gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680813 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 04:42:18 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: HA HA HA  (Read 5004 times)
Chris D.
« on: January 25, 2006, 08:31:45 PM »

Pitchfork:

Weezer Members to Play Velvet Underground in Film

Matthew Solarski and Amy Phillips report:
As obvious heirs to the Velvet Underground's cultural legacy, two dudes from Weezer have been selected to portray members of the VU in the forthcoming Edie Sedgwick biopic Factory Girl. Weezer guitarist Brian Bell will put on his best Lou Reed swagger, while =w= drummer Patrick Wilson will attempt to invoke a John Cale cool in the George Hickenlooper-directed film, currently in production.

What's more, Bell and Wilson have recorded a new version of the classic VU track "Heroin", to be used in Factory Girl. Bell sings, while Wilson rocked the kit for the recording (VU drummer Moe Tucker, however, will be portrayed by Hole/Mötley Crüe/Eagles of Death Metal stickswoman Samantha Maloney in Factory Girl).

"Working on this project with Pat [Wilson] was a blast," Bell revealed on Weezer's official website. "There was no premeditated plan, no rehearsal, there was barely even a discussion of how to approach this seven minute ride-the lessons learned and the experience of recording-proved to be invaluable."

Seems like the Weezer boys are feeling pretty good about their try at "Heroin". "[Moe] Tucker did have an amazing feel," Bell said, "but she was no Pat, and Pat pulled out an ‘Only In Dreams' type crescendo that I think makes that aspect of the song better."

Wait a second. Did he just say that the guy who played on "Beverly Hills" does a better "Heroin" than Moe Tucker? Good lord, is this man confused.

Bell continued, "maybe we might help turn a new generation on to this amazing art rock band and change the perspectives of a few unknowing listeners. If your music has steered too far from the aesthetic of the Velvet Underground you have to ask yourself, ‘What the hell am I trying to do?'"

Um, dude? Maybe you forgot, but you're in WEEZER. What the hell are YOU trying to do?

Weezer's not the first rock act to play the Velvet Underground on the silver screen. Yo La Tengo did so previously in the 1996 Mary Harron-directed drama I Shot Andy Warhol.

Factory Girl tells the tale of Edie Sedgwick's meeting with Andy Warhol and her subsequent rise and fall in the 1960s New York scene. Sienna Miller (Casanova, Alfie, Layer Cake) plays Sedgwick and Guy Pearce (Memento, Two Brothers, The Count of Monte Cristo) is Warhol. The film also stars darksider Hayden Christensen (Star Wars Episode II and III), "Saturday Night Live"'s Jimmy Fallon, and relative newcomer Meredith Ostrom as Nico.

Patrick Wilson weighed in on the film's potential on his blog, stating, "the script is sweet and confidence is high that this movie wont [sic] suck."

Apparently the real Lou Reed thinks otherwise. "I read that script," Reed candidly told the New York Daily News. "It's one of the most disgusting, foul things I've seen - by any illiterate mentally handicapped person - in a long time. There's no limit to how low some people will go to write something to make money."
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2006, 08:35:43 PM »

I'd have edited the quote to this.

Apparently the real Lou Reed thinks otherwise. "I read that script," Reed candidly told the New York Daily News. "It's one of the most disgusting, foul things I've seen - by any illiterate mentally handicapped person - in a long time. There's no limit to how low some people will go to write something to make money."

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2006, 08:36:59 PM »

"I read that script," Reed candidly told the New York Daily News. "It's one of the most disgusting, foul things I've seen - by any illiterate mentally handicapped person - in a long time. There's no limit to how low some people will go to write something to make money."

And, ladies and gentlemen, that's an example of why I will always love Lou Reed.

As for the rest of it, they should call it the P.U., not the V.U. Foda that merda.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Chris D.
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2006, 08:39:59 PM »

Doesn't affect me either way, but Ian, that one was for you  Tongue  Too bad it wasn't Stipe and Mike Mills.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2006, 08:42:07 PM »

Thanks, man!  Grin
I could actually deal with Mills and Stipe. They'd at least have some sense of proper fodain' respect.

Chance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2006, 09:22:02 PM »

And I thought this was going to be about the Flipper song.
Chris D.
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2006, 09:27:19 PM »

Is your avatar Moe Tucker or Keith Richards?
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2006, 09:39:30 PM »

I looked at this for so long; I can't see any difference between it and the actual quote.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2006, 09:40:34 PM »

Heh heh.

no
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2006, 12:25:35 AM »

I looked at this for so long; I can't see any difference between it and the actual quote.

I believe he meant editing the entire Pitchfork article/quote to show only Lou's quote.
Evenreven
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2006, 04:45:50 AM »

Side-note: anyone besides me think that Yo La Tengo did a good job as VU in I Shot Andy Warhol? I thought it was pretty good. I haven't seen it in many years, though.
Chance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2006, 10:30:41 AM »

Is your avatar Moe Tucker or Keith Richards?
Moe.
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2006, 06:29:19 PM »

I thought it was Gene Clark!

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
no
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2006, 06:59:42 PM »

And I thought it was Paul Westerburg.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2006, 07:43:19 PM »

I figured it was some British person from the 60s and left it at that.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2006, 08:22:40 PM »

I believe he meant editing the entire Pitchfork article/quote to show only Lou's quote.

Ding ding ding.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx