gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:31:37 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bob Dylan Thread  (Read 62999 times)
8o8o
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2008, 01:16:12 PM »

I really like the version of "Tangled Up In Blue" on "The Bootleg Series Vol. 1-3, Rare & Unreleased 1961-1991" too.  A superb song.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2008, 04:15:45 PM »

Tangled always remind me of On The Road.

Are you referring to "On The Road Again" from Bringing It All Back Home? Now that's an album that deserves a thread of its own.

8080, I have to admit I'm not familiar with "Tangled Up In Blue" from Rare & Unreleased 1961 - 1991. Is it live or a studio outtake?
8o8o
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2008, 04:37:56 AM »

8080, I have to admit I'm not familiar with "Tangled Up In Blue" from Rare & Unreleased 1961 - 1991. Is it live or a studio outtake?
It's a studio outtake. It's from the 'original' sessions (produced by Phil Ramone) for "Blood On The Tracks" at Columbia A&R Studios, NYC, September 12, 1974. He later re-recorded five songs in Minneapolis, and "Tangled Up In Blue" as we know it is one of them.

Personnel for the (stripped down) NYC version:

Bob Dylan -- Guitar, Vocals
Tony Brown -- Bass

Unknown additional acoustic guitar possibly:
Charles Brown, III -- Guitar
Eric Weissberg -- Guitar
Barry Kornfeld -- Guitar
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2008, 11:18:46 AM »

"we drove that car as far as we could...abandoned it out west.........."

if you will................from the scene of Cassidy driving the Hudson till it would go no furher...also a metaphor of Dylan going to California prior to the demise of his marriage............

perhaps I read too much into it.....but poetry seems to have that effect on me......

Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2008, 11:38:43 AM »

It's a studio outtake. It's from the 'original' sessions (produced by Phil Ramone) for "Blood On The Tracks" at Columbia A&R Studios, NYC, September 12, 1974. He later re-recorded five songs in Minneapolis, and "Tangled Up In Blue" as we know it is one of them.

Personnel for the (stripped down) NYC version:

Bob Dylan -- Guitar, Vocals
Tony Brown -- Bass

Unknown additional acoustic guitar possibly:
Charles Brown, III -- Guitar
Eric Weissberg -- Guitar
Barry Kornfeld -- Guitar

Is Barry Kornfeld related at all to Artie Kornfeld?

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2008, 08:25:21 PM »

Just started listening to Dylan over the past couple of months. I bought my first two Dylan albums: Highway 61 Revisited and Blonde On Blonde

I figured, since those are considered his best albums, I'd start there. I like that he's playing with a full band. I never really bought his stuff because I don't like folk music even though I love the Byrds, especially their versions of his folk songs.

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
8o8o
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2008, 05:14:13 AM »

Is Barry Kornfeld related at all to Artie Kornfeld?

Good question, but I don't think he is.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 05:32:32 AM by 8080 » Logged
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2008, 04:31:40 PM »

Just started listening to Dylan over the past couple of months. I bought my first two Dylan albums: Highway 61 Revisited and Blonde On Blonde

I figured, since those are considered his best albums, I'd start there. I like that he's playing with a full band. I never really bought his stuff because I don't like folk music even though I love the Byrds, especially their versions of his folk songs.

Heywood, you picked two of the best to start! Let us know how your listening is progressing. Even though you're not a big folk music fan, The Freewheeling Bob Dylan is a fine "early period" album.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2008, 04:35:34 PM »

Agreed, when you're picking two of the most highly regarded albums in history, it's not a bad place to start. The recent (2001) Love & Theft is also an amazing album, as are Blood on the Tracks and Bringing it All Back Home. Those five are most likely my favorites. Or thereabouts. (Such lists change.)

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2008, 04:39:39 PM »

Agreed, when you're picking two of the most highly regarded albums in history, it's not a bad place to start. The recent (2001) Love & Theft is also an amazing album, as are Blood on the Tracks and Bringing it All Back Home. Those five are most likely my favorites. Or thereabouts. (Such lists change.)

I've been waiting for a "Dylan Greatest" list! Perhaps Top 10 albums and Top 10 tracks?
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2008, 05:57:44 PM »

I've been waiting for a "Dylan Greatest" list! Perhaps Top 10 albums and Top 10 tracks?

Here's a top 10 Dylan albums list I did on another board relatively recently.

1. Bringing It All Back Home
2. Blonde on Blonde
3. Love & Theft
4. Live 1966 (Bootleg Series)
5. Blood on the Tracks
6. John Wesley Harding
7. Basement Tapes
8. Highway 61 Revisited
9. Modern Times
10. World Gone Wrong

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2008, 07:32:20 PM »

Thanks for the list, Luther. All good choices, with the one surprise being World Gone Wrong. I don't own the record; any chance of a quick thumbnail review?

8080 (or anyone else), I'd be interested in your list(s)....
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2008, 01:35:17 PM »

"World Gone Wrong" was Dylan's second mid-90s collection of traditional blues/folk numbers performed with just an acoustic guitar/harmonica like in the early days...but way darker. I tend to prefer the first collection "Good As I Been To You" (if only for the closer "Froggie Went A-Courtin'"!).

I can't argue with Luther's selections too much, but would definitely find room for "Street Legal" or "Oh Mercy" in place of "World Gone Wrong".
« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 06:08:10 AM by Roger Ryan » Logged
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2008, 01:44:24 PM »

I can't argue with Luther's selections too much, but would definitely find room for "Steet Legal" or "Oh Mercy" in place of "World Gone Wrong".

I dislike SL and don't much like OM.

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2008, 07:49:58 PM »

It's tough to rank 'em, it'll change next week:

1. Blood On The Tracks
2. Bringing It All Back Home
3. The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan
4. Blonde On Blonde
5. Oh, Mercy
6. Highway 61 Revisited
7. Love And Theft
8. Time Out Of Mind
9. Under The Red Sky
10. Real Live
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2008, 06:10:19 AM »

1. Blood On The Tracks
4. Blonde On Blonde
5. Oh, Mercy
6. Highway 61 Revisited
7. Love And Theft
8. Time Out Of Mind
9. Under The Red Sky
10. Real Live

Wow, nine and ten may be Dylan's worst albums ever! I guess it just goes to show how different opinions can be. The top eight are genius, of course.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2008, 01:02:01 PM »

1. Blood On The Tracks
4. Blonde On Blonde
5. Oh, Mercy
6. Highway 61 Revisited
7. Love And Theft
8. Time Out Of Mind
9. Under The Red Sky
10. Real Live

Wow, nine and ten may be Dylan's worst albums ever! I guess it just goes to show how different opinions can be. The top eight are genius, of course.

Most people feel that way about Under The Red Sky, and I don't know why. First, I'm sentimental about it because at the first Dylan concert I ever attended, he played 3-4 songs from the album, I liked them, and figured they were good. I think the title cut, "Cat's In The Well", "Unbelievable", "Born In Time", and 'God Knows" are solid. Dylan made a few videos from the album. Some of the songs are from the Oh Mercy sessions. Have I sold ya yet?

Don't you like Real Live? Eclectic song selection as always. It rocks in places, but what I really like are the acoustic cuts. I think I like "It Ain't Me Babe" and "Girl From The North Country" better than the original versions, and I know some people who dig the Real Live version of "Tangled Up In Blue". What I really like is the way Dylan would build those songs to a climax, with the harmonica wailing and the crowd cheering behind him, encouraging him on. No? 
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2008, 01:46:13 PM »

Sheriff - I'm sold on Dylan and have been for 30 years. I bought both REAL LIVE and UNDER THE RED SKY the day they were released, but have never gotten very excited about either.

The G.E. Smith-led band was Dylan's worst period live for my money; Dylan was really phoning it in and the arrangements were mediocre or worse. Now REAL LIVE is just okay and is, in fact, a better presentation of Dylan than many of the shows during this period. However, there is no comparing it to Dylan & The Hawks in '66, Dylan & the Band in '75, Rolling Thunder or the incredible live work Dylan has done with his band from the late 90s until now. I wish the Bootleg series would include some of his shows from '99 - '02 when he and his band were really on-point.

UNDER THE RED SKY sounds like leftovers to me and poorly produced ones at that. You mention Dylan did a number of these tracks the first time you saw him and I've heard him do much improved versions over the past 10 years. That still doesn't make me want to put on the album. I do like "Unbelievable" and "Born In Time" (and I even get a kick out of Dylan returning to his early 60s surreal talking blues style in "TV Talkin' Song"), but the rest just doesn't sound inspired at all. His best material during this period ended up going on the second Traveling Wilburys album!

Hey, I'm glad you're into these records, but if we're talking Top Ten, ANOTHER SIDE, JOHN WESLEY HARDING, BASEMENT TAPES, NEW MORNING, DESIRE, STREET LEGAL, INFIDELS, MODERN TIMES, heck...even SLOW TRAIN COMING, PLANET WAVES and LIVE AT BUDOKAN would rank higher for me!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 01:48:57 PM by Roger Ryan » Logged
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2008, 02:12:24 PM »

Thanks for the response Roger, I respect your opinion(s) and learn from them. I couldn't help but notice Live At Budokan on your list. You know, that album gets hammered too, but there are some bright spots to be found; "Love Minus Zero No Limit", "Mr. Tambourine Man", and "All Along The Watchtower" come to mind....
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2008, 07:01:07 PM »

My Dylan top 10 albums, idiosyncratic as it may be:

1. Blonde on Blonde-one of my top 10 albums by anyone (probably about #7 or #8), a sublime listening experience from beginning to end.
2. Blood on the Tracks
3. Highway 61 Revisited (or)
4. Rolling Thunder Review-Live 1975 (those are interchangeable)
5. Desire
6. Love and Theft
7. Empire Burlesque (not my favorite arrangements, but killer tunes)
8. Bringing it all Back Home (lower than usual, but have come to realize that I prefer "It's Allright Ma, I'm Only Bleeding" and "It's All Over Now Baby Blue" on Before the Flood for the former and the Byrds version of the latter)
9. Before the FLood
10. Infidels

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2008, 06:53:30 AM »

I agree. Great longs, less than great production. It's funny, I liked the album for a long time before I read a bunch of questionable reviews, then I started to hear it in a different way, if that makes sense....
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2008, 08:56:02 AM »

I agree. Great longs, less than great production. It's funny, I liked the album for a long time before I read a bunch of questionable reviews, then I started to hear it in a different way, if that makes sense....

EMPIRE BURLESQUE was an interesting album; not entirely successful, but Dylan sounded engaged. His recent live versions of "Seeing The Real You At Last" always sound great and "Dark Eyes" is probably the best song he wrote in the 80s.

I included BUDOKAN in my list only as a live album I like better than REAL LIVE although many consider the "Vegas-style" arrangements grating. Some of it is still pretty good and the version of "I Want You" on there is mindblowing.
8o8o
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2008, 11:20:52 AM »

Alright, here's my list, I can say that these are my ten (plus one bonus!) favourite Dylan records (in no particular order, but no live stuff or compilations included):

Bringing It All Back Home (the perfect bridge between early, acoustic Dylan and his 'electric' years)
Blonde On Blonde
Highway 61 Revisited
The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan
Nashville Skyline (the one I play most, easy to digest, especially when compared to "BOB", which is like a full meal!)
John Wesley Harding
Blood On The Tracks
The Basement Tapes (track down the "Tree With Roots" boot if you like this one)
Desire
Oh Mercy
Bonus: Self Portrait (usually gets a lot of stick, but I like it, Bob's own "Smiley Smile" in a way)

"Time Out Of Mind" would be my favourite album of his recent trilogy.

Other albums I listen to on a regular basis: the "Biograph" compilation, "The Bootleg Series 1-3: Rare & Unreleased 1961-1991" and "The Bootleg Series 4, Live 1966" of course, a classic.

Favourite 10 tracks? Tough one. Have to think it over.  Grin
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2008, 09:23:16 PM »

I really like the song the 'The Man In Me' ,which I heard in The Big Lebowski, but I noticed none of you put New Morning on your top ten list, so is it a good album? I also really like 'Lay Lady Lay', but Dylan fans have always had me under the impression its not a good album. I noticed only one of you put it in their top ten. Also, I had no idea is last two albums are considered some his best work ever. I just thought everyone was fawning over him because music sucks so hard today.

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2008, 07:42:13 AM »

Music doesn't suck today unless you're looking in the wrong places: most major labels release nothing but garbage, and obviously commercial radio and video channels suck. But there is plenty of great music. But yes, the past few Dylan albums have been really good. I'd argue that his past five are good, with both acoustic covers albums and then Time Out of Mind, Love & Theft and Modern Times all being really good. L&T, in particular, is brilliant, not just compared to what was out in 2001 but compared to Dylan's work.

As for New Morning, I think it's pretty weak. I don't really think any of that early 70s stuff is worth much, not until BOtT.

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx