gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 09:11:35 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Still Cruisin'/Summer in Paradise Two-fer?  (Read 12500 times)
analogdemon
Smiley Smile Associate

I've been in this town so long...

View Profile
« on: January 25, 2006, 09:06:33 AM »

Hey everyone,

Here's a question...

Say for the sake of merdas and grins that Still Cruisin' and Summer in Paradise were re-released as a two-fer.  While this might be some fans' worst nightmare, here's my question.

a) Would you buy it?
b) What would you like to see in it in terms of artwork/liner notes, etc.  Who would be the right person to write liner notes for Still Cruisin'?  Summer in Paradise?

Let's have a discussion.
-----

Truthfully, I think if they re-released it as a two-fer, it goes without saying that I'd like to see reproductions of all the SIP artwork and possibly the "Still Cruisin' indeed" blurb that's inside the CD booklet for Still Cruisin'.  To me, it really wouldn't matter who wrote the liner notes, though I bet Terry Melcher could have written some interesting notes, but since he's dead, I guess it's a moot point.

I once had a dream so I packed up and split for the city.  I soon found out that my lonely life wasn't so pretty.
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2006, 09:56:25 AM »

I'd love to see this. Mostly for Still Cruisin, which aside for the moldy oldies, is a pretty decent record. I'd like to see them remove the old hits and fill out the album with other non-LP cuts that haven't been collected properly on CD, like "Rock and Roll to the Rescue". Plenty 80's material floating around. Would be a pretty good package. It should be done, for the sake of completion. Let the world know that the Beach Boys recording output did not end with BB '85 (although in some cases, maybe it should have!  :D)

1) I would buy it.
2) Let Mike write the notes and explain himself.
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2006, 10:27:06 AM »

I agree with Bubba, a Still Cruisin' plus all those other eighties tracks that are scattered between singles, soundtracks and Made in USA would be fine. I even compiled a CD like this. There's enough decent material so that the die-hard fan can program a 35 minute album out of that mess.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2006, 01:59:44 PM »

Good idea.  There's a lot of shite on it but I'm a completist and I don't have Bummer, for some strange reason... I have a lot of the 'extra' tracks floating around from that period on bootleg.  Love to have the alt version of Somewhere Near Japan as a bonus track!
monkee knutz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2006, 06:34:36 PM »

There's enough decent material so that the die-hard fan can program a 35 minute album out of that mess.
Uh oh, could be trouble!?  Shocked LOOK OUT BELOW!!!
Perhaps a CD single with one bonus track?  Grin
Swamp Pirate
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2006, 07:22:13 PM »

If they added a bunch of bonus tracks I'd probably buy the damn thing. 
Jason
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2006, 07:23:54 PM »

Yeah, I'd definitely like to see a release of a two-fer! There could definitely be lots of bonus tracks. But most likely, the non-album rarities rate inclusion on a future compilation. How about the movie versions of the Still Cruisin' tracks featured in movies? A lot of them are drastically different.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2006, 07:36:32 PM »

i'd buy it for sure...uncle jessie didnt have a poster of SIP in his room for nothing!
no but seriously, Still Cruisin was my first bb album (on cassette) and i loved it...
i'd love to hear some better quality versions of In my Car & Still Cruisin.
i've never heard SIP ever...im wonderin what the Surfin sounds like...
there's a small clip of them singing surfin' on a documentry, seems like it was set around a campfire or something...seem very 80s...bruce forgets the words or something

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2006, 07:50:30 PM »

I'd definitely buy it, but then again I'm lame and enjoy most of the tracks I've heard from the two albums.

As for who to write the liner notes? Anyone but John Stamos!

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Third Coast
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2006, 07:10:24 AM »

Love to have the alt version of Somewhere Near Japan as a bonus track!

What's that like?  Didn't know it existed...or am I missing the joke?
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2006, 07:13:19 AM »

I'd definately buy it because Summer In Paradise is the only official BB album I don't have.
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2006, 09:16:34 AM »

Papa John’s original version of “Somewhere Near Japan”, called “Fairytale Girl”, is an even better song. The Beach Boys should have recorded it as it was. Japan was not the main topic of the song, but they ‘Boys took that one line and ran with it. It had a very different chorus.  Many of the original elements are there, but juxtaposed around.

Does anyone have a recording of this? I heard it one time, on the Howard Stern show, just that one time, and it’s stuck with me ever since. It was incredible. It’s that kind of song. The kind of thing you wait forever to hear again.
Jason
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2006, 11:16:18 AM »

Love to have the alt version of Somewhere Near Japan as a bonus track!

What's that like?  Didn't know it existed...or am I missing the joke?

It's a shorter, punchier mix. Superior to the album version, in my opinion.
Christian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2010, 01:12:10 AM »

Papa John’s original version of “Somewhere Near Japan”, called “Fairytale Girl” , is an even better song. The Beach Boys should have recorded it as it was. Japan was not the main topic of the song, but they ‘Boys took that one line and ran with it. It had a very different chorus.  Many of the original elements are there, but juxtaposed around.

Does anyone have a recording of this? I heard it one time, on the Howard Stern show, just that one time, and it’s stuck with me ever since. It was incredible. It’s that kind of song. The kind of thing you wait forever to hear again.

"Fairy Tale Girl", along with the original John Phillips version of "Kokomo" is just released on the CD "Many Mamas, Many Papas" on Varese Sarabande. Great listening!

http://www.amazon.com/Many-Mamas-Papas-John-Phillips/dp/samples/B003KNDMAO/ref=dp_tracks_all_1
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2010, 07:25:16 AM »

Has to have liners by AGD

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2010, 08:11:13 AM »

That would truly be a "for collectors only" reissue.

If it runs amuck, call the duck
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2010, 09:37:02 AM »

Only if this is the cover (without text), the back (with no tracklist), and the image on the disc (with no text):

Otherwise, my interest in this is about at 0%.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 09:39:49 AM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2010, 09:49:11 AM »

Nausea (Latin nausea, from Greek ναυσίη, nausiē, "seasickness" "wamble"[1]), is a sensation of unease and discomfort in the upper stomach with an urge to vomit.
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2010, 10:25:06 AM »

I would buy it for sure. Even if those albums are scorned for the most part, there's still Carl Wilson's voice on it and that's good enough for me.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2010, 10:38:01 AM »

I would buy it for sure. Even if those albums are scorned for the most part, there's still Carl Wilson's voice on it and that's good enough for me.

TIME TO TURN INTO A GIIIIIIIIIIIIIRRRL

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2010, 12:34:43 PM »

See, it's threads like these -- where people actually think there is something salvageable about the Beach Boys beyond (very charitably!) 1980 -- that I question whether I am, in fact, a Beach Boys fan...
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2010, 01:12:42 PM »

No way, man - that's up there with GIOMH. The check that big hasn't been written yet.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2010, 01:19:40 PM »

Of course there's good stuff after 1980. Gets hard to find at times, but there are good tracks on BB85, and Still Cruisin has "Somewhere Near Japan." SIP is pretty tough going, but Al has some nice moments, and the title track had a good live version in the late 90s.

I guess it comes down to -- basically -- if you like the BBs for their brilliant work alone. I think a lot of folks here -- myself included -- crossed a barrier when it comes to albums like Love You and some of 15BO, when you begin to love them for the whacked-out moments too. And it's a short distance from there to listening to "Problem Child."
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 01:23:07 PM by Wirestone » Logged
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2010, 01:41:56 PM »

No way, man - that's up there with GIOMH. The check that big hasn't been written yet.  Grin
Nobody said the liners had to be kind. You're telling me you wouldn't take up the offer if given free reign!?

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2010, 02:06:02 PM »

I'd buy it!

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx