gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:07:33 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bob Dylan Thread  (Read 63010 times)
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 01, 2009, 06:10:02 PM »

Saw a commercial during the Super Bowl featuring Bob Dylan. He was singing a fast version of "Forever Young". For anybody who saw it, do you when this version was recorded?
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 01, 2009, 06:10:59 PM »

Not watching and didn't see, but I heard he had just done one with ... maybe will.I.am or someone? I forget. I assume it was that.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 01, 2009, 06:17:05 PM »

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2009/01/30/bob-dylan-teams-up-with-william-for-pepsi-super-bowl-commercial/

http://www.thedailyswarm.com/watch/bob-dylan-and-williams-pepsi-commercial/
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 06:26:18 PM by Luther » Logged

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 01, 2009, 06:57:24 PM »

Yep, that's it! Obviously, it gets my vote for the best commercial during the Super Bowl.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 02, 2009, 12:08:04 AM »

I am totally into 'Tell Tale Signs' (2 CD of course) these days. It's by far the best Dylan release of the last, um, 20 years to me (and I do like 'Time Out Of Mind' and 'Modern Times' a lot).

I also got a copy of the 3rd CD (from the TTT limited edition 3CD box) for free. Which is nice.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 02, 2009, 03:59:31 PM »

I am totally into 'Tell Tale Signs' (2 CD of course) these days. It's by far the best Dylan release of the last, um, 20 years to me (and I do like 'Time Out Of Mind' and 'Modern Times' a lot).

Yeah, it's always a kick to discover some "new" Dylan material. On Tell Tale Signs, for me it is "Red River Shore". How could Dylan record a song that great - and not release it?
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 02, 2009, 05:02:42 PM »

Tell Tale Signs is great. It's almost like a new album even with all the alternate versions of songs we know. THe live stuff, while good, isn't as good for me. But those alternates/outtakes, wow. Fantastic album. If my best songs could compete with his outtakes...

8o8o
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 05, 2009, 05:23:58 AM »

Great news for every Dylan nut:

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/26445175/dylan_records_surprise_modern_times_followup

Cool

phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 05, 2009, 08:37:50 AM »

Excellent news. I really appreciate the bleaker side of Dylan's lyrics these days, Workingman's Blues #2 being my very favorite post-Blood-On-The-Tracks song of his.
P.J.
Smiley Smile Associate

The least you could do is smile.

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 05, 2009, 12:04:01 PM »

I am a huge Dylan fan. I ate up the 3CD Bootleg Series, Vol. 9 the day it came out. All the versions of "Mississippi"... I'm in heaven.

I am only Live at Buddokan and MTV Unplugged away from owning all the official Dylan albums... except of course the countless soundtrack songs.

I saw him at Austin City Limits... I was front row. He played by two favorite songs "Workingman's Blues #2" and "I Shall Be Released". The best night of my life.

I am a big fan of his country & western period between "The Basement Tapes" and Pat Garrett. I also went through a phase of his "born again" period. The harmonica solo in "What Can I Do For You?" is Dylan at his best.

"I heard the word -- wonderful thing -- a children's song."
P.J.
Smiley Smile Associate

The least you could do is smile.

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 05, 2009, 12:08:55 PM »

YES! The description sound incredible. I'm thinking this is gonna be the final chapter in his trilogy of kick-a$$ albums.... Love & Theft/Modern Times/"New Album"

"I heard the word -- wonderful thing -- a children's song."
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 06, 2009, 12:01:42 PM »

YES! The description sound incredible. I'm thinking this is gonna be the final chapter in his trilogy of kick-a$$ albums.... Love & Theft/Modern Times/"New Album"

Can I extend this to 'quadrilogy' (Time Out of Mind) and throw in the 'Things Have Changed' single too? Thanks.

One of the (many) reasons I love Dylan's late career renaissance is that he pays such meticulate attention to the SOUND of the music. For all the recent talk on the SS boards about brickwalling and overly-compressed records, Dylan's LPs, especially Modern Times have such an incredible depth and richness of sound. Modern Times LP is never far from my turntable simply because it sounds beautiful.

Having said that, I still don't like Workingman's Blues #2. Some good lyrics and i love the sentiment, but the melody, and the piano, sound like they were written in the 80s. And not in a good way. It reminds me of a song that I can't quite place.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 07, 2009, 05:21:46 PM »

This new Dylan album has me really excited. I don't buy many "new" albums anymore, but I can't wait for this. Maybe he'll tour it in the U.S. this summer.

I'm trying very slowly to convert my brother-in-law to Bob Dylan; he hates him. So, just tonight, I was looking for one song, just the right song, to initiate him (I emailed it to him). And I chose "Tangled Up In Blue". After "Lay Lady Lay", it might be my favorite Dylan song. And, unlike some groups, my favorite Dylan songs don't change that much.

I know it's very elementary and simple and probably boring, but I'm curious....What is everybody's favorite Bob Dylan song?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 05:35:04 PM by Sheriff John Stone » Logged
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 07, 2009, 05:46:24 PM »

Five songs that come to mind immediately:

- To Ramona
- Workingman's Blues #2
- If Not For You
- If You See Her, Say Hello
- Desolation Row (love his singing here)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 05:51:23 PM by phirnis » Logged
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 07, 2009, 05:55:38 PM »

Like with my other favorite bands, it's impossible for me to choose a favorite Dylan song. But Visions of Johanna, I Want You, Mississippi, It's All Over Now Baby Blue, the Live 66 version of Like a Rolling Stone, Maggie's Farm...oh hell, there are a million up there.

Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: March 07, 2009, 07:20:53 PM »

Am I the only one here who can't stand Bob Dylan  Huh
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 07, 2009, 07:22:05 PM »

Am I the only one here who can't stand Bob Dylan  Huh
In the Bob Dylan thread, probably. Otherwise, no.

grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 07, 2009, 11:24:34 PM »

I think it's a toss-up between Simple Twist of Fate and Going to Acapulco at this exact moment

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 08, 2009, 08:20:38 AM »

Impossible to pick just once, but "Tangled Up in Blue," "Like a Rolling Stone," "Sad Eyed Lady," "Hurricane," "Can You please Crawl Out Your Window" and "Tears of Rage" are my immediate choices

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
8o8o
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 08, 2009, 09:51:04 AM »

Some of my favourites:

"Love Minus Zero/No Limit"
"Gates Of Eden"
"Desolation Row"
"Visions Of Johanna"
"Changing Of The Guards"
"Lovesick"
"Tangled Up In Blue"
"Series Of Dreams"
"Blind Willie McTell"
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 08, 2009, 09:56:15 AM »

Everything on Love & Theft, too, except "Tweedle Dee & Tweedle Dum," ranks really high on my list. Well, they would if I had a list.

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 08, 2009, 04:11:59 PM »

It's great how so many people have totally different favorites; there's hardly any duplicates. That would make Dylan happy, I guess...

For me, there's a couple that haven't changed for awhile:

1. "Lay Lady Lay"
2. "Tangled Up In Blue"
3. "Like A Rolling Stone"

and some specific versions that I like:

4. "It's Alright Ma, I'm Only Bleeding" (30th Anniversary Concert)
5. "Girl From The North Country" (Real Live)
6. "Love Minus Zero/No Limit" (Live In Budokan)

and a few newer ones:

7. "Summer Days"
8. "God Knows"
9. "Cold Irons Bound"
10. "Red River Shore" (my new favorite)

Luther, when I first heard "Tweedle Dee & Tweedle Dum", I didn't care for it. But, Dylan kept playing it, and I kept listening to it. I figured the reason Dylan kept performing it was because he LIKED it, and, maybe because he felt it had some merit, and he wanted it to be heard. It grew on me; it kind of rocks; I like the drums and guitar....
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 08, 2009, 04:26:43 PM »

I think the fade-in is what I don't like, odd as that may be as a reason for judgment.

TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 08, 2009, 05:27:55 PM »

4. "It's Alright Ma, I'm Only Bleeding" (30th Anniversary Concert)
I thought the version from "Before the Flood" was definitive. As well as "Don't Think Twice" from the same show; just terrific acoustic versions that are in my Dylan top 10.

My new favorite is "Cross the Green Mountain," haven't got into "Red River" yet...

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 09, 2009, 03:26:44 PM »

My new favorite is "Cross the Green Mountain...

Yeah, that's a good one. I hadn't heard it til Tell Tale Signs, even though it was released on some soundtrack.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx