gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
641098 Posts in 25598 Topics by 3641 Members - Latest Member: MilkyWay December 13, 2018, 09:25:40 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bob Dylan Thread  (Read 28537 times)
Watamushi(Polly Poller)
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: December 03, 2017, 06:10:07 AM »

Came across live version of 'I Want You' from 1981 tour on a Dylan forum. This sounds fantastic!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loGGv2bX-QE
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: December 03, 2017, 07:55:50 AM »

I must confess that the studio version of I Want You is not one of my favorite Dylan songs. But this version is great. Sounds like he really wants her!

(The middle portion of the video is of my city, New Orleans)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 10:22:58 AM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon
Watamushi(Polly Poller)
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: December 03, 2017, 08:05:40 AM »

I must confess that the studio version of I Want You is not one of my favorite Dylan songs. But this version is great. Sounds like he really wants her!

(The middle portion of the video is of my city, New Orkeans)
It was apparently performed in your city, according to Dylan fans on said forum.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: March 29, 2018, 02:56:50 PM »

Just finished reading "The Monk's Record Player: Thomas Merton, Bob Dylan, and the Perilous Summer of 1966."
 Had to read it as I'm a fan of Merton and Dylan. Primarily a bio of Merton, a Catholic Trappist monk in Kentucky, it describes how, during a turbulent time in his life, he came to listen to the record Highway 61 Revisited and was blown away. He asked a friend to send some more albums - he was able to borrow a record player to listen to them. Dylan's poetry moved him tremendously and he tried to meet him but was unsuccessful (he did meet Joan Baez a couple of times). His last record purchase was John Wesley Harding.
The book shows the parallel events taking place with the two, how Dylan's poetry influenced Mertons (and in a way you can say that he "went electric", leaving fans scratching their heads in dismay). It's not a long book but I found it very engaging.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 02:59:18 PM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 21, 2018, 12:28:36 PM »

I've ranked all of Dylan's albums through Desire. Only omitting Before The Flood and greatest hits compilations. This ranking reflects my personal preference. No attempt to be objective! None at all. Feel free to express your disbelief.

1. Another Side of Bob Dylan
2. Blood on the Tracks
3. The Times They Are A'Changin'
4. Bringing It All Back Home
5. Highway 61 Revisited
6. The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan
7. New Morning
8. Desire
9. Planet Waves
10. Bob Dylan
11. John Wesley Harding
12. Blonde on Blonde
13. Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid
14. Dylan
15. Nashville Skyline
16. The Basement Tapes
17. Self Portrait
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: November 10, 2018, 08:49:46 PM »

Wasn't able to catch him when he was in our general vicinity, but have been intrigued about how he honors singers/songwriters in the various places he performs.
Heard a very interesting take on James Brown's It's a Man's, Man's, Man's World at his concert in Augusta, Georgia; and Johnny Mercer's Moon River in Savannah.

Trying to get the time to listen to, first, Blood on the Tracks, and then, the newly released More Blood on the Tracks. Anybody hear this yet?

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx