gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:58:31 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bob Dylan Thread  (Read 62997 times)
P.J.
Smiley Smile Associate

The least you could do is smile.

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 09, 2009, 04:29:56 PM »

Yeah, "'Cross the Green Mountain" is on my playlist a lot these days.

Dylan Convert Playlist:
- Like a Rolling Stone
- Workingman's Blues #2
- Forever Young
- Mississippi
- You're a Big Girl Now
- Most of the Time
- Knockin' on Heaven's Door

Can I extend this to 'quadrilogy' (Time Out of Mind) and throw in the 'Things Have Changed' single too? Thanks.
I know that Time Out of Mind/Love and Theft/Modern Times was suppose to be Dylan's new trilogy like Bringing it All Back Home/Highway 61 Revisited/Blonde on Blonde but I feel that Time Out of Mind, although a masterpiece in its own right, has a different production to the other two... and am guessing the new album.

"I heard the word -- wonderful thing -- a children's song."
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 09, 2009, 05:27:24 PM »

Dylan Convert Playlist:
- Most of the Time

Another great one; hard to believe it's 20 years old already. I like both the Oh Mercy version and the Tell Tale Sign version; almost like two different songs.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 09, 2009, 05:33:49 PM »

I really can't enjoy Oh Mercy at all, even though I think its songs are pretty good. Another reason I like Telltale Signs, I guess. (It's funny, a friend of mine who is a total raw/rough punk-edged garage rocker LOVES Oh Mercy, production and all. Swears by it. Just goes to show...um...something. I don't know what.)

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 10, 2009, 05:10:10 PM »

Yes, Oh Mercy and Time Out Of Mind were successes because the songs were good. However, I know it's a controversial subject, but I'll ask the question: Daniel Lanois - yes or no?
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 10, 2009, 05:11:41 PM »

For me, no, although I prefer TOoM to Oh Mercy, so I think that decade did him good. (That or co-producer "Jack Frost" exerted more control?) Oddly, I like Lanois' production on The Joshua Tree.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: March 10, 2009, 05:20:09 PM »

Yeah, it was Bono who introduced Dylan to Lanois....Being a Doors' fan, and basically liking the organ sound, that spooky and haunting "atmosphere", I like what Lanois did with Dylan. Sometimes I question if it really WAS Dylan, or was he just going along (much like Brian Wilson's solo stuff).

In the end, I guess it was legitimately Dylan, because he's gone through so many phases, why couldn't the Lanois projects just be another one, and, second, Dylan used him twice. If he wasn't happy after Oh Mercy, he wouldn't have gone back again; Dylan's not like that. What would be interesting is if Dylan would re-visit Lanois for a third time.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 10, 2009, 05:23:58 PM »

I think that it would be interesting mostly because when he releases this next album, that's three consecutive self-productions. It feels and sounds to me that he's really found his sound (although obviously what that sentence really means is that I think he's using the sound that I like best, that I think suits him best). So to use someone else now would be an interesting turn. (I think he's the best producer he's ever used, no disrespect to some of the guys who did great work for him before.)

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 10, 2009, 05:56:44 PM »

Yes, there's really no reason to change producers now, unless he gets bored.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 10, 2009, 06:14:35 PM »

But of course, if anyone might do it because he gets bored, he's the guy.

Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 11, 2009, 04:04:47 PM »

Yes, Oh Mercy and Time Out Of Mind were successes because the songs were good. However, I know it's a controversial subject, but I'll ask the question: Daniel Lanois - yes or no?

I love TooM, but unless Dylan has written a sequel to that album there is no need to re-hire Lanois. Dylan/Jack Frost is a brilliant producer in his own right, starting with Things Have Changed in 2000, and should stick with his own instincts while he's on a hot streak.

I don't like the production on Oh Mercy, so I will say No to Lanois.

Put it this way, if I heard that Lanois was producing the next Dylan album, I would be disappointed at the news.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 12, 2009, 08:40:12 PM »

I'm really psyched for the new Dylan album. I'm looking forward to what the Tex-Mex approach, with accordian, will sound like. So, I started listening to some country Dylan. One of my favorite "western" Dylan songs is "Lily Of The West" (I wonder if he ever played this live?), and, inspired by it, came up with a comp, just for the fun of it, to hold me over until the new album....

Bob Dylan - Lily Of The West

1. Lily Of The West
2. Drifter's Escape
3. One More Cup Of Coffee For The Road
4. All The Tired Horses
5. Billy 1
6. Senor
7. Alberta No. 2
8. I'll Be Your Baby Tonight
9. Tonight I'll Be Staying With You
10. Little Sadie
11. Billy 7
12. Wigwam
13. John Wesley Harding
14. Days Of '49
15. Bunkhouse Theme
16. Lily, Rosemary & The Jack Of Hearts
17. Knockin' On Heaven's Door
18. Shenendoah
19. Time Passes Slowly
20. One More Night
21. Down In The Flood
22. River Theme

Any suggestions on how to improve it are welcome! police

« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 06:58:22 PM by Sheriff John Stone » Logged
MBE
« Reply #111 on: March 12, 2009, 10:04:16 PM »

Man I have to catch up on my Dylan listening. I have the vinyl for the last two bootleg series but have so much backloged I haven't played them yet. They look terrific. I guess I like his pre 78 stuff the best because of the clarity of his voice, but the last three LP's are amazing. The most I ever spent on a single record was Ten Of Swords a classic 10 LP boot. $400 and it's so good I don't regret it. Saw him in 1992 and 2006 and he was much better the second time. It was one of the tours he played piano on. I think in 1992 he hadn't yet learned to work within the limitations of his voice and by the 1996-97 he had. It's kind of like how Brian is much more on pitch since 1998 then he was the twenty years previous.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 13, 2009, 05:11:31 PM »

I saw him at Austin City Limits... I was front row. He played by two favorite songs "Workingman's Blues #2" and "I Shall Be Released". The best night of my life.

P.J., care to share anymore on the Austin City Limits show?
P.J.
Smiley Smile Associate

The least you could do is smile.

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 16, 2009, 05:04:59 AM »

I saw him at Austin City Limits... I was front row. He played by two favorite songs "Workingman's Blues #2" and "I Shall Be Released". The best night of my life.

P.J., care to share anymore on the Austin City Limits show?

Well, like I said he played those two songs. I was really into "Workingman" at the time and had been keeping up with his setlists for that year. You know, to get a feel for what songs he'd possibly play. I remember thinking that "Cat's in the Well" was the for-sure opener and that "Workingman" was taken off his setlist (pretty bummed out for that). I made a CD comp for my girlfriend and a couple of friends for the road trip up to Austin. Man, I was surprised. I kept on calling out for "Workingman's Blues #2". I'd like to think he heard me, and played it (my own little fantasy). He played a great set. His voice was pretty ragged in the beginning for "Rainy Day Women" and "Hard Rain" but by the end we was killing. "It Ain't Me, Babe" was a total transformation. I think I loved that new version over the original! "Nettie Moore" was chilling.

Me and my girlfriend had been standing out in that front row since 9 or 10 in the morning. Dylan's set wasn't until the evening. We were both so tired from standing in all those people. When Dylan came out for his encore she clutched onto my hand. She was ready to go but stayed for me. She knew I wanted to see this encore. He played "I Shall Be Released" for his finale. Being a huge Basement Tapes fan I was floored. According to my cataloging he hadn't played that song in a couple of years I believe. It was a real treat for me. When me and my girlfriend first started dating I was in a band. She came to see me and that was the first song I ever "sang to her". Not a "love song" per say but it's very pretty with a nice sentiment when sung to a woman. She remembered and we danced on tired legs until the crowd dissipated.

It was a very meaningful experience to me and Jessica. I loved that night.

2007-09-16 ACL Setlist:
Rainy Day Women #12 & 35; It Ain't Me, Babe; Watching The River Flow; Spirit On The Water; The Levee's Gonna Break; Tangled Up In Blue; Things Have Changed; Workingman's Blues #2; Highway 61 Revisited; Nettie Moore; Summer Days; Ballad Of A Thin Man.
Encore: Thunder On The Mountain; Like A Rolling Stone; I Shall Be Released.

OH YEAH! This just in...

Bob Dylan Talks About His New Album with Bill Flanagan

Man, I am looking forward to this album big time. Love & Theft and Modern Times were such big records for me these past years.

"I heard the word -- wonderful thing -- a children's song."
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 16, 2009, 03:19:43 PM »

Great, great post, P.J.

Dylan concerts can be meaningful; I know exactly what you mean. Great set list, also. And, I know what you mean about his vocals; he starts out a little rough but improves as the concert progresses. Looking forward to seeing Dylan again, and the new album.
8o8o
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 30, 2009, 05:03:28 AM »

Free download of one of the new songs ("Beyond Here Lies Nothin'") here:

http://www.bobdylan.com/

Cool
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 30, 2009, 05:30:16 AM »

Still looking forward but that cover art has to be among the downright worst to ever grace a Dylan record
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 13, 2009, 01:43:36 PM »

I'm really psyched for the new Dylan album. I'm looking forward to what the Tex-Mex approach, with accordian, will sound like. So, I started listening to some country Dylan. One of my favorite "western" Dylan songs is "Lily Of The West" (I wonder if he ever played this live?), and, inspired by it, came up with a comp, just for the fun of it, to hold me over until the new album....

Bob Dylan - Lily Of The West

1. Lily Of The West
2. Drifter's Escape
3. One More Cup Of Coffee For The Road
4. All The Tired Horses
5. Billy 1
6. Senor
7. Alberta No. 2
8. I'll Be Your Baby Tonight
9. Tonight I'll Be Staying With You
10. Little Sadie
11. Billy 7
12. Wigwam
13. John Wesley Harding
14. Days Of '49
15. Bunkhouse Theme
16. Lily, Rosemary & The Jack Of Hearts
17. Knockin' On Heaven's Door
18. Shenendoah
19. Time Passes Slowly
20. One More Night
21. Down In The Flood
22. River Theme

Any suggestions on how to improve it are welcome! police
He just played "Billy" for the first time live on the neverendingtour.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm late to this, but I like Daniel Lanois' production on Oh Mercy. I just dislike highly the sequencing and the choice of songs in some places. Was wondering if John Stone could re-sequence OH MERCY without "What Good am I," "Disease of Content," "What Was It You Wanted" and with "Dignity," "Series of Dreams," "Born in Time" and "God Knows" (the last two from Tell Tale Hearts). Could you do that? Thanks...

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 13, 2009, 06:00:50 PM »

I'm late to this, but I like Daniel Lanois' production on Oh Mercy. I just dislike highly the sequencing and the choice of songs in some places. Was wondering if John Stone could re-sequence OH MERCY without "What Good am I," "Disease of Content," "What Was It You Wanted" and with "Dignity," "Series of Dreams," "Born in Time" and "God Knows" (the last two from Tell Tale Hearts). Could you do that? Thanks...

I agree with you, both about Lanois' production, and the sequencing. I gave your alternate Oh Mercy a shot:

1. God Knows
2. Dignity
3. Ring Them Bells
4. Political World
5. Where Teardrops Fall
6. Man In The Long Black Coat
7. Born In Time
8. Everything Is Broken
9. Shooting Star
10. Series Of Dreams
11. Most Of The Time
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 13, 2009, 07:32:51 PM »

I agree with you, both about Lanois' production, and the sequencing. I gave your alternate Oh Mercy a shot:

1. God Knows
2. Dignity
3. Ring Them Bells
4. Political World
5. Where Teardrops Fall
6. Man In The Long Black Coat
7. Born In Time
8. Everything Is Broken
9. Shooting Star
10. Series Of Dreams
11. Most Of The Time
Thanks a bunch!

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: April 29, 2009, 04:01:31 PM »

Anybody listen to Together Through Life yet? Opinions?
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 29, 2009, 04:22:00 PM »

I enjoyed it. I love the sound of the band and the recording, so it's another winner on the production/engineering front, in my opinion. My first thoughts on it are that it's hit and miss, song-wise. But of course, first thoughts change and for me historically that is especially true of thoughts on Dylan. But I bought four albums yesterday and it probably isn't my favorite of the four. In fact, it might be third!

TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 29, 2009, 05:05:52 PM »

Will get it very soon, probably Friday.

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 29, 2009, 11:52:20 PM »

i liked it too, it's much better than Modern Times. That record went on forever. And there's a part of me that wishes he'd go back to acoustic Bob...

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
8o8o
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 30, 2009, 04:44:24 AM »

I like it. It's a very accessible record (his most accessible in years), with a relaxed, loose, Ry Cooder-ish, sunny, sometimes romantic sound. David Hidalgo's accordion sounds great.

But Bob wouldn't be Bob if there wasn't something darker hiding beneath the surface. There's three or four tunes, the bluesier ones, that remind me of "Modern Times".

Favourite songs at the moment: "I Feel A Change Comin' On" and "If You Ever Go To Houston" and "Life Is Hard".

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx