gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 09:05:55 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Pickle Brothers  (Read 22888 times)
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 15, 2014, 01:19:02 PM »

As much as I love The Beach Boys for their music, they are definitely not experts when it comes to comedy. But, then again, not too many bands are. The Beatles were quite unique in being genuinely funny.

Luckily they didn't do "Bugged" or "I'm trapped in a microphone" or "She's Goin' Bald" or "Monster Mash" or some of the other "dadaist"  Roll Eyes classics in concert. 

huh?

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 15, 2014, 01:24:15 PM »

Oh they did do that high brow dadaist classic "Monster Mash" in concert?

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 15, 2014, 01:28:00 PM »

Smile Brian specifically referred to the Smile tapes when referring to the "dadaist" "surreal" humor. Didn't realize that Monster Mash was apart of the Smile Sessions Roll Eyes

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 15, 2014, 01:37:16 PM »

Smile Brian specifically referred to the Smile tapes when referring to the "dadaist" "surreal" humor. Didn't realize that Monster Mash was apart of the Smile Sessions Roll Eyes

My apologies Smile Brian. We will just disagree on how high or low brow or dadaist the SMiLE humor was/is.

Brian and the Boys recorded humor had a lot of sympatico with the Pickle Bros imo so it does not seem like a mystery to me how they ended up with BRI.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 15, 2014, 01:48:39 PM »

You are seriously arguing for the pickle brothers? Its an unfunny and very dated act  that Mike Love signed to brother records. Funny how Mike was such a judge of talent with not letting BW produce three dog night for brother. Roll Eyes

The pickle brothers is blue collar hawthorne comedy material that BW grew out of by 1967. BW was experimenting with humor on smile sessions in different ways than the pickle brothers.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 01:56:10 PM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 15, 2014, 01:56:30 PM »

By the time Smile came around I think Brian's humor was a bit more advanced from their earlier forays, it fell more in line with the ideas that Smile expressed: an abstract look at the world.

Take for instance the "falling into the french horn" or "I'm stuck between the C and the C sharp" or falling into the Mic....fairly surreal ways of looking at the world. Or the workshop clip where someone yells "oooowww!" - which actually made me laugh (which stems, apparently, from the rebuilding of a city after the fire). I'm definitely not saying that this humor is grounded in some sort of genius, but it is a bit more surreal and abstract than whatever the hell the pickle brothers were on about in those clips posted earlier.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 15, 2014, 02:19:47 PM »

My apologies Smile Brian. We will just disagree on how high or low brow or dadaist the SMiLE humor was/is.

Brian and the Boys recorded humor had a lot of sympatico with the Pickle Bros imo so it does not seem like a mystery to me how they ended up with BRI.

I'm really unclear why you quoted me to make this point.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 15, 2014, 02:21:58 PM »

Huh.

Well the guitar's rather well-recorded.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 15, 2014, 02:30:18 PM »

I have reviews of almost every BB show that was reviewed in the 60s-90s.  But the files are all put away.  I pulled out a few.  I think their first appearance with the BBs (as the Uncalled For Three) was at Fordham and their act was considered so inappropriate for the conservative Catholic college that they pulled the plug on them after the first show and they didn't open for the BBs at the second one.  They appeared with them at NCC (Nassau Community College) on May 8, 1966 and the reviewer felt they were hilarious.  They did imitations of Ed Sullivan and Johnny Carson, etc, etc.   
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 15, 2014, 02:47:47 PM »

I'm really unclear why you quoted me to make this point.

Quoted you?

Oh, you don't mean this quote, the earlier one. Why not?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 02:49:33 PM by Cam Mott » Logged

Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 15, 2014, 03:06:59 PM »

As much as I love The Beach Boys for their music, they are definitely not experts when it comes to comedy. But, then again, not too many bands are. The Beatles were quite unique in being genuinely funny.

Luckily they didn't do "Bugged" or "I'm trapped in a microphone" or "She's Goin' Bald" or "Monster Mash" or some of the other "dadaist"  Roll Eyes classics in concert. 

Because it had nothing to do with anything I said whatsoever.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 15, 2014, 03:15:24 PM »

That must be the comedy part?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 15, 2014, 03:24:41 PM »

Hahaha true, Guitarfool Grin

The inspiration from Arthur Koestler definitely left it's fingerprint on the Beach Boy records (whether it was successful or not). 'Cassius Love vs Sonny Wilson', 'Our Favorite Recording Sessions', etc, right on up to the Smile Sessions....Brian had a genuine philosophical interest in making people laugh. I really don't see how Brian's humor fits in with what The Legendary Flood posted (especially the Smile Session era tracks), but to each his own I suppose....

Thought the Pickle Bros was a Mike indulgence? Didn't be produce the track posted by be Legendary Flood, above?

“We live in divisive times.”
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 15, 2014, 04:07:57 PM »

Hahaha true, Guitarfool Grin

The inspiration from Arthur Koestler definitely left it's fingerprint on the Beach Boy records (whether it was successful or not). 'Cassius Love vs Sonny Wilson', 'Our Favorite Recording Sessions', etc, right on up to the Smile Sessions....Brian had a genuine philosophical interest in making people laugh. I really don't see how Brian's humor fits in with what The Legendary Flood posted (especially the Smile Session era tracks), but to each his own I suppose....

Thought the Pickle Bros was a Mike indulgence? Didn't be produce the track posted by be Legendary Flood, above?

Yes he did. Someone, earlier, compared Brian's humor to the pickle brothers, I was merely pointing out the differences.

Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 15, 2014, 04:14:28 PM »

Grin
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 04:16:29 PM by Ian » Logged
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 15, 2014, 04:52:40 PM »

I was agreeing with you that they were not expert at comedy and extending the point.

Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #66 on: November 15, 2014, 06:14:04 PM »

Hmmm...I played this, and the stray dog I feed left in disgust...and it's freezing outside.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 15, 2014, 07:16:46 PM »

Hmmm...I played this, and the stray dog I feed left in disgust...and it's freezing outside.

LOL
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 15, 2014, 07:39:23 PM »

LOL

...was it named Wrinkles?

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 15, 2014, 07:42:51 PM »

ahh, Mikie will find another shelter

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: November 15, 2014, 09:57:56 PM »

LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 07, 2016, 12:29:39 PM »

Dusting off this thread for a couple reasons.

First, earlier this year the Pickle Brothers' pilot for their unsold TV series wound up on Youtube -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIcODB6rc6Q

put up there by Peter Lee from the group. Written (and produced) by Gerald Gardner and Dee Caruso of Monkees fame as noted before, and directed by none other than future Oscar winner William Friedkin. Bouncy theme and incidental music by Quincy Jones. For some reason, neither him nor Billy Friedkin ever mention this credit in interviews.

The executive producer of the pilot, uncredited, was Michael Garrison who also created The Wild Wild West. He died falling down the stairs of his mansion shortly after it was made, apparently one reason the show didn't go into production for a full season.

Of the supporting cast I recognized only the name of Liliane Montevecchi who, as her Wiki page shows, has been in more impressive things than this.  But the Pickles' threads are kinda interesting - look like a Carnaby/Sy Devore blend, or something.

At the same time he put up the pilot Lee self-published this e-book,

https://www.amazon.com/Leave-Laughing-History-Brothers-Brother-ebook/dp/B01CMXT7BA/

which runs 126 pages and costs three bucks. I don't have Kindle so haven't read it and don't know if it covers the Pickles' BBs involvement.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: November 07, 2016, 07:32:50 PM »

You just don't see comedy like that.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 07, 2016, 08:47:44 PM »

Via a link at the Youtube page with the Pickle Brothers pilot, I downloaded Peter Lee's book for free. About one-tenth of the book concerns the tours with the BBs. And it also has an interesting appendix, consisting of a list of the various tour dates the comedy trio did with the guys (75 in all, from April '66 to November '68) compiled by the Pickles' Michael Mishlove at the time, with his comments. These mostly are one-word assessments of how the Pickles' part of the show went, but occasionally there are some more interesting things.

For example, when the BBs did Constitution Hall in Washington DC on Nov. 19, 1967, the Daughters Of The American Revolution, which owns the hall, refused to allow the Pickles to go onstage because comedy acts were verboten at the venue.  Somewhere down the line that changed - indeed, the one time I was at Constitution Hall was for a sold-out Aziz Ansari gig.

But one very intriguing thing about the list in Lee's book is that it has quite a number of BBs gigs that don't show up at all in Badman.

The book also has a vivid desciption of an orgy presided over by Dennis at Room 108 of the Holiday Inn in Spokane, Washington on Aug. 23, 1968.  

But the most jaw-dropping moment in the text comes when Lee discusses the Thanksgiving '67 tour with Buffalo Springfield. He says that his fellow Pickle Brother Ron Prince looked over to Bruce, who was sitting next to him, and found him writing lyrics down. At the top of the paper was the title - "I Write The Songs." That would be more than seven years before the time when Bruce was supposed to have written it - and when he was still in the band first time around.  Kinda makes you wonder.

(The Lei'd show is also discussed. It seems to have been the only occasion the Pickles really saw anything of Brian. Lee says that he came to Honolulu with "his wife and brother-in-law."  I can't remember ever having read of Marilyn, Diane and Barbara having a brother.)

The account of the Pickles' pre-BBs career, back on the East Coast, is also of some interest. The trio was still called The Uncalled-Four Three when they did their first shows with the guys in the spring of '66 - the Pickle Brothers name was conjured up by the people who made their TV pilot later on, and they kept it.  But they'd covered the gamut of Village clubs, the Steel Pier in Atlantic City, college dates, had been on bills with Joan Rivers, George Carlin, Woody Allen, Jake Holmes, and a lot of other names who ended up far better known than them.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 08:51:46 PM by rn57 » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: November 08, 2016, 07:04:05 AM »

I think the book to compare in terms of tour dates would be Rusten and Stebbins's "In Concert" book. I think they cleaned up a lot of stuff put out there by Badman.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx