really could be anything ...

It sounds like something like a Yamaha CP30?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYOVZlKmV5k

could be an early variation of a Hohner Pianet, but I think the Yahama sounds closer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX-H3M-kzIk

I hear a real piano and some kind of organ in the track as well. Of course, they may have used a digital keyboard for all three!

Those CP30s are pretty cool. I've never owned one but have played some ... sort of like a second generation Rocksichord. The old Pianets are pretty inconsistent and finicky!

Thanks, Donny  - agreed, the Yamaha sounds closest.  And I'd like to think Benmont Tench is cool enough to use the real thing rather than a digital stand-in!  Smiley
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx