gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:45:22 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys: An Authorized Biography by Byron Preiss (1979)  (Read 6591 times)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« on: November 07, 2015, 05:01:17 PM »

The Beach Boys: An Authorized Biography by Byron Preiss (1979)

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2015, 07:43:51 AM »

This was the first book about The Beach Boys I ever read. Don't let the "authorized" tag fool you. The Beach Boys were never ones to hold back opinions, and there are quotes from the guys in this book that I've still never seen elsewhere (the story of the breakdown of SMiLE depicted here, for example, is one that makes a little more sense than other later retellings).

And of course, all those groovy illustrations make it a wonderful time capsule.
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2015, 08:40:27 PM »

This was the first book about The Beach Boys I ever read. Don't let the "authorized" tag fool you. The Beach Boys were never ones to hold back opinions, and there are quotes from the guys in this book that I've still never seen elsewhere (the story of the breakdown of SMiLE depicted here, for example, is one that makes a little more sense than other later retellings).

Care to elaborate about SMiLE?Huh

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2015, 09:28:31 PM »

Preiss talks about the other non-musical activities that Brian was preoccupied with at the time. Rather than head to the recording studio it was more like "Hey guys, let's all take this telescope up to the mountains and gaze at the stars all night", etc. Kind of like Brian was in such a creative head space that it extended way past concentrating on just making music, and gradually the focus shifted away from music into other things...or more like a dozen esoteric escapades all at once. This has been articulated in other books but it's depicted really well here.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2015, 12:43:18 AM »

+1.  This was also the first book I read about the band, although I had also near memorised the Tom Nolan R/S article prior to getting my hands on this book.

While punches are pulled and there's limited reference to the raging band politics of the day, a careful read of this tome nets some pretty interesting little tidbits and insights.

The presentation is great with most direct quotes bolded and framed, also usually heralding a transition in narrative.  As Ghosty say, the illustrations are groovy; ranging from the (imo) sublime (Busy Doin' Nothin', Sunflower) to the inspired (H&V, Darlin'), the amusing (Fun, Fun, Fun - I Wanna Pick You Up) through to the kinda ludicrous but technically proficeint (Surfer Girl, p129 - wtf).

Worth picking up should you come across it.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2015, 03:54:15 AM »

Preiss talks about the other non-musical activities that Brian was preoccupied with at the time. Rather than head to the recording studio it was more like "Hey guys, let's all take this telescope up to the mountains and gaze at the stars all night", etc. Kind of like Brian was in such a creative head space that it extended way past concentrating on just making music, and gradually the focus shifted away from music into other things...or more like a dozen esoteric escapades all at once. This has been articulated in other books but it's depicted really well here.

Thanks for elaborating, and this seems to corroborate what Vosse and some others have said about the period too. I believe it.

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2015, 10:52:03 PM »

I used to have a copy of the first edition; parted with it somewhere along the way, but I do have the revised edition from 1983 - published just before Dennis died. The years 1979-1983 are covered in just a few paragraphs. It is a good book, though; the only other BB bio I had read before this one was David Leaf's book, which was really a book about Brian. This one is a nice contrast, featuring many quotes from all the guys, and many insiders.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2015, 03:36:57 AM »

Once I started getting most of the old British magazines with beach boys interviews I realized that the preiss book had very little involvement by the bbs. Almost all the quotes are from various interviews from NME, Melody Maker and Disc and Music Echo but still a fun book
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx