gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:40:57 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: any albums similar to  (Read 4403 times)
wiggbuggie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 03, 2007, 12:30:38 PM »

smile? I loved smile because of the originality the complex lyrics and it was just something totally different. The only album i can think of is the who who's next or tommy
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2007, 01:11:57 PM »

I don't believe there is another album similar to Smile in lyrical and musical content AND quality. However, there are some bands that have tried to mix the sorts of traditional sunshine pop for which the Beach Boys were best known with more allegedly avante garde fare. The ones that come to mind immediately are Olivia Tremor Control's Dusk at Cubist Castle and Black Foliage. I wouldn't rank either one as anywhere near as good, but I think they were attempting that sort of album.

The two you mentioned don't resemble Smile much at all to these ears.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2007, 01:42:47 PM »

smile? I loved smile because of the originality the complex lyrics and it was just something totally different. The only album i can think of is the who who's next or tommy

Check out the band the High LLamas.  They've made a career out of emulating Brian Wilson's songwriting style.  I only have their album Hawaii but they've put out a few albums and they all are in the style of either Pet Sounds and SMiLE.

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2007, 02:01:34 PM »

Check out the band the High LLamas.  They've made a career out of emulating Brian Wilson's songwriting style.  I only have their album Hawaii but they've put out a few albums and they all are in the style of either Pet Sounds and SMiLE.

I'd say that they are largely more in the style of tracks like Diamond Head or Busy Doin Nothin, although things like Love to Say Dada certainly are obvious references, too. The problem with High Llamas is that if you're not (high), you're probably going to get bored with their incessant repetition. Three, four, five minutes on a single idea. Very well arranged, nice-sounding...but boring.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2007, 05:51:40 PM »

I'd say that they are largely more in the style of tracks like Diamond Head or Busy Doin Nothin, although things like Love to Say Dada certainly are obvious references, too. The problem with High Llamas is that if you're not (high), you're probably going to get bored with their incessant repetition. Three, four, five minutes on a single idea. Very well arranged, nice-sounding...but boring.

That's why I only have one album by them.   Smiley  Still, if you crave Brian Wilsonish music they're worth a listen.  Another group I can think of that a Beach Boys fan might take interest in is a group called The Chamber Strings.  I think they only put out two albums.  I have one of them, Month of Sundays.  While they don't necessarily capture the SMiLE sound, they have a very Beach Boys-like sound with some Beatles thrown in.  One song, "The Fool Sings Without A Song" is ear candy not too distant from what the Beach Boys used to do.

http://www.amazon.com/Month-Sundays-Chamber-Strings/dp/B00005AKGS/ref=sr_1_1/002-7817082-2084027?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1186188500&sr=1-1
« Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 05:53:53 PM by Awesoman » Logged

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Mark H.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2007, 07:07:25 PM »

Jellyfish....Spilt Milk.  It's a wonderful album that is similar to......something.
Reggie Dunbar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2007, 10:57:58 PM »

Love - Forever Changes.

Not as showy, guitar-oriented, but mystical and disturbing, lots of surprises
and beautiful arrangements. A masterpiece of Smile - like proportions, by a
genius with problems of his own.  Evil R.I.P. A. Lee

No Wilson's = No Beach Boys.

Beware of Imitators. Est. 2006
thomasogg
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2007, 07:43:58 AM »

There's a cracking UK band called 'Super Furry Animals' that I'd highly recommend to any BB fans - they even released an album entitled 'Under The Influence', featuring songs/artists that've influenced them, and it featured 'Feel Flows' and Dennis' 'Lady'. Anyway, almost any album by them is gonna be a winner, but the most BB-like I'd say is 'Radiator' (refered to as a techno-'Friends' in one review), 'Rings Around The World' (VERY experimental!) and, perhaps more than any others, 'Guerilla', which is full of terrific melodies and gorgeous harmonies.. Have patience though, they are very eccentric and prone to singing in Welsh.
No. Fourteen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2007, 08:11:52 AM »

Aside from Phantom Planet (which I never got a handle on for some reason), totally agree regarding SFA.  Just get a listen to the title track for RATW, and try not to grin from ear to ear!  Great stuff, and I also agree re: Guerilla.  I've obsessed over that one in particular for years.  Even "Wherever I Lay My Phone", which is a good example of the eccentric tendancies of the band.  It's like a krautrock track about cell phone addiction!
« Last Edit: August 04, 2007, 08:17:00 AM by No. Fourteen » Logged
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2007, 11:51:04 AM »

I would like to take exception to calling the Beach Boys' music Sunshine Pop. I believe S.P. is a hipster term for California Folk-Rock, like The Sunshine Company, and has nothing to do with the dynamic pop songs BW was creating. Someone also claimed Jan & Dean were sunshine pop on another board, but this tag is really getting out of hand.

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2007, 12:15:06 PM »

The exception you've taken is noted, but as for whether the term is used specifically in reference to some CA folk-rock or not, I neither know nor care. I meant it generally, hence the lower case letters.

I stand behind my remark, which was "the sort of sunshine pop for which the Beach Boys were best known." And the music for which they were best known is pop music that can very easily be considered "sunshiny" (I don't think that's a word.): songs like California Girls, I Get Around, Help Me Rhonda, etc. are the very soundtrack of the sun for many people. I didn't say the Beach Boys are limited to that kind of music, which obviously they aren't. But I think "sunshine pop" is a perfectly acceptable description for songs of that nature.

wiggbuggie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2007, 08:49:37 PM »

found some more albums some of you might wanna hear by jan and dean

http://www.amazon.com/Save-Rainy-Day-Jan-Dean/dp/B000003H11/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/105-2702206-0690033?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1186372135&sr=1-1

and the zombies oddyssey and the oracle

Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2007, 10:24:41 PM »

Someone mentioned Olivia Tremor Control earlier which is good. Although I think that they sound more like the late 60s Beatles. Their record company, Elephant 6 is full of great psychadelic bands, but my personal favorite that IMO sounds the most like Smile is the Music Tapes album "Imaginary Symphony for Nomad"

http://www.amazon.com/Imaginary-Symphony-Nomad-Music-Tapes/dp/B00000J69Y/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-0645159-2422312?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1186377530&sr=1-1

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2007, 09:36:24 AM »

OK, this one isn't as amazing or complex as SMiLE, but it has some of the same flavor in a lot of it:  the Fugu album, which somebody on the SmileShop board recommended a few years back.

You can get it for cheap on eMusic, and it's really a good listen.  Better than any of the Elephant 6 groups, for my money.  It's got a bit of Sgt. Pepper feel to it too.  And some of it is in French.  Don't let that stop you!

If you like SMiLE, I'd also recommend Odyssey & Oracle by the Zombies, the Dukes of Stratosphear CD (and by extension, XTC's 'Skylarking'),  All Night Radio, "There's Gonna Be A Storm" by the Left Banke, Imperial Bedroom by Elvis Costello.  You should also move to LA and go see Jon Brion at Largo every Friday night that he plays there (not as often lately, sadly.  If you want something SMiLE-like by him on record, try and find his cover of the Hollies' Sorry Suzanne, on the Hollies tribute CD.)

I understand your desire and frustration--for better or worse, there really isn't anything new and undiscovered that equals SMiLE. 

Probably the best thing to do:  get GarageBand, a bunch of garage-sale instruments, a good Shure microphone-- and make your own!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2007, 12:58:10 PM »

Someone mentioned Olivia Tremor Control earlier which is good. Although I think that they sound more like the late 60s Beatles. Their record company, Elephant 6 is full of great psychadelic bands, but my personal favorite that IMO sounds the most like Smile is the Music Tapes album "Imaginary Symphony for Nomad"

http://www.amazon.com/Imaginary-Symphony-Nomad-Music-Tapes/dp/B00000J69Y/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-0645159-2422312?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1186377530&sr=1-1

I'm a big E6 fan, too, but a lot of those bands leaned even further into Beatles territory than OTC, in my opinion. Still, fans of late 60s music, be it Beatles, Kinks, Beach Boys, Byrds, Zombies or others, will often find something to their liking among those acts.

For something totaly un-Smile-like, (but E6 related), check out the newest Hawk and a Hacksaw EP. It comes with a DVD, and is really tremendous. Hungarian folk music-style instrumentals. Really fun.

Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2007, 02:16:14 PM »

Lumpy Gravy is closer to what most fans envisioned Smile to be than SMile itself, IMO - worth taking a listen if you like sophomoric comedy skits, audio verite, concrete and avant garde music, all edited together into one epic work.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2007, 02:23:26 PM »

Lumpy Gravy is closer to what most fans envisioned Smile to be than SMile itself, IMO - worth taking a listen if you like sophomoric comedy skits, audio verite, concrete and avant garde music, all edited together into one epic work.

Of course, if you like Lumpy Gravy, you can take it to the extreme and get Civilization Phaze III, which is basically an extension of the same idea done in 1993 from old '60s tapes and various material done up until just before Frank passed away. It's a two-disc set and has some great packaging, if that matters to you.

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2007, 06:14:25 PM »

I would recommend The Flaming Lips album "Clouds Taste Metallic"... There are alot of little goodies in there that I (now) realize are very Brian Wilson.
wiggbuggie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2007, 07:44:03 PM »

interesting I remember smile was suppose to be kind of a comedy album. Brian did record a bunch of conversations and skits during that time period like the vegtable rant and such though  i think he was just messing around and not going to put those on the album.  Smiley smile had some funny and bizzare moments like the stoner laugh. I really wonder how smile would of been in 67..
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2007, 08:52:20 AM »

When I listen to DJ Mic Luv's SMiLE mix, I can certainly hear parts that sound like early Zappa.  The jokes before Worms and Heroes, the Vegetables arguments, it's very much like Lumpy Gravy in spots.  If you haven't heard this mix, try to track it down.  It is often my favorite fan mix of the '66-'67 material. 
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2007, 08:56:51 AM »

I also will give a shout-out to DJ Mic Luv's mix--I think it's the most original and entertaining of the remixes!

Just listened to the Purple Chick one for the first time yesterday--it's so close, that the little flaws make it miss by a furlong.  And I miss the missing leads.  (But the PC H&V is fantastic!)
wiggbuggie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2007, 09:31:22 AM »

does anyone know were i can find this mix it looks interesting or can upload their copy and post it on here
Reggie Dunbar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2007, 01:28:11 PM »

Nice calls on The Dukes Of Stratosphear and Lumpy Gravy. I'm throwing in
XTC's Nonsuch for more B.B.'s vibe.

No Wilson's = No Beach Boys.

Beware of Imitators. Est. 2006
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to: