gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680813 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 01:45:50 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: BW Performing Sgt. Pepper? Really?  (Read 5731 times)
RONDEMON
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 01, 2007, 12:15:52 PM »

According to Rollingstone

"Brian Wilson will debut “That Lucky Old Sun (A Narrative),” his new collaboration with Van Dyke Parks, during a six-night run next month at London’s Royal Albert Hall. The concerts will also feature Wilson performing “Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band” to honor the fortieth anniversary of Wilson’s old art rivals’ classic album."

And the link...  http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2007/08/01/now-comp-outsells-prince-brian-wilson-announces-special-concerts-eminem-pushes-back-lp/
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 12:26:03 PM »

Can't say I'm surprised...

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,4194.msg69055.html#msg69055

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 01:21:26 PM »

I don't believe he's doing the album, but a single, yet-unnamed song. At least that's what the Blueboard admin says.

"A further highlight of the September concerts will be Brian singing one of his favorite Beatles songs, marking the 40th Anniversary of "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band." "

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 01:55:37 PM »

Ok, so we pretty much already know which one it is

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2007, 02:13:46 PM »

Ok, so we pretty much already know which one it is

Huh?? Not a clue?Huh?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2007, 03:15:32 PM »

Which song has the smallest vocal range ?

Hint - side 1, band 2.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2007, 03:21:55 PM »

Hint - side 1, band 2.

Lame.  Roll Eyes   Wink
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2007, 04:20:32 PM »

Hint - side 1, band 2.

Lame.  Roll Eyes   Wink

I actually thought he'd do that song too, but mostly because the sentiments in the lyrics would probably appeal to Brian more than say, "She's Leaving Home."
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2007, 04:29:42 PM »

It's gonna be "Let it Be." He's already performed that with the band at a tribute show, and it's one of his favorite Beatle tunes. Just a guess.
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2007, 04:35:10 PM »

He already cut With A Little Help once in the past, so that shows his favoratism for that song. Or, if we take the original quote at face value, he will be performing the title song. I certainly wouldn't want to pay money to watch Brian play Sgt. Pepper for 40 minutes, unless of course Sir Paul was on the other side of the bill playing Pet Sounds, and then in the third act they perform a strange Love You/Ram hybrid that makes no sense to anyone other than the bizarre ensemble up on the stage.
El Goodo
Smiley Smile Associate

coffee man

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2007, 04:36:56 PM »

I think I read a few times that  "She´s leaving home" was has favourite track from Sgt Peppers.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2007, 05:17:52 PM »

I think I read a few times that  "She´s leaving home" was has favourite track from Sgt Peppers.

That's not too surprising...I bet he loves the string arrangement. 

If it wasn't so difficult to perform, I would almost bet he'd do "A Day In the Life". 
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2007, 07:03:26 PM »

It's gonna be "Let it Be." He's already performed that with the band at a tribute show, and it's one of his favorite Beatle tunes. Just a guess.
Brian doing let it be would be pretty good... except Let It Be is from, well... Let It Be, and not Sgt. Pepper's.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2007, 11:02:09 PM »

If Ringo sung it in the first place i'm sure Brian will have no problem with it - then again when listening to Brian doing  'Barbara Ann' at Ringos birthday party I start praying that Ringo sings that instead!

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2007, 11:13:36 PM »

But if you read the press release, it doesn't say that Brian is going to perform a song from Sgt. Peppers.

It says he'll perform a Beatles song in honor of Sgt. Pepper's 40th. So technically, it could be anything. I'm pulling for Revolution No. 9.
chris.metcalfe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2007, 01:02:23 AM »

Perhaps he could do Happiness is a Warm Gun in honour of Phil Spector.
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2007, 03:03:57 AM »

and then in the third act they perform a strange Love You/Ram hybrid that makes no sense to anyone other than the bizarre ensemble up on the stage.

Drool Banana

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2007, 03:10:10 AM »

But if you read the press release, it doesn't say that Brian is going to perform a song from Sgt. Peppers.

It says he'll perform a Beatles song in honor of Sgt. Pepper's 40th. So technically, it could be anything. I'm pulling for Revolution No. 9.

So he'll be honouring a landmark album by performing... a song from another album entirely ?  Pure Blueboard logic.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2007, 03:28:21 AM »

What a bummer. I had hoped for a few songs from The Beach Boys Love You being played in honor of its 30th anniversary. That said, why not do songs from both those albums? Like When I'm 64 and Roller Skating Child straight in a row. Now that might be fun.
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2007, 06:08:35 AM »

This is from NME.com:

Brian Wilson reveals full details of new song cycle
And there will be a Beatles cover on the forthcoming tour too
01.Aug.07 4:06pm

Beach Boys legend Brian Wilson has revealed more details about the brand new piece of music he intends to premiere on his UK tour next month - as well as revealing what other surprises are in store for fans.

The star will perform 'That Lucky Old Sun (a narrative)' in its' entirety for the first time on the tour, which kicks off with a six-night stint at London's Royal Festival Hall.

Wilson says the piece "will consist of five 'rounds' with interspersed spoken word". It is based on the classic 1949 song 'That Lucky Old Sun', and though the new song suite will contain elements of the tune, there will also be newly composed songs too, one of which is called 'Midnight's Another Day'.

The work was put together with Wilson's old collaborator Van Dyke Parks, who wrote the lyrics for the seminal 'Smile' album.

Wilson said: "I'm so excited to get back to the Royal Festival Hall and for all of my UK fans to hear my new composition 'That Lucky Old Sun (a narrative)'. I honestly can't think of a better place in the world to premiere it."

The set will also feature many back catalogue classics which Wilson has never performed live before, and an as-yet-unconfirmed cover of a track from The Beatles' 'Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band', marking the 40th anniversary of the album's release.

http://www.nme.com/news/brian-wilson/30061

Glenn Greenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2007, 10:54:07 AM »

<<<The set will also feature many back catalogue classics which Wilson has never performed live before>>>

Very intriguing.

Hell, if he brings this show to NYC, I'll go see him yet again!

Glenn
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2007, 07:31:27 PM »

My total guess would also be "With A Little Help...". Not only did the BB's cut it back in 1967, I recall around 1995 the San Francisco ABC affiliate did an interview with Brian Wilson (at his home I think), presumably to tie in with the Beatles Anthology that was airing around that time. They plugged his latest projects (the "IJWMFTT" film and CD, and "Orange Crate Art"), but they also had Brian talking about the Beatles to tie in to the Beatles Anthology promotional blitz. I remember Brian playing and singing "With A Little Help..." during the segment, and he commented on how much he liked the song. I can't remember if he played "She's Leaving Home." I think he played another Beatles song as well. I'll have to dig out the videotape one of these days. It seemed strange back then that they devoted so much time to a Brian Wilson interview (and this wasn't some sort of entertainment program, they aired the interview on the regular news broadcast either in the evening or later at night), and the guy anchoring the interview segment really seemed to actually know a bit about Brian and seemed to stress that back then it was relatively rare to get Brian to sit down for an interview, I guess.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2007, 08:52:07 PM »

Ow, Andrew. Your smackdowns can hurt sometimes.
XY
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2007, 12:06:20 AM »

I can't remember if he played "She's Leaving Home."

I have an audio snippet of him playing & singing a bit of "She's Leaving Home". I thought it's an outtake from the "I Just Wasn't Made" film, but could be from an interview from that period. Anyway, it sounded very good and his voice (mid 90's, but a bit rough like in the mid 70's) gave the song a special touch, too bad he didn't play the whole song.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2007, 02:03:00 AM »

@HeyJude: Any chane you could upload thatvideo on youtube?

Anyway he played "With a little..." in that interview as well as "She's leaving home" and the last chord of "A day in the life". Wish he would've played a complete song though, but that's what we'll get with those London-concerts. Hope for good audience recordings or radio broadcasts...

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx