gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:47:48 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bob Dylan Thread  (Read 62995 times)
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 19, 2007, 06:18:42 PM »

Just wanted to start a Bob Dylan thread...Talk about Dylan concerts you've seen, review albums, discuss your favorite songs, rarities, personal stories, news, trivia, anything!

I've been working on a non-hits/more obscure Dylan comp CD for my car. And I'm really enjoying "Lily Of The West". Does anybody know who the musicians were on the recording of this song?

Anybody have any other Dylan stuff you wanna talk about?
MBE
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 04:17:38 AM »

I like that all his stuff including box sets is on vinyl. Hm well the 1965-66 period is fantastic especally the shows with Mickey Jones. I like the 69-70 period as well and Nashville Skyline and New Morning are two of my favorite albuns. He had some bad albums between 80-88 but I think his last three are as good as almost any he did. Next to 65-66 my favorite tour or the Rolling Thunder ones from 75-76. Saw him in 1993 during one of his creative draughts. Good show but he didn't know how to work the gravel in his voice yet. Saw him in 2005 and he was much better. Good set, he played paino most of the show, and he sang a lot better. Both were good though. I don't know I am a big fan and have bought multi LP bootleg boxsets including Ten Of Swords which is one of the best boots ever, I don't like him as much as I like say the Beach Boys or Elvis, but he is certainly among the 13 artists I hold highest.
CosmicDancer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 06:36:24 AM »

I have seen Dylan twice and both are among the best concerts I've seen!  The second time, in 2004 I believe, he played electric piano for the entire show and I think it really put a new spark in him to be doing something a little different.  He seemed WAY more into it and sang his heart out!!  He even pulled out "Every Grain of Sand" at the show which is easily my favorite of his "religious" period. 

I absolutely love Dylan.  Although there were a few bad albums in the mid 80's, there is at least one song on every Dylan record that make them worth the money.  Searching through his catalouge can be a lot like the BB's at times, searching through the dreck to find the gems!  Even in the 80's though he had some terrific moments.  I LOVE Infidels, Street Legal,  and Oh Mercy!!

He is another that is guilty, like the BB's, of leaving increadible material off of his albums.  The Bootleg Series is a true gift for any Dylan fan. 

I am so glad that he has hit a creative resurgence in the last few years.  The way he uses his old man rough voice is phenominal.  I think he uses his voice now better than he ever has with the exception of the Bringing it All Back Home-Blonde on Blonde era. 

He is a terrific artist!  Good thread!

The Un-Funny Alliance:  Are you not "good at being funny"?  Join us today in our mission to make the world a less funny place one "easy" fart joke at a time!
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2007, 07:41:29 AM »

I basically feel the same way as MBE and CosmicDancer. I'm a little late in coming into Dylan fandom, but I'm hooked now. I saw Dylan in each of the last three years:

2005 - Lanacster, PA (with Willie Nelson, who was great)
2006 - Reading, PA (with Junior Brown and Jimmy Vaughn)
2007 - Hershey, PA (with Jimmy Vaughn again)

When people asked me how I felt about the shows, my response was the same - it was a spiritual experience. They laughed at me, but I was serious. You have this living legend up there on stage at 64-65-66 years of age, rocking like a 20 year old. The setlists were all completely different. Dylan's starting to play some guitar again. And MBE and Cosmic are right, he has LEARNED how to use his weathered voice; you CAN understand the words. My goal is to see him at least once a year.

I think Dylan - along with The Beach Boys, McCartney, Thr Rolling Stones, Simon & Garfunkel, and a few others (Chuck Berry's still out there!) - are breaking new ground. They are raising the stakes. Retirement? Nah. Rocking into their late 60's, maybe 70's? Hopefully. We can't take this period for granted. We are so lucky they are still around and still so vibrant.
Christian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2007, 08:02:04 AM »

I'm really enjoying "Lily Of The West". Does anybody know who the musicians were on the recording of this song?

recorded June 3 & 5, 1970, Columbia Studio E, NY

Bob Dylan - voc, guitar, harmonica
Al Kooper - keyboards
Charlie Daniels - bass
Ron Cornelius - guitar
Russ Kunkel - drums
Hilda Harris, Albertine Robinson, Maeretha Stewart - backing voc
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2007, 10:39:16 AM »

I'm really enjoying "Lily Of The West". Does anybody know who the musicians were on the recording of this song?

recorded June 3 & 5, 1970, Columbia Studio E, NY

Bob Dylan - voc, guitar, harmonica
Al Kooper - keyboards
Charlie Daniels - bass
Ron Cornelius - guitar
Russ Kunkel - drums
Hilda Harris, Albertine Robinson, Maeretha Stewart - backing voc

Thanks for the info, Christian. Is that THE Charlie Daniels? Didn't know he played bass...
MBE
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2007, 05:39:16 PM »

Charlie played on a ton of Nashville 1960's sessions. Elvis, Dylan you name it.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2007, 09:24:28 AM »

A lot to be said about the man and his music.

If you haven't read Chronicles, you will most certainly enjoy this autobio of Dylan (2004).  It is thoroughly readable and often the prose reminds you of his poetry and lyrics.

I saw him once a few years ago with a very tight combo.  I believe it was just after the release of the first of the 3 album "series" culminating in Modern Times.  He and the band actually ROCKED, finishing the final set with Alabama Getaway, a tribute to his old friend Jery Garcia.

......and of course I would have to mention one of my favorite moments,  the commercial he did with Adriana Lima.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2007, 10:43:21 AM »

donald, I love the Curly Howard avatar with the "distinguished" look...

This was the setlist of Dylan's concert on 8/19/07 in Melbourne, Australia:

1. Leopard-Skin Pill-Box Hat
2. Don't Think Twice, It's Alright
3. Watching The River Flow
4. Just Like A Woman
5. Rumblin' And Tumblin'
6. When The Deal Goes Down
7. Highway 61 Revisited
8. Blind Willie McTell
9. My Back Pages
10. Honest With Me
11. Spirit On The Water
12. Stuck Inside Of Mobile
13. Ain't Talkin'
14. Summer Days
15. I Believe In You

Encores:
16. Thunder On The Mountain
17. All Along The Watchtower

Amazing! Blind Willie McTell, My Back Pages, and I Believe In You! 

phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2007, 01:31:35 PM »

While I virtually hated the Desire LP when I first heard it, it has eventually become one of my favorites. Right now, I find myself listening over and over again to that album. You've just got to love that doleful fiddle, making Sara probably one of the most immediately touching love songs I've ever heard as it adds such a gentle touch of regret to the retrospective lyrical content of the song.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2007, 08:05:52 AM »

While I virtually hated the Desire LP when I first heard it, it has eventually become one of my favorites. Right now, I find myself listening over and over again to that album. You've just got to love that doleful fiddle, making Sara probably one of the most immediately touching love songs I've ever heard as it adds such a gentle touch of regret to the retrospective lyrical content of the song.

Got Desire out to re-visit....Do you know what's a great track? "One More Cup Of Coffee For The Road". Dylan was was on a definite roll in 1974/75/76.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2007, 05:24:59 PM »

I read a couple of places that Rick Rubin is and/or is being considered as the producer of Dylan's next studio album, possibly in 2008. Anybody else hear about this? Good or bad choice? Rubin has a good track record; always seems to bring out the best in the artist he's working with.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2007, 05:26:59 PM »

I think it's entirely unnecessary. Bob has done a great job on his own the past few records. I think doing without outside producers was a great move on his part, having made two of my favorite-sounding albums of his since, well, ever. But up there with the mid-60s and mid-70s classics.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2007, 05:59:40 PM »

Hey Luther, speaking of the last few records, I've been working on this compilation CD for awhile now, trying to get it just right - sequencing, fast/slow, songs that are performed live, sampling from a lot of different albums, etc. What'd ya think? I don't have to ask you to be honest....

Bob Dylan 1989 - 2006

1. God Knows
2. Someday Baby
3. Where Teardrops Fall
4. Everything Is Broken
5. The Man In The Long Black Coat
6. Cold Irons Bound
7. Love Sick
8. Things Have Changed
9. Born In Time
10. Mississippi
11. Not Dark Yet
12. Trying To Get To Heaven
13. Cat's In The Well
14. Shooting Star (Unplugged version)
15. Summer Days
16. Most Of The Time

Late scratches were "Tweedle Dum And Tweedle Dee", "Under The Red Sky", "Political World", and "High Water (For Charley Patton).

Late additions were "When Teardrops Fall", Most Of The Time" and "Everything Is Broken"

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2007, 06:03:44 PM »

I don't have to ask you to be honest....

AHAHAHHAA. No, you don't.

I just very quickly glanced and must say, I'd have a hard time putting much pre-TOoM music with the past three albums, just due to what strike me as really different sounding recordings. But I'm going to give this tracklist a little thought and maybe a listen, then will comment more directly.

btw, I love High Water, so I'm sad you cut it.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
8o8o
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2007, 05:39:13 AM »

Listen to the "Dylan/Cash Sessions" boot a lot these days - which is good fun, I really love "Nashville Skyline" and Cash is always great to listen to, even when he sings about chickens or fire trucks.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2007, 04:33:11 PM »

Interesting you would bring up Johnny Cash after I mentioned Rick Rubin in the above post. I love Rubin's work with Johnny Cash on their American Recordings. I kind of agree with Luther's opinion regarding an outside producer, but at the same time, it would be interesting to see what the Bob Dylan-Rick Rubin team could come up with.

Anyway, I miss Johnny Cash, and he and Dylan did have a longtime bond. I always liked Johnny's (w/ June) take of "It Ain't Me Babe". I've been listening a lot to The Highwaymen stuff Johnny did with Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson, and Kris Kristofferson.

8o8o
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2007, 06:43:20 AM »

Interesting you would bring up Johnny Cash after I mentioned Rick Rubin in the above post. I love Rubin's work with Johnny Cash on their American Recordings. I kind of agree with Luther's opinion regarding an outside producer, but at the same time, it would be interesting to see what the Bob Dylan-Rick Rubin team could come up with.

Anyway, I miss Johnny Cash, and he and Dylan did have a longtime bond. I always liked Johnny's (w/ June) take of "It Ain't Me Babe". I've been listening a lot to The Highwaymen stuff Johnny did with Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson, and Kris Kristofferson.

That's good stuff - indeed it's sad that there's only two Highwaymen left now. Have a pretty nice (and lengthy) live recording of them somewhere, can't remember out of my head where that was recorded.

Rick Rubin would be an excellent choice, I agree. The five "American Recordings" albums are brilliant. Rubin has a great track record, and I would definitely love to see him team up with Bob.

B.t.w. does Rubin ever rest? He's always working on some record: Red Hot Chili Peppers, U2, Jay-Z - no wonder he has such a long beard; he doesn't even have the time to shave......
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2007, 01:38:13 PM »

it's sad that there's only two Highwaymen left now. Have a pretty nice (and lengthy) live recording of them somewhere, can't remember out of my head where that was recorded.

That's exactly what I've been listening to! But I don't know where it's from either. I enjoy the banter between the four guys. Humor is something they all shared. They really appeared to be enjoying themselves.

Speaking of The Highwaymen and groups like the Dylan-involved Traveling Wilburys, I think it's time for another one of those groups to form. I'm proposing the following group for a one-off album and concert: Bob Dylan, Brian Wilson, Paul McCartney, and Paul Simon - produced by Rick Rubin. If one of those guys can't make it, replace them with Bruce Springsteen!
8o8o
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2007, 01:55:17 PM »

it's sad that there's only two Highwaymen left now. Have a pretty nice (and lengthy) live recording of them somewhere, can't remember out of my head where that was recorded.

That's exactly what I've been listening to! But I don't know where it's from either. I enjoy the banter between the four guys. Humor is something they all shared. They really appeared to be enjoying themselves.

Speaking of The Highwaymen and groups like the Dylan-involved Traveling Wilburys, I think it's time for another one of those groups to form. I'm proposing the following group for a one-off album and concert: Bob Dylan, Brian Wilson, Paul McCartney, and Paul Simon - produced by Rick Rubin. If one of those guys can't make it, replace them with Bruce Springsteen!

Found out that the Highwaymen live recording I have (which is probably the same as yours) is from June 4, 1996 in Los Angeles (Greek Theater). Thirty-three tracks in total. So, I hope this helps.......

Now that would be some supergroup!! Brian and Paul are good friends, so why not? Have you thought of a band name?  Wink McCartney was in The Smoking Mojo Filters with Noel Gallagher and Paul Weller and some guys from Ocean Colour Scene I believe (though that was a one-off thing for the Help! album for charity).

Bob was in The Wilburys.....

Brian was in the greatest supergroup ever: The Beach Boys!!

Paul Simon was in Carly Simon  Roll Eyes, and Bruce has The E-Street Band.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2007, 12:16:24 PM »

I got a name for that supergroup;

Bobby D. and the Beachbeatles featuring Simon without Garfunkel.

Or , as an alternative, (given their advancing ages) the Stationary Wilburys.

8o8o
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2007, 12:27:52 PM »

I got a name for that supergroup;

Bobby D. and the Beachbeatles featuring Simon without Garfunkel.

Or , as an alternative, (given their advancing ages) the Stationary Wilburys.

Nice one, Donald!  LOL
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2007, 03:47:04 PM »

Caught Bob Dylan Live In Newport: 1963-1965 on PBS. Very entertaining. I have seen snippets of these performances on other documentaries, but never the full songs. I was especially impressed with the clarity of the sound.

It was amazing what Dylan could do with just an acoustic guitar and harmonica. I was fortunate enough to see Dylan live the last three summers, and, after watching these Newport performances, I found myself thinking the same things that I think when seeing Brian Wilson - it's hard to believe it's the same guy. In a good way of course...
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2008, 08:21:32 PM »

Am enjoying "Tangled Up In Blue" - all of the versions. They're all great. Blood On The Tracks, Rolling Thunder Revue, Real Live....
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2008, 06:39:07 AM »

Tangled always remind me of On The Road.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx