gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680844 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 26, 2024, 08:48:53 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Did Brian ever use a Mellotron?  (Read 26958 times)
chris.metcalfe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 29, 2007, 10:59:50 AM »

I was reading a discussion about Mellotrons recently, and had a complete mental block as to whether BW (or the BBs generally) had ever used one. Can't remember seeing a reference.

Given that the Beatles were using it on Strawberry Fields, November 1966, Brian's creative peak era, I'm surprised if not. Maybe it's a UK vs US thing?
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007, 12:39:34 PM »

During that period Brian was into the organ - I don't believe he ever used a mellotron, although he obviously did (later) use synthesizers.  I just wish he had used the water sounds mellotron (keyboard tied to tape loops, which is basically what the mellotron was) that Desper created for him on a song!
SG7
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2007, 12:55:17 PM »

Wasn't that for "Cool, Cool Water" if I remember....
roll plymouth rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007, 01:28:06 PM »

there is a piano/synth museum in calgary, canada (where i live)..and next to the mellotron, they have a promotional mellotron poster from the late 60's/early 70's listing all the groups who use the instrument and the beach boys are listed on it. so based on that, i am going to go ahead and say that yes, they did use a mellotron at one point or another.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2007, 03:16:12 PM »

Neither Brian nor The Beach Boys ever used a Mellotron. Chamberlain (or however you spell the damn thing), yes, but not a Mellotron.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
harveyw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2007, 03:18:04 PM »

He certainly used a tape based keyboard in the late 60s; it's best heard on Country Air, producing that fluctuating buzzing sound audible in between the first & second verses. However, I think this was probably a Chamberlin unit, the US-designed device upon which the Mellotron was -ahem- "based".
More on the Chamberlin here:
http://www.kleonard.com/mellotron/mellotronia/MusicMaster.htm
http://www.hollowsun.com/vintage/chamberlin/index.html
roll plymouth rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2008, 01:54:30 PM »

Just stumbled upon this....the Beach Boys are right there on the list of endorsements!

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2008, 02:23:31 PM »

True, they are... but can you point to even one released or unreleased BB track and say "Mellotron" ?  It had a very distinctive sound (e.g. "Knights In White Satin") and I don't hear that anywhere in the BB canon. Brian & the Boys certainly used a Chamberlain, which is mechanically similar, but I'd bet fairly heavily against their having ever used a mellotron. The AFM sheets don't mention it, nor does Steve Desper, or anyone else. But in the interests of fairness, I'lla sk around.

Dr. Tim
Smiley Smile Associate

"Would you put a loud count on it for us please?"

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2008, 02:56:05 PM »

Maybe the BB never used a mellotron, but I got to play one for a recording project.  They're fun.  And fragile.  The sound they put out is monophonic (the way they're used on Strawberry Fields and Fool On the Hill).   For that big orchestral Moody Blues/Genesis/King Crimson sound you have to "flange" the mellotron output track into stereo with tape echo or digital delay.

Hey kids! Remember:
mono mixes suck donkey dick
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

Maintain Dynamics - Keep Peaks below 100%

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2008, 05:30:57 PM »

I was reading a discussion about Mellotrons recently, and had a complete mental block as to whether BW (or the BBs generally) had ever used one. Can't remember seeing a reference.

Given that the Beatles were using it on Strawberry Fields, November 1966, Brian's creative peak era, I'm surprised if not. Maybe it's a UK vs US thing?

The operative word here is "use."  I know that the BB are familiar with the Mellotron and played one while at Abby Road Studios in London.  Brian was back in the USA at the time. He could well have played one in the course of things.  So if you mean, did any of the Beach Boys ever play a Mellotron, the answer is yes.  But if you mean, did they ever record tracks using a Mellotron, to the best of my knowledge, no.

If my memory serves me, you could rent one in Hollywood from Studio Instrument Rentals, but the Mellotron was never very reliable and thus could not be counted on to be a source of sound for a session.  The US made Chamberlin used the same operating principle, but was better built and usually worked when you wanted it to.

As you may know, The Beach Boys bought two units and used a modified one for some preliminary sessions of Cool Cool Water.  However, the final sounds of water drops used in that recording were made on a MOOG synthesizer, played by Paul Beaver.
  ~swd
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2008, 08:35:29 PM »

Wasn't it used on Cabinessence (BWPS)? I know it was used during performances of it.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

Maintain Dynamics - Keep Peaks below 100%

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2008, 11:57:30 AM »

Wasn't it used on Cabinessence (BWPS)? I know it was used during performances of it.

Not that I know of ... but then, I don't pretend to know everything.  Sometimes you fans have the inside scoop! ~swd
audiodrome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2008, 01:19:01 PM »

The Chamberlin was rare enough in Hollywood back in the mid to late '60s but the Mellotron was even rarer. I can't think of any recordings made in LA (1966-1968) that feature the Mellotron. Curt Boettcher used the Chamberlin on a lot of the Ballroom and Millennium recordings. Gary Paxton had one at his home studio and you can hear it on Jan & Dean's Save It For A Rainy Day LP and a few rare folk-rock recordings by the Gosdin Brothers among others.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 01:21:44 PM by audiodrome » Logged

Paul
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2008, 05:38:49 PM »

I noticed you specifically noted BRIAN WILSON PRESENTS SMiLE for use of the mellotron, but I just don't know where it would be used on "Cabinessence". The verses utilize piano, banjo, melodica, harmonica and cello. The chorus adds fuzz bass, percussion and guitar. The coda uses a "sitar/sarod/banjo"-sounding instrument, piano, harmonica, violin, fuzz bass, percussion and plucked guitar strings for added percussion. That's what I'm hearing anyway and I'm pretty sure the same instruments were used live (fake piano, of course, and the "sitar/sarod/banjo" part was eliminated).

Are you confusing the melodica with a mellotron?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 05:43:20 PM by Roger Ryan » Logged
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2008, 06:49:41 PM »

Isn't the banjo / sarod part two different instruments - actually a banjo and sarod calling-and-responsing? I thought it was supposed to be an "East-meets-West" thing that reflected the lyrics? It is two separate instruments on the original, right?
dude ll doo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2008, 07:07:30 AM »

Possibly used on stage?
Just throwing it out there.
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2008, 07:19:33 AM »

Possibly used on stage?

I didn't see one on stage (didn't hear one, either) at the performance of BWPS in Madison, WI in 2004.
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2008, 07:37:32 AM »

Isn't the banjo / sarod part two different instruments - actually a banjo and sarod calling-and-responsing? I thought it was supposed to be an "East-meets-West" thing that reflected the lyrics? It is two separate instruments on the original, right?

Yes, I believe so. I only referred to the instruments as one to cover all the bases since I'm still not sure if it really is an official "sarod" on the original or if it's a combination of two other instruments (does someone have a session sheet on this one?). I am pretty certain, however, that there is no mellotron on either the original or the BWPS remake. I can also add that I did not see nor hear a mellotron during either of the two SMiLE performances I saw in 2004/2005.
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2008, 07:43:33 AM »

Two different instruments playing two completely different parts.  The Banjo is playing a little counter melody, and the Indian sounding instrument is droning.

The coda uses a "sitar/sarod/banjo"-sounding instrument, piano, harmonica, violin, fuzz bass, percussion and plucked guitar strings for added percussion. That's what I'm hearing anyway and I'm pretty sure the same instruments were used live (fake piano, of course, and the "sitar/sarod/banjo" part was eliminated).

The banjo is present in the coda on BWPS, but I don't hear the Indian sounding instrument.
dude ll doo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2008, 07:45:31 AM »

Possibly used on stage?

I didn't see one on stage (didn't hear one, either) at the performance of BWPS in Madison, WI in 2004.

No,no...i'm talking like back in the day...that Mellotron advert has gotta be what, early '70's?
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2008, 08:51:15 AM »

Two different instruments playing two completely different parts.  The Banjo is playing a little counter melody, and the Indian sounding instrument is droning.

Right. I thought that the banjo played the first few measures, then the "sarod" played the same part for the next few, etc. I'll have to listen again. I wonder where I got that from?
brianc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2008, 09:05:47 AM »

I'd love to have a compilation of Brian Wilson's early '70s Moog backing tracks. It's a niche market wet dream, and will never happen, but god what a cool thing that would be. Some of them (like "Sweet Mountain" and "Tennessee Waltz") were full-on synthesizer masterpieces, whereas, others just have a part here or there, but hearing them all in one place would be amazing.

I was trying to think last night if L.A. had anyone like Kraftwerk during the '70s, that really captured the SoCal industrialism and highway system using cold synthesizers. I couldn't think of anyone, except that Brian and Carl's use of the Moog had a warmth that was really indicative of the climate here.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2008, 10:14:08 AM »

Possibly used on stage?

No,no...i'm talking like back in the day...that Mellotron advert has gotta be what, early '70's?

Looks like the concensus is that The BB never used a Mellotron, period, live or in the studio. Strikes me that advert could be charitably described as 'misleading'.

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2008, 10:42:55 AM »

i was pretty sure Scotty Bennet played it at the Smile shows....check the dvd.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2008, 11:11:29 AM »

i was pretty sure Scotty Bennet played it at the Smile shows....check the dvd.

Why use a Mellotron when you've got a Kurzweil ?

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx