gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681511 Posts in 27640 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 10, 2024, 10:38:16 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bruce interview  (Read 2325 times)
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 02, 2007, 02:06:44 PM »

http://www.venturacountystar.com/news/2007/aug/02/endless-harmony/
Uncomfortable Seat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2007, 02:54:39 PM »

what a square Brian's Trip

"There's one thing I do that's kind of a personal thing -- I tell jokes sometimes which are corny, which are outright stupid, and bomb. That, to me, is funny when nobody laughs."
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2007, 06:59:59 AM »

"The 2008 edition of The Beach Boys bears little resemblance to the tight unit of cousins, friends and brothers that Johnston first joined."

Is this a report from the future or what? Although I'm sure this statement will be true in five months as well!
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2007, 01:38:59 PM »

I didn't read the whole thing but it seems like the writer at least knew what he was talking about, which is always a plus.  Interesting how Bruce doesn't like talking about his contributions to the group.  Even if you look at his songwriting contributions with the group, even negligible these songs have played a part in the Beach Boys' history.

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Reggie Dunbar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2007, 10:28:55 PM »

Typical, reticent Bruce.....I will purchase his book, albeit reluctantly since he's
tipped us off that he's not dishing out the dirt. For a guy who's spent the better
part of the past two plus decades defending his set lists as "giving the people
what they want", I find it ironic he pulls a 180 when it comes to an opportunity
that could be regarded as historically significant to those of us eager to absorb
practically anything B.B.'s.....C'mon, B.J.- we bought "Going Public".  LOL

No Wilson's = No Beach Boys.

Beware of Imitators. Est. 2006
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2007, 10:50:44 PM »

I'll buy his book also, because, like Al (the other "normal" one), he always manages to say something completely off the wall, even moreso than Brian at times.

"The Nearest Faraway Place" (yes!), "Disney Girls" and "I Write The Songs" are classics. And you can never take that Grammy away from him. But I often wonder if Bruce has any regrets as far as his recorded output is concerned, specifically the quantity. Bruce always seemed to take the songwriting and production end very seriously. But for someone who has been in the music business for almost 50 years, you would think there would be more recorded songs from Bruce. He certainly talks a lot about songwriting and recording, and he's certainly had the opportunities. Maybe he's not done yet...
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2007, 09:29:22 PM »

I'll buy his book also, because, like Al (the other "normal" one), he always manages to say something completely off the wall, even moreso than Brian at times.

"The Nearest Faraway Place" (yes!), "Disney Girls" and "I Write The Songs" are classics. And you can never take that Grammy away from him. But I often wonder if Bruce has any regrets as far as his recorded output is concerned, specifically the quantity. Bruce always seemed to take the songwriting and production end very seriously. But for someone who has been in the music business for almost 50 years, you would think there would be more recorded songs from Bruce. He certainly talks a lot about songwriting and recording, and he's certainly had the opportunities. Maybe he's not done yet...

Of course, he's had some pretty scary production ideas with the Beach Boys:  the disco-fied version of "Here Comes The Night", the rappified version of "Wipe Out", and the Britney Spearsified version of "Surfin'" (something he and Mike Love recorded a few years ago and I've never heard).  What's next, the techno-fied version of "I Write The Songs"?   

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx